PDA

View Full Version : Airmiles

Pages : [1] 2

tiger
15th September 2006, 10:34
Please can anyone tell me about using airmiles?
I've got an account but haven't ever used any. I've stopped adding to it as it just doesn't seem worth it with the taxes.
Has anyone used airmiles for anything other than flights and how does it work out compared to other deals?

V1P3R
15th September 2006, 15:18
how many airmiles do u have??
how were they collected
eg via old scheme (sainsburys)
new one (tesco)
credit card eg natwest
times newspapers
online shopping etc

tiger
15th September 2006, 15:24
I've only got about 1760. They were from Tesco. I converted some deals a couple of times when they had some bonus offers on. I was on the higher conversion rate.

rainbow
15th September 2006, 15:41
I used some for flights to London in July and bought tickets for the London Eye. I think it was 130 miles per ticket.

V1P3R
15th September 2006, 18:28
I've only got about 1760. They were from Tesco. I converted some deals a couple of times when they had some bonus offers on. I was on the higher conversion rate.

well if u know the conversion rate then u can roughly work out the cost of the miles ie if u had spent them in tesco instead of converting them into miles

look in the entertainment section of the airmiles spend section

http://www.airmiles.co.uk/travel/searchDaysOut.do

find something u like - find out how many miles to redeem and cost of those miles ? then it will also be worth comparing the price to what u wud have paid in cash eg london eye
that will give u an idea of how much u saved

or give that a miss
find something u like
redeem
use up miles
and enjoy
:D

suziq
15th September 2006, 18:34
i'm off to spain with mine, shudda been oct but is now feb :(
taxes make it 75 qwid for us both, so a good deal! :)

tiger
15th September 2006, 20:27
Thanks everyone. I'll take another look at what's available rather than let them go to waste.

clockwatcher
15th September 2006, 21:36
I converted a few Clubcard vouchers (what was left over after paying for our holiday accommodation) into airmiles to go towards the cost of the ferry crossing for our hols.

tiger
15th September 2006, 22:36
I never thought about using them for ferry crossing. I'll have a look at that. I'm not intending using them at the moment,but it'snice to have something in mind for them.

Gizmos
15th September 2006, 22:42
was there not some talk of donating to charity if you dont use them etc?? I have 600 from ages ago

tiger
15th September 2006, 22:47
was there not some talk of donating to charity if you dont use them etc?? I have 600 from ages ago

There was a few of us talked about that but don't think it got very far. If I knew of a charity that wanted them I would be happy to donate them.

Gizmos
15th September 2006, 22:49
There was a few of us talked about that but don't think it got very far. If I knew of a charity that wanted them I would be happy to donate them.

ditto -one for me to look at

Gizmos
15th September 2006, 22:51
right done a google and Make A Wish Foundation is asking for donations of Air Miles now it might not be the Air Miles we all know so have fired off a quick email

Raffles
16th September 2006, 15:46
Air Miles are generally worthless if you redeem for flights. Sorry, but 'tis the truth. BA's and Heathrow's taxes, fuel surcharges and other spurious charges mean it is cheaper to buy an EasyJet flight (including taxes) from Gatwick or Stanstead than get a 'free' Air Miles seat.

Eurostar is a good way of using your miles, especially for Leisure Select (First Class). And no taxes or charges with Eurostar!

Maldives
17th September 2006, 00:39
I went to Seattle last year on Airmiles and was pretty pleased, considering it cost about ?850 per person, I used airmiles and only paid for one person out of two I was happy.... I picked up most of the miles adhoc, didn't cost me ought to have them. So for me it was a bargin...

V1P3R
17th September 2006, 11:31
definitely depends on how u accrue the miles
i accrued loads from sainsbury when they used to give loads of bonus points on a single iten such as a tracker bar
used to clear the shelves and convert the points to airmiles
but i still put a value on the airmiles before redeeming them because if i used the vouchers for ? off shopping they would have been worth eg ?1000
so i dont then want to use the vouchers for flights and find that i have paid ?1000 equivalent in airmiles + ?500 in taxes for flights that wud have cost ?1000 to buy in cash

for that reason i still have about 10000 airmiles in my account
and a trip to dubai is on the cards for about 8500 miles + ?500 taxes for 2 adults and 3 children :cool:

Raffles
17th September 2006, 11:49
I went to Seattle last year on Airmiles and was pretty pleased, considering it cost about ?850 per person, I used airmiles and only paid for one person out of two I was happy.... I picked up most of the miles adhoc, didn't cost me ought to have them. So for me it was a bargin...

Did you really get them for nothing? My other half gets miles from her NatWest credit card and thinks they are 'free'. However, she had to spend ?20 to get 1 Air Mile worth 6p. If she got a decent 1% cashback credit card she would be getting 20p in cash for every ?20 spent.

Same with Tesco. Swapping a ?2.50 voucher for 60 miles worth ?3.60 is crazy, given you could take ?10 in deals instead or even ?2.50 in cash (which you can spend on EasyJet flights instead!).

Maldives
17th September 2006, 12:42
My mum gave me a load of old paper vouchers (from when airmiles first set up) I had old paper vochers too (they had been sat in a draw gathering dust) added a few extra via Tesco (can't remember the amount, but am on 80miles), so basically didn't cost too much....

OK so not exactly nothing, on the tesco side, but it worked out a great deal for me.. definately much cheaper than buying two tickets at ?850 each

Can't remember how I came across my paper vouchers, some were promotional (free), remember in the early days retailers gave you them for shopping in there store, so the way I look at it, I was gonna buy an item anyhow, getting the miles were just a bonus... hence really costing nothing. Remember at one stage my mum & I nearly threw the paper ones out, glad we didn't...

Have now converted to collecting BA Miles (thanks to you and the others on the travel section), as we are off to Seattle next year, but first class this time.... not far off my target, have enough BA Miles for one just need to spend another ?2k ish on the AMEX card, that will happen pretty quickly.. I'm not buying any more than I would normally just changed the way I spend my money, ie. everything goes on the Amex card and instead of shopping in store do pretty much most of it on line nowadays to get the 1000 extra pts...:cheer2:

V1P3R
17th September 2006, 12:49
Did you really get them for nothing? My other half gets miles from her NatWest credit card and thinks they are 'free'. However, she had to spend ?20 to get 1 Air Mile worth 6p. If she got a decent 1% cashback credit card she would be getting 20p in cash for every ?20 spent.

Same with Tesco. Swapping a ?2.50 voucher for 60 miles worth ?3.60 is crazy, given you could take ?10 in deals instead or even ?2.50 in cash (which you can spend on EasyJet flights instead!).

snap
my OH is glued to his natwest gold card
i have sent off for a 2nd tesco card on my acct for him and have told him it is gonna b cancelled
then he will be getting ba pp aswell

his miles i have termed as free in my calcs because i could not get money for them elsewhere and because of his "free" miles in the total i am happy to redeem them for a trip to dubai - costing me ?500 for a family of five in free accomodation
bargain :jaw:

Gizmos
25th September 2006, 17:41
right done a google and Make A Wish Foundation is asking for donations of Air Miles now it might not be the Air Miles we all know so have fired off a quick email

had this reply from Make-A-Wish

Dear Gorgeous Gizmos (OK that was a lie)

Anyone who wishes to donate their airmiles just needs to speak to their account manager and tell them they want to donate to Make-A-Wish. We have both an Airmiles account and a Virgin Atlantic Airmiles Account.
No need for them to quote our account number, they just need to say Make-A-Wish and it will be credited to our account.

Kind regards
Daryl

tiger
21st November 2006, 13:09
For anyone that collects Airmiles, there are lots of places to collect them and some give double miles. There is an offer of 25 bonus miles when you shop online before 5th Dec.

Collecting Airmiles (http://www.airmiles.co.uk/onlineshop/onlineshophome.do)

JWM
10th January 2007, 13:13
Hi, I see you can use Airmails for Hotel bookings.....seemed to me to be quite expensive but I wonder if any one has any thoughts??

s879
10th January 2007, 14:09
I haven't booked a hotel stay with them but used them for a flight to the USA 6 months ago. just wanted to warn you that their 'members only' fares are usually non-changeable and non-refundable. i am not bothered with the latter but wanted to move my date 10 days further (was giving up a weekend flight for a weekday one and also the the later date came under the off-peak category date) and they really gave me a very hard time, despite more than 2 weeks notice. spoke to BA directly, via e-mail etc as well but to no avail. although i had paid almost ?600 for my ticket and they made me feel as if i had purchased a cheap last-minute ticket with a low cost airline that one wouldn't touch with a bargepole. Really made me upset as i was willing to pay even a ?100 changing fee as opposed to the usual ?50 but there was something about that ticket that had VERY severe legal restrictions... just thought i'd warn you to double check with them.

Raffles
10th January 2007, 15:11
You would have had the same issues if you had bought the ticket directly from BA - the cheapest tickets are always not refundable / changeble / cancellable. BA's view is - 'if you want a flexible economy ticket, pay ?2,000 and buy one'.

This is actually one of the few benefit of using BA Miles (not sure about Air Miles) for the tickets - you can cancel at any time and get your miles back for a ?30 fee, or make date changes for free.

djl1963
5th February 2007, 17:56
Have booked 2 nights in a 5 star hotel on jemeirah beach, Dubai - have added it on as a stopover after our holiday in Thailand.
2 deluxe rooms with seaview, including breakfast - hotel paid for with airmiles.

Torchwood
21st February 2007, 21:57
If anyone has any Airmiles that they don't need or are not planning to use?

I would be interested in buying them.. as I have a few but need more to pay for my b/f's hen do!
Please PM me!

Thanks,

TW

Beej
22nd February 2007, 19:01
If anyone has any Airmiles that they don't need or are not planning to use?

I would be interested in buying them.. as I have a few but need more to pay for my b/f's hen do!
Please PM me!

Thanks,

TW

This made me laugh TW, I couldn't work it out at first, 'b/f's hen do'? Are you having a Civil Partnership then? I went to my first one last weekend and it was a lovely day, altho' the ceremony bit only lasts about 10 mins. Sorry I don't have any airmiles, just being nosey.

V1P3R
22nd February 2007, 19:20
Have booked 2 nights in a 5 star hotel on jemeirah beach, Dubai - have added it on as a stopover after our holiday in Thailand.
2 deluxe rooms with seaview, including breakfast - hotel paid for with airmiles.

how many airmiles did you use for the hotel??

Raffles
22nd February 2007, 21:15
The Air Miles '2 for 1' sale is on from Mon 26 Feb to Mon 12 March, booking until the end of 2007. Don't book before then!

Conditions - only 1 booking per member, for a max of 4 seats (2 free). BA only.

djl1963
23rd February 2007, 19:10
V1P3R
It was 13,340 air miles for both rooms (deluxe, seaview, including breakfast).(would be ?800 in cash).

But we could have got 2 rooms from 5,000 miles upwards in other hotels.
We just decided on luxury.

