PDA

View Full Version : Cosmos holidays.

mikrik
1st March 2007, 09:45
Anyone used deals to book a Cosmos holiday?
Are there big savings to be made as tokens are only valid against brochure price and "cannot be used for extras such as transfers etc."

Hummer
1st March 2007, 11:46
Every destination and holiday company is different. The best thing to do is call them to price the holiday and ask if its okay to pay with Tesco deals vouchers.

Don't forget to price the same holiday with Virgin or XL.COM as I found Virgin ?1000 cheaper than Cosmos.

With XL.com it seems all of the booking has been paid by some members.
With Virgin and Cosmos its seems that all of the booking can be paid and brouchure discounts and promotions are included. Virgin and Cosmos discounts cannot be added in.

The best thing to do is call and ask about your particular destination.

pumpkin
1st March 2007, 12:10
I've used Cosmos. I did get a free child place, which I wasn't really expecting, and didn't pay anything for transfers etc, the only thing we had to pay was for the meals on the plane IIRC

Addy
1st March 2007, 12:21
Yep what they said :lol: You can usually price up what it will cost you in deals by looking at the holiday prices online and adding back any online discount. Fuel surcharges can be paid for with deals.

Been on two holidays with Cosmos, found them to be extremely helpful and efficient. No complaints at all.

Only thing I found (and it may well be the same with other holiday companies) is that to book I had to pay the deposit by credit card (100% with one as it was within 8 weeks of departure), which they then refunded once they'd received my deal vouchers - the refund was processed very quickly however.

Mamzie
1st March 2007, 12:32
Yep what they said :lol: You can usually price up what it will cost you in deals by looking at the holiday prices online and adding back any online discount. Fuel surcharges can be paid for with deals.

Been on two holidays with Cosmos, found them to be extremely helpful and efficient. No complaints at all.

Only thing I found (and it may well be the same with other holiday companies) is that to book I had to pay the deposit by credit card (100% with one as it was within 8 weeks of departure), which they then refunded once they'd received my deal vouchers - the refund was processed very quickly however.

How long did they give you to pay Addy, I thought you had to send the deals in asap... I always wonder how many to order in that case, how do you knonw, iyswim...

Hummer
1st March 2007, 12:37
How long did they give you to pay Addy, I thought you had to send the deals in asap... I always wonder how many to order in that case, how do you knonw, iyswim...

You have to give them the voucher numbers over the phone at the time of booking, then you mail them in. So you must have the actual deals vouchers at the time of booking. Virgin do not charge and refund you.

Addy
1st March 2007, 13:15
You have to give them the voucher numbers over the phone at the time of booking, then you mail them in. So you must have the actual deals vouchers at the time of booking. Virgin do not charge and refund you.

Ah! that's probably what I did different - didn't convert til after I'd booked....wanted to know exactly how many to convert and didn't want to lose out on the holiday, first time I booked my original choice wasn't available any more.

Hummer
1st March 2007, 13:38
Ah! that's probably what I did different - didn't convert til after I'd booked....wanted to know exactly how many to convert and didn't want to lose out on the holiday, first time I booked my original choice wasn't available any more.

Well thats a fine tip for Cosmos holidays if they will indeed let people do that. Although just because they did it for you doesn't mean they will do it for everyone but its worth a try. A nice bit of info. Rep point for you

colman
1st March 2007, 13:56
Every destination and holiday company is different. The best thing to do is call them to price the holiday and ask if its okay to pay with Tesco deals vouchers.

Don't forget to price the same holiday with Virgin or XL.COM as I found Virgin ?1000 cheaper than Cosmos.

With XL.com it seems all of the booking has been paid by some members.
With Virgin and Cosmos its seems that all of the booking can be paid and brouchure discounts and promotions are included. Virgin and Cosmos discounts cannot be added in.

The best thing to do is call and ask about your particular destination.

Hummer

Been meaning to ask you if i book a holiday through virgin with cc vouchers, i also have ?250 in virgin vouchers will they accept these on the booking?

ta

colman

Nana
1st March 2007, 14:02

I've just booked to go to India at Xmas with Cosmos.:) :) They took the deposit ?300 by credit card and asked me to enter the booking refence on all the deals vouchers and post to them so that they receive them within 3 days. The final balance has to be paid 8 weeks before departure. I did not have to give them the voucher numbers over the phone. I didn't quite have enough vouchers to pay the whole lot in deals but I believe that if this was the case you would pay the deposit by credfit card and have it refunded once Cosmos receive the vouchers.
I considered it risky putting ?2770 of vouchers in the post so to cover myself here I used the Post Office Special Delivery service with an extra payment for consequential loss. This cost ?6.20 total so well worth it I think.

