PDA

View Full Version : Bio diesel

tiger
22nd January 2007, 00:14
I like the idea of bio diesel, but having talked to one or two people on here and done some research it seems that it has it's downside. Rainforest is being cleared to plant Palm oil which is the main oil used for biodiesel.

I know that cooking oil collected from restaurants and chip shops etc. can be turned into biodiesel but that involves using chemicals like ethanol to clean it.

I've read that algae could be used and also soy beans.

I had been thinking of signing a petition to have duty removed or reduced on bio diesel, but think I need to learn more about it first.

Does anybody know about it?

Mamzie
22nd January 2007, 21:20
I did see a little about it on that green life program that was on BBC2 a while back. I thought they used a filter system on cafe oil, but I could be wrong. It does seem daft not to collect all this waste oil for reuse through.

Gizmos
22nd January 2007, 21:23
some biodiesel sites at the top

Mamzie
22nd January 2007, 21:33
I like the end advert, have no idea what the different car parts are through.

I like this idea of converting a diesel car... we have an ancient diesel estate that will be getting scrapped this year otherwise. I wonder if this could be dh's new hobby???

Gizmos
22nd January 2007, 21:36
I like the end advert, have no idea what the different car parts are through.

I like this idea of converting a diesel car... we have an ancient diesel estate that will be getting scrapped this year otherwise. I wonder if this could be dh's new hobby???

could be an idea - think we may look at it in some point in the future ..

Gizmos
22nd January 2007, 21:41
could be an idea - think we may look at it in some point in the future ..

does anyone here have a biodiesel at all?

Grace & Favour
22nd January 2007, 21:47
I haven't, but my mate converted his Fabia Diesel, and he reckons it costs him 90 mins a week filtering time, and 64 a year to do 12,000 miles (uses chip fat from a local Uni kitchen!!!!!!!)

Mamzie
22nd January 2007, 21:57
OMG...WOW..

We'll need you to pick your friends brains for us..

My hubby could def find time to do that filtering I reckon, thats an amazing result. I wonder if dh could somehow get the waste frying oil from the factory where he works.

tiger
22nd January 2007, 22:49
"Low-Impact Living Initiative (LILI) is a non-profit organisation whose mission is to help people reduce their impact on the environment, improve their quality of life, gain new skills, live in a healthier and more satisfying way, have fun, and save money"

They also run courses on how to make bio diesel.

LILI (http://www.lowimpact.org/index.htm)

The course includes advice on VAT law