V1P3R
23rd February 2007, 20:47
thanks - thats not bad -- need to look around a bit more - i have about 13000 airmiles to use up
i also like the sound of luxury when i'm not paying cash for the booking

bargainhunter
23rd February 2007, 23:30
The Air Miles '2 for 1' sale is on from Mon 26 Feb to Mon 12 March, booking until the end of 2007. Don't book before then!

Conditions - only 1 booking per member, for a max of 4 seats (2 free). BA only.

Where did you find the info about this, Raffles? I've looked on their website and can't see it and haven't had any promo emails - will wait offers with interest!

Raffles
24th February 2007, 09:53
See airmiles.co.uk/2for1

My g/f got a postcard promoting it

bargainhunter
24th February 2007, 10:46
Thanks Raffles - my promo posting arrived this morning too!

janedoe
27th February 2007, 15:30
Just had a an email for 2 flights for the price of one - BA Airmiles offer valid from 26 Feb to the 12 March valid for British Airways flights. Might be helpful for someone. :)

Filthy Monkey
27th February 2007, 17:30
Just to clarify, is this for BA miles, or Airmiles?

janedoe
27th February 2007, 19:28
Sorry for the confusion, it's Airmiles, it was the BA - British Airways that threw me.

cheeky
27th February 2007, 23:23
I also received one, but could not get into the site to see which destinations the offers is valid on.

janedoe
28th February 2007, 15:15
Here is the T&C on this offer

Valid from: 26/02/07

Expiry date: 12/03/07

Issuer: FEB 07 2 FOR 1

Short description:

2 FOR 1 FLIGHT OFFER

Long description:

THE 2 FOR 1 OFFER APPLIES TO NEW BOOKINGS MADE BETWEEN 26/02/07 AND 12/03/07 INCLUSIVE BY VISITING WWW.AIRMILES.CO.UK, STRICTLY SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY AND CAPACITY CONTROL FOR SELECTED DEPARTURE DATES, DESTINATIONS AND ON SELECTED PROMOTIONAL ECONOMY FARE CLASSES ON BRITISH AIRWAYS FLIGHTS ON A MILES OR PART MILES/PART CASH BASIS ONLY FOR TRAVEL BETWEEN 27/02/07 AND 17/12/07. CERTAIN RESTRICTIONS MAY APPLY. A SATURDAY NIGHT STAY IS REQUIRED FOR ALL TRAVEL TO THE US, CANADA, CARIBBEAN AND BERMUDA. WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO ACCEPT ONLINE BOOKINGS ONLY. EACH MEMBER IS ENTITLED TO UP TO 2 PROMOTIONAL TICKETS (1 PROMOTIONAL TICKET FOR EACH STANDARD PRICED TICKET BOOKED) ON A SINGLE BOOKING FOR TRAVEL ON THE SAME ROUTE, DATE AND TIME. THIS OFFER IS LIMITED TO ONE BOOKING PER MEMBER AND IS NON-CHANGEABLE AND NON-REFUNDABLE. TAXES, FEES AND CHARGES ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THE PRICE AND MUST BE PAID BY ALL PASSENGERS. THE OFFER MAY NOT BE COMBINED WITH ANY OTHER VOUCHER, DISCOUNT COUPON, PROMOTION, SPECIAL OFFER OR DEAL.
FOR FULL TERMS AND CONDITIONS VISIT WWW.AIRMILES.CO.UK/2FOR1

AIRMILES AND ITS SUPPLIER CUSTOMER AND BOOKING TERMS AND CONDITIONS APPLY INCLUDING BRITISH AIRWAYS CONDITIONS OF CARRIAGE.

I think it is available on all flights depending on the date you want to travel.

Gizmos
28th February 2007, 15:16
so its Airmiles and not BA Miles - will change the title to reflect that - was wondering!

janedoe
28th February 2007, 15:18
Thanks Giz, it was because it was on British Airways - BA that threw me.

HELLO_KITTY
26th March 2007, 18:58
i credited about ?30 worth of deals to my airmiles account about 3 or more weeks ago, it was to "my" account but the voucher had my brothers first initial "d" on ..they were accepted, but not been added yet, i know it can take upto 6 weeks?? but last time my ones added within a week....anyone done this before? thanks x x x x x x :love: :love: :love: :love:

NatsDad
26th March 2007, 19:43
Is your brothers clubcard registered to the same address as your clubcard & airmiles account?

HELLO_KITTY
26th March 2007, 21:04
yes we are both registered to my mums house address, but my airmiles account has my name and current address on

Gizmos
26th March 2007, 21:12
yes we are both registered to my mums house address, but my airmiles account has my name and current address on

you'll probably find then AirMiles have opened new accounts for you as the details for the addresses need to match - give them a call am sure they can be merged if you provide adequeate proof

HELLO_KITTY
26th March 2007, 21:15
you'll probably find then AirMiles have opened new accounts for you as the details for the addresses need to match - give them a call am sure they can be merged if you provide adequeate proof

ahh i dont think i dare ring them..im scared of cs, would love to get a job working for them so i could look at their computers though.

V1P3R
26th March 2007, 21:22
airmiles are terrible at opening new accounts. OH was collecting all his miles with natwest for years
the first conversion to airmiles from tesco resulted in a new acct being opened :eek:
i only found out when the paperwork started arriving
managed to merge the accts online with no problems

Angel
15th April 2007, 16:46
I am now saving BA miles to pay for a flight to the US, and am thinking of saving Airmiles to pay for the hotel.

I understand that with BA miles, the tesco points must be at the same address as the BA account.

I also have an account at my father's address ;) would I be able to transfer these points at his address to an airmiles account at my address?

Gizmos
15th April 2007, 16:48
what about this Angel - keep the Tesco at his address etc and then save up perhaps a year's worth of Tesco vouchers - change your address to your fathers on your BA card for a period whilst you convert them - then alter back one they are on BA card?

Gizmos
15th April 2007, 16:48
whoops missed the bit about paying for a hotel

Angel
15th April 2007, 16:54
Thanks Giz that is actually a good idea.

Raffles
16th April 2007, 08:57
If you're planning to fly Economy, do some research before using BA Miles to book a flight. Flights to the US are so cheap outside the peak season that you may end up getting very poor value for money - especially as you still need to pay the taxes etc which are well over ?100 per person. This is especially true if you are flying to the East Coast.

You may find you can get better value for your miles by using them on another route where flight prices are more expensive. The same number of miles (50k in Economy) will also get you to Mexico, South Africa, Barbados etc.

Angel
16th April 2007, 09:13
Thanks Raffles, my intention is to fly Club or First :D

Raffles
16th April 2007, 10:23
Thanks Raffles, my intention is to fly Club or First :D

Have you got the BMI Mastercard? Its free, and you get 20,000 miles for taking one out. This is enough for a 1-way business class ticket to the US on any Star Alliance carrier. Spend ?3,500 on the card and you'll have 25,000 miles - this is enough for a 1-way first class ticket to the US (best way to use it is going on Lufthansa via Frankfurt). This assumes you redeem using 'cash and miles' on BMI which involves paying ?200-?300 plus taxes as well as using some miles.

If you do this, you can use your BA Miles for a one-way award ticket to come back, which only needs half the miles.

(PS. This is a pointless idea, of couse, if you were planning to use a BA Amex '2 for 1' voucher but is worth considering if you were planning to travel solo or don't spend enough to get an Amex voucher.)

Angel
16th April 2007, 10:49
Thanks Raffles I will have a look into those options.

Raffles
16th April 2007, 13:30
Lots on the BMI card in this thread at Flyertalk:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=649735

Hug
20th April 2007, 15:43
Not totaly true, thanks to the information from this site. Me and my son are flying to Hong Kong this year with British Airways and including connecting flight from Scotland to Heathrow only cost me ?300. Bet no one can get a return direct flight to Hong Kong for two at that price. Every little helps:D

V1P3R
20th April 2007, 15:57
well done
did you use airmiles then rather than ba miles?

is hong kong a destination where they reduced the number of miles needed for redemption?

Hug
20th April 2007, 16:08
well done
did you use airmiles then rather than ba miles?

is hong kong a destination where they reduced the number of miles needed for redemption?

I used airmiles and yes, Hong Kong seems to be one of those destinations where you requre less airmiles then to other destinations. U need 9000 miles for two. Should have the required amount for next years visit.

Angel
21st April 2007, 09:10
Can anyone tell me whether the bathroom facilities onboard in first/club are any better than that of economy?

bargainhunter
21st April 2007, 09:35
All I recollect is that the soap is nicer!! Molton Brown.

Angel
21st April 2007, 09:38
Can you remember if the bathroom was bigger or cleaner?

penfold
21st April 2007, 10:16
Can you remember if the bathroom was bigger or cleaner?

have flown first on air canada and toilets were same size but with nicer toiletries and MUCH MUCH cleaner :o :clap2:...don't know about BA but can't imagine they would be that much different.

Angel
21st April 2007, 10:21
Toilets in economy are so small and not particularly clean, I want to get in and out of there as quick as possible!

I was just thinking along the lines of whether I would want to brush my teeth and have a quick wash in there (which I would not want to do in economy!).

I suppose they would not want to make them too inviting, otherwise passengers would spend longer in there forming queues, and in case of turbulence you need to be in your seat.

Raffles
21st April 2007, 18:32
Trust me, the toilets in BA business class and first class are not hugely different - certainly not much bigger - although the toiletries are better. And on a 747, one of first class toilets has a window!

Angel
21st April 2007, 19:33
Raffles have you travelled in one of the rear facing seats? I can imagine that to be a bit strange.

Gizmos
21st April 2007, 19:34
Raffles have you travelled in one of the rear facing seats? I can imagine that to be a bit strange.

less likey to die in the event of a crash though - sorry to be morbid!

there are some reviews on FT if you want me to sort out the links - are you worried about travelling backwards?

Angel
21st April 2007, 19:45
I just think it would be a bit strange, since I have never sat in a rear facing seat during a flight.

Why would you be less likely to die?!

Yes please I would like to have a look at those reviews.

Gizmos
21st April 2007, 19:51
I just think it would be a bit strange, since I have never sat in a rear facing seat during a flight.

Why would you be less likely to die?!

Yes please I would like to have a look at those reviews.

I'll sort some links out and PM you

The morbid bit is that it's all about force and stresses - forward facing seats you would be flung forward and injured whereas rear facing you would be pished back into the seat.

Raffles
22nd April 2007, 16:56

Numerous times - mainly because the best seats on a 747 in business class are upstairs, and all the window seats upstairs face backwards.

I have absolutely no problem with it and it has never bothered me in the slightest. It is totally different to facing backwards on a train because you do not get the sense of the outside world flashing past, which is what makes you feel odd on a train.

That said, my other half finds it too wierd and refuses to fly backwards. This is actually good news, of course, because we can sit next to each other - she has the forward facing aisle and I have the rear-facing window.

Angel
22nd April 2007, 17:14
Thanks Raffles. I also had a look at seatguru and it appears that the best seats for couples are the rear facing seats.

