PDA

View Full Version : Simple things in the home that can help save the planet!

M3chanical_animal
24th February 2007, 18:19
A list for all to share the little things around the home that not only save the planet but also reduce your bills!

If you think of something - post it and we can update the sticky :)

Use energy saving lightbulbs in every light fitting - not just main lights - lamps as well! Huge savings!

Turn off ANY light that you dont use - I for example have even turned the light off in my fridge as I can already see in the fridge when its open cuz of the light in the kitchen! If your leaving a room - turn the light off!

Dont leave applicances on stand by - you may think that not alot of energy is being used but your apllicance us pretty much the same amount when on Stand by - the electric current is still passing through the system and that whats costs pennys and means more energy has to be produced!

Use your kettle - If you have both gas and electric use a kettle to boil water for a pan - its cheaper and uses less energy to boil it with the electric than it does with the gas!

Save water inside - Turn the tap off when brushing your teeth - some people leave the tap running while they are standing there brushing and all the water is being wasted - you have to pay for that water! When running the water and waiting for it to warm up fill up a kettle for example to save wasting the water. Fill an empty plastic bottle with water & put in the fridge so u don't have to run the tap too long to get a cold glass of water.

Save water outside - If you have a garden instead of attaching a hose pipe to wash your car get a big water but in your back garden to collect rain water and the water from your drain pipes - then use this water to feed your plants or wash your car! why pay for it when the planet gives it to you for free!

Use less heating - If you have the money to get your walls and roof insulated then do it - its definately cheap in the long run! Whether you can afford this or not if you feel yourself getting cold - reach for a jumper and not the heating! I'm not saying freeze yourself to save the planet but when walking towards the heating system in just your underwear complaining about being cold just think twice!

Switch your energy type - All power companies offer to put you on a green electricity plan - where all the electricity you recevie comes from reneable energy sources like wind power for example - this will dramatically reduce your carbon emmisions!

Walk more! - When just about to jump in your car just think whether a car journey is required - a brisk walk will help save the planet, save you the money on petrol and is also good for your body!

Recycle - Recycle everything and anything! Its really not hard to manage your waste effectively! Use an old cupboard or kitchen cupboard to store the items that are going to be recycled and I guarntee you will be surprised but how much your household waste reduces! Also, if you need to rinse out bottles/tins etc use the bath water once your finished with it - no need to waste more water washing them out!

Wash clothes efficiently - washing tablets and detergents now a days do not need to be washed a rediculous temperatures - 30 and 40 degree washes will definately get your clothes clean without wasting too much energy. Also in the summer use the outside to dry your clothes and in the winter use clothes horses in a spare room to dry your clothes - electic clothes driers both damage the threads of your clothing and use up lots of energy!

Even recycle your food - Get yourself a compost bin - they are robust and tall enough now to ensure you dont have any rat visitors - simply throw any fruit, vegetables and tea bags in there as well as cardboard tiny bits of wood, egg shells and shredded paper can go in the composter too - not only will you be cutting down on the amount of landfill space used but take into effect your other recycling and you will hardly have ANY waste! Of course your garden will be very thankful - if you havent got a garden why not donate your compost to a neighbour of a family memeber?

Get insulated! - even if its simply getting some insulation for the gaps under the doors or around the windows do it - you will quickly notice the difference for a very cheap outlay as well.

Take a shower - Now we all love our baths and we're not saying don't have one - we all deserve a nice relax sometimes but try and ensure you are taking more showers than baths. If you live in a family then re-use the bath water or take seperate showers - having repeative baths takes up more water than you think.

Buy applicances carefully - Make sure that when you buy new electrical appliances, kitchen in paticular that you try and get the best energy rating possible. Not only will it be cheaper on the bills but it looks like the government will soon be rewarding house which can prove they are energy efficient by lowering council tax rates!

Stay warm IN bed - Use a hot water bottle or a wheat pillow that can be reheated to keep any part of you warm instead of using the heating and/or a electric blanket - at the end of the day your going to be asleep and paying for something you wont benefit from - if you like me and dont like to be cold in the winter when you get up simply put the heating on timer to come on and hour before you wake up to ensure your not cold!

