PDA

View Full Version : Compost Bin - invaded

nettie_b
12th April 2008, 20:09
hi all
not done much with my garden last couple of years bin a bit down and weather not been too good, however, i do keep up my compost and its pure black gold.

however, i have a visitor!! a RAT! i've tried wetting the compost and turning it daily - but the amount its chomping it must be massive by now!!

it turns it a treat, which is cool but i dont really want baby rats and the poo aint good for the garden with kids around. there's only veg matter in the compost tea bags etc so no meat - its a vegatarian rat. I just dont want it:nono:

Do you think i'm going to have to get the council in?

all help appreciated

nettie x

dune
12th April 2008, 20:13
you'll probably need the rat catcher
they won't live in the compost bin
more likely to be under a shed or decking

Poppyfields
12th April 2008, 20:15
how about a setting a rat trap (like a big mouse trap)... they love mars bars!!!

nettie_b
12th April 2008, 20:21
you'll probably need the rat catcher
they won't live in the compost bin
more likely to be under a shed or decking

that for that dune, funny you should mention decking - only got this done last year!!

have booked the council to come out week on monday, a free service

nettie_b
12th April 2008, 20:22
how about a setting a rat trap (like a big mouse trap)... they love mars bars!!!

hey, ur name reminds me - we had a problem with slugs coming into the house last year, i think a lot of ppl did due to all the rain!!

am on my own with the kids so am useless with these things

dune
12th April 2008, 20:27
that for that dune, funny you should mention decking - only got this done last year!!

have booked the council to come out week on monday, a free service

my son mentioned that his decking lights weren't working and when he took a couple of planks up he could see they had all been chewed.
Have a look around yours for any holes dug under it
I'd also try and seal your compost bin near the ground and maybe stop composting any food till you have sorted the problem

Hope that helps

Poppyfields
12th April 2008, 20:31
hey, ur name reminds me - we had a problem with slugs coming into the house last year, i think a lot of ppl did due to all the rain!!

am on my own with the kids so am useless with these things

Slugbug was my sons nick name when he was a kid.... (ate everthing in his trail ) Im a country girl so used to rats mice slugs etc.... put salt aound your doors (the slugs can get over ot - it kills them - or bear in platic cups sunk into your lawn (they die happy:))

nettie_b
13th April 2008, 00:08
Slugbug was my sons nick name when he was a kid.... (ate everthing in his trail ) Im a country girl so used to rats mice slugs etc.... put salt aound your doors (the slugs can get over ot - it kills them - or bear in platic cups sunk into your lawn (they die happy:))

i like that idea - get all the little critters p****d

Pearls
13th April 2008, 00:24

The bears round here are far too big to fit into plastic cups.............

Poppyfields
13th April 2008, 00:26
Buy larger cups... or drink bear by the bathfull:)

holliemon
13th April 2008, 10:11
We've had mice in our compost bin - its a huge shock when you open the lid and you see it running - after we had "met" a few times he just looked up and stared at me.

We live next to a wood so it is to be expected. I do draw the line when it is cold and they come in the house - well they come in the cupboard under the kitchen sink and they cant get any further - so down goes the traps.

nettie_b
14th April 2008, 17:29
We've had mice in our compost bin - its a huge shock when you open the lid and you see it running - after we had "met" a few times he just looked up and stared at me.

We live next to a wood so it is to be expected. I do draw the line when it is cold and they come in the house - well they come in the cupboard under the kitchen sink and they cant get any further - so down goes the traps.

snap!! I had a mouse stare me out and mice in the house lots of times, had the council out and i plastered up the hole where they were getting in... about 2 months later my next door neighbour asked me if i had any probs with mice as they had them in their house (heehee - they were my mice who moved!)

i too live in the country oppos fields and a valley with a brook, expect mice but i just aint living with rats!! never seen one and expect usually they live down the valley.

I dont think it helps that my dog died last year - a greyhound so rats probs stayed away.

Grace & Favour
14th April 2008, 18:05

Buy larger cups... or drink bear by the bathfull:)

I wonder - do Grizzly Bears drink beer?

Pearls
14th April 2008, 18:08
I wonder - do Grizzly Bears drink beer?
I don't know - but apparently they ****in the woods.

colman
2nd March 2009, 11:33
have just removed a dead rat from the top of our compost bin....our neighbour called out the council as the rats were living in his greenhouse but were feeding in our compost bin...they put down some poison....the rat decided to cark it on top of our bin....had the fright off my life when i saw it lying on top of it...had the right colleywobbles whilst removing it, it was horrid...

tyroleandancer
2nd March 2009, 11:36
have just removed a dead rat from the top of our compost bin....our neighbour called out the council as the rats were living in his greenhouse but were feeding in our compost bin...they put down some poison....the rat decided to cark it on top of our bin....had the fright off my life when i saw it lying on top of it...had the right colleywobbles whilst removing it, it was horrid...

yuk :eek:
I would like a compost bin but hubby has said NO - for that reason

britchic4
2nd March 2009, 11:43
Ugh, now I know why I don't have a compost bin - obviously nothing to do with my laziness. My parents have a rat problem at the moment, seems to like the bird food they have been putting out in the so-called squirrel proof containers. They aren't squirrel-proof or even rat-proof either.

ploppy
2nd March 2009, 13:00
I keep thinking of getting a compost bin, but it is the thought of rats and mice that put me off!:eek:

Grace & Favour
2nd March 2009, 13:16
I keep thinking of getting a compost bin, but it is the thought of rats and mice that put me off!:eek:

We've had a compost for 20 years - - wonderful stuff - - and, if you're unlucky enough to find a rat - - a simple trap will despatch it . . . and the compost will keep on providing wonderful stuff for your garden

abbie star 123
2nd March 2009, 14:10
had mice in my cupboard last summer got them by setting traps with mars bars its a myth that they like cheese. im truly hoping they dont come back i didnt want poison as they wander off to die(then ROT) wanted them dead and gone sorry to the nice animal lovers. p.s i need some bears to scare off my slugs too x

abbie star 123
2nd March 2009, 14:12
oh yeah just remembered my friend had a squirrel in her loft last yr it ate everything the council poisened it then they had big fat bluebottle flies buzzin round for a bit...nice

colman
2nd March 2009, 15:54
i have to say he did turn the compost over lovely...we usually get one that comes into it for the winter...but a bit of poison and they are soon gone...

Scrungee
2nd March 2009, 17:05
I've got all 8 of my plastic 'dialek' composters sitting on concrete bases (each with drainage holes in middle) to stop them burrowing under and with the hatches wired up to stop them squeezing in where the side of the hatch bows out, which has kept the rats out this winter:

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm69/Scrungee_photos/ratproof.jpg

As we poke around inside them to get brandling worms (hen treats/fishing bait), don't really want anything nasty taking up residence.

janedoe
2nd March 2009, 18:11
I don't know - but apparently they ****in the woods.

That reminds me of the bear and the rabbit joke:

A bear and the rabbit in the woods together and the bear asks the rabbit - Do have a problem with s*** sticking to your fur and the rabbit replies - No so the bear turns round and picks the rabbit up and wipes his @rse with the rabbit. :)