Clarabelle
1st March 2007, 22:07
I've just booked to go to India at Xmas with Cosmos.:) :) They took the deposit ?300 by credit card and asked me to enter the booking refence on all the deals vouchers and post to them so that they receive them within 3 days. The final balance has to be paid 8 weeks before departure. I did not have to give them the voucher numbers over the phone. I didn't quite have enough vouchers to pay the whole lot in deals but I believe that if this was the case you would pay the deposit by credfit card and have it refunded once Cosmos receive the vouchers.
I considered it risky putting ?2770 of vouchers in the post so to cover myself here I used the Post Office Special Delivery service with an extra payment for consequential loss. This cost ?6.20 total so well worth it I think.

I've just done the same with Cosmos vouchers and used the post office special delivery service. Its worth it. My November holiday I paid in full with vouchers including the deposit. My March one I have had to pay on my card and they will credit me with the value of vouchers sent when they get them.

I was about ?250 short in vouchers for this holiday but they didnt say I couldnt use them for extras. I have booked Monach Plus. I found the Cosmos staff very helpful. Not all the holiday options are on the web site. If the flights are getting a bit full, they withdraw them from the website but you can still book by phone so its worth asking if the departure airport doesnt come up, for example.

Hummer
1st March 2007, 23:16
Hummer

Been meaning to ask you if i book a holiday through virgin with cc vouchers, i also have ?250 in virgin vouchers will they accept these on the booking?

ta

colman

They didn't for me.

However you can spend them separate with virgin on extra afterwards for theme parks car hire etc probably. But although I explained a voucher is a form of payment just like cash or card they wouldn't budge.

However my vouchers where "Virgin the voucher" maybe if you have Virgin Holidays vouchers they would be fine, if they make such a thing?

Bargainz
2nd March 2007, 06:37
Had a similar problem, have a staff card (for affiliated companies) and couldn't use that, and have Sandals signature points to redeem. It is clearly Sandals that reimburse the holiday companies for this, and they point blank refused to use both together.

Looks like I have to consider waiting until next mailing now to get enough to pay for August holiday; worried about availability but want nice holiday.

I really think its unfair that because my job means I can only go on school holidays that I have to pay 1/3 more for August.

Hummer
2nd March 2007, 10:56
Had a similar problem, have a staff card (for affiliated companies) and couldn't use that, and have Sandals signature points to redeem. It is clearly Sandals that reimburse the holiday companies for this, and they point blank refused to use both together.

Looks like I have to consider waiting until next mailing now to get enough to pay for August holiday; worried about availability but want nice holiday.

I really think its unfair that because my job means I can only go on school holidays that I have to pay 1/3 more for August.

You should definitely be able to get the Sandals Signature discount and use any of the Signet points should you have any.

The signature points earnings are given to you when you get there at the Presentations at 35, 70, 75, (and 84 nights if you stay at the Royal Caribbean)

Bargainz
2nd March 2007, 19:24
Yeh, I've got about ?450 in Signature points to redeem, but they said no, and asked for superviser who also said no way. Apparently to use them you have to request a letter (Virgin gave me the name of Sandals person to ring) from Sandals confirming you have the points, and they are credited against your booking. But they point blank refused to allow me to use them if I pay any part of my holiday in Tesco deals vouchers. Don't suppose you can remember who you spoke to do you Hummer?

Hummer
2nd March 2007, 20:05
I have never as yet used any signet points to book. However it would sound like virgin are just being lazy. So what I was told by Sandals when you are booking you call virgin and get a price and ask them to hold it for you whilst you talk to the Wife (or partner) they will not hold it but will give you a booking reference number you then call Sandals and give them the reference number and ask them to credit your Virgin booking you then go and pay Virgin for your booking. Although if you can afford to pay Virgin or Cosmos in full for a Sandals or Beaches holiday I would do that and save your points for the day when you have no Tesco points.