Recycle your batteries - Both Tesco and Argos will accept old batteries - please dont throw them in the bin!

Every little helps - Turn your heating down by just one degree - you'll be surprised how much it saves.Turnng down by just 1 degree saves 240kg carbon thats the same as planting eight trees!

Think about what you use - Use green washing products, try and use washable nappies or biodegradable ones, try and buy products with less packaging re loose veg, do you need to put them in a bag? Reuse bags. Don't forget to use your Bag for Life & not just in Tesco. Find inventive ways to recyle things. Use freecycle. Buy recyled paper products. If buying compost make sure its peat free. Wood and charcol from substainable sources.

Clean the Green way - Using ECloth's and Eco balls, save on chemicals, save on pounds and Eco friendly too. Angel green products. You can use green products for household cleaning such as soapnuts for laundury, ecover products or tescos own brand, bio d, urtekram shampoos all natural ingredients powered all by wind power etc. Vinegar for cleaning/fabric softner.

Be clever when you cook - Put lids on saucepans when cooking. Make up large batches of food to freeze & use at a later date - uses less energy than making smaller portions from scratch. If you have an electric cooker with a solid plate or ceramic hob, turn off a few minutes before the food has finished cooking and it will carry on with the heat that is left. Rice is especially easy to do this with. Leave the lid on and it will cook in the steam. It's very useful if you are dashing in and out as it cooks while you are out. If there is still some heat when you remove the pan, put some cold water in a pan to warm up to help with washing up.
You probably need to experiment, depending on your cooker. Match the correct saucepan to the size of the hob, saving 40% of energy!

Get a lagging jacket - for your heater. It needs to be 75mm thick and costs 10, you will save this in just a few weeks!

Charge your phone efficiently - UNPLUG CHARGERS WHEN NOT IN USE. If chargers for devices such as mobile phones and MP3 players were unplugged when not in use, the UK could save enough electricity each year to power 115,000 homes. Chargers are not huge energy consumers in their own right, but across the UK those left plugged in unnecessarily waste over 60m and are responsible for a quarter of a million tonnes of carbon dioxide every year. If a charger feels warm when it is plugged in without being attached to a device it is still converting energy.

Think about your water thermostat - Turn down your water thermosat, it does not need to be any higher than 60.

Drive light - Remove any excess baggage from your car, including bottles destined for the bottle bank! every 100lb weight reduces fuel economy by 2%

Leave your clothes fresh - Tumble dryers are energy guzzlers, invest in an airer.

Recycle while you work - Recycle your vending cups at work at http://www.save-a-cup.co.uk , or better still get people to bring in their own mug.

Stay cosy - Close the curtains at night, around 40% of heat is lost through windows.

Use every drop - Recycle left over paint, at landfill its a pollutant, and so much is thrown away, give it to www.communityrepaint.org.uk

It may be cheap but it comes at a price - Shun duty free, it weighs the aircraft down, on board watch your waste.

Maintain your radiators - Keep radiators at their maximum efficency through regular bleeds, and adding a foil reflector, increases their efficency.

All at the click of a button - Invest in a intelliplug www.oneclickpower.com. When you switch off your pc, it automatically powers down other devices.

Share the fun - Support toy libaries, toys are often made from plastic, so donate your kids castoffs. They provide free toys to borrow and run play sessions. www.natll.org.uk

How old is your fridge? - If your fridge is over 7 years old invest in a Savaplug, www.savawatt.com, to regulate energy - this already happens in newer models.

Make your voice heard - Lobby the office to fit a light sensor.

Keep your fridge efficient - Give your fridge a spring clean, your fridge/freezer accounts for 25% of your bill, so keep it efficent by cleaning the coils at the back.

Freckles
24th February 2007, 18:33
Excellent informative post M3, thank you!

zoot
24th February 2007, 20:08
Trying to think of tips to add M3 but you seem to have thought about everything!