I suppose the only time it may feel strange is during take-off.

Raffles
23rd April 2007, 23:19
Thanks Raffles. I also had a look at seatguru and it appears that the best seats for couples are the rear facing seats.

I suppose the only time it may feel strange is during take-off.

No! I really don't agree with this, although horses for courses. If you mean the seats in the middle of the centre block (which both face backwards) then I'm not keen on them.

Problem 1 is that neither of you has access to the aisle, nor a window.

Problem 2 (well, statement of the obvious 2) is that you miss the best benefit of rear facing seats - if you take a pair on the edge, you can sit and face each other. One of you faces backwards and gets the window, the other faces forward. As long as you keep the barrier down, you can face each other and chat which is easier than sitting side by side. And one of you gets to be on the aisle for easy loo access!

But this is only a personal view - you may like the couples pair. The pair nearest to the bulkhead do have direct aisle access, as you can walk around the back of the seats next to you.

jen
23rd April 2007, 23:27
Angel with reference to your question about toilet facilities my friend is a stewardess with BA and she only works in business or first, she says the toilets are generally cleaner than economy simply because less people are using them. However some people (not naming any particular sex!) still manage to wee everywhere so they can still pong at the end of the journey. Plus she occasionally has to make the toilet out of use as someone has been sick or worse:eek: everywhere.

nixieh
7th May 2007, 09:37
Hi there

I am currently saving for a holiday to Florida in 2009. We have been before and always booked flight and accommodation seperately so managed to get some good deals. My plan was to save for Virgin Holiays but as there are 5 of us even the cheapest accommodation for Aug 2008 (2009 not yet avail) is going to be about ?5000+ which is way more than we have paid in the past doing it seperately.

I have never used airmiles before so are they a good deal and how can I work out how many miles I would need for flights to Orlando. I have been on the site but when I looked at flights to Orlando for this Summer as a guide it looks like you need about 13000 miles per adult which would be more than ?500 in clubcard vouchers per person which surely isn't good value, as the equivalent in deals vouchers for ?500 would be ?2000 off a Virgin holiday.

Sorry if that was a bit confusing, it is just that I would like to hear from anyone who uses Airmiles as to whether they are worth using for school holidays.

Thanks

Raffles
7th May 2007, 16:18
No is the simple answer.

Air Miles are worth about 6p each, except for the special promotions. You can prove this by looking up BA and other airline flight prices. ?2.50 of Tesco vouchers gets you around ?3.60 of flights - not a good deal.

Used as deals, you can get flights whenever you want and ?2.50 of Tesco gets you ?10 of holiday. Its a no-brainer in your situation.

nixieh
7th May 2007, 16:24
Thanks for that, it doesn't seem a good deal at all does it. Never mind, back to the drawing board for me then, better get spending more in Tesco if we are to afford our holiday by 2009.

thanks for the advice.

ChickenCottage
7th May 2007, 19:12
and you can trust Raffles to give you good advice :)

Angel
7th May 2007, 19:14
Raffles is the King of travel advice :)

sammybear
7th May 2007, 20:15
Hi there

I am currently saving for a holiday to Florida in 2009. We have been before and always booked flight and accommodation seperately so managed to get some good deals. My plan was to save for Virgin Holiays but as there are 5 of us even the cheapest accommodation for Aug 2008 (2009 not yet avail) is going to be about ?5000+ which is way more than we have paid in the past doing it seperately.

I have never used airmiles before so are they a good deal and how can I work out how many miles I would need for flights to Orlando. I have been on the site but when I looked at flights to Orlando for this Summer as a guide it looks like you need about 13000 miles per adult which would be more than ?500 in clubcard vouchers per person which surely isn't good value, as the equivalent in deals vouchers for ?500 would be ?2000 off a Virgin holiday.

Sorry if that was a bit confusing, it is just that I would like to hear from anyone who uses Airmiles as to whether they are worth using for school holidays.

Thanks

Hi firstly going to Orlando in August will be expensive with any Travel company-especially for 5 of you !!:eek:

You will notice this by pricing them up for september or october- flights only cost 3000 to 5000 Airmiles then, but as i also know with kids we have to go in the school holidays.. BUT try this...

If you get a price from virgin (just a normal price- dont say you are using Tesco deals tokens).
Then phone Airmiles and tell them you have a quote from Virgin and they WILL pricematch if you ask them !:)

1000 Airmiles = approx ?60 discount
Approx ?25 clubcardvouchers = 1500 Airmiles (at the 60 rate)

So in reality you can get the cheaper price that Virgin quotes by booking at Airmiles, and then as a bonus pay of some of your holiday using your converted Tesco clubcard points to Airmiles.

I hope this may sense !:confused:

Its the same with cosmos and all the other tour ops, Airmiles will price match them, so you will never pay the full brochure price anyway whether you use Airmiles or pay cash !!
:)

sammybear
7th May 2007, 20:21
No is the simple answer.

Air Miles are worth about 6p each, except for the special promotions. You can prove this by looking up BA and other airline flight prices. ?2.50 of Tesco vouchers gets you around ?3.60 of flights - not a good deal.

Used as deals, you can get flights whenever you want and ?2.50 of Tesco gets you ?10 of holiday. Its a no-brainer in your situation.

Hi
Mmm yes but when you book with Cosmos or Virgin you are paying full brochure price- which can be double the price from when you phone them as a cash paying customer!See my post above:D

Airmiles will match the phone price.:)

I have booked using both ways: pricing both up and it also depends on how much cash youve got and how many vouchers !:)

Raffles
7th May 2007, 20:48
Raffles is the King of travel advice :)

Hmmmm .... I have no children, do not travel in peak periods, have not travelled long-haul economy for five years and do not generally take package holidays. My specialist subjects are purely BA Executive Club, BMI Diamond Club, hotel and airline loyalty credit cards and business and first class cabins / experiences.

Any advice I give outside of these spheres should be taken as generalist advice only ......!

penfold
7th May 2007, 20:56
Sammybear..when I called Airmiles last year I was told I couldn't pay for the whole package with airmiles (think they said 50% max)....is this correct???

sammybear
7th May 2007, 21:08
Sammybear..when I called Airmiles last year I was told I couldn't pay for the whole package with airmiles (think they said 50% max)....is this correct???

hi Penfold,

No its not, no matter what the agent says..they do try and get you to pay some cash.. but just say you want too use all Airmiles:) There is no limit, you CAN use all Airmiles:)

penfold
7th May 2007, 21:15
hi Penfold,

No its not, no matter what the agent says..they do try and get you to pay some cash.. but just say you want too use all Airmiles:) There is no limit, you CAN use all Airmiles:)

Thanks for that, might give them another call to get some prices again :clap2:

V1P3R
7th May 2007, 21:52
Hi
Mmm yes but when you book with Cosmos or Virgin you are paying full brochure price- which can be double the price from when you phone them as a cash paying customer!See my post above:D

Airmiles will match the phone price.:)

I have booked using both ways: pricing both up and it also depends on how much cash youve got and how many vouchers !:)

will airmiles match flight only prices or is it only package holidays prices

sammybear
7th May 2007, 21:57
will airmiles match flight only prices or is it only package holidays prices

No, they only price match on tour op package holidays, unfortunately.:mad:

V1P3R
7th May 2007, 22:34
does that mean it has to be the same package ie the same hotel too
i think airmiles have a vast range of hotels to chose from so should not be a problem

sammybear
7th May 2007, 23:18
does that mean it has to be the same package ie the same hotel too
i think airmiles have a vast range of hotels to chose from so should not be a problem

A package holiday is one that is from a Tour op brochure ie: First choice, thomas Cook , Cosmos ,virgin etc- these are the holidays that Airmiles will price match on.

An example is : say you phone Cosmos and they quote you ?500 for a holiday for a week in Majorca. you would then phone Airmiles and they would price match this and you would be able to pay 8000 miles and ?20 or 5000 miles and ?200. etc (1000 miles = ?60 discount)

Airmiles sell flights + hotels also, these are called a dynamic pakage (where you pick your own flights and hotel and number of nights etc) these are NOT price matched, but they will try and get you a good deal.

Hope this helps:)

sammybear
12th May 2007, 10:47
You can now collect Airmiles on your Tesco shop upto 14th June 2007.
You get 10 Airmiles on your Grocery shop.
1 Airmiles for every ?10 spent on non-grocery (ie entertainment, tesco direct etc)

So if you do collect Airmiles its worth logging onto your account and going through the link and collecting a few more miles :D

Remember its only a trial run so you only have until 14th June.:)

navara
12th May 2007, 14:07
Can you post a link to the above please can't see it on the airmiles site:)

Angel
12th May 2007, 14:10
Thanks sammybear, is it likely to become a permanent offer?

clockwatcher
12th May 2007, 15:39
It's here (https://www.airmiles.co.uk/collect/offlineFrame.do?key=OSSViewMerchant&mid=1161&from=osteaser). You may have to be logged in to see it though.

sammybear
12th May 2007, 19:32
Thanks sammybear, is it likely to become a permanent offer?

Hi im not sure, they are seeing how it goes and if enough Tesco shoppers go through the Airmiles site to do their shopping they may make it permanent - which will be good for us Tescgoers !! Points and Airmiles in one go :clap2:

sammybear
12th May 2007, 19:35
It's here (https://www.airmiles.co.uk/collect/offlineFrame.do?key=OSSViewMerchant&mid=1161&from=osteaser). You may have to be logged in to see it though.

Thanks clockwatcher.

Yes you will need to log in to access the link.
If you just go to www.airmiles.co.uk though you will see it on the main page.

sammybear
12th May 2007, 19:37
http://www.airmiles.co.uk/

Nana
13th May 2007, 09:38
http://www.airmiles.co.uk/

Looks OK for online grocery shops:) but probably better using Quidco for wine orders (and your first grocery order). I think the cashback through Quidco is worth more than one airmile per ?10 spend.

sammybear
13th May 2007, 12:57
Looks OK for online grocery shops:) but probably better using Quidco for wine orders (and your first grocery order). I think the cashback through Quidco is worth more than one airmile per ?10 spend.

I would say that this offer is purely for Airmiles collectors :)

clockwatcher
13th May 2007, 16:55

That's the conclusion I came to. I'll certainly use it on grocery orders, as I wouldn't be getting any other sort of bonus on them, but for, say, a ?50 spend on Direct/Entertainment/Wine, I could get ?1.50 through Quidco, which is worth more than the 5 Airmiles I could get. Great for people who don't use cashback sites though.

far canel
14th May 2007, 23:55
If you shop at Tesco.com going through the Airmiles website online shopping portal, you will get 10 miles per grocery shop and 1 mile per ?10 spend on non-grocery items (offer ends 14th June). Ideal if you use Airmiles for car rental etc.
only discovered it tonight after my 3rd online shop in the past 10 days :(

Hummer
14th May 2007, 23:56
Arggghhhh I forgot to do this tonight too

Maldives
14th May 2007, 23:56
Complelely off topic, love your avatar far canel....

