PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Goats In Garden

Gizmos
21st September 2008, 17:35
Is it legal?? Someone on our estate has them and cockerels and the noise early morning is amazing.

Thought with Foot and Mouth DEFRA had clamped down and that you needed licences for animals such as these.

tiger
21st September 2008, 17:40
I think it depends on the distance from any house so in an average size garden then it's probably not.

Floosy
21st September 2008, 17:42
Unless someone on here can help you, I can always ask my dad who is very good friends with a farmer... They may be able to give you some idea.

Gizmos
21st September 2008, 17:44
cheers folks - all the gardens are close and about 10m across so not that far from each other - no smell just flippin noisy - cocks crowing at 4am

Littlemissjojo
21st September 2008, 18:01
I'm sure there's a line in there somewhere about the neighbours cock getting you up at 4 in the morning.......:p

janice mac
21st September 2008, 18:25
when we bought our first house the neighbours had goats, cockerels, chickens the lot.

The goat was handy as we used to borrow it to cut our grass! Chickens laid lovely eggs and the cockerel although noisy made us feel very countryfied - we were about 1/2 mile from the runway at heathrow! If they keep them clean dont think there is a problem, as you say re f and m things may have changed

sweetiepie's mum
21st September 2008, 19:06
We used to have a goat when I was a teenager. I don't know if the law has changed regarding keeping them now though! She died through some weeds she cleared we think, poor thing! She was lovely.

Floosy
21st September 2008, 19:08
Get enviromental health onto it, if its the noise that bothers you they can always warn them its unsociable etc.

clyindus
21st September 2008, 19:15
Have a look on the defra website, (http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/id-move/sheep-goats/index.htm) it seems even pets need to be registered, and there are strict guidelines for moving them.

samesizedfeet
21st September 2008, 19:21
Keeping one goat is probably classed as a pet, but they do still have to register the animal with DEFRA as it's movements need to be tracked, Even if it's just in the garden all the time it'll need pre-registering in case of being moved to a vet etc.

One thing to be wary of is goats get very lonely. They like to have a pal to have a chat with and frollick around. There's a chance that he/she will make their escape at some point in search of company. And they're not bound by the laws of property and gate usage so they'll go whichever way looks easiest including over fences, through lounges, across motorways.

I don't think the chickens/cockerel have to be registered - it's quite common round my way and I've been hankering after an Eglu myself.
http://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/shop.php?cat=Eglu&sub=Chickens

joload
21st September 2008, 20:30
OMG you seen the price!! at first i thought it was an animal loo.... Eglu then i looked into it OMG!!

samesizedfeet
21st September 2008, 20:40
yes - the price is the bit I can't justify.

It would take years to break even over the cost of just buying eggs

I could just never eat that many eggs - and I doubt they could lay that many either

*debbie*
22nd September 2008, 07:36
We have just got some chickens, one each for the kids as pets as much as anything, though the eggs will be useful! We bought a coop with a run attached from a local suppl;ier who also sells on ebay and it was ?150. There were cheaper ones, but they weren't as animal friendly, after all, they are sentient beings. Once you have the coop that is the main cost - food and straw are as cheap as chips.

All we are waiting for is the eggs now! The birds are great, with totally different personalities. They arrived last weekend and started wandering around the garden squarking (sp?) really loudly and I was very worried as everyone I'd asked said they were quiet!! Once they had been here for about an hour they settled down to the occasional quiet chirp every now and again, it is a greeting you kind of noise so lovely to hear.

mmm
22nd September 2008, 07:42
To move a goat you need to fill in a license & send part of it away to your local animal health office. DEFRA need to know where all goat/sheep/pigs/cattle etc are by using passports ( cattle) & licenses incase an out break of foot & mouth/blue tongue etc starts up . You also need to keep dates, times etc of movements written down as tehy come & check them

Its really hard work of keeping track etc as when you've move an animal on to your holding you cant move another off for 7 days unless its going to slaughter.

If you've more than 50 hens you also have to register with DEFRA.

frexy
22nd September 2008, 07:59
Do you have any covenants on your land, these can be quite strict, I know we cannot keep pigs or pigeons on ours,;) plus the local Authority can have their own byelaws.

rainbow
22nd September 2008, 08:03
:lol: I know we couldn't do it now, but we once borrowed a goat from a friend and kept it in our shed/back garden overnight. It was for a charity event I was involved in, and people had to buy a square that the goat would *drop* in when it was let loose on the area of the field we were using. Nobody told me that goats drop continually - it was like a dripping tap! :shocked:

He was so friendly and the kids loved him. He came into the kitchen for a mooch around if we left the door open. :) Got out grass cut out of it though, and I hope the milkman has now recovered from the shock he got when he came in the back gate in the early hours! :D

holliemon
22nd September 2008, 08:16
How old is the house you live in? Check your pre-registration deeds (you should have these even if you have a mortgage) and there may be a clause regarding what pets you are allowed to have. In lots of properties their deeds stipulate no animails but dog cat etc

Gizmos
22nd September 2008, 08:23
will have a look - although our house was not built at the same time as the ones we think the goat is in - we are not sure of the exact house

holliemon
22nd September 2008, 08:31
As they were not all built together the covenants on land maybe different. When you find out the house you can ask the Land Registry for a copy of the Title Information Doc (its called something like that now - used to be Land Certificate/Charge Certificate) and the covenants will be mentioned on that

Gizmos
22nd September 2008, 08:33
will go up in the loft and look out the velux tonight if its not too dark - goat spotting .....

hydro
22nd September 2008, 08:44
Our neighbours (new last year) now keeps goats, ducks, chickens, cockerels and peacocks. It's the peacocks that are noisiest but I've got around it in my head by having the mental image of India (where I saw and heard loads when we were on holiday there) and also by buying the lovely hens and duck eggs direct from her.

So now it doesn't bother me at all. It did take a bit of getting used to, but they don't even wake me up now. The secret I think, is to relax and then the brain has a way of filtering the noise.

Funny, cos as I'm typing this the cockerel is crowing and I'm just going to have a lovely fresh poached egg for breakfast!

indy
22nd September 2008, 10:07
to keep goats and other cloven footed animals you need a holding number you also need to record if you sell or move them to a differnt holding defra can check this for you they will also check on the animal welfare for you
we used to keep afew sheep and pigs but stopped a few years back due to all the new paper work and regulations wasnt worth all the hasel which was a shame as we liked producing our own organic free range food .