PDA

View Full Version : Ebay getting rediculous

sanmarco5
3rd August 2008, 15:52
Sold 4 items at beginning of week, had a few problems & couldnt post right away, emailed buyers telling them I would post by mid week, which i did, today I logged on & have two negatives for non receipt & 2 paypal disputes the buyers trying to claim their money back, when they must have received the items at latest by Friday. Both declined paying extra for recorded delivery so I cant trace them.
Its all getting rediculous now sellers cant leave negatives for buyers, in 7 years on ebay & have only ever had 1 negative, and now another 2 in 1 day!!

99redballs
3rd August 2008, 15:56
sorry to hear that sm, i insist that if anyone pays by pay pal they have to pay recorded delivery toprotect myself, if they pay by cheque or bank transfer then i deduct the recorded charge, but sometimes i still send it recorded but i save loads of money from pay pal fees.

Floosy
3rd August 2008, 15:56
Trust me I want to eat the stupid bint alive, that bought the pram on a BIN and didn't pay... I am currently thinking of what ****ty remark, I am going to leave her.

sanmarco5
3rd August 2008, 15:58
sorry to hear that sm, i insist that if anyone pays by pay pal they have to pay recorded delivery toprotect myself, if they pay by cheque or bank transfer then i deduct the recorded charge, but sometimes i still send it recorded but i save loads of money from pay pal fees.

stupid thing is they were only little items & sold for less then I had hoped, so I really didnt even make anything :( only thing I have gained is 2 negatives!

sammybear
3rd August 2008, 15:59
ebay makes me paranoid now..(when i sell something)lol.. although i always post on the day the auction ends anyway, i make sure i list an item so it finishes on my day off,(so i know i can get to the post office) and i only accept paypal.
I thought you had to wait 7 days to open a paypal dispute ??

Floosy
3rd August 2008, 16:02
you do sammy and I cant raise one till tomorrow

sammybear
3rd August 2008, 16:06
you do sammy and I cant raise one till tomorrow

Thanks floosy, thought that was the case..

so sanmarco , have they raised a paypal dispute or threatened too ?, as i dont think they can until a week after buying?

S

sanmarco5
3rd August 2008, 16:06
ebay makes me paranoid now..(when i sell something)lol.. although i always post on the day the auction ends anyway, i make sure i list an item so it finishes on my day off,(so i know i can get to the post office) and i only accept paypal.
I thought you had to wait 7 days to open a paypal dispute ??

yeah sorry my post read a bit wrong, (was last week i sold them not the week just gone, week before), they should have been received by a week ago friday, hadnt been on ebay for few days, on negative & paypal dispute done a few days ago, the other today, but only noticed them today.

angelic
3rd August 2008, 16:11
Sold 4 items at beginning of week, had a few problems & couldnt post right away, emailed buyers telling them I would post by mid week, which i did, today I logged on & have two negatives for non receipt & 2 paypal disputes the buyers trying to claim their money back, when they must have received the items at latest by Friday. Both declined paying extra for recorded delivery so I cant trace them.
Its all getting rediculous now sellers cant leave negatives for buyers, in 7 years on ebay & have only ever had 1 negative, and now another 2 in 1 day!!

Sorry you have had probs with your buyers....two negs from 4 sales is tough :(

As all sellers now have to accept PayPal, you should insist and stipulate Recorded/Special Delivery (depending on item value - use SD if 36 value or over) only so you have proof of delivery and a tracking number.
Don't give any other postage option - if buyers don't want to pay for RD/SD, you are better off without them than running the risk of further claims against you ;)

The most annoying part is both buyers have probably received their items and will now receive an automatic refund via PayPal as well :(
Sadly some buyers know exactly how the system works and will use it to their advantage :(

angelic
3rd August 2008, 16:15
Trust me I want to eat the stupid bint alive, that bought the pram on a BIN and didn't pay... I am currently thinking of what ****ty remark, I am going to leave her.

