PDA

View Full Version : Use for Airmiles

where2save
12th July 2008, 15:32
I took advantage of the LLoyds TSB Airmiles Duo offer:
http://www.airmiles.co.uk/collect/partner.do?partner=Lloyds+TSB+Airmiles+Duo&from=collectlist

I now have the 1,500 bonus miles to use up by the end of next March and I'm not that familiar with using Airmiles and getting good value from them. The advert quotes the example of using this for 2 free return flights to Zone 1 (UK, Paris and Amsterdam).

Is there a better use for these miles, also bearing in mind I need to book at least one night accommodation to use the offer? For this I don't mind booking a cheap place for one night and not using the hotel.

I don't need to book flights for two people - even thought I'll be travelling with someone else as I'm happy to sort out the second flight independently of Airmiles.

Raffles
12th July 2008, 21:20
You can book a flight for 1 person with this offer, so it gets you further - ie Zone 2.

However .... because AM is paying all the taxes and fuel surcharges now, you'll probably save more money by booking 2 flights to Amsterdam than, say, 1 flight to Rome. But obviously it depends where you want to go!

Here is a handy hint. According to a post at Flyertalk, they will let you book your hotel night in a different city to the one you're flying to. This is useful if you don't want the Air Miles hotel option because you want to stay in a different hotel / with a friend / use some hotel frequent stayer points etc. So, for example, if you are flying to Barcelona and the cheapest hotel was, say, 100 and the cheapest in Alicante was, say, 40, you can tell Air Miles that you are buying your own connection to Alicante after meeting a friend in Barcelona and they will book you the 40 hotel there. Which you obviously don't bother turning up for.

where2save
12th July 2008, 21:31
Raffles, thanks for the reply.

I actually think I can take the hotel trick a step further. I was trying to find the cheapest hotel for one night seeing as I wouldn't be using it. I tried return flights to Amsterdam together with a night in Bangkok on the first night (8)! I didn't get to the final confirmation page as I didn't want to book yet but I think it may work.

kimij
15th July 2008, 17:57
Do u mean that it is cheaper to book flights with a hotel rather than to just book flight only?

Raffles
15th July 2008, 21:48
No. What we mean is:

When you get the Air Miles credit card, you get 1500 Air Miles. However, these miles have a special condition attached to them which do not apply to normal Air Miles - you can only spend them if you book 1 nights hotel accommodation through Air Miles at the same time.

Khufu
15th July 2008, 21:58
Ooh very interesting - I did the same offer. Okay follow on question - is it cheaper for me to pay for airmiles to get flights for DD1 age 11 and DD2 age 7 and use free flights to Paris for DH and me, or should I just spend loads on credit card/use ebay link to get enough miles (I need another 1500 right?)

Raffles
16th July 2008, 10:14
Why doesn't your husband apply for his own Air Miles credit card as well? You'll then have 2 lots of 1500 miles so 4 people can travel.

If you stay for 2 nights, you book your compulsory hotel night for the first night and hubby books his compulsory hotel night for the 2nd night (same hotel).