My biggest problem is a badly fitting front door which makes the hall way very cold, and as that is where the thermostat for the heating is it turns the heating on when perhaps it need not be on.

I also have a dripping tap I know I should get fixed.

Ladyshopper
24th February 2007, 20:09
I remember growing up my mum used to put tin foil behind the radiators, and I bought some foil insulating stuff for behind mine in the living room. No idea how effective it is, but I'm sure it helps in some way!

tyroleandancer
24th February 2007, 20:22
Excellent M3

I get cold feet and can't sleep at night.

My tip is use a hot water bottle or wheat pillow that can be warmed up in minutes instead of an electric blanket.

Also we have to rinse all our plastic bottles out before recycling. Don't rinse them under the tap, throw them in the bath water just as effective unless your bath is full of bubbles and bath oil :D

M3chanical_animal
20th March 2007, 23:07
Ok peeps - 5 more have been added - have created this into a sticky so that new commers to the Eco forum can find the easy ways to make a difference - put your thinking caps on and come up with some more - doesnt matter how small you think it is! :)

tiger
20th March 2007, 23:18
You can also add cardboard to your compost bin, toilet roll and kitchen roll tubes and any plain cardboard can go in.

With regard to composting food waste, it depends on the type of bin you have. The one supplied by my local authority has no bottom and it sits on the soil. It is possible for rats or mice to enter it from below the soil. Table scraps should not be put into the bin. It should only be vegetable peelings and tea bags in addition to garden waste.

tyroleandancer
20th March 2007, 23:24
Recycle your old batteries Tesco and Argos both have battery recycling tubs in their stores.
or buy a battery recharger

M3chanical_animal
20th March 2007, 23:49
You can also add cardboard to your compost bin, toilet roll and kitchen roll tubes and any plain cardboard can go in.

With regard to composting food waste, it depends on the type of bin you have. The one supplied by my local authority has no bottom and it sits on the soil. It is possible for rats or mice to enter it from below the soil. Table scraps should not be put into the bin. It should only be vegetable peelings and tea bags in addition to garden waste.

I've not got a garden or a compost bin myself - thanks Tiger I'll update :)

M3chanical_animal
20th March 2007, 23:53
thanks guyz I've updated :)

Gizmos
21st March 2007, 08:33
When running the tap in kitchen waiting for the HOT water instead of letting the cold run down the sink and waste fill a kettle or jug with it to use at a later date

SuzyWoo
21st March 2007, 09:43
Turn your heating down by 1 degree. Even this small amount will make a difference.

princess_poppet
21st March 2007, 09:55
Energy saving light bulbs. In the hall and my front room i have ceiling light fittings (not chandeliers but the ones that are similar) and i dont think these will fit. Does anyone know of any makes of energy saving bulbs that would fit them?

tiger
21st March 2007, 10:36
Princess, if you have a good diy or hardware shop nearby, that hasn't been put of business by the likes of B & Q, take a dud bulb along to them so they can see the type of fitting and maybe they can get some for you.

princess_poppet
21st March 2007, 12:09
cheers tiger i will have a look round but dont think i have any little hardware shops near here!

Gizmos
21st March 2007, 12:14
I got some from ebay!

colman
21st March 2007, 12:16
ive often wondered whether you can get energy saving spot lights but never seen any anywhere - can someone advise me differently?

ohsobusy
21st March 2007, 14:16
It would be good to see some nice fittings that actually take the energy saving bulbs too. In my living room I've just got the bulb and no lampshade/ light fitting yet because I haven't found anything i like. There are plenty of nice light fittings if you have halogen bulbs but nothing which suits the energy saving ones. :(

Maverick
23rd March 2007, 16:40
Use green washing products
Try and use washable nappies or biodegradable ones
Try and buy products with less packaging re loose veg, do you need to put them in a bag.
Reuse bags.
Find inventive ways to recyle things.
Use freecycle
Buy recyled paper products
If buying compost make sure its peat free. Wood and charcol from substainable sources.

