PDA

View Full Version : Spoof emails

sandhabibi
18th December 2006, 08:46
I just received a message from this person I'm very concerned about as I have nothing for sale and haven't for a few weeks....When I clicked on the feedback, it took me to ebay live auctions and the feedback star is still yellow with 12406 feedback!!!! Didn't want to click any further.
euroantiquegem( 12406)
Positive feedback: 100%
Registered on: www.ebay.com
euroantiquegem is a potential buyer.
Hi seller,
I want to buy your item and I wanted to ask you if it is still available for selling. Please respond to my question as soon as possible. Thank You!

rainbow
18th December 2006, 09:01
I've had a few such messages. Just ignore/delete them. I even had one telling me I'd won a motorcycle in America and chasing me for payment. I forwarded it to spoof@ebay.co.uk asking if it was genuine and of course it wasn't.

Jules_2005
18th December 2006, 09:06
I've had a few of these recently either asking if I've still got an item for sale or telling me I've won. I always forward these to spoof@ebay.co.uk too

ChickenCottage
18th December 2006, 09:31
Hi Sandi :hug:
That ebayer seems to very recently have been deregistered from ebay.
Just delete it and forget about it, or pass it on to ebay if you want.

ChickenCottage
18th December 2006, 09:33
Was that an email btw?
If it was an internal message from ebay it would be very strange.

DaisyChain
18th December 2006, 11:11
I get quite a few Sandi, usually asking what the postage is when I have no items for sale, and just delete them as Chick says. They seem to come in little waves and then stop for a while.

zoot
18th December 2006, 11:12
never had anything like this, but know what to look for now, Thanks.

zoot
16th January 2007, 22:06
Just had a question on one of the items I am selling at the moment, but when I opened it up it was not a question but someone asking me to

Welcome to visit our website : http://######.com
Accept the paypal
E-mail : ########@hotmail.com
MSN : ########@hotmail.com

Anyone had anything similar?
Have taken out some of the details because I am always worried about clicking on strange links and getting a computer virus!

Gizmos
16th January 2007, 22:07
delete it and dont do anything - or forward to ebay spam - just dont click on the links as they might have keylogger software etc

Maldives
16th January 2007, 22:09
Sounds dodgy to me Zoot...

DaisyChain
16th January 2007, 22:11
It is dodgy Zoot. I got one and a few days later got a genuine E Mail from EBAY warning me about it. Delete it

zoot
16th January 2007, 22:14
It is deleted and I have reported it. thanks for the advice guys.

pammy
16th January 2007, 23:26
You can always tell if it is a genuine question if the top of the email says your ebay member name and your full name that is registered (ie mine would say 'ebay sent this message to Pam xxxxxxxx (pjcamille)'
Also that the item is actually something you are selling. I have had many daft questions about american trading cards!

if I dont see that at the top then I dont read any further and just delete it.
The same with paypal. I get many fraud emails from them and I dont read them unless they have my full name in the email.

hth
Pam

janedoe
17th January 2007, 01:19
Just had a question on one of the items I am selling at the moment, but when I opened it up it was not a question but someone asking me to

Welcome to visit our website : http://######.com
Accept the paypal
E-mail : ########@hotmail.com
MSN : ########@hotmail.com

Anyone had anything similar?
Have taken out some of the details because I am always worried about clicking on strange links and getting a computer virus!

They are just tooting for business, I get them quite often and ebay usually send me an email telling me to ignore them, so I just delete them.

gobbyash
17th January 2007, 08:05
They are just tooting for business, I get them quite often and ebay usually send me an email telling me to ignore them, so I just delete them.

Lol :) Whatever next? Pipping?

gobby

Gizmos
17th January 2007, 09:42
I got an ebay survey today - it looked genuine but something about it didnt ring true so deleted it

sandhabibi
17th January 2007, 09:51
I've been inundated with ebay spam this last week, One was saying I was suspended, which I'm not and a few asking if I will post item to Toulose in france but it's not saying what item question is about and the name of user is no longer registered so I won't click on anything thrtoiugh e-mail.

