PDA

View Full Version : Travel Insurance

black cat
23rd August 2008, 13:44
I am not looking for actual recommendations here... just a discussion...

We currently have free annual travel insurance through my current account. However I am a bit concerned that it will not cover us when we need to make a claim for something... but you only discover about what is not covered when you claim.

Therefore I am wondering if people could make suggestions over what they have claimed for and any experiences over what they found they were not covered for (eg for car insurance I always check for courtesy car and legal cover)

We tend to be booking flights and hotels independently, flights being paid for either by BA miles, Airmiles or cash and the hotels being booked either through a booking website or the hotel website directly. When possible we fly on a through ticket but sometimes end up changing airlines in London so run the risk of missing connecting flights (but always allow the suggested time between flights)

Anyone any comments/thoughts/suggestions.....

chirpy007
23rd August 2008, 16:56
Have you got a copy of the t & c's to see what they cover and exclusions, insurances vary so much it would be impossible to gauge.I have also heard that this type of insurance perhaps doesnt offer enough cover.

black cat
23rd August 2008, 19:32
Have you got a copy of the t & c's to see what they cover and exclusions, insurances vary so much it would be impossible to gauge.I have also heard that this type of insurance perhaps doesnt offer enough cover.

I have got the 24 or so page booklet of t&c which I have read but I am trying to get ideas of what people have found out they were not insured for the hard way so I can see if that is covered in my insurance. I am thinking about the things they are not going to list in exclusions (going back to my car insurance example I have yet to see any car insurance policy that states "you will not get a courtesy car if your is damaged and in for repair", they list it if they include that as part of the policy and if it is not included then they do not mention it)

Raffles
23rd August 2008, 21:44
Travel insurance splits into two parts. There is the desperately important stuff (ie the level of medical cover, whether they will fly you back in an air ambulance etc) and then the comparatively trivial stuff (ie you get 20 if your flight is 6 hours late etc). The important stuff tends to be pretty standard. The trivial stuff does change, eg:

If your baggage doesn't arrive, how much can you spend on new clothes? And how long do you have to wait for your bags?
If your plane is delayed, how long do you have to wait before you get compensation? And is it more than a trivial sum?
If you are going to the airport on public transport and it is delayed, will your insurer pay out for a replacement flight?

The Amex platinum card cover is pretty comprehensive (they even pay car hire insurance so you can decline all the extras). If you scoot around americanexpress.co.uk/platinum you can download the travel policy and look at it - its pretty comprehensive.