PDA

View Full Version : Worried about a seller

Georgie
17th August 2008, 13:38
Last night I made a small purchase from ebay about 12 quid. I paid immediately as always & thought no more about it. Been buying MOC's points, bits & bobs from ebay since I found PTS couple of months ago with no problems.

After about 2 hours got email from seller direct to my email addy, which I asked ebay not to disclose:rolleyes: asking for payment.

Replied saying I had paid 2 hours since. Checked paypal and they had stopped my payment from going through, I clicked cancel (didnt want to pay twice) and paid again. Assumed it had now gone through.

Another email from seller asking what is going on ? Said I'd paid again, checked again, paypal had stoped it again. Seller started going on about their 100 % feed back. I doubled checked and that was as a buyer, no feed back as a seller.

The email addy they were mailing me from was different to the one paypal were using. They also have very poor written English, so it's hard to decipher their emails.

I know it's a nothing amount of money, 12 quid, but I have spent the best part of two hours last night and this morning trying to sort this, emailing back and forth, tried to pay three times, thinking it's gone through and it hasn't, re-emailing etc

I dont need the grief. Is it possible this seller just hasn't a clue and doesn't know how to operate his/her account properly ? Any ideas ?

Floosy
17th August 2008, 13:45
Georgie Ebay breeds a bunch of numptys! Anything is possible... Offer a different type of payment and send it recorded delivery!

rainbowhope
17th August 2008, 13:51
....I always use paypal cuz with recorded delivery they can still claim they never received the money.

If paypal is stopping payment--there has to be a reason...either a problem with your account..or theirs cant accept payment (i.e. they owe)....

Get to the bottom of it before you blindly send them a dime...it could be a scam.

99redballs
17th August 2008, 13:51
personally i wouldn't bother sending it another way , only pay pal. if you've had no probs paying before then it's a problem their end so they can fix it!

heatherks
17th August 2008, 13:58
did they advertise Paypal as means of paying then it should go to the account held by eBay

i have had a few paypal transactions declined as seller didnt take payment linked through credit or debit card through paypal only bank (hadnt heard by that) though paypal was instant payment

...but wouldnt pay to any other paypal account as you might not be covered incase item goes missing have you tried to contact ebay on this matter think they have a direct phone number now

Georgie
17th August 2008, 14:13
Many thanks for the replys.

Checked my accounts I have made approx 50 payments to ebay via paypal since I set up the account two months ago and not had any problems. I would never link to a debit card or bank account, only to a credit card for the extra protection it affords.

I'm not happy buying outside of paypal anyway.

If it finally does go through this is the first seller I am going to give bad feed back to as it's so time consuming.:(

penfold
17th August 2008, 14:27
Many thanks for the replys.

Checked my accounts I have made approx 50 payments to ebay via paypal since I set up the account two months ago and not had any problems. I would never link to a debit card or bank account, only to a credit card for the extra protection it affords.

I'm not happy buying outside of paypal anyway.

If it finally does go through this is the first seller I am going to give bad feed back to as it's so time consuming.:(

Hope you get it sorted soon.

However, I don't know if I would automatically give bad feedback, so long as they are not being nasty.

As you said, this is their first time as a seller, it may be a number of things that they aren't aware of and are doing their best to fix (often not easy over the weekend)....we all know paypal and ebay can be very tempramental at times to use and navigate your way around :(

Buying from an individual from ebay is not like buying from a shop....I don't expect professional CS as they are just like you or me, you're not buying from M&S.

Georgie
17th August 2008, 15:05
Hope you get it sorted soon.

However, I don't know if I would automatically give bad feedback, so long as they are not being nasty.

As you said, this is their first time as a seller, it may be a number of things that they aren't aware of and are doing their best to fix (often not easy over the weekend)....we all know paypal and ebay can be very tempramental at times to use and navigate your way around :(

Buying from an individual from ebay is not like buying from a shop....I don't expect professional CS as they are just like you or me, you're not buying from M&S.

Yes I know what you mean, I have never been a seller on ebay I suppose it's hard to get going.

I'm having trouble as their written English is so poor, its all mixed up with text speak and capitals in the wrong place no full stops and the emails are huge.

I interpreted an email as saying they were reporting me to ebay which gave me the hump, as I have tried 3 times to buy this blessed thing.

So I sent off one back saying I would do the same and report them (childish I know).

Now had one back which I think is saying they are reporting their paypal account malfunction (my words not theirs LOL) rather than me to ebay. But I thought if your paypal went wrong, ebay expects you to sort it direct with paypal, so sounds like they haven't a clue.

I really can't be bothered with it all.

angelic
17th August 2008, 15:09
All sellers have to advertise and accept PayPal, if your payment isn't going through, seems it is a problem at the seller's end.

My guess is they have a Personal account so if your payment is funded by your credit card, the seller is actually refusing it ;)
With a Personal account, the seller can receive money free from fees but only from buyer's PayPal balance, not from cards.

If I am right, the seller will have been notified by PayPal and told they have to upgrade to a Premier account to accept your payment. This means they will be charged to receive any monies.

