PDA

View Full Version : Smoke alarm help needed

clockwatcher
25th September 2008, 11:01
Can anyone help me please? We've got a smoke alarm which is wired into the mains, and it keeps squawking. I didn't realise at first that it was mains powered - I only discovered this when i opened it up to replace the battery. When i press the test button, it seems to work fine, but then squawks every minute or so afterwards. We don't have an instruction leaflet for it, unfortunately - we seem to have instructions and guarantees for every appliance that has ever been in the house except the smoke alarms! I've tried vacuuming the outside of it, and blowing into it in case there was some dust in the chamber, but I don't know what else to try.

Please :help: - it's driving me up the wall! :mad:

baffled
25th September 2008, 11:30
Is there a 'hepline' or manufacturers 'phone no. anywhere in or on it?

B..

Ladyshopper
25th September 2008, 11:32
Clockwatcher I've got exactly the same problem, have ended up having to switch off at the mains which really isn't ideal. I'm sure it must have battery back up somwhere, but I cannot for the life of me find it.

clockwatcher
25th September 2008, 11:36
No, but thanks for getting me to look again - I've discovered there is a battery compartment, presumably as back-up for if the power fails, so I'll see about replacing that and see if it helps.

Thanks, Baffled and Ladyshopper

Emmamed
25th September 2008, 11:36
could the new batteries u put in it be dead?? so its still trying to tell u to replace them. if you are still worried you can get the fire brigade to come out and check them out. more info can be found at http://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/safetyfaq.php#4

red devil
25th September 2008, 11:39
Found this info on the fire service page.

1. My smoke detectors are bleeping indicating a low battery, but are mains wired ?
Smoke Alarms which are wired to the mains supply are also known as hard wired. All these smoke alarms still have a battery which needs to be checked and replaced if required. The reason that mains Smoke Alarms have batteries, is so they continue to work and protect, even if there is a power cut.

link here

http://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/safetyfaq.php#1

Hannah2
25th September 2008, 11:39
I had the opposite problem, I knew mine were mains powered and couldnt understand why they kept "squawking" (good description by the way!).

Was only when it started happening every 10 seconds or so, typically after midnight one night, that I started investigating (due to being unable to sleep).

Turned out there was a battery backup. DOH. and it was this that needed replacing.

Managed to find a spare battery and change it but felt really bad as I had been in the house for 4 years and not changed the battery :o

Needless to say, the other two were changed the next day too.

The battery was obvious to see once the alarm had been opened but it took me nearly an hour to work out that the cover of the alarm needed to slide half way off before pulling down (on a hinge). I was trying to either pull it off totally or slide it all the way, not both in one movement! Took me forever to open up which was a nightmare up a ladder on my own with the darn thing "squawking" every 10 seconds.

Sorry, not being very helpful but hope you manage to sort it out.

:)

EDIT: Ooops, seems you worked it out whilst I was slowly typing my reply! New battery should stop it squawking.

BritBrat
25th September 2008, 20:57
Give it a vacuum out while you are changing the battery.

Ladyshopper
25th September 2008, 21:30
I only wish I could find the battery in mine to replace, it has to be somewhere. :(