PDA

View Full Version : Help - Item Returned!

Ladyshopper
30th July 2008, 19:06
Sold 3 lots of food show coupons about 10 days ago. Same buyer bought all 3, little slow to pay, but sent out recorded delivery when I had received payment.

Just got home from work to find the parcel back through my door with a note on it to say "not picked up".

I did send the buyer a message a few days ago asking if there was a problem, as they hadn't left any feedback, but had no response.

What do I do now?

Don't use ebay that often, so not a clue!!

holliemon
30th July 2008, 19:13
I would send him an email asking him to get in touch. Maybe he has gone on holiday or had to go away urgently.

I would leave it up to him to get in touch then

Ladyshopper
30th July 2008, 19:17
What if they put in a dispute thingy? Should I return money or wait and see what happens?

holliemon
30th July 2008, 19:19
Sorry I dont know I have only ebayed once. I wouldn't return the money until you have been in touch with him. He might still want the coupons. After all he did buy them, you sent them its not your fault he did not pick them up from the PO.

snakebite99
30th July 2008, 19:20
ide wait and see what happens as hollie says they may be away

Ladyshopper
30th July 2008, 19:20
It was the only 3 sets of food show ones I sold, and I wish I hadn't bothered now!

ange01
30th July 2008, 19:32
LS - from experience if they log an issue through ebay you will be contacted pronto.

I've had to do it a couple of times as a seller and things got sorted really quickly.

Hold back on issuing any refund!

Hope your enjoying the sunshire in the lovely Shire today :)

A xx

Ladyshopper
30th July 2008, 19:35
LS - from experience if they log an issue through ebay you will be contacted pronto.

I've had to do it a couple of times as a seller and things got sorted really quickly.

Hold back on issuing any refund!

Hope your enjoying the sunshire in the lovely Shire today :)

A xx

I'll sit and wait then! What is the max amount of time they have to raise a dispute?

Couldn't enjoy the sun at work, had to make do with if through the window instead. 4 more days then off for 5 weeks, hoorah!! :D

welshgirl78
30th July 2008, 21:01
I was once the buyer who didn't collect an item from the Post Office :o:o:o

The seller emailed me to tell me what happened and sent them normal post (which was much better for me!) If the value of the coupons isn't too high I would suggest doing the same - possibly email to tell them that unless you hear back within 5 days this is what you will do?

HTH

Tuckerpoo
30th July 2008, 21:34
As you sent them recorded delivery, if a dispute is raised, you can prove that the item was sent but not collected. Not your problem. Contact the buyer and ask for the Postage cost again and only when you have received this, should you post them out again.

30th July 2008, 21:40
I would also be reluctant to send out again by normal post - as they could say they had not received them and you would be obliged to refund them if this happened.

Tuckerpoo
30th July 2008, 21:42
I would also be reluctant to send out again by normal post - as they could say they had not received them and you would be obliged to refund them if this happened.

Yes I totally agree, send recorded delivery again, meant to add that:)

el4ine
30th July 2008, 21:43
i'd hold fire and wait for them to contact you and if they want it re sending make sure they pay the ammount of p+p 1st and if a refund i wouldnt refund p+p

Ladyshopper
30th July 2008, 21:44
As you sent them recorded delivery, if a dispute is raised, you can prove that the item was sent but not collected. Not your problem. Contact the buyer and ask for the Postage cost again and only when you have received this, should you post them out again.

I definitely wouldn't send out again unless they paid for postage again, and would do it recorded again so I had trackable means.

sammybear
30th July 2008, 22:30
they could of died? or took ill ?

i didnt say that !! shouldnt think it, but it happens :(

holliemon
31st July 2008, 09:24
they could of died? or took ill ?

i didnt say that !! shouldnt think it, but it happens :(

I thought that too but did not dare say it !!!:behindsofa:

angelic
31st July 2008, 10:32
It is possible the postie didn't put a note through your buyer's door so they didn't know the item was awaiting collection.

Check to see if your buyer has been active on Ebay since winning your items. This is a good indication as to whether or not they may have a problem.

Recorded and Special Delivery items are only held so long at the Sorting Office and then are returned to sender, provided the sender's addy is on the packet.