Angel
23rd March 2007, 19:14
Would you be able to tell me more about green washing products please?

DebbieE
23rd March 2007, 19:32
Don't forget to use your Bag for Life & not just in Tesco (I forget to take mine elsewhere at times!)

Egg shells can go in the composter too. Any shredded paper can go in too.

Make up large batches of food to freeze & use at a later date - uses less energy than making smaller portions from scratch.

Fill an empty plastic bottle with water & put in the fridge so u don't have to run the tap too long to get a cold glass of water.

Hummer
23rd March 2007, 19:36
ive often wondered whether you can get energy saving spot lights but never seen any anywhere - can someone advise me differently?

Yes the have them in B & Q.

They also have low voltage led downlights now to replace the 20 - 50 w downlighters too.

princess_poppet
26th March 2007, 15:43
Using ECloth's and Eco balls, save on chemicals, save on pounds and Eco friendly too....

Maverick
26th March 2007, 15:51
Angel green products
You can use green products for household cleaning such as soapnuts for laundury, ecover products or tescos own brand, bio d, urtekram shampoos all natural ingredients powered all by wind power etc.
Ecloths etc as mentioned by PP.
Vinegar for cleaning/fabric softner. etc

tyroleandancer
26th March 2007, 23:55
put lids on saucepans when cooking

Hummer
27th March 2007, 00:39

Found them in a Tesco extra too.

Hummer
27th March 2007, 01:20
UNPLUG CHARGERS WHEN NOT IN USE
If chargers for devices such as mobile phones and MP3 players were unplugged when not in use, the UK could save enough electricity each year to power 115,000 homes.

Chargers are not huge energy consumers in their own right, but across the UK those left plugged in unnecessarily waste over 60m and are responsible for a quarter of a million tonnes of carbon dioxide every year.

If a charger feels warm when it is plugged in without being attached to a device it is still converting energy.

M3chanical_animal
27th March 2007, 13:35
I must say I'm very impressed guys - your coming out with loads of greats ones - before the end of the week I will add all these to the sticky :)

tiger
27th March 2007, 13:47
If you have an electric cooker with a solid plate or ceramic hob, turn off a few minutes before the food has finished cooking and it will carry on with the heat that is left. Rice is especially easy to do this with. I usually bring the pan to the boil, give it about 5 mins and turn off. Leave the lid on and it will cook in the steam. It's very useful if you are dashing in and out as it cooks while you are out. If there is still some heat when you remove the pan, put some cold water in a pan to warm up to help with washing up.
You probably need to experiment, depending on your cooker.

colman
27th March 2007, 13:59
Yes the have them in B & Q.

They also have low voltage led downlights now to replace the 20 - 50 w downlighters too.

Cheers Hummer - i've looked everywhere for them, we have spot lights in or kitchen and we get through them so quickly, i figured energy saving ones would save us some money and help the environment, we have energy saving ones everywhere else in the home...

princess_poppet
28th March 2007, 17:19
I have found 2 places for energy saving bulbs the R50 is a spot light with a reflector:

IKEA have R50 (E14) 7W energy saver for 1.49 each.

JOHN LEWIS 49P each

M3chanical_animal
28th March 2007, 17:20
I was in Ikea in Bristol over the weekend - tried to pick some up but the only ones they didn't have is stock where those ones! Grrrrrr :mad:

M3chanical_animal
30th March 2007, 19:17
Well done guyz - I've updated and added to the sticky - keep em coming! Thanks to all those who have posted their suggestions! :)

Petra
15th April 2007, 20:08
I know it's the wrong time of year but during the winter months close your curtains just as dusk is falling to keep the heat in.
It does work and I often have to turn the heating down once they have been closed for an hour or so.

Petra
15th April 2007, 20:36
And one for the summer to cut down on those electricity bills caused by using a fan to cool your rooms. This is for heatwave weather.

If it is extremely warm outside with no breeze keep the windows closed. It may sound daft but opening them just allows the hot air from outside to come into the house. You'll still need to use your fan but not as much.
Saw this tip on an early morning TV programme and it did work for me during the heatwave last year.