Angel
18th January 2007, 18:09
A genuine ebay message should also appear in your message folder on my ebay.

devondumpling
23rd February 2007, 23:22
Quite happily sat flicking between this site and ebay when I was alerted to mail. Had a look only to find an email allegedly from Ebay. 'Confirmation to change my email - response required'. I felt sick and had visions of my account being hijacked :eek: but followed the golden rule....
Opened up a new window and checked my messages in my ebay summary page...... no messages from Ebay.

I forwarded the email to spoof@ebay.co.uk

Within a minute or so received mail from Ebay saying that the email was a spoof.

I know warnings have been posted here before but just in case anyone isn't familiar with spoof emails NEVER CLICK ON ANY LINKS in emails that appear to be from Ebay until you have checked your ebay summary page.
If Ebay want to contact you they will do it through 'my messages' on your summary page :)

M3chanical_animal
23rd February 2007, 23:30
Great post devon! Your getting a well deserved rep point for that and for being so ****** clever! :) Thanks for the warning!

Maldives
23rd February 2007, 23:31
Its always worth letting peeps know about this, not once, but several times over... thanks Devon..

LoveABargain
23rd February 2007, 23:37
Yes thanks from me too, it a moment of panic I can see how easy it would be to follow the link..... thanks for the reminder too

ChickenCottage
23rd February 2007, 23:49
I got a lot of spoof paypals ones this week too.

madone!
24th February 2007, 00:39
thanks for reminding us all to be on our guard.

ebay will only ever address you by your user name.

devondumpling
24th February 2007, 10:20
Great post devon! Your getting a well deserved rep point for that and for being so ****** clever! :) Thanks for the warning!

Very kind of you M3chanical_animal, thank you.
I had a friend who read her emails in a hurry before going out and made the mistake of clicking on a link and then had to change her password and go through a sleepless night wondering if anything was going to happen. Luckily she was ok and I think it's quite hard for anyone to get your bank details unless you actually type them in on a link. But it's always better to be careful and think before you act - although easier said than done when you're in a moment of panic!
Unfortunately the spoofers have to get more and more cunning so people new to ebay are easy prey as the emails look so realistic.:(

M3chanical_animal
24th February 2007, 10:50
We had one sent the other day pretending to be HSBC - I knew it couldn't be genuine as banks never ask you for your details in an email - they always tell you to enter your a/c as you usually do and not by following a link - but even I was impressed with how real this one looked - you can see why people can be fooled.

LoveABargain
24th February 2007, 11:31
I got a lot of spoof paypals ones this week too.

How would you know if the paypal one was genuine or a spoof?

M3chanical_animal
24th February 2007, 11:52
Paypal will never ask you to sign into your paypal a/c by following a link in your email - if it was a true paypal email they would ask you to type in paypal's web address as you would normally. They will also never ask you to confirm details of your a/c including your name, addy, password or bank details via email. If you ever get an email that you are unsure about just delete it - if its important and real they will get back in contact :)

ChickenCottage
24th February 2007, 13:55
How would you know if the paypal one was genuine or a spoof?

Yes as M3 says:
NEVER FOLLOW AN EBAY OR PAYPAL LINK FROM AN EMAIL,
ASKING YOU TO LOG IN TO YOUR ACCOUNT

6lilpigs
24th February 2007, 15:52
Big thankyou for this warning and details of the right thing to do. Haved repped you aswell dumpling, I'm new to ebay so I am trying to learn as I go along and things like this I'm sure will be invaluable.

annatye
24th February 2007, 19:07
I have had the paypal ones - saying someone has tried to access my account please log in to verify account. I hesitated and went to new window but when I logging in it never said anything so ignored it. I have had about 3 of those emails this year already. Scary - they do look so real

devondumpling
27th February 2007, 19:55
Another spoof ebay one that I've been sent a few times is just a simple question that looks very much like it's come from a member and just says 'how much to send to Italy?' with a box saying respond.
There's no reference to an item and if you check your summary you will see that it is not a genuine question.

