PDA

View Full Version : I'v got an allotment!!!!!!

cazw
25th June 2008, 19:34
OMG!!! they just called to say i have got to the top of the waiting list and can i come down tonight to look at my plot and be shown the ropes!!!

YYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YY!!!!!

Only problem is i have no idea where to start when it comes to what to plant??!!!??!

I'm guessing i wont be able to plant anything untill next month unless i'm very lucky and get one in good condition.... I'm just so excited!!

I'll take my camera with me when i go and take some pics and will keep a blog of how we get along over the next few weeks clwearing/planting!!

Any advice would be very welcome! I truly am a novice at this (well i grow stuff in pots in my very small garden)

Caz

mmm
25th June 2008, 19:36
Well done caz.

Not sure what you can plant at this time. Ive got all my cabbages/caulis/ beans etc in & growing well. Maybe put some carrots/beetroot in.

Hope it all you wish for & more :)

dune
25th June 2008, 19:37
make friends and get advice from other people there
They will know the soil type and conditions ..what grows well and what doesn't

I'm sure you'll have a great time growing your own fruit and veg :)

MEONLYA
25th June 2008, 19:39
Wow how exciting.I'd love an allotment.I grow toms, lettuces, runner beans and for the first time this year peas .All are in pots but doing ok .My peas have got 3 pods on them , i found them this morn and was very excited.Enjoy all the hard work that comes your way, but more importantly enjoy all the lovely fresh fruit and veg that you will be bringing home soon.

Pearls
25th June 2008, 19:39
My tip for the day - shoot all the pigeons before putting in brassicas. The wretched ********* things have been defying my netting again!

Darkangel709
25th June 2008, 19:41
Well done you!!! hope you grow loads of loverly stuff xxx

jordsbabe
25th June 2008, 19:43
Cool I would love an allotment, but just really don't have the time, however I have just joined this Forum

www.allotments4all.co.uk

they are really really friendly, I have a greenhouse and i'm growing some veg in pots. I only joined last night and i've already received loads of great advise!

Dolly Daydream
25th June 2008, 20:35
Wow how exciting.I'd love an allotment.I grow toms, lettuces, runner beans and for the first time this year peas .All are in pots but doing ok .My peas have got 3 pods on them , i found them this morn and was very excited.Enjoy all the hard work that comes your way, but more importantly enjoy all the lovely fresh fruit and veg that you will be bringing home soon.

LOL, the feeling is great isn't it, me and ds eat our first full pod today, they tasted fab.

Enjoy your allotment I would soo love one, but the waiting list is approx 5 years with us so I will make do with my pots in the garde. Enjoy

cazw
25th June 2008, 22:51
OK, here it is, it runs all the way down to the hedge/fence and the boarder runs along where the bottles on sticks and the compost bin on the left is on the edge of my plot (and is full of forks,spandes, pots and a few panes of glass- BONUS!!!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/mum2astar/my%20allotment/104_6482.jpg

The little girl is my daughter..lol

The plot is also right next to the water tap and as you can see has a wonderfull view to, it has ALOT of weeds on it but nothing a bit of hard work wont sort out, it also has about 5 raised beds already there, but they may not stay, we haven't decided yet.

So, what do you think???

Caz

CrystalTips
25th June 2008, 22:55
Caz it looks brilliant hun. Really pleased for you.

jordsbabe
25th June 2008, 22:56
It looks like heaven - weeds and all! and by the looks of it you've got your own little angel!

I really wish I had the time for an allotment, i suppose if i got my butt of PTS and free competions etc, i would have more time lol!

fabdids
25th June 2008, 22:57
a good place to start to be honest the esioest way to clear your weeds and the most enviro friendly is get a load of old carpet or thick plastic and cover it with it over winter so it breaks down and puts nutrients into soil or maybe do 3/4 of it and just do a little plot for this year. raised beds are great and very child friendly as its easier for them to help with you can start with growing quick stuff like cut nd come again things look at chitting potatoes for winter the best ppl to ask is the pl in surrounding plots though as they know what will grow well there and not good uck though to be honst you've got one that looks in quite good codition there

summer
26th June 2008, 00:14
put weed killer down on it and wait untill it dies of and rotervate it up and cover up with plastic sheets or carpet and leave it untill next spring then rotervate it again and rake and plant the seeds or young plants .it looks as if it will be a good one