Bargainz
3rd March 2007, 09:20
No, I can't pay in full at the moment - about ?1000 short for Cuba, or ?1500 short for Jamaica. (Not Beaches cos the only reason to book with Sandals is the no kids policy - I work with them all day and love it, but I don't want to spend my hoiday with them!!)
I had planned to use the ?450 sig points to offset this, and could have saved the rest, but now need to completely rethink.

Think I need to earn Tesco points quickly this 1/4, and see what is left when I get May's vouchers in early June. Thanks for your help mate, rep on way.

Sarah
3rd March 2007, 10:10
hi i am interested in a sandals holiday with no screaming little kids about, but want to take my moody teenagers aged 15 and 17 with us would they be classed as adults

karen007
3rd March 2007, 10:32
I think I'm right in saying Sandals is only for 'couples' - opposite sex couples at that...it is all about a romantic break ;)

Bargainz
3rd March 2007, 10:32
No sorry Sandals is 'adult couples' only, over 18.

Sandals Beaches, yes you can take your children, but any age, so your moody teenagers would also be with somebody elses screaming babies!!!!

karen007
3rd March 2007, 10:37
I have just booked a holiday to Cuba. It is an all inclusive holiday, & for over 14's only. So good for your teens, but no screaming little ones. It is 'Superclubs Breezes - Jibacoa'. It is with Virgin - check out their website. In the tripadvisor website it has overall excellent reviews

Hummer
3rd March 2007, 11:31
You can go to Sandals as long as you are over 18.
Lots of Mothers and Daughters go.

Hummer
3rd March 2007, 11:38
No, I can't pay in full at the moment - about ?1000 short for Cuba, or ?1500 short for Jamaica. (Not Beaches cos the only reason to book with Sandals is the no kids policy - I work with them all day and love it, but I don't want to spend my hoiday with them!!)
I had planned to use the ?450 sig points to offset this, and could have saved the rest, but now need to completely rethink.

Think I need to earn Tesco points quickly this 1/4, and see what is left when I get May's vouchers in early June. Thanks for your help mate, rep on way.

Whats supposed to happen is your pick where you want to go and the Travel company are supposed to call Sandals to get your discounts, If you want to use your points against your Holiday I would call Sandals and research the booking procedure, you may also want to try Cosmos.

Don't forget though you can redeem your Signet points when you get there in the Spa or on a escapade and in the gift shop now also.

If your going to Jamaica do not book the Sandals inn its not even on a beach and like a mini prison, and do not go to the "flagship" montego bay its on the beach but also on the airport too.

Bargainz
3rd March 2007, 14:08
NO, mobay too lively for me. 1st choice would be the Royal Caribbean, but the newly refurbed grande ocho rios is cheaper.

At the mo, haven't got enough vouchers, so could be Cuba (at least the beach is gorgeous at the royal hicacos (not like the postage stamp at the Royal Bahamian, eh Hummer?))
Unfortunately you can't earn sig points at Cuba

Hummer
3rd March 2007, 19:48
NO, mobay too lively for me. 1st choice would be the Royal Caribbean, but the newly refurbed grande ocho rios is cheaper.

At the mo, haven't got enough vouchers, so could be Cuba (at least the beach is gorgeous at the royal hicacos (not like the postage stamp at the Royal Bahamian, eh Hummer?))
Unfortunately you can't earn sig points at Cuba

The Royal Bahamian is much better as it has a great beach on the private island. An 2 huge pools.
The Royal Caribbean has a private island but its not great. It does however have great staff and a theme meal outdoors every night. The staff in Jamaica are what makes it.
If your staying at the Royal as virgin(or whoever) to request the Kensington block for you on the reservation notes as its newly refurbished and has a lovely quite pool and beach, and you can walk over to the lively side anytime you like.
If I was going to Jamaica again I'd pick Negril or Ocho but MrsH wants to go back to the Royal she just loved it. If I went for 2 weeks I'd go first week Ocho or Negril second week the Royal as its right next to the airport. If you don't like planes taking off over your head avoid the Royal. They take off over the Royal and they land over the INN and they land and take off at Mo Bay.
Personally I'd pick Antigua as my next Sandals destination.

MajorieDawes
5th March 2007, 15:30
Does anybody know when Summer 2008 brochures tend to be published (Cosmos in particular)?