It is up to your buyer to pay postage again to receive the item. I would send an e-mail explaining what has happened and await their response.
As others have said, as you sent via RD, you have a tracking number which will show delivery was attempted.

Ladyshopper
31st July 2008, 13:06
You're a morbid lot thinking they might be dead!!

I will do some checks later to see if they've been active on ebay. I find it odd that they didn't respond to my message asking if there was a problem as no feedback been left, but will send another message to them.

Thanks for everyones advice.

Ladyshopper
31st July 2008, 20:30
Right, sent her a message. Checked her feedback, last one on there was 11th July, and she bought my item on 13th. Did take her 2-3 days to pay, but once she did I sent it out recorded.

Is there a way of checking when she last logged on to ebay?

sandhabibi
31st July 2008, 21:42
Ls I'm interested to know what date you sent item and when you received it back??

Ladyshopper
31st July 2008, 22:33
Ls I'm interested to know what date you sent item and when you received it back??

Posted out on 15th July and received back at home yesterday.

mutley muppet
31st July 2008, 23:17
I think po sorting office only holds recorded items for one week then they are returned to sender.
I once lost an item because postie didnt put a card through my door and when i chased it up, the item had been returned to sender within 7 days.
mm x

angelic
1st August 2008, 10:28
Is there a way of checking when she last logged on to ebay?

To check her recent (if any) activity on Ebay, go to Advanced Search, then search by Bidder and click to include Completed Items.
This should bring up any bids placed by your buyer in the past 30days. You could also do the same, but search by Seller just in case she has listed any items, could be she just buys though.
Apart from that, just check any feedback she has left for others.

Unfortunately, you can't check to see if she has just been on to browse - hope this helps :)

Ladyshopper
3rd August 2008, 22:03
Arghhh, received a message back today, she reckons she had no card from post office and was waiting for delivery. She has asked me to post out normal post to her so I am "saved the expense" of posting recorded again.

Doesn't explain why she didn't answer my first message I sent a while back asking if there was a problem as she hadn't left feedback. What do I do? :confused:

ange01
3rd August 2008, 22:06
LS,
I would ask that she sends you a SAE so you dont have to pay anything else.

Enjoy you 5 weeks off!!!!:D

A xx

Gizmos
3rd August 2008, 22:06
err I would make her pay for recorded again and say that its not your fault

Ladyshopper
3rd August 2008, 22:20
err I would make her pay for recorded again and say that its not your fault

Thats what I was thinking, just wonder how she'd take it?

She only has around 65 feedback, and I only have 50. Really don't want a neg for something thats not my fault, and if I send normal post she could easily claim she hasn't received.

Tuckerpoo
3rd August 2008, 22:44
Definitely ask for recorded delivery cost. You can prove that the delivery was attempted. If, and it is a big if, she didn't get your card that is not your fault and you shouldn't have to pay for postage she should. If she leaves negative feedback then you can ask eBay to intervene. You can also leave a comment in response to it. Everybody gets negative feedback at some point. It's not the end of the world hun, people who have lots of neg,yes but just one, don't sweat on it.:D

angelic
4th August 2008, 09:59
I agree with Tucker and Giz, only post Recorded Delivery as you need proof of delivery in case the buyer claims non-delivery again.

I would explain that PayPal require sellers to send via trackable post when payment is made via PP so both seller and buyer are protected under PP policy.
Good luck and hope all goes well :)

Freebird
5th August 2008, 15:41
I'm having the same problem. Buyer keeps emailing to say she hasn't received a card through the door. I even offered to split the postage cost with her, but she's ignoring that bit and just telling me the address to send it to.

Sigh....I can see I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and pay it or take a neg. The joys of being an ebay seller. :rolleyes:

Ladyshopper
5th August 2008, 16:32
I sent her a message yesterday explaining I would only send it recorded and she would need to pay postage again of 2.66 which is what it cost to send.

Not had a reponse. :(

Freebird
5th August 2008, 17:04
I've had a response.....send it again for free or get a neg.

