PDA

View Full Version : Visa denied....very dis-chuffed !!

tanner833
31st May 2008, 20:31
As some may know we (partner and i) have been planning a trip to the US for the past two years. I found out i would have to apply for a visa, did so, and was refused :( .
The real downer was that i had just paid for the flights the day before the budget, fearing a price hike on aviation fuel.
The flights were the cheapest with continental airlines, and as such had a lot of restrictions, the worst being no refunds on them.
Can anyone offer advice as to how we could get our money back ???

Yours dejectedly, Mike.:(:frown::frown::frown:

siennahue
31st May 2008, 20:32
Is there nothing you can do to fix the visa problem?

Gizmos
31st May 2008, 20:32
dont think you can however you could just try and get names changed and "sell" them on

Polo
31st May 2008, 20:37
Any chance of it being covered by insurance - credit card or something? I don't know though, cos I'd guess they'd say its your responsibility to ensure you can travel? You might be able to sell them on as Giz says - name change and ebay them? Can you appeal against the decision?

Also - any reason why this is under PTS Quiz? Might get more help if it was moved to a section that made more sense?

Sorry can't offer more advice.

chirpy007
31st May 2008, 23:06
If the terms are that strict you might be in trouble. I think l would ring them explain and appeal to them, do they fly anywhere that you could fly to without a visa. They MAY let you swoop.

Good luck

tanner833
31st May 2008, 23:06
Thanks for the suggestions Gizmo and Polo, its ended up here by mistake, could you re-assign it for me Gizmo?
As for resolving the visa issue, i have contacted my MP, and await some news from her. Im not sure if i can change the names, but will investigate, thanks again.
Mike.

Gizmos
31st May 2008, 23:17
if you have misdemeanours you need to have a visa

chirpy007
31st May 2008, 23:18
.....is it coz you is from manchester?

Sorry, couldn't resist :o

Why/how did you find out you need a visa? I'm confused as i'm sure we didn't get one when we went :confused-2:

You normally fill in a visa waiver (green form) on the plane, it asks about criminal and terrorist activity.Some new passport applications will also require a visit to the visa office. I think holiday companies etc should make more obvious when you book that you might need one.

tanner833
31st May 2008, 23:28
Thanks Gizmo for moving it to a more relevant thread...:)...Yep, correct some minor indescretions in my youth prompted my application, but i found out later that they didnt need to be disclosed, and werent the reason for the refusal. Apparently full time carers are classed as unemployed as far as the US government is concerned, so i couldnt show "strong familial and financial ties to the UK"....how arrogant.

Darach
1st June 2008, 00:06
A similar thing happened me last year, when holiday was already booked. I was denied a visa for similar reasons, I was told the tickets bought from American Holidays were non transferable and non refundable, after alot of arguing and speaking directly to Delta, I managed to get the dates on the tickets changed to a year later, I intend to reapply for the visa, and am confident that I will be better prepared to put forward my case.

Raffles
1st June 2008, 09:34
You have absolutely no claim under your insurance if you are denied a visa, unfortunately. The best you can expect is the taxes back on your flight ticket unless you get lucky.

Note also that, as far as I know, there is no such thing as a 'spent conviction' as far as the US Embassy is concerned. You may not have to disclose a conviction when applying for a job but you do still have to disclose it on the visa form.