Maverick
17th April 2007, 08:53
Added loads more, and some more to come:) , M3 can you do the boldy thing? Cheers:D

Angel
17th April 2007, 14:53
Ladies use a Mooncup (http://www.mooncup.co.uk/menstrual_cup_whatisit.html) not particularly keen on the idea myself though :eek:

M3chanical_animal
17th April 2007, 18:47
Done Maverick - also added some of the great sites you mentioned to the other sticky ;)

Angel do you have a link re the mooncup - I'll add it to both stickys :)

Maverick
17th April 2007, 19:38
I have a mooncup, and can not recomend it enough, will add it to sticky.

Angel
21st April 2007, 10:15
I have used the tesco naturally dishwasher tablets, which do the job as well as any other dishwasher tablets.

I use soapnuts along with a magno-ball and my laundry is actually softer than ever before.

dune
21st April 2007, 10:35
When running the tap in kitchen waiting for the HOT water instead of letting the cold run down the sink and waste fill a kettle or jug with it to use at a later date

I would advise against drinking this water as some people have cistern tanks in the loft and this water may have fibre glass or dirt in it. Its fine for washing in and general use but not really good for drinking

I use mine for watering plants

dune
21st April 2007, 10:39
one good way to save on cooking is to get a couple of steamer pans. The ones that stack up. You can stack about 4 or 5 high on one ring with 2 sets.

I can cook a full sunday dinner (veg) on one ring
potatoes in the bottom, then carrots in the next, then brocolli and cauliflower in the next and frozen peas in the top one. You can also reheat meat in there if you put in foil. I usually re heat cooked chicken with craberry saurce over it and wrapped in foil

The colour and flavour of the food is great cooked this way

tiger
21st April 2007, 10:53
Save the water used for washing fruit and salads and pour it into a bucket for watering the garden.

Beej
22nd April 2007, 22:28
Install a water meter, my annual water bill has dropped from 420 to 200 and it really makes you think about the water you use. See this website to calculate how much you could save water meter calculator (http://www.unitedutilities.com/?OBH=4395).

dune
22nd April 2007, 22:35
Install a water meter, my annual water bill has dropped from 420 to 200 and it really makes you think about the water you use. See this website to calculate how much you could save water meter calculator (http://www.unitedutilities.com/?OBH=4395).

i had one put in feb 7th and use about a unit a week so my bill should drop from 400 to 200 a year

If you have it installed internally :eek: (in your home ) it's free
Externally in yorkshire it's 92 for digging your drive up

I think you can go through uswitch to order one. Not sure if there is any cashback for going that way

Angel
9th May 2007, 15:53
I have recently started using soap nuts. I live in a very hard water area so I also use a magno ball (http://www.ethicalsuperstore.com/products/ecozone/magno-ball/).

I use five halves in a wash, and although they do not produce suds, the clothes leave the washing machine clean and soft. The question is, how many times can I re-use those soap nuts?

The instructions I have specify that I can use them twice if I have soft water (which I assume I do by using the magno ball) and wash at a temperature of 30 or 40.

I have read on different websites that they can be used more than twice, although surely the product is the same regardless of the manufacturer.

Maverick
9th May 2007, 16:32
Angel, re use them untill the white inner bits has gone, normally about five loads.

Angel
9th May 2007, 16:54
I can not see any white inner bits. Although five washes sounds good, thanks Maverick.

Maverick
9th May 2007, 18:12
Angel not white as such, when the soapnuts have been through a wash and are soft you will see two seperate bits the shell and the inner bit that is the soapy bit, it will become obvious when that bit is getting worn out so to speak, as you will just be left with the red shelly bit, hope that makes more sense!

Angel
9th May 2007, 19:12
Thanks Maverick I will inspect the soap nuts after the next wash :D

Angel
10th June 2007, 10:53
I am still quite pleased with using the soap nuts, although the only complaint DH has is that the clothes do not have that 'fresh' smell!