This on top of the neg I've been promised from a very nasty non-paying bidder is making me wonder if ebay is still worth the effort. It's not exactly fair anymore! :mad:

Ladyshopper
5th August 2008, 17:44

This on top of the neg I've been promised from a very nasty non-paying bidder is making me wonder if ebay is still worth the effort. It's not exactly fair anymore! :mad:

Oh no, thats dreadful. Know what you mean about ebay, my feeback is only 50 after around 2 years of use because I can't be bothered, and it seems more hassle to list stuff so I don't generally bother.

Really wish I hadn't listed these coupons now, they were only some of the lower value ones from food show, as I used all high value ones.

Have also told her she's got til Friday to reply, as I'm away from then.

Freebird
5th August 2008, 17:54
Definitely ask for recorded delivery cost. You can prove that the delivery was attempted. If, and it is a big if, she didn't get your card that is not your fault and you shouldn't have to pay for postage she should. If she leaves negative feedback then you can ask eBay to intervene. You can also leave a comment in response to it. Everybody gets negative feedback at some point. It's not the end of the world hun, people who have lots of neg,yes but just one, don't sweat on it.:D

You're so right......:rolleyes:

Note to self....don't sweat the small stuff. :)

Aspal
5th August 2008, 18:07
I had something similar - sent extra points coupon recorded delivery at buyers request, she told me after couple weeks that she hadn't had it, then emailed me to say it was still at the sorting office. I assumed this was the end of it, but no, she didn't collect it and it was sent to the national returns centre. She left it another couple of weeks before opening a dispute!! By this time, the voucher had run out of date, so I just had to issue a refund. It was too late to reclaim my ebay fees, and I was out of pocket with the postage too. I haven't ebayed since!!

Gizmos
5th August 2008, 18:13
dont suppose you could both be talking about the same buyer??

Ladyshopper
5th August 2008, 18:26
dont suppose you could both be talking about the same buyer??

That would be funny - not!!

First 2 letters of username of mine are ca. If yours are the same then pm me the rest!!

Freebird
5th August 2008, 19:14
That would be funny - not!!

First 2 letters of username of mine are ca. If yours are the same then pm me the rest!!

Teeheee - can you imagine? But no, if wasn't. I got tough and emailed her that as stated before, I'd split the cost of posting again otherwise she could blimmin well do her worst. Ok....I didn't put it quite like that....:)

Gizmos
5th August 2008, 19:16
was just a thought twas all

Ladyshopper
5th August 2008, 19:24
Think some of the coupons I sold run out at end of month.

Should I just offer to refund less the original post and packing, would that be easier option?

What happens if she doesn't get back to me before I go away, as have no internet access at my mums and there for 9 days, then off to Florida straight afterwards?

angelic
5th August 2008, 20:50

Good news is you can report your buyer for threatening to neg you as it is not permitted to do so -
http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/feedback-extortion.html

You will need to forward the details to Ebay if they request it. If the threat was sent via Ebay Messages, Ebay will be able to see it ;)

What a nasty person :mad: Hopefully she will get her just desserts ;)
If she does dare to neg you, put a calm and factual response along the lines of...
Sent xx (insert date) Returned by RM xx (insert date). Buyer refused to pay postage to re-send.

angelic
5th August 2008, 21:00
Think some of the coupons I sold run out at end of month.

Should I just offer to refund less the original post and packing, would that be easier option?

What happens if she doesn't get back to me before I go away, as have no internet access at my mums and there for 9 days, then off to Florida straight afterwards?

You could pull your buyer's details and phone her, but be aware that if you do, she will get yours at same time.
If you choose this option, might be worth changing your registered phone number to your mobile, change it back once it is sorted ;)

Due to your circumstances, it might be an easier option to refund her, but refund her in full so she can't dispute the P+P not being refunded while you are away.

If you were to leave it, she could file a PayPal dispute. PayPal require a response from the seller within 10 days which would be impossible for you with no internet access.

Otherwise, do you have a good friend or family member you could trust with your Ebay and PayPal log in details who would deal with it on your behalf?
I have helped a friend in this way before, but it is a case of how comfortable you would be doing so.

I am sure you are really looking forward to your holiday and so don't need this hassle!

Ladyshopper
5th August 2008, 23:06
You could pull your buyer's details and phone her, but be aware that if you do, she will get yours at same time.
If you choose this option, might be worth changing your registered phone number to your mobile, change it back once it is sorted ;)

Due to your circumstances, it might be an easier option to refund her, but refund her in full so she can't dispute the P+P not being refunded while you are away.