Gizmos
5th March 2007, 15:37
Does anybody know when Summer 2008 brochures tend to be published (Cosmos in particular)?

I would probably say about July time - keep checking on the Cosmos site as you can order brochures through there. I believe that you can probably book from the 2007 brochure (you can usually with most operators) and they will fact in prices accordingly.

SHELLY
21st May 2007, 16:34
I have priced a holiday to Kenya in December with Virgin it costs ?3300 the same holiday with Cosmos is ?4100 do you think if i phoned Cosmos they would do a price match even if im paying with deals vouchers.

Maverick
21st May 2007, 17:01
Probebley not, why not just book with Virgin the flights should be better anyway, and its a long flight.

headboard
21st May 2007, 18:22
I'm looking to book an all inc holiday to spain for a week at the start of the summer hols and phoned cosmos and XL.com, it will cost ?2252 in vouchers through cosmos for 2 adults and 2 kids. The EXACT same holiday on the same dates at the same hotel through XL.com is ?1428. XL told me that the price you see on the XL website is the price you pay in vouchers inclusive of all taxes and transfers. I don't think i'll be going with cosmos!!!

Anyone had any experiences with XL.com?

glo
21st May 2007, 23:21
I'm looking to book an all inc holiday to spain for a week at the start of the summer hols and phoned cosmos and XL.com, it will cost ?2252 in vouchers through cosmos for 2 adults and 2 kids. The EXACT same holiday on the same dates at the same hotel through XL.com is ?1428. XL told me that the price you see on the XL website is the price you pay in vouchers inclusive of all taxes and transfers. I don't think i'll be going with cosmos!!!

Anyone had any experiences with XL.com?
I am about to book with xl too. i was having difficulty finding a hotel for 2 adults, 2 children and 1 infant. Cosmos said i need 2 rooms, but XL can accomodate us in exactly the same hotel in just one room, saving a lot of money!!!

maleficent_mum
21st May 2007, 23:43
I found the same thing looking at a week all inclusive in Lanzarote next month - Cosmos is just over ?300.00 dearer with similar flight times and same hotel :confused:
plus with XL I can fly from Cardiff our local airport.

welshgirl78
29th July 2008, 20:41
Sorry - possibly a bit behind the times!!! :o

have just stumbled across this but can see no sign of XL elsewhere - do I assume Tesco no longer does deals with them?

Any answers much appreciated :)

Beej
29th July 2008, 20:46
No XL left last year, sorry.

rainbow
1st November 2008, 12:14
Does anyone know if you can book just flight only, or flydrive with Cosmos using Deals, or do you have to book accommodation as well?

sammybear
1st November 2008, 12:18
Does anyone know if you can book just flight only, or flydrive with Cosmos using Deals, or do you have to book accommodation as well?

Using deals hun you have to book accommodation as well.
S

rainbow
1st November 2008, 12:53
Ah thanks sammybear. It doesn't actually say that clearly on the additional info so wasn't sure if it could be done.

Beej
1st November 2008, 13:13
Rainbow I booked a Flydrive with Cosmos this year, I used my sisters villa for accomodation.

Georgie
1st November 2008, 13:29

When I was pricing up Virgin booking a flight, car and their cheapest accommodation was cheaper than booking just a fly-drive with Cosmos. :shocked::eek::shocked:

If you want to book a private villa, you might be better off booking Virgins most basic motel and then just not using the motel, as Virgins flights will be better than cosmos and you will get to use downtown disney check in, virgin v room (if you pay) etc.

I think someone else on here has done this.

Beej
1st November 2008, 13:36
I did look at Virgin but I couldn't get the dates I wanted, I found Cosmos to be fine and we booked our luggage in on I Drive.

pokealotup
1st November 2008, 14:10
Yes, we did a fly drive with Cosmos using our points this year to Florida and stayed at our own villa..... unfortunately you can't do flydrive with Virgin - only Taylor Made holidays / package.

Poke x

rainbow
1st November 2008, 16:24
Rainbow I booked a Flydrive with Cosmos this year, I used my sisters villa for accomodation.