Maldives
27th February 2007, 21:56
Had a spoof email, saying "saw your item two days ago for sale, if you dont believe me click this link", this was followed up from Ebay with a don't go there as is fraud.....

glorious
10th March 2007, 12:56
Hi all newish here on pts 1st q what does rep mean?
I have had so many spoof emails of both ebay and paypal more so recently one saying (i see your item has not sold yet it had)id like to buy it, he was from the usa!Many from paypal asking me to verify my account because of suspected fraud or my account would be closed in 72 hrs im verified! and worse one supposed to have been from another member it said on the from on the email m3mber@ebay.com then in the email was a genuine ebayers account details and was quite abusive saying id stolen his daughters birthday money!(naturally i was mortified ive never stolen anything in my life have 100 percent with ebay and value my reputation so it does startle you) i clicked on the items this chap had recently bought and it there was a dress bought in dec had an idea it may be a spoof just as well i didnt email the poor guy back as it could of turned nasty instead forwarded to ebay and sure enough it was a spoof.Thought it was strange as i very rarely have anything to sell and certainly nothing that a little girl would like unless shed like some daz coupons lol.So be warned all these people that pretend to be from ebay paypal banks or whatever will stoop to sending endless spoof emails pretending to be from your bank or whatever in the hope they hit the right bank or ebay, paypal account one day and you will think its genuine.

Jules_2005
10th March 2007, 13:09
A rep is when you thank someone for a useful post. If you click on the white scales in the dark blue line above someones post, you can leave a thank you message, Its useful to leave your name after your message so the recipient knows who it's from.

flookie
25th June 2007, 23:33
I have recieved a fake ebay email tonight asking for me to click on the link provided and re enter my password as my ebay account has been suspended due to security reasons.My oh opened the email and as soon as he said i had a message about security from ebay i knew it was gonna be a fake,it was titled dear ebay member,which is something ebay never do.This is the third one of these i have had in as many months and is so annoying as even though i know it is a spoof it is time consuming reading them through to be sure they are fakes then reporting it to ebay.So beware everyone you may get one next!

tyroleandancer
25th June 2007, 23:35
I have recieved a fake ebay email tonight asking for me to click on the link provided and re enter my password as my ebay account has been suspended due to security reasons.My oh opened the email and as soon as he said i had a message about security from ebay i knew it was gonna be a fake,it was titled dear ebay member,which is something ebay never do.This is the third one of these i have had in as many months and is so annoying as even though i know it is a spoof it is time consuming reading them through to be sure they are fakes then reporting it to ebay.So beware everyone you may get one next!

Thanks Flookie haven't had one for a while. Will keep eyes peeled.

tigger73
26th June 2007, 10:01
I had a fake e-mail supposedly coming from the Halifax. It asked me to input my details as they needed to do an automatic update or something. I don't bank with the Halifax, so it was not a problem ( even if I was that gullible ) but it did look very authentic. It might fool some people who do bank with them.

GemLou
26th June 2007, 13:58
I have had these before from 'banks' and 'ebay' - I just delete now as when I have reported they don't ever get back to me.

flookie
26th June 2007, 18:06
The thing to remember is ebay will always start the email with your username not "dear ebay member" as my email did and if it is an official ebay email there will be a copy of it in your messages in your ebay account,and banks are generaly the same,starting with your full name,and they all say they will never ask you to input passwords from an email.Best thing to do if you get one of these is to come out of the email,go directly to the site then search for what they are asking you about.

janedoe
27th June 2007, 22:10
I get these quite regularly on my old email address that I had with ebay so if I see them I just delete them and also the powerseller email.

tyroleandancer
7th September 2007, 10:32
Just received this Email which I presume is spoof

Have forwarded it on to spoof@ebay.co.uk

Have got used to receiving them supposedly from Ebay but this is the first time I have had one titled paypal.
I think it will con many people as there is money involved.

BEWARE

In a continuing effort to provide our users with the best possible online payment experience, we randomly select registered users, like you, to participate in surveys. Your feedback will help us enhance your PayPal experience. We appreciate your taking a moment to respond. As a thank-you, when you have completed the survey, you will receive a 2.50 GBP PayPal Credit for your time.

To complete the survey, simply click on the Web address shown below (or copy the address into your browser).

dune
7th September 2007, 10:45
ive seen real ebay/paypal surveys but never known them to pay for it

i'd be very wary and you know the drill .....don't click any links