Clairog
26th June 2008, 01:06
Congratulations Cat. Me and my mum share an allotment and I absolutely love it. We've had it for just over 2 years and it is fab.
There are a ton of things I would suggest but mainly to tackle one bit at a time. If you think all your going to do it weed for months it will probably get you down (I'm afraid I have no easy answers as you will need to do it all at some point) the best way is definitely carpet or polythene as it does the most of the work for you.
Another suggestion as its too late to get many plants from seed this year is to buy some seedlings of ebay or another good site ishttp://www.organicplants.co.uk/
I've bought a few plants of them this year and was V impressed with the quality and price of the plants.

Saying that you could fling some peas and lettuce, radishes etc in and get some stuff from them as they are pretty fast growing.
The plot looks lovely and I hope it brings you as much joy as it does for us - my 4yr old DD adores it and is pals with all the people in the plot and its very safe for her - she is currently haing a Tallest Sunflower competition with one of our neighbours on the sire :D
Claire :)

cazw
26th June 2008, 08:17
thanks everyone, well once i'v dropped the kids off at school (which is about a 2 min walk from my plot!!) i'll be back down there pulling out the really big weeds and trying to dig out a couple of the beds .... my DH and his parents are going to be spending the day on saturday down there with me aswell so i'm hopeing to have at lease 1 bed ready soon!

tree-top
26th June 2008, 08:51
Fantastic news, there's nothing like fresh veg from your garden. Picked and cooked on the same day. I have just started this year too and i have peas, rhubarb, runner beans, carrots, onions, cabbages, blackcurrants and raspberries. The only problem is i have a flippin mole running amok under the cabbages which are only seedlings and it keeps pushing them up.

Anyone know how to catch a mole?? Please only give me humane suggestions as i couldn't kill a fly :( (well maybe i could kill greenfly lol)

As, for what to plant, there is still time for cabbages, carrots, beetroot and turnips. If you want to start from seed then i suggest going into Wilkinsons as their own brand of seed is cheap and all their seeds are half price at the moment (so you could stock up for next year while they're on offer, I have)

Good luck with the allotment. Have lots of fun :D

Tree xxx

Dolly Daydream
26th June 2008, 09:05
Fantastic news, there's nothing like fresh veg from your garden. Picked and cooked on the same day. I have just started this year too and i have peas, rhubarb, runner beans, carrots, onions, cabbages, blackcurrants and raspberries. The only problem is i have a flippin mole running amok under the cabbages which are only seedlings and it keeps pushing them up.

Anyone know how to catch a mole?? Please only give me humane suggestions as i couldn't kill a fly :( (well maybe i could kill greenfly lol)

As, for what to plant, there is still time for cabbages, carrots, beetroot and turnips. If you want to start from seed then i suggest going into Wilkinsons as their own brand of seed is cheap and all their seeds are half price at the moment (so you could stock up for next year while they're on offer, I have)

Good luck with the allotment. Have lots of fun :D

Tree xxx

There is a humane mole trap as my grandfather uses one, they are so cute, just not great for your plants lol, try a hardware shop or garden centre:D

tree-top
26th June 2008, 09:15
Thanks siani :) Don't suppose you know if they are expensive?
I could see the little blighter digging when i went out to inspect todays damage at 6am but it stopped and went to ground when he heard me getting closer.

arghhhhhhhhhhh!!

I agree they are so cute with lovely velvety fur and cute twitching noses. Far too cute to kill but relocation is essential LOL

Tree xxx

cazw
26th June 2008, 15:25
well, have been up there most of the day and here's the progress!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/mum2astar/my%20allotment/080626.jpg

Caz

pookienoodle
26th June 2008, 20:12
wow thats some progress!
A plot right near the water tap....lucky you.
please keep us updated.
We are on the waiting list for an allotment but we buy spare veg from the people who have them already.

