PDA

View Full Version : Please help, complete novice at e-bay!

angelbee
6th October 2008, 14:26
I only joined paypal last night:eek:.
I bid on my first item last night but was out bid.
The seller is giving me a second chance to buy the item.
I tried to pay with paypal but it just says seller cannot accept paypal at the moment:confused:
I emailed seller and he said to given him my e-mail address and he will invoice me, sorry to sound thick but should I do this? and will I just pay through paypal when he invoices me?
Thanks for your help:).

rainbowhope
6th October 2008, 14:36
......I would consider that a BIG NO....you wont get paypal protection if you
go outside their system to pay.
....I'd report them...for trying to go outside the ebay system..that is breaking the rules.

Emmamed
6th October 2008, 16:32
the seller can state on their invoice its an ebay item and they can even put the item number in, so you would be covered.

angelic
6th October 2008, 16:43
I only joined paypal last night:eek:.
I bid on my first item last night but was out bid.
The seller is giving me a second chance to buy the item.
I tried to pay with paypal but it just says seller cannot accept paypal at the moment:confused:
I emailed seller and he said to given him my e-mail address and he will invoice me, sorry to sound thick but should I do this? and will I just pay through paypal when he invoices me?
Thanks for your help:).

If the seller has a problem with his PayPal account I would be very wary and would steer clear.
The fact you got a message saying selller cannot accept PayPal, means his account is likely frozen (inaccessible) due to another buyer having logged a dispute :(

Yes he can invoice you through PayPal, but not sure how he can do so if the message said he couldn't accept payment at the moment?

Pesronally I would move on and find the same item from another seller :)

Tuckerpoo
6th October 2008, 16:57
It may be that the winning bidder encounted the same problem so he may be trying to get the item sold outside of the Paypal system. I would personally steer clear hun. ;)

angelbee
6th October 2008, 18:14
Thanks so much for all your replies and advice, will rep you all :D

angelbee
6th October 2008, 18:20
Can I ask it still says on my e-bay account I've got one payment outstanding because of this item, do I just leave it?
I won't get negative feedback already will I?

Emmamed
6th October 2008, 18:25
Can I ask it still says on my e-bay account I've got one payment outstanding because of this item, do I just leave it?
I won't get negative feedback already will I?

yes it will disappear as the 2nd chance offer will only be valid for a few days. buyers can no longer get neg feedback.

angelbee
6th October 2008, 18:27
Thanks Emmamed :D, have repped you :love:

angelbee
8th October 2008, 14:32
Today i have just received a e-mail from the seller at my hotmail address invoicing me for the amount.
I never gave him my email address. Does this mean he is safe to buy from?
Sorry I'm absolutely a novice:o.

Emmamed
8th October 2008, 14:33
sellers would have all their buyers emails the same as buyers can get to see their sellers email.

angelbee
8th October 2008, 14:38
Thanks emma I'm such a :der::doh:.
I think I will just ignore the request for payment as I've since purchased the same from someone else :D.

angelic
8th October 2008, 14:44
Glad you have managed to buy same item from another seller :)

You can just delete the seller's invoice, I wouldn't deal with anyone who had PayPal probs ;)

angelbee
8th October 2008, 16:02
Thanks for your advice Angelic :smile:

Freebird
8th October 2008, 16:09
Did you actually commit to buy the second chance offer? Just asking because if not, then you can ignore it. If you did, then you need to ask the seller if he'll do a cancellation or it will stay on your system as being unpaid. You can no longer get negs from sellers so don't worry about that.

Ref the paypal problem, I agree that it sounds dodgy, but it could be genuine and as long as the invoice comes via your paypal account and includes the ebay reference number, then you would have been covered by PP.

