PDA

View Full Version : Who grows their own veg?

ohsobusy
9th February 2007, 21:56
I'm feeling a bit inspired at the mo. After watching Dick Strawbridge go green and other gardening programs I've got the bug to have a go. The downside is I am completely ignorant on all things horticultural but I've got enough room in the garden for a fair size veg plot so here goes.

Does any one know if February is too late to prepare a plot. Should I have started before Christmas? :confused: If that's the case it'll have to just be in the green house or growbags.

If anyone else out there wants to join me I would love the company and the moral support.

Gizmos
9th February 2007, 22:00
it's never too late to prepare a plot - indeed if you do the main clearing up now the frost that are hitting at the moment will help kill of some of the stuff

Gizmos
9th February 2007, 22:04
My father has an allotment - its a lot bigger than standard ones about 50ft by 20ft. He always had it full of veg even in the winter. Often as youngsters my sister and I would take a barrow full of veg from allotment and try to sell it as he had too much - though to be honest we gave a lot away. My father was rather successful with his, peas, beans, turnip, potatos, parsnips, sprouts, cauli, cabbage no wonder I love my veggies. Also he never used pesticides he just rotated his crops. Had a small coldframe with tomatos and cucumbers - I had a herb patch where the parsley went wild!

M3chanical_animal
My OH's parents grow there own veg and everytime we go up to Bristol to visit we get loads of fresh veg and its always tastes so nice! Makes me loof forward to the day I have my own garden and can grow our own!

ohsobusy
it's never too late to prepare a plot - indeed if you do the main clearing up now the frost that are hitting at the moment will help kill of some of the stuff

Good news :) Thanks Giz. Will get that fork out this weekend. Knowing my luck it will be :rain: all the way.

ohsobusy
9th February 2007, 22:09
I've tried doing tomatoes so many times I just can't get the hang of when I chop off the offshoots. My neighbours tomatoes all hang beautifully on the vine and mine are just a bushy mess. Oh well, will have to learn properly this year.

Gizmos
9th February 2007, 22:13
I've tried doing tomatoes so many times I just can't get the hang of when I chop off the offshoots. My neighbours tomatoes all hang beautifully on the vine and mine are just a bushy mess. Oh well, will have to learn properly this year.

you need only remove the "creeper" bit that grow between the main stem and the branch (its called a sucker as it sucks the growth/goodness from the plant ) if you nip these out when they appear and then nip out the growing tip when they get to about 3ft - you should be ok - also if you grow them in pots rather than in the ground you can turn the pots so the fruit gets an even share of sun

ohsobusy
9th February 2007, 22:19
you need only remove the "creeper" bit that grow between the main stem and the branch (its called a sucker as it sucks the growth/goodness from the plant ) if you nip these out when they appear and then nip out the growing tip when they get to about 3ft - you should be ok - also if you grow them in pots rather than in the ground you can turn the pots so the fruit gets an even share of sun

My MIL has tried showing me so many times how to take out the bit between the plant and stems. I still can't seem to get it right. Will persevere this year a bit harder.

Last year the problem with pots was remembering to water the damn things. :doh: But this year I guess I'm going to be out there every day so I shouldn't forget. :D

Gizmos
9th February 2007, 22:22
My MIL has tried showing me so many times how to take out the bit between the plant and stems. I still can't seem to get it right. Will persevere this year a bit harder.

Last year the problem with pots was remembering to water the damn things. :doh: But this year I guess I'm going to be out there every day so I shouldn't forget. :D

I think that you need to get as close to the stem and pinch it cleanly out.

With regards to water have you a butt?? If not get one and use that, also use a compost that has water retaining properties

Gizmos
lol - this sounds like "Gardening with Gizmos"

tiger
If you turn the soil before a frost then the frost helps to make the soil more workable.

An easy variety of tomato to grow is tumbler. It has cherry type fruit and doesn't need any pinching out and you can grow it in tubs or hanging baskets. There are probably other similar varieties if you look around.

I don't grow a lot of veg as my garden is rather steep and has a lot of trees, but I always grow runner beans. They are really easy to grow and taste so much better than any you can buy.

ohsobusy
9th February 2007, 22:25
lol - this sounds like "Gardening with Gizmos"

Who needs Titchmarsh. Whenever I run into problems I'll know just who to ask. :D

Gizmos
9th February 2007, 22:26
Who needs Titchmarsh. Whenever I run into problems I'll know just who to ask. :D

I'll put you in touch with my dad - lol

ohsobusy
9th February 2007, 22:26
If you turn the soil before a frost then the frost helps to make the soil more workable.

