PDA

View Full Version : Gardening with Children

princess_poppet
13th February 2007, 16:22
Hi all

I wanted to do a little Veggie patch / allotment in our garden, that i can do with my children as an learning and family thing plus it would be nice to grow our own veg and plants.

I am waiting for that kim wilde Gardening with children to come out in March but is there anything i can do in the meantime.

I am an complete novice at gardening so any help or tips about what to do for preperation would be great or how or where to start

I know there are loads of ppl on here with children so some other might like some ideas too

tiger
13th February 2007, 16:32
When I was a child, my sisters and brother and I had our own little patches of garden to look after. We grew whatever we wanted in them, either flowers or fruit or veg or a mixture.
I couldn't do that for my children as the garden is very awkward with being on a steep hill, but they had various large planters to grow things in and enjoyed it.

If you want to start preparing now, baffled has post how to prepare the soil on this thread

http://www.paidtoshop.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3883&page=2

princess_poppet
13th February 2007, 19:59
Cheers Tiger X

ohsobusy
14th February 2007, 16:08
I'm hoping my four will all come and get involved with the gardening this year. I just want the rain to let up so I can dig my veg plot. I'm also going to get them to grow sunflowers and see how tall they get.

clockwatcher
14th February 2007, 18:36
I am waiting for that kim wilde Gardening with children to come out in March but is there anything i can do in the meantime.

Is that a DVD that's coming out? I've got the book, not that I'm likely to use it!

princess_poppet
14th February 2007, 19:41
Is that a DVD that's coming out? I've got the book, not that I'm likely to use it!

No the Book. Have you got the book?? Where did u get that from? I looked on amazon and that for the book but it says not released till march. :confused:

It s that one i particular wanted as i have heard such good things about it

tiger
26th March 2007, 13:22
I notice that Thompson & Morgan (http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/) have a bargain seed section in their online catalogue.
There is a shipping charge, but some varieties are as low as 49p so probably worth taking a look at.

It's probably worth getting together with friends or family when ordering seeds as usually there are more seeds than are needed. You could share the packets and split the cost.

clockwatcher
26th March 2007, 13:57
Aldi are getting strawberry plants in this week - 2.99 for a pack of 6.

princess_poppet
26th March 2007, 14:51
Moo now is a good time to buy your pumpkin seeds and start to sew them in pots etc.... What could be more exciting for kids to grow there own pumpkins in pots for halloween. Packet pumpkin seeds about 2.

cheers Floosy i have got some seeds as had exactly the same idea but not potted them yet. Thank you for remindng me. Something to do with them half term! :clap2:

ayjayays
26th March 2007, 16:51
a cheap way of buying sunflower seeds is in a pet shop-parrot mix,different types in it,some small some large,birds will eat what you dont use,also garden centres do childrens packet seeds,usually about 50p up .as do supermarkets tesco etc.
sweet peas are good,easy ,as well as peas,broad/runner/french beans,peas are usually eaten before they get to the pot!,even potatoes can be grown in a large tub,radish/carrot another easy one,

Grace & Favour
26th March 2007, 19:09
I always encouraged our kids to help with the gardening . .

preparing the soil, sowing, trimming the lawn edges - even trenching (but they wouldn't lie down long enough!!!!!)

Gizmos
26th March 2007, 19:12
I always encouraged our kids to help with the gardening . .

preparing the soil, sowing, trimming the lawn edges - even trenching (but they wouldn't lie down long enough!!!!!)

my dad had allotment and we had our own area to look after - however we would also hoe, weed, build fires, make mud pies

always got the job of trimming the lawn edges whilst sister got to use the lawn mower - apparently it was because I was the shortest :confused:

princess_poppet
26th March 2007, 19:14
yea mine have loved what we have done so far and its nice that they can see something growing and known they have contributed towards it

M3chanical_animal
26th March 2007, 20:15
OH's parent have got a massive garden and grow all their own stuff - we get loads of it each time we go up - tis yummy :) Already planning the lay out of ours for when we get a garden! :)