PDA

View Full Version : Are postal orders as good as cash?

Beej
6th February 2007, 14:06
I've received a postal order this morning for an Ebay sale. It looks like a cheque and is made payable to me. Do I have to wait for it to clear before I send my item? It doesn't look like it has been crossed so perhaps I could get cash at the Post Office,

s879
6th February 2007, 14:12
Yes,they are like cash if not crossed and even if it is crossed, there is no risk of it not clearing once you deposit it into your bank account as it is already paid for at the post office. Just pop into your post office and encash it. It is usually valid for six months so just check the date, in case an older one was sent to you. Hope this helps.

Beej
6th February 2007, 14:18
Thank you for your quick response S879, this means I can post the item today and I will get cash for the Postal Order at the same time. Thanks again.

rainbow
6th February 2007, 14:26
yes, they're a good way to get payment if the buyer doesn't have paypal.......no waiting for clearance. They cost the buyer a bit extra over and above the cost of the PO so this is why they're not that widely used.

janedoe
6th February 2007, 18:55
Yes,they are like cash if not crossed and even if it is crossed, there is no risk of it not clearing once you deposit it into your bank account as it is already paid for at the post office. Just pop into your post office and encash it. It is usually valid for six months so just check the date, in case an older one was sent to you. Hope this helps.

If they are not crossed you can cash it at the Post Office but if it is crossed you now have to pay it into the bank and it is treated the same as a cheque and takes x amount of days to clear but obviously it will clear and you will get your money.

Beej
6th February 2007, 18:57
It wasn't crossed so I went to Post Office this afternoon and got 80 in lovely cash.

janedoe
6th February 2007, 19:02
It wasn't crossed so I went to Post Office this afternoon and got 80 in lovely cash.

Super job. :D