I know that essential oils can also be added to the wash. I am an eczma sufferer, which essential oils can I safely use without irritating my skin?

tiger
10th June 2007, 11:06
RDB suggested going to Boots and asking for pharmaceutical grade oil and explaining that you or a family member has sensitive skin or allergies. It's not only a more pure oil, but cheaper than buying little bottles.
I just ordered some from the internet and have used lemon, lavender & palmarosa. I have sensitive skin and none of them have caused me any irritation.

Angel
10th June 2007, 14:08
Thanks Tiger :)

Maverick
29th December 2007, 17:35
Addding useful food waste site

http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/

M3chanical_animal
29th December 2007, 18:29
Great webiste Mav - will add to the list of helpful websites sticky as well :)

I like the two week planner, now just got to work out what I can substitute for the meat......

M3chanical_animal
29th December 2007, 18:30
your one step ahead of me - you've added already - nice one :hug:

WELSH-DRAGON
29th December 2007, 18:37
we have just completed the family food waste challenge and were featured in the local press. We are a family of 6 and only chuck out one bin bag a week but during the challenge we looked specifically at what food we waste and why and whether we can compost it etc.

Although we were doing most things right, it did highlight to me that my bargain fruit buys weren't always such a bargain as the fruit sometimes was inedible before we got to eat it.

We really enjoyed the challenge and the kiddies spoke to their class about it too

Welshy x

M3chanical_animal
29th December 2007, 18:44
Nice one Welshy :)

lisa84
29th December 2007, 18:55
For 2008 I will make sure I re-use my own carrier bags, I feel really strongly about this now and what a waste they are. Im so annoyed the way the shops give you a bag for the smallest of items and now I have a huge handbag bought for me for Christmas I can put smaller purchases in there.
We are a family of 4 and only put out one black bag a week this can be picked up with my little finger, I have tried hard to reduce waste, it helps as my dog and OH eat anything so nothing is wasted!!!! Ive done my bit by changing light bulbs though alot of mine have dimmers, I will be hoping that I can get these changed soon with the new dimmer bulbs being brought out.
The kids love going to the recycling units and dropping their paper magazines clothing glass and bottles in the units.
When I have something that is of no use I advertise it free to collect in my local newspaper items include fridge Tv Kitchen units and worktops Tiles and a even a kitchin sink!!!!
We all must do our bit and Im certainly going to do more in 08 to help the world for my children!!!! Lisa84:D

M3chanical_animal
29th December 2007, 19:19
Well done Lisa- sounds like your children will grow up with the value of reducing waste and recycling - steps in the right direction for the next generation :)

angel,dust
29th December 2007, 19:21
I got those remote control plug sockets as I hated leaving electrics on standby but the plug is so hard to get to. gonna get another set when I have a few pennies for the pc set up for OH and for DD room (she got just as much as us really)
I bought them in tesco for 15 came with 2 plugs and one remote (remote can be used for up to 4 plugs)

Polo
30th December 2007, 00:57
I got those remote control plug sockets as I hated leaving electrics on standby but the plug is so hard to get to. gonna get another set when I have a few pennies for the pc set up for OH and for DD room (she got just as much as us really)
I bought them in tesco for 15 came with 2 plugs and one remote (remote can be used for up to 4 plugs)

Angel, you got a link for those? I'm not too sure what you mean, but they sound good!

Wow guys, only just found this thread, and its made me think....going to re-read it in the morning, and see what I can implement for this next year - we do a lot of it already, but I'm sure there is more we can do!

:love:

M3chanical_animal
30th December 2007, 10:31
Great news Polotoo - good luck :)

pookienoodle
30th December 2007, 10:53

just a quick word to say don't do this if you have any lead pipes in or leading to your home and never use boiled hot tap water to make up a babies bottle.
most homes no longer have lead pipes but some(ours included) still have a small quantity.

pookienoodle
30th December 2007, 10:59
if you have babies in nappies try washables, they are so much easier to use than most people think.
you don't need to boil wash them and ours wash fine in soap nuts and dry on the raidiators.
if you do use disposables remember to flush any solids down the loo.