janedoe
24th September 2008, 14:59
My OH has an allotment which he got from someoe that already has 4, where they are there is usually some spares anyway, we have had so far lots of green beans, french beans, tomatoes, cucumber, some rather small and squat carrots, beetroot, parsnips, swede, millions of potatoes, onions esp red ones, corn on the cob, cabbage, the pumpkins, squash, cauliflowers, swede, parsnips and more cabbage are still growing. How's everyone else doing or done this year.

rainbowhope
24th September 2008, 15:07
..........it looks like ~paradise~......CONGRATS!!!!....HAPPY GROWING !!

frexy
24th September 2008, 20:53
My OH has an allotment which he got from someoe that already has 4, where they are there is usually some spares anyway, we have had so far lots of green beans, french beans, tomatoes, cucumber, some rather small and squat carrots, beetroot, parsnips, swede, millions of potatoes, onions esp red ones, corn on the cob, cabbage, the pumpkins, squash, cauliflowers, swede, parsnips and more cabbage are still growing. How's everyone else doing or done this year.

Well the next recipe book will be 101 things to do with tomatoes:D

Been a good year specially the beans, rasps loganberries and tomatoes,beginning to clear things out.
Oh Our first year with apples, not many but they are excellent, specially the Bramley we rescued from the chukkie out bin in Morrisons.

colman
5th January 2009, 15:56
we have just got an allotment too...was only on the waiting list for about 5 months so really pleased. We went to see it yesterday and it needs a lot of weeding as it hasn't been used for ages....Its also very big...is it best to rotivate it as its really weedy or to pull out all of the weeds...??

Mamzie
5th January 2009, 17:29
Will your allotment committee let you cover it, that helps to kill off weeds easier. I often use old carpet on ours, and then plant through.

pookienoodle
7th January 2009, 20:02
Well done Colman,after seeing your post yesterday I put my name on the waiting list at our local council.
the nearest allotments to me have a 10 year waiting list.
the shortest is a 2 year wait,at least I am now on the list and so will get one eventually.
thanks to the poeole on this thread for the inspiration.

colman
8th January 2009, 13:51
have made a list of all the seeds we are going to grow...am putting my plot into 4 as recommended by the book, and then the plots take different families of veg ie onions and roots go together and the brasiccas go together....

Am only growing things that we eat and just see what happens....think i mentioned on another thread my neighbours works for a warehouse that stores fothergills seeds so he is going to get me the seeds so it shouldn't even cost me anything in seeds.

Just lots of exercise turning over the soil so will get fitter aswell!!!

purpleheather2810
8th January 2009, 16:17
Rotivating is quicker and will enable you to get planting, however you will be weeding all the time as you chop all the roots up into a zillion pieces.

Digging properly will remove roots and will leave you with a lot less work to do in the long run, but will take you ages.

My DH rotivated the whole lot in year one and then every year properly digs a certain section - so in the end it will all be properly dug.

Good luck!!!

colman
14th January 2009, 15:50
Decided in the end to weed it and not to rotivate it...the size of the plot is 20 ft x 70 ft...however my neighbour is having half so i am weeding a 10ft x 70ft....Have been down there a total of 11 hours this week weeding and i probly have about another 3 hours digging left...

Have however found lots of brucey bonuses along the way i have 2 carrier bags full of potatoes and parsnips which the previous person didn't dig up...so feel my hard work of digging has paid already...

Also 11 hours of exercise can't be bad either....

msjg
14th January 2009, 15:58
netto have some cheap seeds in, 19p each I think, have used nettos before and grew well.

janedoe
14th January 2009, 16:07
netto have some cheap seeds in, 19p each I think, have used nettos before and grew well.

thanks for that, OH usually tops up his seeds from Wilko's when they have their bogof on but will pop in there and see what they have got. :)

devon1972
15th January 2009, 14:30
good luck m8 .... happy growing ....., just moved in excess of 10 ton of top soil into my back garden and turned it into a giant veggie patch ...... 4-5year waiting list for an allotment ,,,,, ive joined the landshare scheme .... thannx to a link n the river cottage website .... so fingers crossed .......

devon1972
15th January 2009, 14:31
can u keep chickens on your allotment ????

colman
15th January 2009, 14:33
not sure if you can or not i know some allow them, however we have ours in the garden....

