PDA

View Full Version : Help - Very Confused Over Email Recieved From eBay

amandaj67
30th July 2008, 21:14
Just got this email & am really confused as ive never had one like this before & i dont really know what to do

MC098 FIB NOTICE: Suspicious Bidder Alert

Dear ******* (****** *****)

Our records show that member ******** recently won one of your items. We'd like to let you know that eBay has cancelled all this member's bids due to issues relating to their account.

As the buyer is no longer a registered user, you are no longer obliged to complete the sale. We recommend that you don't post the item or respond to further emails from the buyer.

If someone asks you to continue with the sale outside of the eBay platform, we strongly recommend you ignore the request. Transactions completed outside of eBay aren't protected by our Feedback system.

Here's what you should do now:

If you have already posted the item, we suggest you take steps to confirm the payment went through and try to stop postage:

1) Check whether the payment went through
2) Stop postage if possible
3) File an Unpaid Item dispute to get a Final Value Fee credit

- Check whether the payment went through

If the buyer already sent payment, we recommend you contact the company that was used to send/receive payment to verify whether or not the funds have cleared. If you find that the payment funds are fraudulent, contact your local police as soon as possible. Retain any emails you exchanged with the buyer as the police may need them in order to investigate further. eBay will gladly help the police with their investigations if needed.

- Stop postage if possible

The postal carrier may be able to stop the delivery. Check their website or return to the post office for further information.

If you sent your package via Royal Mail, you may be able to file a mail fraud complaint. For more information, copy this link into a new browser window:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump3?catId=400144&mediaId=15500181

- File an Unpaid Item dispute to get a Final Value Fee credit

If you didn't receive payment for this item, please file an Unpaid Item dispute in My eBay. When the dispute is processed successfully, your buyer will receive an Unpaid Item strike and you'll receive a Final Value Fee credit.

For more detailed information on Unpaid Item disputes, please copy this link into a new browser window:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/tp/unpaid-item-process.html

For additional information about buying and selling safely on eBay, please visit our Safety Centre by copying this link into a new browser window:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/safetycentre

As always, our goal is to keep eBay a safe and reputable place to buy and sell. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

eBay Trust and Safety

They purchased an item i had on BIN & paid this morning. I havent posted it yet as i havent had chance. I dont know what im suppose to do, has anyone else ever had this? Should i just refund the payment?

Thanks xx

boysmum
30th July 2008, 21:18
Did you have the mail on your ebay account, or into your main email

My son had problems last week and turned out the email was not from ebay, it had come in on his main email was not in his ebay mail

amandaj67
30th July 2008, 21:19
ill just check its in the ebay messages- It came to my main account originally

amandaj67
30th July 2008, 21:22
Yep - its real, its in the my messages bit as an Alert :confused:

snakebite99
30th July 2008, 21:27
has payment been received

amandaj67
30th July 2008, 21:28
has payment been received

Yes i recieved the payment through paypal this morning. He's no longer registered now though :confused:

snakebite99
30th July 2008, 21:29
think i would not send and send a second chance offer 2 the next highest bidder

amandaj67
30th July 2008, 21:30
I've still got his money in my account though, should i refund it?

Is there anyway of finding out if he paid with a credit card or with funds already in his account? Im wondering if its a stolen credit card he used?

suzie3441
30th July 2008, 21:43
I think I would phone ebay to ask there advice and paypal.

30th July 2008, 21:46
Soneone hacked into my ebay account and email a while ago and I found I had been "buying" laptops, phones, etc etc. When I contacted ebay urgently they immediately emailed all the sellers and cancelled all the transactions. I did not see the email sent to sellers but it looks to me as if this may be what has happened.
Was it a large value transaction? I would ask ebay for advice - certainly would not refund for now if it was me.

angelic
30th July 2008, 21:49
I've still got his money in my account though, should i refund it?

Is there anyway of finding out if he paid with a credit card or with funds already in his account? Im wondering if its a stolen credit card he used?

Ebay have suspended your buyer for a reason ;) It could be anything, stolen credit card, unpaid Ebay Fees are just two possibilities...

I would strongly advise (as Ebay have) that you don't proceed with the transaction.
As the buyer is no longer registered, as far as Ebay are concerned, the transaction is null and void and if you did go ahead, you would be breaching Ebay policy as it would be classed as an "off Ebay" sale.
Also if you went ahead, you would have absolutely no protection in the event of a problem ;)

Go to the payment transaction page in your PayPal account and go to the bottom of the page and you will see the refund option.
Click there and you can automatically refund the payment to your buyer.
You will automatically be refunded the PayPal fees incurred when you received the payment.

Once you do that, you will need to file an Ebay Unpaid Item Form so you can claim back your Final Value Fee.
As your buyer is no longer registered, you will instantly be able to go through the procedure and will get instant credit.

No need to communicate with the original buyer as he/she will not have any access to Ebay via the ID they bought on.

You can offer a Second Chance Offer to your underbidder, assuming there is one and if they opt to buy, great :)
This transaction would be totally separate to the one with the original buyer and would be covered for full protection as normal.

If you need any more help, just ask :)

amandaj67
30th July 2008, 21:57
Thanks guys for your advice. It was about 7 so not a huge amount of money. They only have 3 feedbacks. Its been a hell of a week for me so far. This is just one more hassle i dont need :(

dune
30th July 2008, 21:58
i would advise to sit tight and not send
ebay/paypal will probably retreve the money from your account

angelic
31st July 2008, 10:38
i would advise to sit tight and not send
ebay/paypal will probably retreve the money from your account

Ebay/PayPal won't attempt to retrieve the payment as they won't know if you have sent the item or not.
Best to refund right away as I suggested in my earlier post.

If you don't refund and are heeding all advice not to send, the buyer can still file a PayPal dispute as he/she will obviously want the money back.
Although they are no longer registered with Ebay, their PayPal account is completely separate and they can still open a dispute there.

dune
31st July 2008, 11:58
Ebay/PayPal won't attempt to retrieve the payment as they won't know if you have sent the item or not.

Paypal don't care if you've sent or not
If the buyer says they haven't recieve or any fraudulent activity has taken place through paypal .. then paypal always take the side of the buy and reverse the payment even if it puts you in a minus balance. They will also attempt to retreive monies from you if your balance is in a minus state

I've had experience with paypal and so have a few others on here regarding airtime sales and payments been reversed

angelic
31st July 2008, 12:11
Paypal don't care if you've sent or not
If the buyer says they haven't recieve or any fraudulent activity has taken place through paypal .. then paypal always take the side of the buy and reverse the payment even if it puts you in a minus balance. They will also attempt to retreive monies from you if your balance is in a minus state

I've had experience with paypal and so have a few others on here regarding airtime sales and payments been reversed

It is not quite right to say buyers claiming non-receipt will automatically win a PayPal dispute and receive a refund...

If you follow Seller Protection guidelines - send by trackable post, so you have a tracking number and it shows delivery to the registered address, PayPal won't refund the buyer if they file a dispute.

Sellers who fail to send trackable and/or to the registered address, will automatically lose a dispute as they have failed to comply with Seller protection.

Fraudulent activity is a different matter...