M3chanical_animal
30th December 2007, 11:03
Thanks Pookie - will update, original post is telling me I've reached a max number of characters so might have to have a giggle around first :)

angel,dust
30th December 2007, 11:05
Angel, you got a link for those? I'm not too sure what you mean, but they sound good!

Wow guys, only just found this thread, and its made me think....going to re-read it in the morning, and see what I can implement for this next year - we do a lot of it already, but I'm sure there is more we can do!

:love:

sorry hun bought them instore will see if I can find similar to give you an idea of what your looking for

ok these are not the ones I bought (slightly different) but does the same thing
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.202-8698.aspx

CrystalTips
30th December 2007, 11:25
I have two compost bins & a bin for collecting all my leaves, but often have cooked food waste (bones, uneaten cat food, fats etc that I cannot put in the compost bins. Can anyone give advice on the Hot Compost bins against Wormeries or the Bokashi system.

Thanks, CT x:love:

pookienoodle
30th December 2007, 13:06
those of you that are pet owners try to use biodegradable poop bags when you clean up after your pet.
some local councils provide the biodegradable ones for free.
if not boots and mothercare sell biodegradable nappy sacks.

Polo
30th December 2007, 13:14
Oooo composting....

We have two big compost bin things, but struggled to take the scraps up from the kitchen. So we brought a small pedal bin, and we now use biodegradable composting bags (from tescos) to put the waste in, the kitchen doesn't smell and we tie the bag up and chuck it in the composter and let it does its thing!

The Wizard of Oz
30th December 2007, 13:19
Although I try and recycle everything that I can - including bits and pieces that my Mums council takes (and mine doesn't - bless her everytime I see her I end up giving her bags of rubbish to take home to recycle!!) I am also going to have another read through this and get some more ideas.

Would love to use the light bulbs but all our lights are with dimmer switches so will have to have a good look to see if I cna get any that can be used.

Also am thinking about a compost bin - have been for a while but haven't done anything about it - think I will look into it seriously in the new year.

Polotoo - that sounds a good idea re your small pedal bin in the kitchen - will have to remember that.

Polo
30th December 2007, 13:23
Thanks Wiz, most local councils seem to offer free or reduced compost bins, we got huge ones for about 12 delivered I seem to recall.

I'll see if I've still got the site in my favourites, you enter your postcode and it tells you which offers your area is eligable for.

cherry pie
30th December 2007, 18:10
not sure if this should go in this thread or some where else so forgive me.
i hate that you need to put your veg in those plastic bags at tesco and asda and i noticed a woman infront of me the other day hadnt used any and when the SA put the veg through she put them into the clear bags and told the woman they had to be wraped and she couldnt leave the packaging behind. is this right?
i work in debenhams if someone buys something and doesnt want the packaging we recycle it, why cant tesco?

M3chanical_animal
30th December 2007, 19:38
Hey cherry,

Never heard that one before - maybe the woman serving has always thought that was correct? When we go shopping we always buy stuff without the bags, never had anyone say anything - but might have had peeps who were not properly trained IYSWIM.

Love your name by the way :)

Maverick
6th January 2008, 14:36
A couple of good car sites, I have added to the sticky.

http://www.ibuyeco.co.uk/moreinformation.asp Eco friendly car insurance and Eco friendly breakdown cover
www.eta.co.uk

Interestingly it only costs 1.50 to make my car carbon neutral.

oompaloompa
6th September 2008, 07:36
I wish there was more support from councils/central government with wind/solar power. I don't think many people really look into these as viable sources of power. I've been looking at getting a wind turbine, and with the authorities relaxing planning consent I think more people will too. There seems to be split opinions on wind turbines being unsightly. I love them, I think that they can even have the 'stare into an open fire' effect!!:) I would always respect my neighbours opinions, and would speak to them before approaching the local authority.