Don't pay any other method as you won't have any protection ;)
I would politely e-mail the seller advising you have tried to pay twice and say you will try again if they can sort out their account.

Not really a problem that their e-mail addy is different to their PayPal addy. Does the e-mail match their Ebay registered e-mail addy?

I have more than one Ebay ID and only one PayPal account, so I have a different e-mail to one ID to that for my PayPal account.

penfold
17th August 2008, 15:16
Yes I know what you mean, I have never been a seller on ebay I suppose it's hard to get going.

I'm having trouble as their written English is so poor, its all mixed up with text speak and capitals in the wrong place no full stops and the emails are huge.

I interpreted an email as saying they were reporting me to ebay which gave me the hump, as I have tried 3 times to buy this blessed thing.

So I sent off one back saying I would do the same and report them (childish I know).

Now had one back which I think is saying they are reporting their paypal account malfunction (my words not theirs LOL) rather than me to ebay. But I thought if your paypal went wrong, ebay expects you to sort it direct with paypal, so sounds like they haven't a clue.

I really can't be bothered with it all.

Fair enough, if someone is shirty with me then I am shirty right back at them :D

Knew Angelic would be along soon with some sensible advice..she is a :star-smiley:

Georgie
17th August 2008, 15:34
All sellers have to advertise and accept PayPal, if your payment isn't going through, seems it is a problem at the seller's end.

My guess is they have a Personal account so if your payment is funded by your credit card, the seller is actually refusing it ;)
With a Personal account, the seller can receive money free from fees but only from buyer's PayPal balance, not from cards.

If I am right, the seller will have been notified by PayPal and told they have to upgrade to a Premier account to accept your payment. This means they will be charged to receive any monies.

Don't pay any other method as you won't have any protection ;)
I would politely e-mail the seller advising you have tried to pay twice and say you will try again if they can sort out their account.

Not really a problem that their e-mail addy is different to their PayPal addy. Does the e-mail match their Ebay registered e-mail addy?

I have more than one Ebay ID and only one PayPal account, so I have a different e-mail to one ID to that for my PayPal account.

Many thanks for this. I think this could be the problem and they need to upgrade to a premier account.

In fairness to them they may be trying to get it sorted.

If I was a first time seller I think I would have been tempted to withdraw the item as they must be spending as much time on this as me, going by the amount of emails they are sending me.

I would imagine it's difficult to get ebay and paypal matters resolved over a weekend.

I will only pay through paypal.

angelic
17th August 2008, 21:28
If my theory is right about the seller needing to upgrade their account, they will know this and all it takes is the click of a button ;)

The message they will get will tell them they can refuse the payment and therefore opt not to upgrade, but if that is the case, the seller should notify you of this.
They will soon come unstuck if they have this happen with other sales and other buyers paying using a card :(

Not much you can do really as ball is in the seller's court :(
If they won't upgrade, you won't be able to pay so will be going round in circles :(
Good that you will only pay via PayPal as you need to have the protection offered ;)

icho
17th August 2008, 21:42
i'm sure your have to be verified or something by paypal to accept payments. I remember having a lot of trouble when i first started and am sure i had to log onto paypal and upgrade IYSWIM.

Georgie
17th August 2008, 21:49
If my theory is right about the seller needing to upgrade their account, they will know this and all it takes is the click of a button ;)

The message they will get will tell them they can refuse the payment and therefore opt not to upgrade, but if that is the case, the seller should notify you of this.
They will soon come unstuck if they have this happen with other sales and other buyers paying using a card :(

Not much you can do really as ball is in the seller's court :(
If they won't upgrade, you won't be able to pay so will be going round in circles :(
Good that you will only pay via PayPal as you need to have the protection offered ;)

Thanks again, after your first post I emailed to seller and told them that I suspected that they needed to upgrade their paypal account (must admitt am getting hacked off as I feel like I am doing all the work here and yet I am the customer :mad:).

Got a very confusing email back which I think was trying to say they have been sitting infront of their screen for a couple of hours waiting for ebay to email them and tell them what is going on. :eek:

I havent told them that upgrading may cost them money as that might worry them, but then presumably if they intend operating as a seller they should be aware of this.

angelic
18th August 2008, 21:47
I hope you have got your seller sorted, Georgie :)

Georgie
19th August 2008, 00:09
I hope you have got your seller sorted, Georgie :)

Yes thank you, I was very grateful for your suggestion, as I think that was all she needed to do but didn't realise. I am not a seller myself so was a bit stumped as to what was going wrong.

The 'My Messages' section of 'My Ebay' now has about 25 messages in it over this one purchase. :rofl:::faint:

The only thing I suppose I should keep an eyeout for is that the payment hasn't gone through twice for some reason. As looking in my normal emails there seems to be some conflicting information.

angelic
19th August 2008, 09:04
Goodness me, 25 e-mails for one transaction is some going!

You can check the payment has only been made once by going to your PayPal account as it would show there if it has gone out once or twice to same seller.