An easy variety of tomato to grow is tumbler. It has cherry type fruit and doesn't need any pinching out and you can grow it in tubs or hanging baskets. There are probably other similar varieties if you look around.

I don't grow a lot of veg as my garden is rather steep and has a lot of trees, but I always grow runner beans. They are really easy to grow and taste so much better than any you can buy.

No pinching out, now that's my kind of tomato. :clap2: Will look out for that one.

Jules_2005
9th February 2007, 22:30
I grow strawberries ;) . I'm more of a non vegetable gardener, I much prefer growing tropical looking plants that aren't supposed to grow in my neck of the woods

Saver
9th February 2007, 22:54
Ah, I had a go last year. I was really motivated, but like you I couldn't remember to water them. I didn't have clue about gardening either :o Tomatoes grew well though. DD1 loved picking them. I tried to grow beetroot, pumpkins and squash but the slugs had them! I wasn't out on slug patrol often enough (DD2 was born in August - a combination of too lazy when heavily prgnant and not enough time when she was born). They can all drown in Lager this year :) I did have a go at spring onions and mini corn too (only 2 corns grew and I picked one too early and one too late).

Mamzie
9th February 2007, 22:58
Bush tomatoes are much easier to grow. We grow a mixture of kinds, lots of yellow and orange tomatoes as well, very tasty. We grow ours in our polytunnel normally but we've sadly lost it this winter to the winds..

I use large washing up bowls and fill them up with water to stand my pots in. Its hard to get a small pot to hold enough water for a thirsty tomato sometimes.

If you are near a Morrisons they sell off their flower buckets 8 or 10 for a 1, lovely size pots.

Also actually pinching out the side shoots isn't always necessary. It came about mainly to make harvesting and growing easier for commercial growers. If you think about it a farmer wants all his tomatoes to ripen at a similiar time, and to be able to pick. By leaving a few side shoots on or using older tomatoes or bush types, you can extend the harvesting season by loads..

Pearls
9th February 2007, 23:19
With regards to water have you a butt??

I have a butt - it's huge..................but don't have anywhere to store water - or is that what cellulite is for?

tiger
9th February 2007, 23:27
LOL. Pearls.

Mamzie, those flower buckets are great. When we had our plant nursery, we used to pot on the unsold young plants and grow them on in the buckets and would sell the plants with fruit on.

baffled
9th February 2007, 23:33
Dig deep now.
Two spades depth.
Get the compost down to the bottom of the trench.
Plant at the 'full moon'.
Orientate your rows North/South.
They then all recieve equal light;
[If orientated East/West the Southern-most row gets max. sun and will overgrow and hence overshadow and deprive the rows behind].
Best tip tho' is to 'warm the soil'.
Once half-past February is gone, use 'black-plastic' sheet to cover the plot.
Acts as a heat collector and insulating blanket.
Plant under it and don't roll it back till the growths are distinctly sturdy.

B..

Mamzie
9th February 2007, 23:40
Now digging see, me and my dh always disagree over this.. I'm no-dig, hes a dig or rotavate every year guy.. I say that just spreads the weed seeds, he just chucks on some more mulch..

I grow one for me, one for the bugs, one for the birds and one for luck.. His ideal is lots of immaculate veggy plants.. Me, - mulch, deep watering, transplant once, plant sets - anything to to make my life easier, his idea spend 6 hours a day weeding and grow more than Tesco could sell...

My hero Bob Flowerdew, his hero Percy Thrower (?)..

6lilpigs
10th February 2007, 13:04
Wow all you guys are out of my league. I bought a strawberry plant a couple of years ago. I think we got about 4 strawberries of it and loads of long runners, I dont know if I should have been cutting these off or if I could start to grow another plant off them.
I think I will try runner beans this year. Do I literally put a few seeds in a big pot with soil/horse muck in and water daily. Also can I put strawberries in hanging baskets?

Gizmos
10th February 2007, 13:13
Wow all you guys are out of my league. I bought a strawberry plant a couple of years ago. I think we got about 4 strawberries of it and loads of long runners, I dont know if I should have been cutting these off or if I could start to grow another plant off them.
I think I will try runner beans this year. Do I literally put a few seeds in a big pot with soil/horse muck in and water daily. Also can I put strawberries in hanging baskets?

yes you can put strawberries in hanging baskets

tiger
10th February 2007, 13:50
You can grow runner beans in a large pot, but I find they do best in the open ground. I start them off in the greenhouse, in small single pots, harden them off by putting them out during the day for a few days and then plant them out when there is not much risk of frost.