10 ton of top soil OMG thats some digging!!!

Can't wait for the warmer weather...am saving my loo roll holders to plant the seeds in as they then bio degrade down...Have been on our allotment waiting list for about 5 months so couldn't believe it when i got the call a few weeks ago...

devon1972
15th January 2009, 14:34
nightmare .... my back is killing me ,,,, blisters to die for ... !!!

devon1972
15th January 2009, 14:35
seed pots arrived yesterday from dobies..... got sme intresting blue ones....

janedoe
16th January 2009, 21:00
At our allotments, you need permission to put up a greenhouse but OH got his up before they agreed this at the committee meeting but they have said he can put some bee hives on there for the honey, I wish we could have some chickens our garden is too small to have them but then the commitment to go to the allotment every day is a big one as OH is the one that does all of the work down there and over the winter he goes a few days a week and in the summer he spends at least 3/4 late afternoon/evenings a week plus either all day Sat/Sun depending on his hobbies.

colman
16th January 2009, 21:06
Have been busy organising my plots today, this site is really useful...http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=1

Am going to be growing seeds in home made paper pots too

colman
9th March 2009, 18:45
hows everyones allotments going...have got my parsnips and leeks under way in the cold frame...anyone else got anything planted yet?

tiger
9th March 2009, 18:50
I've got my broad beans started in paper pots. I started them in a cold greenhouse last year and mice ate them so they are in the house at the moment. I'm going to make sure they are hardened off before planting out.
I've also started some cabbage, broccoli and sweet peppers.
I really need to get some more work done outside but it's so cold and windy at the moment.

colman
9th March 2009, 19:06
have got my beans in but under bottles to keep them warm!!!
AM getting very excited about planting things...
Brussells have just started to come through too, got them in the conservatory...

tiger
9th March 2009, 19:14
Good idea about the bottles. I'll do that when I put mine out. I made the paper pots from that link you posted, Colman.
How have you sown your parsnips? I saw somewhere about chitting them first on wet tissue as they are difficult to germinate.

Scrungee
10th March 2009, 10:14
hows everyones allotments going...have got my parsnips and leeks under way in the cold frame...anyone else got anything planted yet?

As I've got (cold/wet) clay soil I don't bother planting any seeds direct until April, and that's after I've had some polythene over the seedbed warming it up/keeping heavy rain off.

So only garlic and shallots planted out to date.

Due to the high cost off Propane gas these days, the greenhouse heating doesn't go on until mid-March (OMG better getter it cleared out!), but I've loads of coldframes made from pallet timber and either get seeds germinating sown in cellular trays in the greenhouse and move out into the frames ASAP to free up space or sow them in cell trays/guttering in the frames for planting out when they're nicely established and grow much better than seeds sown directly in a cold, wet spring.

Charlotte early potatoes (in potato bags) get started in the cold frames today as do my dahlia tubers (in pots). Onion setts go in tomorrow/day after.

crispy
10th March 2009, 12:20
colman
You are supposed to just digg it and weed it first and then you can rotivate it (if you have one). The rotivating bit will make the soil nice and fine so it will be easier to dig and the plants will have a better chance to grow.

I have had my alottment second year now. Last year was the try and see what happens year. Was very please though as everything I planted grow! Magic fingers?
One good thing is that this year I am putting my seeeds in the toilet paper rolls ( tip from a neighborough), so you don`t have to weed it so much and there is a better chance of the plant survaving.
I have just finnished digging mine, back is killing me now.
Have fun with yours.

tiger
10th March 2009, 12:25
Anyone tried lasagna gardening?
I've dug my veg patch but wondered about trying the lasagna method for future beds.

colman
10th March 2009, 14:43
Good idea about the bottles. I'll do that when I put mine out. I made the paper pots from that link you posted, Colman.
How have you sown your parsnips? I saw somewhere about chitting them first on wet tissue as they are difficult to germinate.

yeah i had read about that tiger but started them off in loo rolls in the propagator...and they have all germinated which i was really pleased about...

I dug the whole thing over in the end its taken me nearly 2 months to get it all done but now its all done sectioned off and bean posts up etc...looks fab...

Have looked at lasagne gardening but not tried it tiger..