Happy ebaying :)

janedoe
8th October 2008, 16:13
Angelbee I think that you might have a dispute on your hands, when he sent the second chance offer did you accept as it sounds like you did if you tried to pay for the item and then found his account unable to accept payments, I would email him now and tell him you have purchased the item elsewhere he may still put it into dispute to get his fees back through ebay and he can do a mutual agreement so you don't get a strike against your account.

heatherks
8th October 2008, 16:37
did the seller who offered you 2 nd chance offer.... have a lot of previous feedback .....it might be as he says a problem with him not accepting paypal

..my brother had ebay for years and he had to email a few buyers to pay into a differnt email address ... turned out he had recently changed his address on ebay but not paypal ....so couldnt accept payments till it was sorted

angelbee
8th October 2008, 16:59
You've all got me worried now :eek::help:
I did accept the second chance offer and then when I tried to pay through paypal it said the seller cannot accept payment at this time - I did try a few times to pay him/her.
The e-mailed invoice I got today just came through on my hotmail account and not through e-bay.
The seller did have good feed back.
If I go through to my paypal account and it's there would it be safe to proceed and will I be covered? I don't want a dispute I've only just started e-baying. Please help :pray:

angelbee
8th October 2008, 17:14
I've just checked and there is no sign of anything on my paypal account, the only place the invoice occurs is in my hotmail account :confused: :help:

janedoe
8th October 2008, 17:21
It will be just showing in your email account as it's like a personal request for money and not through ebay, don't worry about a dispute as previously mention he can't give you a neg feedback but you could get a strike on your account but I think it's 3 before ebay suspend your account, email him and say that you have bought elsewhere and ask him to do a mutual agreement on the dispute and then you won't get a strike and he gets his fees back.

angelbee
8th October 2008, 17:57
Thanks janedoe, I have e-mailed e-bay to clarify it.

Freebird
8th October 2008, 18:00
Ummmm....don't expect a reply from ebay....you'll be retired before you get one!

Just email the seller as suggsted and ask him to do a mutual. Even if he gets funny with you and goes for an NPB, it's nothing to worry about as a strike only stays on your record about a month I think and unless you get 2 more, it won't affect you.

angelic
8th October 2008, 20:43
It will be just showing in your email account as it's like a personal request for money and not through ebay, don't worry about a dispute as previously mention he can't give you a neg feedback but you could get a strike on your account but I think it's 3 before ebay suspend your account, email him and say that you have bought elsewhere and ask him to do a mutual agreement on the dispute and then you won't get a strike and he gets his fees back.

It used to be 3 strikes on your account before suspension, but not anymore so no worries Angelbee.
Strike rule is not entirely clear now -
If a buyer gets too many strikes within a short period, their account will be suspended indefinitely. In some cases, limits may be placed on the buyer’s account in advance of suspension.

angelbee
8th October 2008, 20:55
Thanks angelic, I feel like a naughty school girl :lol:

angelic
8th October 2008, 23:32
Thanks angelic, I feel like a naughty school girl :lol:

Don't worry :) If it is any consolation, my first Ebay purchase was a total nightmare - I was mad enough to buy from a US buyer - (talk about going in with both feet!) who turned out to be the seller from hell :shocked:

99% of Ebay sellers are lovely and I can honestly say I can count on both hands the problem transactions I have had in the past 8 years since :)

angelbee
9th October 2008, 09:07
Thanks again angelic for all your help :love: :hug:

BritBrat
9th October 2008, 15:18
I normally only buy from UK although I did buy a PAP2 VOIP device from China but it all went OK.

I like to use "www.goofbay.com" I set my maximum bid and set it to bid in the last 10 secs and forget about it, if I win I win if I lose I move on to the next item. I have lost items that went for £10 when I have only bid £2 but then later won the same item at the price I wanted to pay.

angelbee
9th October 2008, 17:04
Well the problem is solved, thanks everyone who gave great advice.
E-bay contacted me in response to my e-mail and I finally paid through e-bay and paypal :D.
I will give them to my mum :D - if I receive them :lol: sorry I'm pessimistic :o.