You can get dwarf varieties which I think do better in pots than the tall varieties.

Save your strawberry runners and grow new plants. I like to grow them in tubs, because we have so many slugs in our ground. It doesn't stop the slugs completely from getting them, but it helps.

ohsobusy
10th February 2007, 14:40
With regards to water have you a butt??

I have a butt - it's huge..................but don't have anywhere to store water - or is that what cellulite is for?

Lol Pearls. My butt is similar to yours methinks.

Actually the thought of a water butt terrifies me. All my chidren are such keen climbers I would worry that I would turn my back for a mo, or take one to the loo and come back to find one of them drowned. Oh where is the shudder smilie?

Gizmos
10th February 2007, 15:00
Lol Pearls. My butt is similar to yours methinks.

Actually the thought of a water butt terrifies me. All my chidren are such keen climbers I would worry that I would turn my back for a mo, or take one to the loo and come back to find one of them drowned. Oh where is the shudder smilie?

You can get enclosed ones, or at least ones that have a good fiting lid and you just use the "tap" at the bottom

Mamzie
10th February 2007, 16:22
Kids love the one with the tap at the bottom and will spend hours watering for you..

Do you know I'm very tempted to try a few runner beans in hanging baskets this year as well, I have a theory that if it can climb up, it could also dangle down... I've grown morning glory and nastusiums (?) both climbers in baskets before..

Also if you are limited for space bush tomatoes in flower tubs look nice.

gwillymsarah
10th February 2007, 18:47
i would like to grow my own fruit and veg but only have a concrete back yard. what is best for starting that can be grown in tubs?

Gizmos
10th February 2007, 18:51
i would like to grow my own fruit and veg but only have a concrete back yard. what is best for starting that can be grown in tubs?

I would start with something like tomato or strawberries; or other dwarf varieties

penfold
10th February 2007, 18:56
Grow quite a few bits and bobs, lots of strawberries and rasps (Mmm..yum) tomatoes, potatoes, salad veggies & huge gluts of courgettes (courgette pickle anyone?????)

Fancy trying peppers this year in the greenhouse, anyone grown these?

Maldives
10th February 2007, 18:58
I was looking at potato pots the other day, seemed a bit expensive at 20 a go, but looked a good idea especially if you have a concrete garden.... I wan to to grow my own veg too, need to get myself organised tho, which I can never do...

Maldives
10th February 2007, 18:59
My Mum grew peppers & chillies last year.... do you want me to ask her what she did...

penfold
10th February 2007, 19:00
My Mum grew peppers & chillies last year.... do you want me to ask her what she did...

That would be fab....never though about chillies, they would be good as well....could bottle some in oil for christmas presents and the like.....

Maldives
10th February 2007, 19:03
No probs will send her a quick email now, or with a brain like a sieve I will forget.... must say her chillies were great, I kept going round and pinching them...

Mamzie
10th February 2007, 19:34
Never tried chillies, but discovered I loved sweet peppers last year.. Grew the normal red, yellow and green ones, plus a long pointy green one, and a very light green short pointy one. I just treated them like tomatoes and had loads from them. I also love apple cucumbers.

Sarah remind me in the spring and I'm always looking for homes for tomatoes, peppers, and some herbs.. I supplied Bees, Catrinas school and the nursery last year with some and around a 75 trays of flowers between them. Only the basic marigolds, magarites, etc.. but it was great fun.

I just need to persude dh that a new polytunnel is an essential for us, and drag myself away from here..

penfold
10th February 2007, 19:46
Never tried chillies, but discovered I loved sweet peppers last year.. Grew the normal red, yellow and green ones, plus a long pointy green one, and a very light green short pointy one. I just treated them like tomotas and had loads from them. I also love apple cucumbers.

Sarah remind me in the spring and I'm always looking for homes for tomatoes, peppers, and some herbs.. I supplied Bees, Catrinas school and the nursery last year with some and abround a 75 trays of flowers between them. Only the basic marigolds, magarites, etc.. but it was great fun.

I just need to persude dh that a new polytunnel is an essential for us, and drag myself away from here..

So they are quite easy then? Sounds good.

We grew apple cucumbers last year but not too keen on them....easy to grow but found them very strong tasting.

Trying to concentrate more on the garden this year now that DD will be able to be in it with us...'helping' :D :eek:

ohsobusy
11th February 2007, 18:57
Peppers were really easy. (I'm assuming I did them the right way in the greenhouse last year). They were so low maintenace. Just had to water and feed them.

I didn't grow anything from seed. I bought them as little plants that I just had to pot up. This year I might have a go at doing some from seeds.