Sorry you have had a prob too Floosy :(
Unfortunately you can leave a neg for your non-paying buyer as sellers can now only leave positives or no feedback at all :mad:

I believe if you as seller leave a "negative" comment via the positive option, the buyer can request removal and Ebay will remove it :mad:
Gone are the days of a fair and level playing field....

rainbowhope
3rd August 2008, 16:15
..yeah, it always gets me when sellers say they ~arent~ responsible for delivery..(i.e they get proof of posting)..when paypal says it only accepts ''Proof of Receipt''..or the buyer has full came back (it could have been posted to anywheres)...not very many sellers understand exactly how paypal works...==Sellers= ''proof of posting'' means absolutely nothing to paypal==...its only ''proof of receipt'' that counts.

sammybear
3rd August 2008, 16:17
yeah sorry my post read a bit wrong, (was last week i sold them not the week just gone, week before), they should have been received by a week ago friday, hadnt been on ebay for few days, on negative & paypal dispute done a few days ago, the other today, but only noticed them today.

Aww ... you know what it puts me off selling anything :( i dont sell often, i buy more.)

2 negs & 2 disputes...aaargh...and sending by recorded del is not always fool proof either, i have had them post through the door with no sig !! but more of a chance of it getting there iyswim.

dont worry, its annoying: but think...its not the end of the world hun X

fawg
3rd August 2008, 16:21
i insist that if anyone pays by pay pal they have to pay recorded delivery toprotect myself, if they pay by cheque or bank transfer then i deduct the recorded charge

I might start doing this. I've had no problems selling on ebay since the new rules came in, but it's probably only a matter of time before I get a buyer trying it on.

sammybear
3rd August 2008, 16:34
I might start doing this. I've had no problems selling on ebay since the new rules came in, but it's probably only a matter of time before I get a buyer trying it on.

I sold my sons Apple ipod Touch recently on ebay(as he got the new iphone) and even though i sent it special delivery, i was still worried until the buyer left pos feedback ! shouldnt do, but we just do, dont we..:rolleyes:

mhoc
3rd August 2008, 16:47
I try and make my sales ending early in the week, hate anything finishing on a Friday or Saturday. Most of my items are worth under the 36 mark but I always get a receipt of posting for each item and on when I get home I put the item, postcode and username so I can track the postage if anything goes missing. From the Po you can get a form for lost items but it has to be 16 days after postage or 28 for things sent abroad - I think you can also get this form from the PO website.

For envelopes I get a certificate of posting.

I also send an email to the buyers when an item ha been posted so they have some idea when to expect it.

rainbowhope
3rd August 2008, 17:01
Aww ... you know what it puts me off selling anything :( i dont sell often, i buy more.)

2 negs & 2 disputes...aaargh...and sending by recorded del is not always fool proof either, i have had them post through the door with no sig !! but more of a chance of it getting there iyswim.

dont worry, its annoying: but think...its not the end of the world hun X

......yes you are soo right---my postman NEVER gets me to sign for
Recorded Delivery......its maddening cuz I paid extra for this service.

side thought: (.doesnt royal mail keep track of the thousands of un-signed packages ?...its alot of packages people could (in theory) claim against royal mail for...its potentially a huge loss to them )

I always tell my seller it wasnt signed for but received.

angelic
3rd August 2008, 19:21
I try and make my sales ending early in the week, hate anything finishing on a Friday or Saturday. Most of my items are worth under the 36 mark but I always get a receipt of posting for each item and on when I get home I put the item, postcode and username so I can track the postage if anything goes missing. From the Po you can get a form for lost items but it has to be 16 days after postage or 28 for things sent abroad - I think you can also get this form from the PO website.

For envelopes I get a certificate of posting.

I also send an email to the buyers when an item ha been posted so they have some idea when to expect it.

Problem is in the event of a claim by a buyer, PayPal will automatically find in your buyer's favour without a tracking number :(

Royal Mail are very hot on claims these days and due to this, they will usually only send a book of stamps as compensation (regardless of actual value) if you don't send trackable.

A Certificate of Posting or Receipt is simply proof you posted an item, it still doesn't cover you for more than a book of stamps :(

......yes you are soo right---my postman NEVER gets me to sign for
Recorded Delivery......its maddening cuz I paid extra for this service.

I had a spate of Recorded Delivery items coming through the door with no signature request despite someone being at home - postie didn't even knock :mad:
I rang local Sorting Office and complained, it hasn't happened since. This is going back a couple of years - so I would complain ;)

side thought: (.doesnt royal mail keep track of the thousands of un-signed packages ?...its alot of packages people could (in theory) claim against royal mail for...its potentially a huge loss to them )

I always tell my seller it wasnt signed for but received.