Kina
19th May 2007, 22:07
Can you convert deals for airmiles to use on car hire in Florida?

penfold
19th May 2007, 22:09
You can do.

I got a quote for a SUV hire in Canada for earlier this year though and it worked out the equivalent of 800 compared to 350 elsewherev:eek:

Gizmos
19th May 2007, 22:10
just convert them into Avis deals

penfold
19th May 2007, 22:12
Unfortunately you can't use Avis in North America, only Europe :(

Gizmos
19th May 2007, 22:12
damn thought you could

sammybear
21st May 2007, 13:59
Can you convert deals for airmiles to use on car hire in Florida?

Yes you can use Airmiles for Car hire and where they dont offer Avis in some parts of America, you can use them for Alomo Car hire in the rest of the US

And if you have enough Airmiles you dont have to top it up with cash, like some of the flight taxes..

JANED9388
26th May 2007, 11:35
Just got a leaflet through in the post, normally you get 60 airmiles per ?2.50 clubcard vouchers, but if you exchange your clubcard vouchers for the first time before 30th June you get 120 miles per ?2.50 - sounds like a good deal if you were going to do this anyway.

fluffybunny
26th May 2007, 11:50
Sounds good!

does anyone out there have any preferences? airmiles or booking the holiday with a company?

99redballs
17th June 2007, 09:42
i looked into this as i recived mailing for double points. i have ?1000 clubcard pionts, which is as you know is ?40000 in deals.
i phoned airmiles and picked out a virgin holiday and got it priced up. with my ?10000 clubard points i would get (48000miles) 120miles for each ?2.50, and to cut a long story short the number of airmiles would only equate to ?3100. if i went to virgin direct i would get ?4000 off without any double incentives!!!!!!
also i tried flights to singapore for may next year these worked out to be over9,000 miles each person plus taxes (so nearly ?4000!!!!! for less than ?2000 worth of flights!)
so i'm sticking to virgin or cosmos direct!!

geordiegirl
17th June 2007, 10:15
Just got a leaflet through in the post, normally you get 60 airmiles per ?2.50 clubcard vouchers, but if you exchange your clubcard vouchers for the first time before 30th June you get 120 miles per ?2.50 - sounds like a good deal if you were going to do this anyway.

Hi
Quick question.
Is it the first time you exchange vouchers or the first time you change them for airmiles? I have used vouchers for parking before but not for airmiles??

Thanks

geordiegirl
17th June 2007, 10:36
Is there a code?
I could phone up and enquire

Raffles
17th June 2007, 17:38
The wording is vague. It SEEMS to say that you only get the double points on your FIRST TRANSFER ONLY before 30 June (so you can't do one lot one day and then some more the next day) and that you can only do it if you've not transferred into air miles before. However, the small print is so badly worded it could mean anything.

Of course, this ignores the fact that Air Miles are useless. A waste of space. Air Miles is owned by BA, although you'll never find that on the website. Anything you book that is not a BA flight, Air Miles has to pay out in cash. They give you 5p per Air Mile, basically. So, turning a ?2.50 Tesco voucher into 60 Air Miles means you are getting ?3 of Miles for ?2.50. This is a complete waste when you could ?10 of Deals for the same voucher.

The only sensible use of Air Miles is for the odd SHORT NOTICE flight on BA. You can often get Air Miles flights when the price of cash flights has shot up. BA also occasionally dumps seats on BA through Air Miles to avoid having to publicly discount on its own web site. These deals are rare, however, although they do happen - I got a weekend flight to Edinburgh for 50 miles plus some cash recently which gave me about ?1.25 per mile of value compared to booking on ba.com! This is 'once in a blue moon' stuff though.

It has also gone totally unnoticed in the press and on the web, as far as I can tell, that Air Miles were devalued recently by about 15%. You used to get around roughly 6p of value per mile - that was cut to roughly 5p.

mad4points
17th June 2007, 17:55
thanks Raffles youve answered many of my `how does it all add up` questions b4 i even asked!! A well deserved rep on its way...m4p

sammybear
17th June 2007, 18:03
The wording is vague. It SEEMS to say that you only get the double points on your FIRST TRANSFER ONLY before 30 June (so you can't do one lot one day and then some more the next day) and that you can only do it if you've not transferred into air miles before. However, the small print is so badly worded it could mean anything.

Of course, this ignores the fact that Air Miles are useless. A waste of space. Air Miles is owned by BA, although you'll never find that on the website. Anything you book that is not a BA flight, Air Miles has to pay out in cash. They give you 5p per Air Mile, basically. So, turning a ?2.50 Tesco voucher into 60 Air Miles means you are getting ?3 of Miles for ?2.50. This is a complete waste when you could ?10 of Deals for the same voucher.

The only sensible use of Air Miles is for the odd SHORT NOTICE flight on BA. You can often get Air Miles flights when the price of cash flights has shot up. BA also occasionally dumps seats on BA through Air Miles to avoid having to publicly discount on its own web site. These deals are rare, however, although they do happen - I got a weekend flight to Edinburgh for 50 miles plus some cash recently which gave me about ?1.25 per mile of value compared to booking on ba.com! This is 'once in a blue moon' stuff though.

It has also gone totally unnoticed in the press and on the web, as far as I can tell, that Air Miles were devalued recently by about 15%. You used to get around roughly 6p of value per mile - that was cut to roughly 5p.

hi Raffles,

I dont mean to sound patronising, but what you said in your post is absolute rubbish- i love reading posts when people know what they are talking about- including some of your posts- but this post just does not make sense- i work for ba and i can assure you - your post is wrong-Airmiles make millions of profit each year through loyal customers who get good deals, remember Airmiles is not just collector scheme its a Travel company.

It works for some people and not for others but i would not say AirMiles are useless and they have incresed in value, not decreased as you have stated.;)

maryw4
17th June 2007, 23:46
can you please advise me of how to go about getting some airmiles. i have quite a lot of vouchers and am thinking of using them to go to eurodisney - just the flight bit. do i have to register with airmiles.

havent got a clue about it really.

thanks for any info you can give me..
mary

sammybear
18th June 2007, 00:02
can you please advise me of how to go about getting some airmiles. i have quite a lot of vouchers and am thinking of using them to go to eurodisney - just the flight bit. do i have to register with airmiles.

havent got a clue about it really.

thanks for any info you can give me..
mary

Hi Mary

You can register on the website or by phoning them, however if its your first time sending your Tesco vouchers then a new account will automatically be opened for you at Airmiles when they recieve notification from Tesco of how many Airmiles to deposit into your account. (ie ?2.50 = 60 Airmiles) but they have an offer till the end of the month and its double Airmiles on your first ever deposit. So ?2.50 will be 120 airmiles.

Its quicker to do it on the Tesco website rather than posting them.

hope this helps Mary.:)

maryw4
18th June 2007, 02:03
thanks for replying. so it says i need 400 miles to get to paris. theres 4 of us adults 2 kiddies. so in theory it would cost ?10 in deals to get 480 airmiles. you have the taxes on top. am i doing somethings wrong. the flights are coing out over ?400 booking with airline this work out ?40. seems to good to be true comes to mind.

i need to get to bed and stop thinking about it. lol

mary

Nana
18th June 2007, 09:26
thanks for replying. so it says i need 400 miles to get to paris. theres 4 of us adults 2 kiddies. so in theory it would cost ?10 in deals to get 480 airmiles. you have the taxes on top. am i doing somethings wrong. the flights are coing out over ?400 booking with airline this work out ?40. seems to good to be true comes to mind.

i need to get to bed and stop thinking about it. lol

mary

Your calculations are correct Mary but remember ?40 of Tesco Vouchers = ?160 of other Deals. Tax & other charges to Paris with Airmiles comes to about ?62 per person x 4 = ?248

?160 + ?248 = ?408

Have you tried www.flightchecker.co.uk

Good Luck

Raffles
18th June 2007, 21:23
Think very carefully before redeeming for Air Miles, as they often offer poor value for money.

The taxes on a flight to Paris from Heathrow on BA are ?62.10 per person, as you've noticed.

It is very possible that a budget airline can sell you a whole flight, inc taxes, for not much more than ?60. Try EasyJet from Luton or FlyBe from Southampton. If Air Miles is still far cheaper, then OK. However, looking at random dates in August (18-21 August) I can book return flights from Luton to Paris Charles de Gaulle on EasyJet for just ?51 INCLUDING ALL TAXES! This is why Air Miles is exceptionally poor value unless you happen to live 2 miles from Heathrow (in which case I feel very sorry for you!).

Have you also considered Eurostar? During the Summer, they run trains directly to EuroDisney! These may be bookable with Deals, you'd need to check.

sammybear
18th June 2007, 21:48
you get what you pay for really.

If you have delays etc-do you want compensation, reassurance?

You certainly dont get these with Ryanair and Cheesyjet !!

BA look after families in these circumstances.

I would not travel on these inadequate airlines with children, working in travel i know too much about what goes on im afraid.

Eurostar is a good option though. x

maryw4
18th June 2007, 22:02
raffles - how funny of all the places i do live less than 2 miles from heathrow.

i am just looking for a cheap way to take my son to eurodisney. originally i was saving my points to go but now you can only go by coach with points and even thats comng to an end.

The cheapest i can get the package for is ?800 going 20th sept for 4 days for 2 adults and 2 kids..

however, if i book the park and hotel l its ?400. so i thought if i get the flights for less than ?400 it will be worth it. i will now look at Easy jet - ive travelled with them before and never had a problem. thanks for your advice.

sammybear
18th June 2007, 22:29
Ok well as i said you get what you pay for.

I did book disneyland Paris for my friend last september, it was 1600 Airmiles and ?588 including flights, Disneyland hotel,character Breakfasts etc, it was from the Leger brochure, but can be booked at Airmiles Travel company.

A real bargain for 4 of them ! x

Raffles
19th June 2007, 20:38
I have never had serious trouble with Ryanair or EasyJet - unlike BA, who once made me wait 7 hours for a flight to Paris to take off! I also find them both acceptable to fly with - and this from a man who does a couple of BA First Class long haul flights every year. Although Ryanair's lottery ticket sales on board do annoy me ....!

Ryanair will stuff you if things go wrong. EasyJet is fine, though - look at the news today about the story of the EJ plane from Madrid that diverted to Barcelona when a woman died on board. EJ paid for a hotel for all the pax and they flew back next day. Ryanair would have left the passengers in Barcelona with nothing - as they did with a plane load of people in Trieste the other day when a flight to Venice was diverted due to storms. Plane landed past midnight in Trieste and passengers were dumped in the airport with nowhere to go.

sammybear
19th June 2007, 21:33
I have never had serious trouble with Ryanair or EasyJet - unlike BA, who once made me wait 7 hours for a flight to Paris to take off! I also find them both acceptable to fly with - and this from a man who does a couple of BA First Class long haul flights every year. Although Ryanair's lottery ticket sales on board do annoy me ....!