If you were to leave it, she could file a PayPal dispute. PayPal require a response from the seller within 10 days which would be impossible for you with no internet access.

Otherwise, do you have a good friend or family member you could trust with your Ebay and PayPal log in details who would deal with it on your behalf?
I have helped a friend in this way before, but it is a case of how comfortable you would be doing so.

I am sure you are really looking forward to your holiday and so don't need this hassle!

Thanks for all your help, I've repped you.

As you can probably tell, I'm not an experienced ebay seller and have never taken part in a dispute before.

Having look at what I sold, I believe some of the coupons ran out 31st July, so are now out of date (but would have got to her with half the month left if she'd been in or picked them up!).

So if I refund, I'm out of pocket for the p&p, the ebay fee's, and can't even make use of the coupons because they're out of date?

If I left it and filed a dispute what would happen? I've still got the recorded delivery slip, and when I looked it up yesterday on track and trace it said returned to sender. Obviously its stamped with the date I sent it on, and it then came back to me 15 days later.

Ladyshopper
5th August 2008, 23:12
Srub the last bit, all coupons in date until at least end of August! Just been and checked listing.

Other questions still apply though!

Tuckerpoo
5th August 2008, 23:34
You have done everything you can to resolve this and she is the one who didn't pick up the item. As Angelic says it really depends on how much this is stressing you? It might be worth contacting her again and telling her that you are going away and if she hasn't responded in a couple of days you will refund her payment minus the P&P.

angelic
6th August 2008, 22:16
Had a thought....maybe you buyer is on holiday and hasn't received your message if he/she doesn't have internet access?

Check to see if your buyer has been active on Ebay since the parcel was returned -
Go to Advanced Search - Search by Bidder and input buyer's ID
It will show any bids placed / items won in last 30 days.
Also look to see if your buyer has left feedback recently.
If no activity, this could point to the buyer being away or not having internet access.

I would do as Tucker suggested and send another message saying you won't have internet access from xx (date a day or so before you go away) - xx (date you return) and wish to sort out the problem asap.
I wouldn't say you are going away (don't forget buyer has your address ;)), just say you won't have internet access, a bit safer ;)

If you decide to refund, do so via the original transaction page in your PayPal account.
That way you will be refunded the PayPal fees paid to receive the payment.

You can then open an Unpaid Item Dispute with Ebay - shout if you need the link.
Although the buyer did pay, you have to follow this procedure in order to claim a refund of the Final Value Fees paid on the sale.
Click the option which says you have refunded your buyer.
In the message part, put a note explaining what happened and give the Recorded Delivery number (this will show package was returned to you) as proof.
Also note that you have refunded because you won't have internet access from xx to xx.

I think that answers everything, if I have missed anything, just ask and one of us will be about to help :)

Ladyshopper
6th August 2008, 23:31
Well, I had a message this morning saying she would pay postage again and to let her know how much, so sent message back.

Nothing paid so far, just hope she does it by Friday.

angelic
7th August 2008, 11:07
Good to know your buyer has been in contact and seems happy to pay postage again.
Fingers crossed you get thsi sorted before your hols :)

Ladyshopper
8th August 2008, 21:59
Should have known it was too good to me true, no sign of any payment yet and I go away tomorrow. :(

Have asked a good friend on here to check my ebay and paypal account each day (thanks ange01, did you get the email?) :love:, and have packed the parcel to take with me to my mothers in the hope she pays and I can post off.

If she doesn't do it before I go to Florida then goodness knows what I'll do.

angelic
9th August 2008, 12:37
Sorry your situation is still not resolved LS :(

Great you have someone to help check your accounts in your absence, at least you will have peace of mind knowing what is happening f she does suddenly decide to pay.

I would give her another few days, then refund her and send a message explaining you can't hold on any longer.
Your friend can then open the Unpaid Item form (see one of my earlier posts) and go through the procedure for you so you at least get your Final Value fees back.

In doing this, you at least prevent the buyer opening a Not Received dispute with PayPal which would possibly result in her getting a refund that way ;)

I hope you have a lovely holiday :)