PDA

View Full Version : Zero waste

tiger
11th July 2008, 22:28
Recycling in one town in Japan

BBC - Zero waste (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7499954.stm)

tyroleandancer
11th July 2008, 22:29
Recycling in one town in Japan

BBC - Zero waste (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7499954.stm)

Just watched it
I wish we could recycle tetra packs

tiger
11th July 2008, 22:42
Just watched it

Our council does

jamsandwhich
11th July 2008, 22:55
There is a town in Texas which collects and takes all of the town waste to a central processing plant where it is sorted, cleaned, and recycled. Surely this is a better process than everyone who recycles driving round using fuel to distribute all of their waste to two or three different places?

Where I live there is no one place where you can take general household recycling to one place - you have to split it between two locations and our council does not collect plastic which is the biggest part of our household recycling!

The other option we have is the local tip - they have different containers for old paint, furniture, wood, rubble, plastics, ink cartridges etc but it is a bit of a planned trip! very good though - they allow people to take bags and fill up with compost foc and they have an info board at the exit with information on how much of the materials have been recycled and where. It is usually 80-90% of stuff taken in which is recycled.

mutley muppet
11th July 2008, 23:55
Just watched it

See here for an earlier thread with a tetra pack recycling locator:
http://www.paidtoshop.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33460

I couldn't hear the sound on that clip, but like the look of what they are doing in this area of Japan. I hate throwing anything away.

I had a man knock on my door the other day offering a fortnightly bin cleaning service. I looked in my bin and there wasnt much in it, lol, so I told him thanks but no thanks. :)
MM x

tyroleandancer
12th July 2008, 12:36
See here for an earlier thread with a tetra pack recycling locator:
http://www.paidtoshop.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33460

I couldn't hear the sound on that clip, but like the look of what they are doing in this area of Japan. I hate throwing anything away.

I had a man knock on my door the other day offering a fortnightly bin cleaning service. I looked in my bin and there wasnt much in it, lol, so I told him thanks but no thanks. :)
MM x

It was covered on the news last night

thanks for the link :)

ohsobusy
14th July 2008, 20:08
Thanks Tiger for that link. What a great example they're setting.

There is such furore at the moment becasue some councils have gone over to fortnightly black bin collections and I can't believe how some of the newspapers are slating these councils who have tried to do something about waste. In Waveney (Suffolk) we have three wheelie bin collections. One week they will take black bin waste (this is anything that can't be composted or recycled) and the following week is blue bin and green bin collections. In our blue bin we put all recyclables except bottles and clothes and in the green bin is food waste and garden waste. We have compostable bags to put all our food waste and this includes virtually any food waste except oil and liquids.

We are a family of 6 and our black bin is now less that a third full when it is collected every fortnight. I would love to have zero waste in my black bin. But we are going in the right direction.

mutley muppet
14th July 2008, 20:34
We've had fortnightly black bin "rubbish" collections for ages now, and we have food waste/ cardboard brown bins, & black boxes for paper, glass etc that are colected weekly. Works great for me, just wish they would collect plastic bottles & teta packs too, but i just save them up & take them to the recycling at Tesco.
I would love to achieve zero waste and the amount packaging on products does influence what I buy nowadays.
MM x

Mamzie
14th July 2008, 22:54
thanks for that link MM, I missed the map first time round.

Great story Tiger.

maleficent_mum
14th July 2008, 23:17
I have just this evening finished a Health & Safety Course on Environmental Issues in the workplace, I hadn't realise that as a small business, we could do so much, hopefully without spending any extra (helps sell it to the bosses if it doesn't cost too much).
I shall certainly have a look at the article, I'm all fired up now and it might give me some more ideas.:) Thanks for the link.