Ryanair will stuff you if things go wrong. EasyJet is fine, though - look at the news today about the story of the EJ plane from Madrid that diverted to Barcelona when a woman died on board. EJ paid for a hotel for all the pax and they flew back next day. Ryanair would have left the passengers in Barcelona with nothing - as they did with a plane load of people in Trieste the other day when a flight to Venice was diverted due to storms. Plane landed past midnight in Trieste and passengers were dumped in the airport with nowhere to go.

Mmm yes a publicity ploy actually Raffles !! do you think that EasyJet put people up whenever there is a delay/crisis etc.? NO of course not.

EJ knew they was going to be in the public eye because of the death on board, so they used it to their advantage- and yep they put all the passengers up in hotels. Yawn.

We know EasyJet dont do that !! It doesnt fool us in the Travel Industry- but i can understand people like yourself falling for it, as thats what they want.

There are lots of good Airlines, not just BA, First Choice is good, i love Continental and Qatar... and even xl are great.

But me personally- i wont travel Ryanair or Easyjet, would rather pay the extra 30 quid or so for peace of mind.:)

ChickenCottage
19th June 2007, 23:44
Easyjet left me stranded in Gatwick on my own after they cancelled my flight home at 11pm, after 4 hours delay. (staff shortage)
and yes, no hotel, no rebooking, promises of 300 euros compensation which they even wrangled their way out of that 3 months later.

shopaholicsan
20th July 2007, 15:33
Hi,
I am trying to find a short break to Berlin or Prague for the Xmas Markets but I have only found Airmiles that do short breaks with flights.
I have been saving points in a few clubcard accounts with 2 different surnames, can they all be converted to one airmiles account? I am not travelling with the person with the other surname but can use the points if I can get them on to one account.
I hope that's clear - any help gratefully received.
Sandra :)

Hummer
20th July 2007, 15:42
The only way to do this is
You must use the clubcard account in the surname your airmiles account is in.

You simply convert all the vouchers from that address using the same clubcard account.

However if the clubcard accounts are at different address to your airmiles account not sure if that will work or airmiles may reject them?

shopaholicsan
20th July 2007, 15:55
I didn't realise you could do that - have I understood correctly?
Does that mean I go into my main clubcard account and enter all the online codes from the clubcard vouchers from all the accounts at my address to order Airmiles or ANY deal and they will come in my name?

Thanks for the info anyway, I think I added to your rep but am still new at this!

Hummer
20th July 2007, 23:16
yes as long as all the accounts are at the same address you can convert them online through one single acount.

Jemima Puddle-Duck
20th July 2007, 23:50
Sorry for butting in on this post. I never knew you could do that, saves lots of hassle converting from 4 of my accounts seperately. I know everyones a bit nervy with merging of accounts etc so would this not cause a nosey nora at tesco end to suss out all my accounts or am i just being blonde:confused:

P.S Am quite knew and still trying to find my feet and time to post. Have repped you.

misspink
21st July 2007, 21:51
me and my friend are going on a trip around europe next year and i was looking into this airmiles business. Tesco do 60 airmils for ?2.50, the issue is would it be worth collecting the points, or simply better booking normally.

any advice taken, thanks

Gizmos
21st July 2007, 22:01
all depends on how rigid your itinaries are as well and where you are going/doing etc

wallsendmag
21st July 2007, 23:25
To be honest if you book early it would be just as cheap with a budget airline ,with Airmiles you still have topay the tax.Have you thought of Interail resonably priced and you get to see more of the countryside.

Greenpen
22nd July 2007, 09:05
Generally AirMiles offers poor value compared to actually buying the flights. You might consider it for hotel rooms though as you can pay the full amount in AirMiles as any taxes etc are included.

The same is true for British Airways frequent flyer miles; if you want to use these it is better to save hard and go business or first class as these give you great value for money. Again, better to buy a cattle class ticket than use BA miles.

SpeedbirdOne
22nd July 2007, 16:02
To get good value out a mile scheme, you have to be looking to fly long distance. You can then get yourself a BA Executive Club account, use your Tesco vouchers and convert them to BA Miles, and then get yourself a Amex BA Credit Card for the free companion ticket offer.

If you're prepared to be flexible and book well in advance, it's then possible to get some really cracking bargains, especially if you book Business Class or First Class. These cost 2X or 3X when paying in miles, but in reality would cost you at least 10X the economy price.

Taking Australia as an example, two people could fly Business Class to Australia for ?835 (plus taxes) in Clubcard Points, if you had the Amex 2-4-1 voucher. This is the total for the two of you. Paying for two business class flights to/from Australai would cost you in the region of ?8,000 plus.

But again, BA Miles works best if you're looking medium or long haul in Business. Can still be a good deal flying economy long haul. But neither BA Miles nor Airmiles is good for short distance (e.g. within Europe).

Hope this helps.

shopaholic2
22nd July 2007, 17:58
Generally AirMiles offers poor value compared to actually buying the flights. You might consider it for hotel rooms though as you can pay the full amount in AirMiles as any taxes etc are included.

The same is true for British Airways frequent flyer miles; if you want to use these it is better to save hard and go business or first class as these give you great value for money. Again, better to buy a cattle class ticket than use BA miles.

You will need a lot of airmiles for the hotels - you are probably better saving the airmiles for a longer haul flight rather than using them for hotels. When I phoned up I was told by an airmiles person that they are not competetive on their "hotels for airmiles" and that you are better off asking them to beat a competitors quote. We got their price down by getting them to beat a quote and you get airmiles when you pay. Double points if you pay by tesco credit card.

What you could do is go through the tesco travel club for hotels as I think that they go through lastminute.com and you can probably use clubcard points.Might work out better than using airmiles themselves.

Hummer
22nd July 2007, 17:59
Well its Tesco clubcard that highlighted the loophole to me.
They quoted there terms and conditions, they state vouchers can be combined within the same household. You can combine them either online or by sending them in via post too.

Tesco clubcard impose the surname rules to prevent the transfer and sale of vouchers outside of the household only.
Mainly to prevent the eBay sales.

Raffles
22nd July 2007, 19:44
Air Miles are useless for European flights. For a start, BA is still charging a massive fuel surcharge which you still pay on miles tickets, plus the massive passenger charge for using Heathrow. These 2 items alone mean that your taxes bill is likely to be higher than flying out of Luton or Stansted on a budget carrier.

HOWEVER ... it is worth both you and your friend applying for the BMI credit card. This comes with 20,000 BMI miles for signing up for the card. 20,000 miles is good for 2 free return flights (or 4 single flights) on BMI or another Star Alliance carrier in Economy or one free return flight and one one way (or 3 singles) in Business Class inside Western Europe.

misspink
31st July 2007, 09:49
thanks for all your help that has been great. think i shall start saving them and aim for something good, like long distance as u suggested..

thanks again

sylwright
31st July 2007, 10:16
Taking Australia as an example, two people could fly Business Class to Australia for ?835 (plus taxes) in Clubcard Points, if you had the Amex 2-4-1 voucher. This is the total for the two of you. Paying for two business class flights to/from Australai would cost you in the region of ?8,000 plus.

Hi SpeedbirdOne, in this example when you say ?835 in Clubcard points, is that the same as ?835 x 4 in deals? Also is this using BA miles or Airmiles?

I ask because I am hoping to go to Oz next July and would welcome any advice on the best way to do it using Tesco points.

Raffles
31st July 2007, 12:24
This is BA Miles. ?835 = 334 x ?2.50 vouchers, each of which is worth 600 miles. ?835 is therefore worth 200,000 BA Miles which is enough for ONE business class flight to Oz. (Economy would be 50% of the miles, but this is obviously a terrible deal compared to the massive difference you get in business class with the fully flat bed.)

To get 2 tickets, you need to take out a BA Amex credit card and spend ?10,000 on it within 12 months. This gets you a voucher for 2 BA Miles flights for the miles of 1.

However, this ignores one key point - it is very, very difficult to get BA Miles seats to Oz unless you book well in advance. For business class seats, you really need to book 11 months in advance.

If you want to get to Oz, you are probably better off looking at Virgin Holidays and seeing what they can do. If you were planning to visit family, consider booking a Virgin package with a hotel and simply not turning up at the hotel - it may still be cheaper using Deals than paying cash for the flights.

sylwright
31st July 2007, 13:23
Thanks for the advice. Have repped you. Think we will probably go with Virgin but its worth considering BA for another time.

SpeedbirdOne
31st July 2007, 19:30
Thanks for the advice. Have repped you. Think we will probably go with Virgin but its worth considering BA for another time.
Sorry for the late reply, have been working really hard these past few days (just started a new job after months out of work!) Raffles is correct in what he says about BA Miles. However in my opinion, they offer a cracking deal on long distance, especially on business, but it does pay to be flexible, as well as to research it fully before diving in. If used 'properly', and if you're a little flexible, then it's a bargain!

For someone like me, who wants to take his missus and go visit far-out places, and has a few places he wants to check out, BA Miles are perfect. I've never been interested in European holidays - I prefer to go further afield. And as travelling 12 hours+ in economy can be really uncomfortable to say the least, I'd prefer to travel in Business (Club) Class for such flights. This is where BA Miles are perfect.

I can save, save, save those points, get my Amex 2-4-1 voucher - then book ahead (as Raffles says, maybe upto a year ahead), and then use the time until the flight to save some money for the hotels, meals out, and the 'other' costs associated with the holiday.

When the time comes, I can look forward to a luxury holiday somewhere far-out, and travel there in style!

But of course it all depends what you're looking for. If you're only going to be traveling abroad once every 2-3 years or so, and would prefer it to be somewhere exotic, it's worth seriously considering the BA Miles+Clubcard Points+Amex BA PP card route. If long distance isn't your thing, probably both BA Miles and AirMiles aren't really great value, cheap flights or getting credit cards with free miles/flights may be better.

Hope this helps a little..

sylwright
1st August 2007, 00:26
Thanks for the reply SpeedbirdOne, and for the advice. I know what you mean, if I take holidays in Europe I don't do package tours, prefer to book things seperately myself. Still trying to figure out the best use of my Tesco cc vouchers, after August I will have over ?2000 when converted to deals. Obviously not enough for Oz but could pay a chunk of it. Would prefer to travel in Club class though, having taken trips to both Australia and New Zealand flying economy.

cliftonm
31st August 2007, 19:03
Can someone tell me how I change my clubcard vouchers to airmiles, I have set up an airmiles account but am unsure how to change them over.

Any help gratefully received.

Many Thanks

Michelle

Gizmos
31st August 2007, 19:06
Air Miles (http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/product.aspx?R=236)

select the denomination you want and follow the prompts through

cliftonm
31st August 2007, 19:09
Thanks,

What happens then? Do I get sent something or does it all happen automatically?

When I started to transfer them before I chickened out as I was putting the voucher numbers in.