That sounds great, thanks beej. :)

When I was pricing up Virgin booking a flight, car and their cheapest accommodation was cheaper than booking just a fly-drive with Cosmos. :shocked::eek::shocked:

If you want to book a private villa, you might be better off booking Virgins most basic motel and then just not using the motel, as Virgins flights will be better than cosmos and you will get to use downtown disney check in, virgin v room (if you pay) etc.

I think someone else on here has done this.

Thanks georgie, will run some comparisons :)

I did look at Virgin but I couldn't get the dates I wanted, I found Cosmos to be fine and we booked our luggage in on I Drive.

Can I ask where you checked in the luggage, Beej?

Yes, we did a fly drive with Cosmos using our points this year to Florida and stayed at our own villa..... unfortunately you can't do flydrive with Virgin - only Taylor Made holidays / package.

Poke x

Thankyou poke, seems it is definately possible then. Have just got back for a once only hoiday but have got the bug now......just want to start planning the next one now! Really fancy the private villa idea. :)

Beej
1st November 2008, 16:28
[QUOTE=rainbow;818780]
Can I ask where you checked in the luggage, Beej?

I can't explain really Rainbow but it was just on a side road off I'Drive, in a small unit. It was very convenient altho' we did have to queue for about 1 hour, I think that may have been because we were quite late getting there.

rainbow
1st November 2008, 16:57
Ah, thanks. It's great to offload the bags early to be free to enjoy the last hours. We got robbed of that last week at DTD as it was closed off. An armed robber had hijacked a bus that morning and demanded to be dropped off at Downtown - inconsiderate sod!

Georgie
1st November 2008, 17:34
Ah, thanks. It's great to offload the bags early to be free to enjoy the last hours. We got robbed of that last week at DTD as it was closed off. An armed robber had hijacked a bus that morning and demanded to be dropped off at Downtown - inconsiderate sod!

LOL. As you say these armed robbers no consideration for peoples holiday arrangements. :D

I wish I could remember who it was who had booked a cheappo motel with Virgin and just used the flights and car, but me memory is going. :(

I'm quite temped by this idea, but can't work out if I would need to hop over to the motel and just let them know that I wasn't going to be using it for the fortnight. Also the poster mentioned the particular motel which was the cheapest to book but I can't remember the name. :o

I think it might be a bit 'date dependent' as to if this works out cheaper than a fly-drive with Cosmos and also how bothered you are about charter v scheduled, flying into Sanford or Orlando International, etc.

sammybear
1st November 2008, 17:43
Using deals hun you have to book accommodation as well.
S

oops sorry rainbow i was thinking of virgin hols :o

the only thing you cant use your vouchers on fly drive is the car insurance with cosmos(although some have managed it )

It can work out cheaper booking with virgin at cheapo accommodation and not using it :)

S

rainbow
2nd November 2008, 13:57
Had a look at deals brochure and bottom of P13 it says you cannot do flight only. If thats the case, does anyone know if you can do Flydrive, but without accommodation? Has anyone done this, or would we have to book the full package, and just not use the accommodation? I can't seem to get a price for this online, as a Flydrive quote always brings up the accommodation as well.

Beej
2nd November 2008, 14:04
Rainbow I booked a Flydrive to Florida with Cosmos this year, didn't take the car and didn't have any problems. I do know if you book with Virgin you have to book accomodation for every night of your stay but I know people have booked the cheapest hotel available and just not used it.

rainbow
2nd November 2008, 14:10
Thanks again Beej. I suppose it might be dependant as usual on who you get on the phone. We won't be booking for a while yet, so plenty of time, but just looking at all the options. :)

akh46
6th November 2008, 10:58
I am looking at booking either a Cosmos or Virgin holiday next year for myself and my sister.

Do the deals come with your name on?

I will be paying for myself with deals (just over half of the price) and my sister will be paying cash. Will this cause any problems having different surnames?

Thanks

sammybear
6th November 2008, 11:05
yes deals come with surnames on, if you are both travelling though it should be ok.

taffy2
6th November 2008, 20:29
Anybody booked recently with Cosmos.
How did they quote you the cost.
Last year when we booked said we had to go with brochure price not internet.
Got the Distant Dreams brochure 2 weeks ago posted from Cosmos date valid from August 08 / November 09.
The prices in there are a lot cheaper that whats up on the web page, will they quote me from the brochure lol.
Am i able to pay 1/2 in deals the rest on credit card, rather than debit card for security reasons of going bust