Solar heating is SUCH a good idea, and so simple. You can get heat collectors that, in effect, work the same as a flask. They consist of a row of glass tubes with a vacuum inside. In the middle of the tube, there is a centre that absorbs heat from sunlight, (it doesn't even have to be a sunny day!)and transfers it to the top of the tube. Then at the top of all the tubes, water is passed through and heated up. This hot water is either used directly, from a collector tank, or heats up a converted immersion type tank.

At the minute, prices are not bad. I was reading an old magazine that somebody gave to me on green power, and noticed that in the last couple of years the prices have really dropped! In an ideal world, the government should produce wind/solar products at non-profit cost if they were serious about carbon emmissions.

Electric producing solar panels are expensive, but a good way of using free power from the sun. Even little ones for charging your mobile or batteries are available, and it makes you feel that you are doing your bit.

My daughter is nearly seven, and I think that in her lifetime she will see the day that most people use electric transport. And people will be charging the batteries for that transport using either individual wind turbines/solar panels, or communal ones, (unless by then the government has built the required amount of wind farms :rolleyes: ).

I know people don't want to think about it, but how long have we been using fossil fuel, and we (as a country) already find ourselves in the position of having to import coal and gas from europe and even russia!!:eek:

Somebody at work the other day was saying that wind power only accounts for about 1 percent of our power consumption, and that nuclear is the way we should be heading. Maybe I'm missing something :der:, but doesn't that just pollute the planet for the next 2,000 years or so??

Anyway, I hope I don't come across as a bit weird, but to all those with kids..... don't we owe it to them to do what's best for them. Should we really leave them with a land-filled and nuclear dumped world? I want to try my best to give the following generations a chance. Perhaps, hopefully soon, they will link recent natural disasters with the weather and climate directly to the millions of acres of lost rain forest etc that have been cut down.

So, rant over.... some credibility lost maybe, but opinion given.;)

dune
6th September 2008, 07:50
i'm glad someone has resurrected this thread. I have just received my electric bill and was quite shocked to see it had gone from a healthy positive balance to a negative balance it the lightest quarter of the year

I a now on a mission to reduce my consumption anyway i can... more to follow

frexy
6th September 2008, 07:55
use mine for making stock, soups and things like ham...great.

Also ecover green products are giving away Hippos to use less water in your toilet cistern

penfold
6th September 2008, 11:50
We've moved onto scottish & southerns 'better' plan where you get a free power usage monitor. It is really quite scary seeing how something as simple as putting the 'main' lights on in the kithcen instead of just the under unit ones :eek:

Have always been a bit shamefully blase about conserving power but, for instance, by switching all the plugs off at the sockets at night, rather than just switching the appliances off, our overnight consumption drops from around 250 to 112 watts...every night, all night....that will soon mount up!

Have also started to rinse the very lightly soiled plates, cups etc in water and leave them to drip rather than take up space in the DW.

Also intend to have the CH a LOT lower this year. Usually spend all winter padding around the house in bare feet and just a t shirt (well, obviously not JUST a t shirt!!!) whereas this year the slippers, socks and jumpers are being looked out :shocked:

Suppose I am quite embarassed that it has taken this increase in prices to force me to act rather than just environmental aspects but at least I am doing something at last :o

tiger
6th September 2008, 12:20
I agree with you ommpaloompa about wind farms. I quite like them and am worried about nuclear power.
I like the idea of solar power and I know that it is very effective for heating water. They had that system at a charity where DH worked and at times the hot water had to be run off because it was too hot. Not too much of a problem there because there was always someone there to do it, but in a normal house it could be a problem. I wonder if systems are more sophisticated now and a thermostat could cut out the solar system being used. Can anyone tell me?

whisky
29th March 2009, 17:29
Has anyone had any experience of what they call drier balls or eco balls? I saw these the other day, you put them in your electric drier with your clothesand they claim to save 25% electricity.
I am looking at anything and everything to keep bills down, only use drier in winter and outside line in summer or warmer weather.

moonriver
1st June 2009, 18:07
Excellent thread, just found it. This should encourage us to be more effiicient.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/12/1206_041206_global_warming.html