Gizmos
31st August 2007, 19:10
you will need to provide your existing Air Miles account number otherwise they will create a new account for you

cliftonm
31st August 2007, 19:11
That is great, Thanks very much. :)

Gizmos
31st August 2007, 19:12
i must add I've not done Air Miles just BA Miles

Maverick
31st August 2007, 19:14
I dont really get airmiles, am wanting to go and see the new house in Tortola, would I be able to go on airmiles? Iis just scheduled airlines I take it, in which case it would mean, a flight to antigua and then on a local carrier such as Liat or Caribeaan star to Tortola. Would they be able to be airmiled?
Seems a quite expensive use of points to me? Unless you have a 2 for 1 as well of course, I could be better off getting a cheap package to Antigua perhaps?

Gizmos
31st August 2007, 19:15
Air Miles or BA Miles Maverick - the 2-4-1 is BA Miles Amex card

Maverick
31st August 2007, 19:25
Dont mind how I get there, we are all getting our tesco cards downgraded so may be worth getting an Amex now

nilrs
11th September 2007, 11:04
hi

ok here goes, we have deicded to go to florida next year and decided to book through disney to get the perks but we want to use our tesco vouchers to fly to florida, the only way i can see us doing it now is to use our vouchers for air miles pref virgin flights, has anybody any tips or views on airmiles? many thanks in advance.

nilrs

Raffles
11th September 2007, 12:07
You need to have a look at the Air Miles website to see how many miles you would need, then work out how many Tesco vouchers it is.

However .... availability for a family in the school holidays could be difficult. And, of course, you still need to pay the taxes for the flights which dimishes the value even further, especially as the taxes are around 30% of the total fare.

My gut feeling is that you will be far better off booking a Virgin package with Deals, even if you need end up paying a little extra for other things. You can see by searching PTS that almost everyone who goes to Florida ends up using Virgin.

morepoints please
20th September 2007, 22:49
As title says..can you? And can you upgrade a flight once its been paid for already?
Helen x

Raffles
21st September 2007, 22:02
You can upgrade a BA flight booking using BA Miles (not Air Miles) and only if the booking was made directly with BA AND (if its an economy flight) it is a semi-flexible refundable ticket.

So, for the average man in the street, the answer is No!

What you can do with BA Miles is upgrade from World Traveller Plus (even non-refundable WT Plus tickets) to business class. This is actually the best possible use of BA Miles. However, WT Plus is usually ?400 more expensive than World Traveller in the first place.

morepoints please
21st September 2007, 22:09
Oh, Its Virgin though,not BA.
Nevermind,stupid question sorry,thanks anyway,
Helen x

giantsf49er
4th October 2007, 18:46
Im looking to book a holiday for about 20,000 airmiles. Am I right in thinking I will need about 84,000 clubcard points for this?

Ive been stdying these figures for what feels like forever.

I can either got with 20,000 airmiles + ?800 or ?2000 all in for the same holiday.

Im tempted to think that the cash price would be the better option. What do you all think?

marie
4th October 2007, 18:57
I'm not sure how many miles you would need, but I know when I looked at air miles it worked out a lot of Tesco points to exchange, and I could get a much better deal changing for a different company eg cosmos.
But I suppose all holidays are different, maybe it was just where I was looking at going!

giantsf49er
4th October 2007, 19:52
Thanks for the response.

Im looking for flights only as I already have accomodation sorted so I cant use Cosmos or Virgin.

Gizmos
4th October 2007, 19:57
I get it to 83333.333333333333333333333333333 as the amount of Tesco Points you need

Raffles is the guru on travel advice

sammybear
4th October 2007, 20:31
Thanks for the response.

Im looking for flights only as I already have accomodation sorted so I cant use Cosmos or Virgin.

What route you looking at giantsf49er ? as its my job i think i can advice you better on this one ;)

S

sammybear
4th October 2007, 20:40
Hi All,

Especially Navara ;)

From January you will be able to book flights and pay NO taxes and charges- its a new pricing scheme based on Zones (majority of flights), so you can use all Airmiles for your trip.

Its a pilot scheme gone out to 70,000 customers from now until december.
From Jan 2008 will be available to all Airmiles customers.

Will update when i know more, i do have more info and prices but too much to put on here.

Thanks and hope it helps someone :)

DaisyChain
4th October 2007, 20:52
Hi sammy

I've had 2200 Airmiles since the year dot but never used them because the taxes have always been almost as much if not more than a budget flight

Can you tell me where 2 of us could go now completely free ?

sammybear
4th October 2007, 21:00
Hi sammy

I've had 2200 Airmiles since the year dot but never used them because the taxes have always been almost as much if not more than a budget flight

Can you tell me where 2 of us could go now completely free ?

Hi,

Any uk flight will be 500 Airmiles. eg: london-glasgow
Barcelona,Rome,Nice and others will be approx 1,200 Airmiles

Remember NO taxes and charges :)

DaisyChain
4th October 2007, 21:02
So nothing between 500 and 1200 ?

sammybear
4th October 2007, 21:09
So nothing between 500 and 1200 ?

Obviously there are places in between Daisychain, it is a pilot scheme to the selected ones but all prices will become available in Jan.

I just wanted people to be aware of the fact that flights can be booked using all miles soon - which is what customers have been asking for for quite some time.

DaisyChain
4th October 2007, 21:14
I remember you posting a few months back to that effect

I misunderstood as well - I thought you meant a the pilot was to selected customers but ALL destinations not selected destinations

I guess I'll have to wait a while longer

We've had them since at least 1999 I think - we won 1st prize in the pub's annual charity raffle. It must be a long time ago - they were originally paper vouchers

sammybear
4th October 2007, 21:17
I remember you posting a few months back to that effect

I misunderstood as well - I thought you meant a the pilot was to selected customers but ALL destinations not selected destinations

I guess I'll have to wait a while longer

We've had them since at least 1999 I think - we won 1st prize in the pub's annual charity raffle. It must be a long time ago - they were originally paper vouchers

Sorry to confuse you ..lol and yes i did say i would update when i knew when they were starting it from...and its jan2008.

Have you put your paper Airmiles into an airmiles account yet?

S

V1P3R
4th October 2007, 21:18
how many miles to dubai??
was 2000-2500 before for an adult ticket

DaisyChain
4th October 2007, 21:21
Yes, they've been electronic for a few years now thanks

sammybear
4th October 2007, 21:26
how many miles to dubai??
was 2000-2500 before for an adult ticket

Hi, i dont have all the costings at home with me..sorry

Yeah and the taxes are nearly ?200...madness !!

Of the top of my head USA ie New york,Boston etc are approx 5000 miles but again NO tax.

Australia 9000 miles- NO tax

There are routes that are not available - but not many.

penfold
4th October 2007, 21:26
Sounds interesting....

So from January would I be able to book transatlantic, with quite a few add on regional flights both here and in the states, just using miles?

sammybear
4th October 2007, 21:27
Yes, they've been electronic for a few years now thanks

Thats good, they are valid indefinately now they are in your account. :)

clh53
4th October 2007, 21:31
thanks for the info sammybear, i've left a rep

sammybear
4th October 2007, 21:39
Sounds interesting....

So from January would I be able to book transatlantic, with quite a few add on regional flights both here and in the states, just using miles?

Thats right, and also bear in mind they will be set prices and not seasonal.

S

sammybear
4th October 2007, 21:40
thanks for the info sammybear, i've left a rep

Thanks clh53 and your most welcome.

if i do know more in the near future i will post on here.

S

giantsf49er
4th October 2007, 21:54
Oh fantastic, cheers.

Im looking for Manchester to San Francisco 24 June to 15 July or thereabouts.

Im also looking for SUV rental while I am there, which has been budgeted into both the cash price and airmiles price quoted.

sammybear
5th October 2007, 00:13
Oh fantastic, cheers.

Im looking for Manchester to San Francisco 24 June to 15 July or thereabouts.

Im also looking for SUV rental while I am there, which has been budgeted into both the cash price and airmiles price quoted.

will check when im back in giantsf49er

But look on the other thread about Airmiles pricing from jan'08. (Travel Schemes)

S :)

giantsf49er
5th October 2007, 07:50
Will do. Forgot to mention thats its for 2 adults, 2 kids under 11 but over 2.

Irishsmurfy
5th October 2007, 08:07
Don't know if Cosmos do any flights to San Francisco but remember that you do not have to book accomadation with Cosmos - just flydrive!!

So if Cosmos do go to that area then you could be sorted - hope that helps.

giantsf49er
5th October 2007, 08:12
Had a look at Cosmos but they only seem to do Florida.

Sammybear, that thread is very interesting. Is there a rule of thumb as to how many miles = how much tax?

12600 miles + ?600 tax + ????? miles only.

sammybear
5th October 2007, 19:32
Had a look at Cosmos but they only seem to do Florida.

Sammybear, that thread is very interesting. Is there a rule of thumb as to how many miles = how much tax?

12600 miles + ?600 tax + ????? miles only.

Hi, no the Tax is set on what the airport charges, you will notice you will always pay more for a flight from Manchester than say Gatwick or Heathrow, i have been in meetings most of the day but asked around and not all the prices have been loaded yet- as its still on the pilot scheme- apparently will be between 5500 and 7000 miles pp, discounted by 10% for kids.
These flights will be loaded in January, and again NO Tax payable.

Sorry i cant help more- but wont know till Jan the exact miles on this one..
S:)

V1P3R
5th October 2007, 23:38
Hi, i dont have all the costings at home with me..sorry

Yeah and the taxes are nearly ?200...madness !!

Of the top of my head USA ie New york,Boston etc are approx 5000 miles but again NO tax.

Australia 9000 miles- NO tax

There are routes that are not available - but not many.

are these economy seats only??
i dont think you can fly premium economy or business class with airmiles!!!
this may deter the ba miles collectors here who prefer to fly in premium cabins (especially long haul eg OZ)

far canel
6th October 2007, 00:21
You can book all classes on the Airmiles website

sammybear
6th October 2007, 09:14
are these economy seats only??
i dont think you can fly premium economy or business class with airmiles!!!
this may deter the ba miles collectors here who prefer to fly in premium cabins (especially long haul eg OZ)

You will be able to book premium economy seats with Airmiles in the new pricing schemes- not sure how many extra miles they will as for though.

By the way everyone you wont be able to book/cost any of these flights till jan unless you have had the letter from airmiles saying you are in the pilot scheme- if you do get one then you can book/price them up now!
Some letters may be delayed because of the postal strike !

As for detering BA miles collectors- i dont think it really matters- its whats best for the individual and im just informing people of the new Airmiles Pricing.
Some peeps may find it better to stay with BA miles- i guess its just a case of pricing them both up.

Book with BA or Airmiles-(its all the same company) as long as i get paid at the end of the month i dont care ! lol ;)

Feeling a bit groggy this mornin'

S:)

shopaholic2
6th October 2007, 09:25
Sorry to confuse you ..lol and yes i did say i would update when i knew when they were starting it from...and its jan2008.

