PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on getting rid of cat fleas?

fairygirl
21st September 2008, 20:48
Our kitten is 13 weeks old and doesn't obviously go outside yet so stupidly we assumed fleas wouldn't be a problem just yet and so haven't put a collar on him or anything like that. However he's been scratching a lot and we've noticed quite a few on him so obviously he already had them when he came to us or he managed to get them in the 30 seconds of contact he had with another cat! I'm going to get him some things tommorrow but don't really know where to start (this is my first kitten!) if anyone has any advice on the best and most gentle/kindest things to use on little Gizmo I would be very grateful.

Gizmos
21st September 2008, 20:49
if anyone has any advice on the best and most gentle/kindest things to use on little Gizmo I would be very grateful.

ermmmm please note this is not me - I don't think I have fleas!!!!! rushes off to check - errm any volunters

Floosy
21st September 2008, 20:50
See what your vet advises you to use and make sure in the cold weather, that indoors the little blighters are not breeding in your carpet. Might be an idea to get acclaim spray and treat your house too.

SUSIEQ
21st September 2008, 20:52
I haven't had a cat for 15 years, but remember we always had tot use flea collars, which seemed to do the trick.
Good luck!

susieq

fairygirl
21st September 2008, 20:54
ermmmm please note this is not me - I don't think I have fleas!!!!! rushes off to check - errm any volunters

LOL, I believe you, thousands wouldn't!

I feel really awful watchin him scratch, i know he'll hate me for it but does anyone think bathing him would sooth him a little bit for now?

numpty
21st September 2008, 20:56
You can get frontline and indorex ( house spray) online, alot cheaper than vets. Frontline is the best to kill and repel fleas and Indorex is so good it kills house dust mites and stops flea eggs hatching for upto A YEAR in your home!
Also a flea comb will help, then drown them in water!

http://www.kill-fleas.co.uk/indorex.htm

Miss Wetwipe
21st September 2008, 20:57
http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-194-frontline-spot-on-for-cats.aspx

That's the stuff you want! Only available from vets or vet stores online. Not the cheapest of products but 100% does the trick. My kittens both got fleas and I bought everything from the sprays to the powder to the collars and nothing worked apart from this!

Deedee
21st September 2008, 20:58
A massive hungry dog!! lol

mhoc
21st September 2008, 20:59
Yes daily combing is a must, even if they hate it. Our two have speical collars that have 12 month flea protection - seen thes eon ebay, about ?7.50 but needed.

I seem to think you can also get injections from the vet but I think these you need every 3 months.

Sadly if you have cats fleas are ineviatable

kenziekoo
21st September 2008, 21:08
frontline for the cat, most decent vets will tell you it is virtually impossible to get rid of fleas bar burning your house down- not adviseable!! fleas live in most houses but only really effect animals so regardless if your animal has been outside or not you should protect the little kitten!! we have loadsa probelms with our westie, hegets one flea from somewhere and he is bleeding, scratching and furless, all part of thefun of having animals.... pet insurance very adviseable!!!!

numpty
21st September 2008, 21:10
frontline for the cat, most decent vets will tell you it is virtually impossible to get rid of fleas bar burning your house down- not adviseable!! fleas live in most houses but only really effect animals so regardless if your animal has been outside or not you should protect the little kitten!! we have loadsa probelms with our westie, hegets one flea from somewhere and he is bleeding, scratching and furless, all part of thefun of having animals.... pet insurance very adviseable!!!!
Cheap at tescos! Can use CC vouchers to pay for it too, but sadly only 1x value and not 4!

scrapples
21st September 2008, 21:12
frontline is the best product IMO,i know its expensive but its better than wasting money on cheaper products and find they dont work and end up buying frontline in the end anyway :)

Becles
21st September 2008, 22:03
Frontline worked on my dog when he caught fleas off another dog.

It's very important to treat your home as well as they can live in carpets, bedding, soft furnishings etc., and jump back onto your cat after he's been treated. I bought a tin of stuff called RIP Fleas and that worked. I loved the name :D

The sprays do smell strong though, so do it with the windows open and take care if you have asthma or anything like that. The smell goes within an hour or so.

hflower74
21st September 2008, 22:13
If your kitten has fleas then theres a good chance it could also get worms. (trust me you do NOT wanna go there!!) As they get worms by eating a flea which they could do while grooming themselves.
IF you have an appointment at the vets soon for his injections and then to have him neutered you could get advice about keeping your kitten flea and worm free too.

glo
21st September 2008, 22:53
I am reading this with interest as our kitten is also 13 weeks old. Any suggestions on pet insurance please? Is this normally covered too?

montygingercat
21st September 2008, 23:42
We also use Frontline on our cats, it really is the best on the market.

pookienoodle
22nd September 2008, 10:47
I also recommend frontline.
we had terrible problems in our last house,they got everywhere via the carpets.
tried lots of things then our vet recommended frontline including the spray for the house.
it was expensive but did the trick.

cyberbob1uk
22nd September 2008, 11:08
Frontline and Bob Martin flea killers are great, but I've found the best option is a tablet.

Johnsons 4 Fleas - Within 15 minutes of ingestion, the fleas start to die and after an hour, there will not be a live flea on your cat

They're not cheap (about ?6 for 4 tablets), but they work with amazing speed.

numpty
22nd September 2008, 11:16
Frontline and Bob Martin flea killers are great, but I've found the best option is a tablet.

Johnsons 4 Fleas - Within 15 minutes of ingestion, the fleas start to die and after an hour, there will not be a live flea on your cat

They're not cheap (about ?6 for 4 tablets), but they work with amazing speed.

Flea tablet are good but don't last very long, you have to give a tablet everyday! :eek: Also they are abit harsh on kittens tummies, not fun clearing that up!
Better to treat with frontline spot on once a month:)

numpty
22nd September 2008, 11:17
I am reading this with interest as our kitten is also 13 weeks old. Any suggestions on pet insurance please? Is this normally covered too?

Tesco was the cheapest for my three kittens :)

pookienoodle
22nd September 2008, 11:24
make sure if you buy pet insurance you get on that covers medical conditions for the life of the policy NOT just for 12 months.
It can work very expensive if you pet develoes a chronic condition.

fairygirl
22nd September 2008, 11:56
Many thanks for all the advice, seems frontline is a clear winner so will give this a try later. Sorry i've run out of reps right now, will give some more tommorrow.

VeryTrying
22nd September 2008, 20:47
I get mine here

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3&zenid=a886d8f12448c8aab26fe516ec3dfd4c

I buy the Frontline for the animals, and Acclaim spray for the house. I don't really like using the spray because it kills off EVERYTHING ...... including spiders which I quite like having about :)

janedoe
22nd September 2008, 21:43
Frontline at our vets is ?18 per shot which lasts about 3 months, I have some industrial strength spray which has lasted a lifetime of spraying the cats and the house which I purchased from the vets originally not sure how much as it was uears ago but does the trick.

mutley muppet
23rd September 2008, 09:13
Another vote for Frontline here. I also find vetuk the cheapest, I buy some of my dog food from there.
I'm lucky (touch wood) my dogs never get fleas but if they did I would use frontline.
I also think hoovering everyday without fail helps as it doesnt give fleas opportunity to breed & lay eggs in you carpet. :)
Good luck!
MM x