It is possible the postie signed for the parcel so as far as Royal Mail are concerned, it would have been signed for, just not by the recipient :(

heatherks
9th August 2008, 23:43
sorry you have had a hard time with feedback

...as a buyer i paid for an item on the 23rd july and still not turned up emailed the seller after 10 days and was told its on its way ...emailed again on wednesday as it still hadnt arrived to see when it was posted .....as items bought at the beginning last week 3rd aug had been posted and delivered few day later ...no answer so opened dispute only to be told if its not here by wednesday (3 weeks later) to get back to her

ive have also has items sent items standard parcel / recorded delivery sitting in the sorting office for up to a fortnight as no one was home to collect it and driver didnt put card through door .... so buyer thought it had not been sent / or went missing

heatherks
9th August 2008, 23:49
..yeah, it always gets me when sellers say they ~arent~ responsible for delivery..(i.e they get proof of posting)..when paypal says it only accepts ''Proof of Receipt''..or the buyer has full came back (it could have been posted to anywheres)...not very many sellers understand exactly how paypal works...==Sellers= ''proof of posting'' means absolutely nothing to paypal==...its only ''proof of receipt'' that counts.

i wrote that twice on my listing's and buyer actually turned down recorded delivery ..claiming that he wouldn't be in to sign and it was one of the few claims i got for non receipt of items ...they got his money back and at the end of the day i didnt know if he recieved the goods ..as a few weeks later on of them was selling near identical goods

proof of posting means nothing unless you have tracking number these days

..i complained to royal mail about the number of letters that i was expecting with vouchers etc in them not turning up still waiting on my stamps

indy
10th August 2008, 01:05
Problem is in the event of a claim by a buyer, PayPal will automatically find in your buyer's favour without a tracking number :(

Royal Mail are very hot on claims these days and due to this, they will usually only send a book of stamps as compensation (regardless of actual value) if you don't send trackable.

A Certificate of Posting or Receipt is simply proof you posted an item, it still doesn't cover you for more than a book of stamps :(

It is possible the postie signed for the parcel so as far as Royal Mail are concerned, it would have been signed for, just not by the recipient :(

i was told by post office that items under 36 were covered on standard postage if proof of posting has been obtained and you can provide proof of value of the item eg copy of ebay reciept i have only had to claim this once

moosey
10th August 2008, 04:23
I had a buyer who left me feedback for an item and THEN filed a paypal dispute saying she never received it!!:confused: I told paypal my side of the story but without a tracking number I don't have a leg to stand on. They refunded the buyer and because my pp account was short by 32p they have now 'limited' my account - I can't buy or sell until i put in funds (which I have now done however it takes a few days) and I have auctions ended tonight:eek: I am outraged at the way I have been treated over this - I am an honest seller, just trying to make a few extra quid from selling the kids outgrown clothes and I've now been subjected to this hassle. Any more listings I do will be sent by recorded delivery only.

angelic
10th August 2008, 09:37
i was told by post office that items under 36 were covered on standard postage if proof of posting has been obtained and you can provide proof of value of the item eg copy of ebay reciept i have only had to claim this once

All the PO blurb says this and yes in the past this used to be OK.
Royal Mail doesn't say (but is now the case) is it is reliant on the recipient returning a form RM will send to them stating non-receipt :(
There is no incentive for the buyer to do so as most honest sellers will refund before they put in a claim.

Unfortunately, there must be a large amount of dubious claims, especially from Ebay sellers and for this reason, RM have clamped down.
Without the returned form, RM can give just a pack of stamps.

It is not worth the risk of sending Ebay items of any value without tracking with no guarantee of compensation in event of a problem.

angelic
10th August 2008, 09:45
I had a buyer who left me feedback for an item and THEN filed a paypal dispute saying she never received it!!:confused: I told paypal my side of the story but without a tracking number I don't have a leg to stand on. They refunded the buyer and because my pp account was short by 32p they have now 'limited' my account - I can't buy or sell until i put in funds (which I have now done however it takes a few days) and I have auctions ended tonight:eek: I am outraged at the way I have been treated over this - I am an honest seller, just trying to make a few extra quid from selling the kids outgrown clothes and I've now been subjected to this hassle. Any more listings I do will be sent by recorded delivery only.