I would love to have a go at growing a vine. Next door has a huge one in their conservatory. Its over 25 years old. Each august/september time, I drool over the fresh grapes hanging from the ceiling. Never been offered a single grape yet but I live in hope.

princess_poppet
12th February 2007, 22:39
I wanted to do a little Veggie patch / allotment in our garden, that i can do with my children as an learning and family thing.

I am waiting for that kim wilde Gardening with children to come out in MArch but is there anything i can do in the meantime.

I am an complete novice at gardening so any help or tips about what to do for preperation would be great

Maldives
13th February 2007, 15:06
Penfold, my mum bought chilli & peper plants and just grew them on in the greenhouse, she said they were real easy.... I have told her to get me some plants this year too..

tiger
13th February 2007, 16:04
In case you haven't seen Whamfan's post about the free strawberry seeds, I've copied it again in to here

Request Thompson and Morgan 2007 fruit catalogue and get a free packet of strawberry seeds worth 3.29.

call 01473 695 225 and quote GRR9396

the advert was in Grow your own magazine Feb 2007 if anyone asks.

Freckles
17th February 2007, 14:43

New potatoes, carrots, tomatoes all grow well in tubs, thats what we do cause i don't want to dig my garden up!

Maldives
20th February 2007, 13:08
I really am hopeless at veg gardening, just ordered a book called Square Foot Gardening... I don't have much space and thought it might give me some goods ideas on how to get the most out of the plot I do have....

ohsobusy
22nd April 2007, 19:34
Well I never managed to dig my plot, that will have to wait until the autumn, but I have decided to do all my growing in pots this year. I can't believe how easy it is to grow things from seed. I've started on my lettuces, radishes, cherry tomatoes, shallots, cucumbers, herbs and salad leaves.

I am really proud of my cucumber and tomato plants though. If I'd have known sooner how well they were going to turn out, i would have planted hundreds and sold them at a boot fair. I'm sure I paid over 1.30 each for established tomato plants last year. I can buy the seed, pots and compost and get them to a sellable size for about 15p each. I think it's probably too late to start off that many for this year. But next year I will be ready to join in with the money making challenge. :D

cazw
5th April 2008, 10:38
OK, i'm bumping this thread up as I'm growing my own veg this year and want to find other like minded ppl to chat with about it :D

Caz

CrystalTips
5th April 2008, 10:48
Good idea Cazw. Really need to think about growing my onions this year, as the prices are set to hit the roof, due to poor crops last year.

Was offered an allotment, but due to health have turned it down for this year. So would like to use some of the garden & ease myself back into thinks again. Slow gaining back a garden from what currently looks like a building site. So will be doing the strawberries & herbs in the hanging baskets as last year & hope to make some room for the onions this week.

What will others be growing?

tiger
5th April 2008, 10:52
I decided to start some broad beans off in pots in the greenhouse. The mice have found them and eaten most of them. :(

I wish I'd put them straight in the ground now, but I thought the pots would give them a better start. Our ground is full of slugs and snails. I can't win.

CrystalTips
5th April 2008, 11:00
Oh dear tiger, maybe make a comfortable bed for the cats in the greenhouse & hopefully the mice won't be a problem.

Pond in the garden with lots of frogs in has keep the slugs down here. We still get them but no where near as bad.

99redballs
5th April 2008, 11:08
i've sown some tomatoes before going on holiday, and i've just come back to lots of seedlings.

Clairog
5th April 2008, 11:40
Oh fab :D Don't know how I've missed this thread. Me and my mum share an allotment that we got in 2006. I absolutely love it and it was my saving grace when I had my dark times last year. I used to go and dig and cry and cry and dig and it was the best therapy.
Last year was our first full year and we did really well. Loads of potatoes, onions, shallots, parships, beetroot, peas, etc etc and my pride was 5 giant pumpkins that we had for halloween, DD's nursery were delighted with one.
So I'll be following this thread with interest for tips from you experts.
Being pg again and having Finn in January has put paid to much preparation this year so far but we've nearly finished our digging and have all our pease coming up in a half drain pipe to put straight in the ground later. Lots of other weird things coming up e.g. trying okra for the first time. I'm planning to wean Finn on organic veggies this summer if possible.
Happy planting
Claire:Cooking: - couldn't find a veggie smilie

cazw
5th April 2008, 12:03
oh wow, lots of you out there, well I'v just started the gardening gossip thread too, that is mainly for ppl to just say whats going on in their garden at the moment and ask questions as I'm only a novice veggie grower i'll prob be asking quite a few Q's!

Caz

ohsobusy
5th April 2008, 12:48
I started sowing my cherry toms, cucumber and peppers back in feb. They are all on my bedroom windowsil at the mo. My cucumbers have a bit too well. they have got quite a few little cucumbers on them already, and I'm panacking a bit. Its way too cold to put them in the green house but they are going to need training and supporting soon. Would love some advice from any experts out there.

tiger
5th April 2008, 13:43
Oh dear tiger, maybe make a comfortable bed for the cats in the greenhouse & hopefully the mice won't be a problem.

Pond in the garden with lots of frogs in has keep the slugs down here. We still get them but no where near as bad.

We've got lots of frogs. I think they come from neighbours ponds. They love it in the polytunnel. They used to startle me at one time, but I love seeing them there now. Maybe a pond would increase the numbers though. We have a large garden with fields at the side and back so plenty of room for the slugs to live.

CrystalTips
5th April 2008, 14:45
We've got lots of frogs. I think they come from neighbours ponds. They love it in the polytunnel. They used to startle me at one time, but I love seeing them there now. Maybe a pond would increase the numbers though. We have a large garden with fields at the side and back so plenty of room for the slugs to live.

Did you watch Gardeners world last night? They were saying on there that coffee sprinkled on the ground around the plants, with copper wire & beer traps were the best organic methods.

My great uncle used to say the best thing was to drink the beer, then in the evening, go out with a bucket & torch & pick the slugs & snails up by hand. He always had beautiful crops & loads of birds, as he would put the slugs in a bucket & give them to the birds.

tiger
5th April 2008, 15:25
Yes. I'll have to try collecting them up. DH treads on them and then when other slugs come to feed on the dead ones, he treads on them as well. I hate it because it's so messy. I'm forever having to clear it all up.

CrystalTips
5th April 2008, 15:36
Yes. I'll have to try collecting them up. DH treads on them and then when other slugs come to feed on the dead ones, he treads on them as well. I hate it because it's so messy. I'm forever having to clear it all up.

Ewwwww, muckie B. Men; just little boys! Slugs, snails & puppy dogs tails & all that. :D

tiger
5th April 2008, 15:39
Ewwwww, muckie B. Men; just little boys! Slugs, snails & puppy dogs tails & all that. :D

Definitely. :D

cazw
5th April 2008, 19:10
last year i found sticking 2P coins to my pots in a continuos line around the top stopped the slugs getting in the pots while the plants were small... unfortunetly once they got bigger and started climbing up the fence the slugs got clever and wen't up the fance and came down onto the peas and beans :(

Caz

meemo38
12th April 2008, 22:13
Right you lot, i have never been a gardener, i like to see a nice garden, but dont like to do it....but we moved at the end of jan and i had this mad surge and went and bought some seeds, so currently in a seed tray i have some cabbage, brussels and purple broccolli, they have all sprouted up now but what do i do with them when they start getting to big for the tray....put them in the garden???
Will they need some feed or anything special doing to them, i am a complete novice.
Also got 3 tommy plants in the kitchen window, growing nicely which i got DS to plant with me.
Michelle

suzanne s
13th April 2008, 11:36
We were allocated an allotment in January this year, but the weather has definately been against us. I'm not expecting miracles this year, so far just potatoes and rhubarb planted. I want to concentrate on building the composts, getting some water butts etc.

We've also bought a lightweight Morrisons greenhouse for some toms', peppers, etc - anything small and easy! :lol:

cazw
20th April 2008, 07:14
don't forget peas and runner beans, they leave alot of nutrielnts in the ground that will help you out no end next year!!

Rexybaby
20th April 2008, 12:22
We got into growing veg a year or two ago in a small way, and currently have 60 spanish onions, half a dozen cherry toms, and a cucumber plant in the greenhouse and a couple of cold frames with radish & lettuce. Beans are outside growing up the garden fence along with some raspberry canes (these were lovely last year).

icho
20th April 2008, 13:02
my dd1 planted a tomato seed at school [previous to this they did daffodils and it's still in flower!]. Anyway it's in her bedroom window as it gets good sun there. It's doing quite well at mo. We struggle as our backyard is flagged. i've got pots of flowers rather than veg. just moved in so still working out best sun/shade areas but may venture to veg next year?

Tesco's best friend
20th April 2008, 13:35
I have an allotment 25 foot by 110 foot(not sure if thats full size and love it. This is my second year and got baby plants every where in the house.

I get quite down at times but I'm always happy at my plot, first thing I put in my shed was a bottle opener. I take my children with me - they love it.