Have you put your paper Airmiles into an airmiles account yet?

S

I have got paper airmiles that I have not sent off yet - will i still be able to do so?

giantsf49er
6th October 2007, 09:38
Could you just clarify please?

The 5500-7000 per person, is that for the flight inclusive of tax or is that just for the tax iteslf?

sammybear
6th October 2007, 11:27
I have got paper airmiles that I have not sent off yet - will i still be able to do so?

Yes Shopaholic2, do you already have an account? If so just send them in with a note with your account number on.
If you dont have one, send them in and ask for them to open an account for you.
They will add the paper miles no problem

Heres the address:

Accounts and Collections Dept,
AIRMILES
PO Box 90
Birchwood
Warrington
WA3 7XA

sammybear
6th October 2007, 11:36
Could you just clarify please?

The 5500-7000 per person, is that for the flight inclusive of tax or is that just for the tax iteslf?

Its for the flight inclusive of taxes.

ooh to be a gooner!
6th October 2007, 12:33
If you are looking at flight only BA miles may be a better option although you need to book your flight months in advance. The beauty of the BA airmiles scheme is that with an amex BA credit card you can accumulate extra miles and if you spend ?10,000 over one year you get a free companion flight, which is very nice if you have enough miles for a business class seat.

I get most of my BA miles thru tescos and will be exchanging in the region of 50,000 ba miles this quarter (enough for an economy class flight to New York) but im saving for a business class flight to the far east.

Melcatfish
6th October 2007, 14:11
I assume you have checked that it isn't cheaper to book a holiday with virgin and get the cheapest accommodation available then just not use it? Depends on time of year of course.

Mel
x

gardner1
6th October 2007, 16:02
will this apply to ba miles/executive club members

shopaholic2
6th October 2007, 16:54
Yes Shopaholic2, do you already have an account? If so just send them in with a note with your account number on.
If you dont have one, send them in and ask for them to open an account for you.
They will add the paper miles no problem

Heres the address:

Accounts and Collections Dept,
AIRMILES
PO Box 90
Birchwood
Warrington
WA3 7XA

thanks for this Sammybear - just checking Airmiles had not stopped converting paper airmiles.

djl1963
7th October 2007, 09:08
Thanks for info sammybear.

V1P3R
7th October 2007, 12:08
You can book all classes on the Airmiles website

thanks - looked again and used extend search function which allowed a search for different cabin classes.
always thought airmiles only allowed economy seats!!!
also found the WT+ seat i was looking for which was not available on the ba site but was on the airmiles site
so definitely worth searching both if you have miles with both schemes

HELLO_KITTY
8th October 2007, 22:46
are airmiles a good deal? they dont seem to popular..

i want a weekend in berlin, i think airmiles is the only deal that does berlin?

anyone know how many miles would ?100 worth of clubcard vouchers get me?

giantsf49er
9th October 2007, 07:41
2400 air miles.

The general rule of thumb appears to be:

Clubcard vouchers (cash value, not points) x 24 = Airmiles

Raffles
9th October 2007, 09:06
are airmiles a good deal? they dont seem to popular..

i want a weekend in berlin, i think airmiles is the only deal that does berlin?

anyone know how many miles would ?100 worth of clubcard vouchers get me?

Berlin is the cheapest capital city in Europe for hotels - most of the five-stars are around ?100 / room / night on a weekend, with 3-stars at around ?25-?35 (just checked on Expedia - these are not numbers from the top of my head!). Check out what you'd pay in cash for a budget flight and your own hotel before using Deals.

candytot
14th October 2007, 17:37
Pease can anyone tell me if this is a good way to go. I would have about 3300miles at the moment but not sure if better to book holiday through tesco travel deals.Any advice welcome Thank you

Raffles
14th October 2007, 21:12
Without some more information (how many people travelling, school holiday or not school holiday, your preferred destination, your preferred class when flying) we can't really help!

whamfanuk
14th October 2007, 21:13
how do airmiles work? somebody who has just started colelcting asked me i was like? huh

disneymad
14th October 2007, 22:14
I cant seem to get my head around using clubcard points for airmiles and whether or not its worthwhile :der:

Can anyone help me with it, I am looking for direct flights to florida for 2 adults and 1 child I had a look on the airmiles site and it said the total miles needed would be 15950 is this right???

How many clubcard points would I need to get 15950 airmiles?

Thanks

Disneymad

clockwatcher
14th October 2007, 23:27
Have a look at the Travel Schemes subforum (under Loyalty Schemes). I think the general concensus is that Airmiles are generally not very good value. There is also BA Miles, which are different, and are apparently good if you want to go in first/business class. I'm not an expert on this though, so have a read through the travel schemes section and see what you can find there.

Conversion rate for Clubcard Vouchers to Airmiles is ?2.50 (250 points) gives you 60 Airmiles. so for your trip you'd need about 66,500 points, I reckon.

Raffles
15th October 2007, 09:20
Maths is correct. Remember too that Air Miles exclude taxes, which will be around ?300 for 3 tickets. You would almost certainly be better off going to Virgin Holidays, where the same ?665 of vouchers will get you ?2,660 (?665 x 4) of flights AND hotel, plus you'll save the ?300 you'd otherwise spend on taxes!

BA Miles would have been another option. 3 people would be 150,000 BA Miles which is ?625 of vouchers. However, same issues apply as Air Miles - you still need to pay the taxes, and you'd need to book around 11 months in advance to guarantee seats during the school holidays. And of course you still need to pay for your hotel.

Stick with Virgin.

candytot
15th October 2007, 18:06
Just was looking for general information.I think I would have more choice but looking for anyone who uses airmiles :)

sammybear
15th October 2007, 20:00
Just was looking for general information.I think I would have more choice but looking for anyone who uses airmiles :)

Hi Candytot,
What info is it you need ?
The conversion is ?2.50 clubcard = 60 Airmiles.
Airmiles is a full Travel Company, so you can use them for all Tour operators you would find in say:Thomas Cook. Airmiles do price match as well.

You can also use your Airmiles for the following:

Car hire
Hotels (uk and Worldwide)
Eurostar
Ferries
Theatre packages
Cruises
Days out and activities
Cases of wime

and more !

Check out the website at www.airmiles.co.uk

Hope this helps a bit :)

lizzie18
16th October 2007, 12:44
there are loads of other companies on air miles site - how do you know which we can use ?

woolymammy
16th October 2007, 16:30
we have booked to go to france end of next year through airmiles as keycamp not on tesco deal. when i rang up to ask who they took bookings for and if they had a list or anything.
was told that basically they take bookings for most major operaters :plane: and that only way to check, was before booking anything to ring them first to see if was bookable through them.
seems a bit of a complicated way to do it! i thought would been easier to have a list rather than have people ringing in all time to ask.

candytot
16th October 2007, 18:05
Hi I was looking to book flights either next year to cyprus or las vegas in three years for two people.Think airmiles might give more choice. Do not want to transfer my deals over and then regret it.

sammybear
16th October 2007, 19:56
Airmiles use all Tour operators that your High Street Travel Agent would use.
and they will price match for you- why would they have a list? they are a travel company- do Thomas cook have a list? noooooo. lol

Hug
20th October 2007, 19:16
Hi Candytot
Best value for airmiles is the far east, been to Hong kong for the last couple of years and flying with BA U need 4500 airmiles return. however!! Flying to orlando half the distance u need about 7000 airmiles. So Hong Kong Airmiles////Florida Tesco Deals/Virgin.

sammybear
20th October 2007, 22:35
there are loads of other companies on air miles site - how do you know which we can use ?

You can use any major travel company, and if they are on the website you can defo use them

MrsX
22nd October 2007, 14:16
Hi everyone I'm new here, so be gentle with me.

I'm looking at using my clubcard vouchers for a holiday next year. I had been looking at using my vouchers for clubcard deals for airmiles, but I seem to have calculated that ?2.50 cc vouchers are worth ?3.60 in airmiles, as opposed to the ?10 they would be worth in deals.

I've based this on the info on tesco website stating that ?2.50 cc vouchers = 60 airmiles, and have just phoned airmiles who told me that 1000 air miles was worth ?60 off a package holiday.

I was looking at a holiday costing around ?1440, costing ?1000 cc vouchers, where as a cosmos holiday at ?1500 would cost me ?375 cc vouchers.

Have I done my sums right?:help:

amanda22
22nd October 2007, 15:31
Hi

I've just been trying to work out similar to you. I got 10,500 miles needed for us to get to florida, the same 60 miles for ?2.50, this worked out at ?437.50 worth of clubcard vouchers (43,750 points) but worth ?1750.00 in deals if converted.

Based on my calculations yours looks about right as well.

Although looking on the airmiles website, which I'm not a member of yet, you can collect miles shopping elsewhere.

(insert smiley here)

p.s.I'm still finding my feet with all this as well but thought I would post as I've just been doing the same as you.

MrsX
22nd October 2007, 15:47
Thanks Amanda, Seems that I'll be going with cosmos and saving my self some vouchers.

Have you looked at clubcard deals to see if theres a similar trip to Florida? I think you can go with Virgin usind club card deals. I think they'll let you change your airmiles back to vouchers if you change your mind.

amanda22
22nd October 2007, 16:36
Hi

Yes I definitely think if you are looking for a complete holiday then cosmos or virgin are the better value when using the clubcard deals, I haven't changed any vouchers yet so I'm OK there.

I wanted flights only really, I know cosmos do a fly drive to florida but with virgin you have to book a holiday including accomodation, so I was looking at all the options including airmiles.

I don't think it would be too bad for me using airmiles but I'm not too sure what to do yet, think I'll just keep collecting and decide when I have enough to go anywhere.:)

Best of luck

tiger
22nd October 2007, 16:38
I'm sure that there will be someone on here later who will be able to advise you both.

Nice to see new members posting. :)

nixieh
22nd October 2007, 16:45
I too am currently looking at a holiday to Florida for next year and my calculations were the same as yours eg that Airmiles only give you a little bit more than the actual clubcard vouchers value eg my calculations were:

1 adult return flight to Orlando in August costs 10 300 airmiles (equivalent to ?420 of Tesco Clubcard vouchers according to my calculations) as well as ?166 in taxes:mad: Buying a flight with cash would cost about ?650 so the airmile cost is only just a little bit less than the cash cost!!!

Alternatively my ?500 of Clubcard vouchers will get me ?2000 off a Virgin or Cosmos holiday, although they are both a bit more expensive than I would pay for flights only I still think it is better value. For just over ?3000 I can get 2 adults and 3 kids fly drive to Orlando with Cosmos so if I take off my ?2000 I will only have to pay ?1000 for the whole family to go. Using airmiles will only just get me 1 person to Orlando for my vouchers!!!

amanda22
22nd October 2007, 17:32
Hi Tiger and nixieh

Thank you for the welcome.

Nixieh, yes you are quite right value wise, I looked at the cheapest Virgin holiday I could find for the same dates as the flights with airmiles, we are a family of 4, and it came out at ?2100.00 for us (that didn't include the online discount as I know you don't get that included), so only ?350.00 more than the flights alone with airmiles.