Sorry you have had such a problem, it is sickening that people can be so dishonest, but it sadly happens as some buyers know just how the system works :(
Your experience of PayPal is exactly what happens in event of a claim and no tracking number.....

If you haven't already done so, it would be an idea to send a message to your buyers to explain why you can't accept payment at the mo.
Buyers will just get an auto message if they try to pay via PP saying you can't accept PayPal payments and no explanation.
Better to do that than leave them worrying and wondering, I'm sure they will understand and tell them you will let them know when your account is OK to receive.

beltabout
10th August 2008, 12:57
i agree have been selling on ebay for a few years now and got 99% feedback so am pretty happy - have learnt you cant please everyone all the time but do take feedback very seriously and rarely gave bad feedback to sellers or buyers - It feels very vunerable now as a seller and i have a situation at the moment where i sold 2 bundles of collectables to a new buyer who has emailed to say he thought they were damaged and dirty and wants 'compensation'. I would dispute this as i do not recognise the issues he is describing but have said if he returns the items i will happily refund. He has emailed this morning to say he has kept 4 of the items and given the rest to a charity shop but wants me to compensate as he say's the items were damaged?

i am at a loss as as far as i am concerned the items were in good used condition when i sent them but i am always willing to accept some peoples expectations are particularly high so always accept returns if a buyer complains - as they no longer have them surely i can't be responsible for anything can I......

makes me want to scream:mad::mad::mad:

mhoc
10th August 2008, 13:02
I take masses of photos now and load them onto photobucket. These photos can be insterted into the text and dont cost extra.

So for instance if I am selling an item of clothing the main picture is the whole item but in the text there is a picture of the pattern and also a photos of any tears or marks or the hem line so the buyer knows exactly what they are buying.

janedoe
10th August 2008, 13:14
i agree have been selling on ebay for a few years now and got 99% feedback so am pretty happy - have learnt you cant please everyone all the time but do take feedback very seriously and rarely gave bad feedback to sellers or buyers - It feels very vunerable now as a seller and i have a situation at the moment where i sold 2 bundles of collectables to a new buyer who has emailed to say he thought they were damaged and dirty and wants 'compensation'. I would dispute this as i do not recognise the issues he is describing but have said if he returns the items i will happily refund. He has emailed this morning to say he has kept 4 of the items and given the rest to a charity shop but wants me to compensate as he say's the items were damaged?

i am at a loss as as far as i am concerned the items were in good used condition when i sent them but i am always willing to accept some peoples expectations are particularly high so always accept returns if a buyer complains - as they no longer have them surely i can't be responsible for anything can I......

makes me want to scream:mad::mad::mad:

I think in your case I would ask the buyer for photo evidence of any damage and without that your hands are tied to even think about compensation, and if he does produce the said evidence, ask him to return the items before you can give a partial refund.

DaisyChain
10th August 2008, 13:37
They're trying it on beltabout to get what they actually wanted cheaper - that's why they won't send back for a full refund.

Don't give in

moosey
10th August 2008, 19:51
Sorry you have had such a problem, it is sickening that people can be so dishonest, but it sadly happens as some buyers know just how the system works :(
Your experience of PayPal is exactly what happens in event of a claim and no tracking number.....

If you haven't already done so, it would be an idea to send a message to your buyers to explain why you can't accept payment at the mo.
Buyers will just get an auto message if they try to pay via PP saying you can't accept PayPal payments and no explanation.
Better to do that than leave them worrying and wondering, I'm sure they will understand and tell them you will let them know when your account is OK to receive.

Thanks for your reply. All the auctions have now finished and I have emailed all buyers to explain. I just hope I don't get any negs for this:( I am spitting mad at paypal for their draconian measures.

angelic
10th August 2008, 19:57
I agree with Daisy, your buyer is pulling a fast one ;)

Absolutely no way you should part refund, he should have thought of asking/sending evidence before supposedly sending some of the items to a charity shop...not that I believe that story for one minute!

My guess is he paid too much and is now regretting it or just wanted a few of the items.

In a case where a buyer says there is a problem with collectables, it is a good idea to allow a return for inspection of your "security markings" to check the items returned are those sent out ;)
Works a treat and strange how the buyer goes silent never to be heard of again :rolleyes: