PDA

View Full Version : ebay charge back advice ?

karl0116
17th April 2008, 19:13
help my mate sold a xbox 360 on ebay few months ago now he has had a email from ebay saying the credit card is doing a charge back? and put his pal pay into debit the buyer has left good feedback and he has done like wise is there n e 1 who has any advice 4 him he has cancled his direct debit but dont what else to do:help:

amanda22
17th April 2008, 19:18
Has he tried contacting the buyer to see what his response may be.

It doesn't sound good to be honest, we had this with a buyer and after a long wait paypal stuck to the decision to keep the money, its a very long & complicated story so I won't bore you with the details but basically once paypal kept the money the only route open to us was the small claims court.

I really do think he should contact paypal and find out the reason for the chargeback and pull all the buyers details from ebay name, address, phone number and contact them to find out whats going on.

Is the buyers feedback still OK, ours was fine for a while then a LOAD of negs appeared.:)

Our*holiday*fund
17th April 2008, 21:48
Has he tried contacting the buyer to see what his response may be.

It doesn't sound good to be honest, we had this with a buyer and after a long wait paypal stuck to the decision to keep the money, its a very long & complicated story so I won't bore you with the details but basically once paypal kept the money the only route open to us was the small claims court.

I really do think he should contact paypal and find out the reason for the chargeback and pull all the buyers details from ebay name, address, phone number and contact them to find out whats going on.

Is the buyers feedback still OK, ours was fine for a while then a LOAD of negs appeared.:)

unfortunatly had this as well, with a us buyer and lost 180, doesnt sound good and aypal wont help at all sorry

angelic
18th April 2008, 13:17
help my mate sold a xbox 360 on ebay few months ago now he has had a email from ebay saying the credit card is doing a charge back? and put his pal pay into debit the buyer has left good feedback and he has done like wise is there n e 1 who has any advice 4 him he has cancled his direct debit but dont what else to do:help:

Unfortunately, if the buyer has filed with his credit card company for a chargeback, there is very little your friend can do :(
AFAIK, PayPal have to pay the money back to the credit card company and will then come after your friend for the money. If he hasn't got the money to pay to PayPal, they will persue the matter until they get it :(

Did your friend originally send the XBox 360 via Special Delivery/Courier - has he got a trcaking number which shows the item was delivered?
If he has this info, it is worth contacting PayPal and fighting the case, but TBH, I don't think he will get far :(
Does the buyer's feedback indicate anything similar may have happened? It may well not as the buyer has obviously played the game in allowing the seller to believe the transaction was fine before filing the chargeback :mad:

Otherwise, his only route is to take the buyer to Small Claims court....you can find out the info on this online. I believe it costs about 30 to bring the caes and if your friend won, the buyer would have to pay all the costs.

Please let us know what happens...

karl0116
18th April 2008, 13:24
thanks for advice the item was sent special delivery and has been in touch with pay pal with tracking number etc etc but now joy this far suppose he has to sit tight and wait and see what they say

amanda22
18th April 2008, 14:06
Has your friend contacted paypal for an explaination for the chargeback to see what they say.

In the end we had to hassle paypal to make a decision either way as they were very slow in deciding what to do.

I would NEVER EVER now take paypal for a large payment, its either cash or nothing, I even had a buyer turn up at my house to collect something with half the money and wanted to pay the other half through paypal and I refused, I hadn't agreed it beforehand and would under no circumstances take paypal from him.

It truly was a horrendous experience that I would never wish to repeat.:mad:

karl0116
18th April 2008, 21:25
just spoke to my mate he has phoned the buyer and he said he aint done chargeback but he has cancelled his ebay account and his credit card ??

Our*holiday*fund
18th April 2008, 21:50
just spoke to my mate he has phoned the buyer and he said he aint done chargeback but he has cancelled his ebay account and his credit card ??

you cant close your ebay account within 60 or 90 days (cant remember which) of your last transaction, also special delivery wont make a difference unfortunatly, we sent our parcel airsure to the US but it made no difference :rolleyes:

angelic
19th April 2008, 11:00

As OHF said, it takes several months for an Ebay account to be closed after a request is put in to do so - I can't remember the time period either without checking.

If he has cancelled his credit card, he would be liable for any payments made on it prior to the closure.
I believe a chargeback has to be inititated by the buyer who would need to inform his credit card company that his card had been used by someone other than himself.

I would tell your friend to contact PayPal for further details re the chargeback asap.