Looks like we are all calculating the same.

wallsendmag
6th November 2007, 13:19
Just popped into tesco and my receipt says my points have been converted to airmiles :eek: I stopped the auto conversion this time last year just waiting and praying that its an error.

rainbow
6th November 2007, 13:30
I did that too ages ago and my receipt still shows that message so I'm sure it will be fine. However.........and this is interesting.........when I emailed and asked for my points to be changed from airmiles back to points at the beginning of 2006, I got an email back to say it had been actioned and would take effect from my next statement. Well, it didn't so I demanded my points back, and attached their own confirmation email as proof it should have been done. Of course, they CAN'T reverse airmiles, so they had to refund me my points AND I got to keep the airmiles :) It was a fight, but I won. :D

Grace & Favour
6th November 2007, 13:34
Well done Rainbow . . I see you've put Tesco to flight!

(Doh!)

surfinjim
29th November 2007, 17:47
Have been saving my points and exchanging for airmiles for the last year. With 2 deals from Lloyds TSB, I've 3300 airmiles which I thought was good. Checking Airmiles site though, I think the best value I'll get is just on accom, and cheap flights from somewhere else.

Here's the cruxt of the question. Should I stick with Airmiles for the next coming year or switch and save for deals.

Any pro's and cons or general advice appreciated.

Cheers

Jim

suziq
29th November 2007, 18:15
i used to do airmiles but found the flights expensive and taxes made the flight more expensive in cash than cheapy flights. ok if ure a big saver on long haul i think.

Greenpen
30th November 2007, 08:31
I used to convert points to Air Miles but gave up several years ago when the scheme changed to the present one. It represents very poor value, or indeed higher prices, than flights that are available even on the full service airlines. Also the costs of up-grading to a higher class is not worth the effort.

If you are interested in air travel switch to collecting British Airways executive club miles using your points. You can use these on BA flights and the up-grading to, for example, business class is twice the economy rate. This is very good value if it is your sort of thing. You need to get a British Airways American Express credit card as well. They have an offer that gives you a free companion seat when you use your BA miles for a flight. This year I flew First Class to China with my partner and next year we have just booked first class to Argentina, almost all through exchanging BA miles with Tesco points.

Like you I still collect some Air Miles from other sources, but I use them for accommodation in hotels abroad rather than flights.

It is almost always not worth exchanging BA miles for economy flights as by the time you have paid the taxes the cost is near actual cash purchase anyway, but for up-grading it's wonderful. There are threads about this somewhere on PTS (sorry, I cannot find them to give you a link) but also on a site called FlyerTalk which is rather like this site but specialises in air travel stuff. It has a Tersco BA thread which would help.

If anyone thinks they are obsessed with collecting Tesco points a visit to FlyerTalk will be a revelation! You will come away feeling quite normal and well balanced!

99redballs
30th November 2007, 09:01
i was going to save for airmiles and one month i got an offer from airmiles in conjunction with tesco deals that said if i convert my vouchers to airmiles, for one month only they would double the amount of miles received.
well i though fantasic offer i'll soon be off on holiday to far east! i looked into it and even with the double airmiles it was still poor value along side virgin or cosmos.
hope that helps.

amf
30th November 2007, 09:33
I used to convert points to Air Miles but gave up several years ago when the scheme changed to the present one. It represents very poor value, or indeed higher prices, than flights that are available even on the full service airlines. Also the costs of up-grading to a higher class is not worth the effort.

If you are interested in air travel switch to collecting British Airways executive club miles using your points. You can use these on BA flights and the up-grading to, for example, business class is twice the economy rate. This is very good value if it is your sort of thing. You need to get a British Airways American Express credit card as well. They have an offer that gives you a free companion seat when you use your BA miles for a flight. This year I flew First Class to China with my partner and next year we have just booked first class to Argentina, almost all through exchanging BA miles with Tesco points.

Like you I still collect some Air Miles from other sources, but I use them for accommodation in hotels abroad rather than flights.

It is almost always not worth exchanging BA miles for economy flights as by the time you have paid the taxes the cost is near actual cash purchase anyway, but for up-grading it's wonderful. There are threads about this somewhere on PTS (sorry, I cannot find them to give you a link) but also on a site called FlyerTalk which is rather like this site but specialises in air travel stuff. It has a Tersco BA thread which would help.

If anyone thinks they are obsessed with collecting Tesco points a visit to FlyerTalk will be a revelation! You will come away feeling quite normal and well balanced!

I couldn't agree more with everything you said:)

Raffles
30th November 2007, 09:55
Air Miles are only good value if you redeem for special offer BA flights, such as the current '600 miles for business class in Europe'. They are also good value for short-notice BA flights in Economy - for example, if you want to go to Paris next week BA would want ?200 to book today but you can probably find a seat for 100 miles.

Pretty much everything else (hotels, leisure rewards, non-BA flights) works out at about 5.5p per Air Mile. It doesn't take a genius to work out that this is poor value. You are swapping 250 Tesco points (worth ?10 of deals) for 60 Air Miles worth roughly ?3.30.

I would only do it if you already have Air Miles from other sources and only need a few extra to reach a particular award level.

(To be honest, I also try not to recommend BA Miles to people unless they are high earners. You need to get the Amex 2-4-1 voucher to really make BA Miles work well, and this involves spending ?10,000 inside 12 months on an Amex card. For a lot of people this is not really achievable.)

sammybear
30th November 2007, 10:58
In the new year you will not have to pay taxes Surfinjum. I would just hangfire and await what the Airmiles new pricing will be. :)

Greenpen
1st December 2007, 18:25
Raffles is right about the American Express card. When I first got one I expected it to be accepted in much the same way as a Visa or MasterCard; alas it is not! Could not pay council tax. water rates, BT or most smaller outlets. All the big retailers like Tesco and Boots take it, as do the railways and any upmarket outlet too. But getting the ?10,000 spend is not a easy as expected. I think expedia has just started to take it but other internet travel firms may not.

But if travel rings your bell so to speak , it represents fantastic value when used against business or first class flights.

It helps if you are an old Tesco "Premium" customer as you get 800 BA Miles rather than 600.

pollyanna_11
28th December 2007, 14:02
As we have got accommodation arranged already, I was wondering whether airmiles is a better option than a flydrive with Cosmos (I want to book car hire separately too as its a lot cheaper that way). Has anyone done it and if so, how many airmiles do you need per return flight? :confused: The website is currently down, so I can't check but a rough idea would be useful.

Any pitfalls?

Gizmos
28th December 2007, 14:04
how many for and ages?

pollyanna_11
28th December 2007, 14:05
how many for and ages?

2 adults and one teenager, 13...:)

Gizmos
28th December 2007, 14:09
so that could be classed as three adults - which carrier would you be looking to go with and airport as i believe its all different

meemo38
28th December 2007, 14:10
I would love to know the cheapest way to do Florida via deals:D
Michelle

pollyanna_11
28th December 2007, 14:14
so that could be classed as three adults - which carrier would you be looking to go with and airport as i believe its all different

Carrier- don't mind as long as I get there, but am tied to dates so probably BA or Virgin....and would need to go from Gatwick I suspect. Any clues?

zaqwert
28th December 2007, 14:15
6500 airmiles from london airports or 7000 airmiles from regional airport (inc. taxes and charges) per person - not sure about child discount ??

pollyanna_11
28th December 2007, 14:18
6500 airmiles from london airports or 7000 airmiles from regional airport (inc. taxes and charges) per person - not sure about child discount ??

Ok, really dumb questions coming up now!:rolleyes:

Is that a return flight? Any catches? So, if I need 18500 miles (assuming same for a child as an adult how many clubcard vouchers do I need to collect? (my maths is diabolical!):) Thanks for your help.

Pollyanna

zaqwert
28th December 2007, 14:29
Sorry should have said - 6500 = return

Conversion rate is ?10 = 240 airmiles, so 18500 airmiles = ?770.83 in vouchers

= 77083 pts

...I think :der::der:

ruthie
28th December 2007, 14:34
Remember that you would still have to pay the taxes for the flights when using Airmiles or BA miles.

pollyanna_11
28th December 2007, 14:34
Sorry should have said - 6500 = return

Conversion rate is ?10 = 240 airmiles, so 18500 airmiles = ?770.83 in vouchers

= 77083 pts

...I think :der::der:

Thanks for that.... so, to be honest, I don't think that is going to work out any cheaper at all then.. I might as well just book through cosmos or virgin and hope its less hassle!:) Thanks for all your help everyone.

Gizmos
28th December 2007, 14:40
i think its a few more points than that?

zaqwert
28th December 2007, 14:58
Remember that you would still have to pay the taxes for the flights when using Airmiles or BA miles.

It seems that airmiles price now includes tax & charges - see news story

http://www.airmiles.co.uk/content/generatePage.do?destination=Airmiles+news

But taxes are still to be added to BA miles

Maverick
28th December 2007, 16:26
Any one know how ma y ba miles first to NZ and how much that is in deals?

Raffles
28th December 2007, 22:11
BA don't fly to New Zealand.

Sydney is 300,000 BA Miles in First or 200,000 in business, which is still a flat bed. That works out at (2.4 miles per 1p) ?1,250 of vouchers for F or ?833 for business.

If you get a BA Amex card you get 2 redemptions for the miles of 1, which halves the numbers above if 2 travel.

Oz tickets need to be booked 11 months ahead to be certain of the dates you want.

A single traveller could redeem BA Miles on Qantas and get a connection to NZ free, but you can't use the BA Amex '2 for 1' promo with a Qantas redemption.

pollyanna_11
29th December 2007, 22:37
It seems that airmiles price now includes tax & charges - see news story

http://www.airmiles.co.uk/content/generatePage.do?destination=Airmiles+news

But taxes are still to be added to BA miles

Sorry Guys, another question...

how exactly do airmiles work anyway? Do only a set number of flights come available to be paid for with airmiles (have done a dummy search for next year to see what happened, and it said only cash prices available):confused: If only a set number available, do you have to book really early, if so how early?

Thanks

Raffles
30th December 2007, 16:49
With Air Miles (NOT BA Miles, we're talking Air Miles) there are unlimited seats available as long as discounted economy seats are available for cash directly from the airline. This is because the Air Miles company buys your seat for cash from the airline involved. Basically, give or take, the number of miles you need will be the cost of flight divided by 5.5p - i.e. you get 5.5p of flight for every mile you redeem. A flight that the airline is selling for ?550 inc tax will usually cost 10,000 Air Miles unless there is a promo on.

With BA Miles, availability is very limited - only a handful of seats per flight are available. However, if you redeem for Business or First Class you get substantially better deals than through Air Miles. BA Miles is not recommended for Economy flights. Why? Well, it takes 50,000 BA Miles to fly Economy to New York (cash value about ?150 before tax) or 100,000 to fly Business Class (cash value around ?3,000).