PDA

View Full Version : Buyer asking me to end early?

Littlemissjojo
20th July 2008, 16:39
Have got something on ebay at the mo, ends on Tues, bids going well and currently 27 people watching! Have had question from potential buyer asking if I would end early as she wants it quickly, & also commenting that p&p was too high. Now, I have listed special (next day) delivery as that is insured up to 500, & am hoping for around 70-80 for the item.

I have replied saying thanks for interest, but people have already bid, and there are lots watching, so will let auction run, and also explained why p&p is what it is. Do you think that is ok? Or should I have considered ending early? :confused: Dont often sell anything of any great value, so not had this before!

addictedtosaving
20th July 2008, 16:42
I think you have done the right thing. As there are so many people interested I would definitely leave the auction to run until the end. I used to feel obliged to end auctions early because I was asked if I would but soon learned to say no if I wanted to.

mhoc
20th July 2008, 16:43
Now you just have to hope that she now thinks she can wait until Tuesday, puts a bid in on Tuesday and wins it, and then leaves nasty feedback about too high p and p and bad communication :D

Polo
20th July 2008, 16:46
Definately done the right thing, I've ended an auction early, and really wished I hadn't, was pleased with the price I got for it, but part of me wonders if the bidding would have gone higher....And the guy definately wanted it, drove over night from Glasgow to East Anglia to collect it, slept in his car!

Littlemissjojo
20th July 2008, 16:46
Now you just have to hope that she now thinks she can wait until Tuesday, puts a bid in on Tuesday and wins it, and then leaves nasty feedback about too high p and p and bad communication :D

aaaghhhh!!! Nooooooo!!!!! Dont say that!!

SUSIEQ
20th July 2008, 16:51
I agree - you've done the right thing. I was selling something recently and a buyer asked me to end early, despite there being other bidders and lots of watchers. But it was a big CRT TV that we had already sold once, gone to dispute over as the buyer never paid or showed up. So we'd relisted it. Anyway, you cannot amend the listing to add BIN once there are bids. I found out that it is actually quite hard to end at this stage - nearly gave me heart failure thinking it wouldn't work.

There are too many bandits out there, and by the sounds of it, you will get a good price anyway.

Good luck

susieq

PipkinSam
20th July 2008, 17:08
I think you did the right thing. Peace of mind is worth far more than a definite sale. I would have done the same thing.

xx

Darkangel709
20th July 2008, 17:15
Dont worry about it hun you did the right thing by sending an email stating as you had bids on the item you will let it run. If they really want the item then they will wait. Its not fair on the other bidders if you end it early and you will never know if you would have reached a higher amount for what you are selling. Hang in there and if the buyer gets stroppy then its there look out not yours. Your the one incontrol not them. As for negative feed back for postage etc at least you can justify the amount of p n p and have done in the email that you sent to them which i would keep just incase anything untowards happens. Good luck hun with the auction xxx and stick to your guns xxx

Pearls
20th July 2008, 17:24
Deffo the right thing. I've been offered "a good price" to end an auction several times - have always said no and so far everything has always gone for more than the "great" price I was offered.

angelic
20th July 2008, 17:25
I agree you have done right, I have never ended an auction early and have always invited the enquirer to place their offer as a bid.....funny they have never done so and the price has always way exceeded their offer...mmm!
Most peeps who ask a seller to end early do so as they want a bargain ;)

As for P+P, if value is over 36 you are quite right to only send by Special Delivery so it is trackable and insured to value in case of a problem.
Some buyers forget that it is the seller who sets the T&C and it is up to the potential bidder whether they wish to bid agreeing to the T&C ;)

Good luck with your auction and hope it gioes really well for you :)

Littlemissjojo
20th July 2008, 17:37
Thanks all, makes me feel better!

The cost I have listed for P&P is the actual exact cost charged by the RM for spec del, I have not even added any extra on for packaging etc! So I dont see how anyone can complain!!

Will let it run & look forward to Tuesday when it ends!

davidgh
20th July 2008, 17:44
Hello just to add another aspect.
You probably know ebay staff can see all eBay communications.
If the bidder you mention wins item and then gives negative feedback you can under new system, appeal to eBay drawing attention to their efforts to pressure you to end early etc. If appeal won, negative would be removed by eBay.
Good luck for Tuesday and I trust you will be happy with whichever home your item goes to!

Silvertop
20th July 2008, 21:24
I had a similar experience a while back. I was selling a Spurs shirt, had no idea of the value. Had a guy offer me what I thought was quite a lot as he said he wanted that particular design. As there were bids already on the shirt, I thanked him but said I had to let it run. I also wished him well with his bidding.

It turned out he won it anyway. His original offer was 40, the final bid was 94. A bit of a difference!!

Some people try it on to get the item at a real bargain price.

Darkangel709
24th July 2008, 15:48
Has the auction ended yet and did you get a better price than what you was offered to end it early?? xxx

SUSIEQ
24th July 2008, 16:14
Ooooh yes, Darkangel, good question... do tell :)

Mamzie
24th July 2008, 16:22
defo want to know here as well

Littlemissjojo
24th July 2008, 17:17
Yes, it ended Tuesday, and I got more than had been offered by those who asked me to end early! And none of them won it!

So lesson learnt there - dont be tempted to end early!

Darkangel709
24th July 2008, 17:44
Well done xxx

angelic
24th July 2008, 19:33
Woohoo, well done :clap2:

cyberbob1uk
24th July 2008, 19:36
Yes, it ended Tuesday, and I got more than had been offered by those who asked me to end early! And none of them won it!

So lesson learnt there - dont be tempted to end early!

Its always easy to disragrd the rules of ebay and take an offer before the auction ends. The best way is to wait till the end which you did.

Sometimes you lose, many times you win.

Well done

:clap2:

SUSIEQ
24th July 2008, 19:54
:whoo: :clap2:
Well done!

susieq x