PDA

View Full Version : have you been putting the heating on

kay122
6th October 2008, 14:32
I have just put the heating on dh come in from work moaning its not cold i said i am cold i have sat down and feel the cold more he said you will be moaning when the bill comes so what i work i am not been cold we have only been putting it on a night for a hour he says i put it on in the day he loves to moan what is your husbands like
kay

nixx
6th October 2008, 14:34
lol if I want the heating on (and if we have some gas - prepayment), then I put it on. If he wants it on, so does he. We both pay into the house, so we both have a say.

I even had a hot water bottle on my knee on the sofa last night!

littlemissnaughty
6th October 2008, 14:37
OMG we must have the same husband! Mine is exactly the same. I managed to sneak the heating on for an hour last night but only because dh was poorly in bed :eek:

nixx
6th October 2008, 14:44
I used to have one like that too!

meemo38
6th October 2008, 14:44
Yup, mines on now, cos i am cold, for me its just one thing i have to have, DH doesnt feel the cold as much as me but seeing as i deal with the bills he just leaves me to it LOL

Fat Cat
6th October 2008, 14:55
Mine is okay about putting it on - we have a 3 year old so it needs to be warm for him too x

far canel
6th October 2008, 14:55
As a member of the male species (well I was last time I looked), I can say 'YES' its not too cold to put heating on during the day. I complain to my wife that she heats the whole house for one person. :behindsofa:

littlemissnaughty
6th October 2008, 15:01
Mine is okay about putting it on - we have a 3 year old so it needs to be warm for him too x

I have a 3 year old but that doesn't mean my dh lets me put the heating on, can I swap hubbies with you ;)

As a member of the male species (well I was last time I looked), I can say 'YES' its not too cold to put heating on during the day. I complain to my wife that she heats the whole house for one person. :behindsofa:

See a typical bloke!!!! So what is wrong with wanting to have a warm house for one person? :D

ploppy
6th October 2008, 15:04
Had mine for an hour this morning, just to warm up the dining room as I have to work in here all day and as its an extension it is very cold!!:(
We sat watching TV on Saturday night with a blanket and hot water bottle.:D
I have big furry slippers and a nice fleec dressing gown. No way I'm putting the heat on properly yet.

Deedee
6th October 2008, 15:04
I put it on today, but turned all the rads off upstairs and in the dining room!

holliemon
6th October 2008, 15:14
Its the opposite way round for us. OH is always saying put the heating on and I am saying not yet it will be on til March.

OH serviced the boiler on Sat so it is on now for winter morning and night. If it gets warm again I will be turning the thermostat down.

I work in the study and I have a portable radiator which I put on so I am just warming up that room.

bellab
6th October 2008, 15:17
I've been using my heating and fire for a couple of weeks now. Its blooming freezing lol! x

jamsandwhich
6th October 2008, 15:42
I have 2 one yr olds and we are trying to aclimatise them to conditions similar to antarntica by putting them near the open freezer and placing ice cubes in their pockets so that when the winter comes and we don't have the heating on they will feel all toasty.

Mrs Lady C
6th October 2008, 15:56
I have been putting the heating on for about a week now, if my oh wants the heating on he puts it on the same can be said for me. :D:D:D

weimaranermerlin
6th October 2008, 16:18
My husband will sneak the heating on permanent as soon as I turn my back! :eek: And then I catch im walking around in shorts all year long...

Same with the electricity.. He has alll his gadgets constantly on stand-by and leaves the lights on everywhere - it just doesn't sink in!!! :der:

addictedtosaving
6th October 2008, 16:25
My OH is exactly the same. If I'm cold I put the heating on but he says I should but a cardigan or jumper on.:rolleyes: I do what I always do and ignore him. :D:nono:

kay122
6th October 2008, 16:32
My OH is exactly the same. If I'm cold I put the heating on but he says I should but a cardigan or jumper on.:rolleyes: I do what I always do and ignore him. :D:nono:

yes mine says put a cardigan on i said i have one on never at to wear one befor but with the price of the heating i may have to get a thicker one got thick black tights on too my dh says we can snuggle up in bed haha
kay

Floosy
6th October 2008, 16:35
Got rid of the husband and turn the heating on when I like LMAO

charlotsofun
6th October 2008, 16:38
i have been putting the heating on for about a week now in the morning and then at night.
i have been going on the wii fit to keep myself warm through the day that hoolahooping cant half make you sweat.

Donpacifico
6th October 2008, 16:39

:D:D

kay122
6th October 2008, 16:44
:D:D

He would not go lol
kay

haley
6th October 2008, 16:50
My DH would just leave it on all day, but it's me that deals with the finances and the gas price is shocking!! I am sitting in the conservatory it's lovely and warm while the sun is shining, but it's freezing in the house. Have been putting the heating on for about 2 hours a night only, going to be a long cold winter me thinks, x

Ladyshopper
6th October 2008, 17:09
No, not put it on. We have been putting extra layers on instead. My bill from moving in in Dec last year and Feb was over 250, and that was only a couple of months! :eek:

Trying to hang on as long as possible.

clematis45
6th October 2008, 17:12

sounds like the best idea all round really :clap2:

Mamzie
6th October 2008, 20:32
dh keeps telling me to put it on for me and the kids, and I keep turning it off.

Actually spent today looking at multi fuel stoves, so hoping to get one asap.

MrsTom
6th October 2008, 21:06
I got my letter from E-on 2 weeks ago with the new prices - Its going to cost me an extra 30+ a month so the heating is not going on at the moment.

If anyone is cold they have to put a jumper on!

shoppaholic45
6th October 2008, 21:12
i put it on this morning it was freezing, i get more cold than most people.

chelseatom
6th October 2008, 21:21
sweet baby jesus and the orphans just whack the heating on

chelseatom
6th October 2008, 21:22
i put it on this morning it was freezing, i get more cold than most people.
why? are you special?

princesskerry
6th October 2008, 21:32
OH has set the heating to come on at 7pm and go off at 10.30pm, I had actually been putting more layers on and just went into the bathroom where I actually thought I was in Barbados :eek:, the radiator has now been turned right down as have all the others in the house.:D
Not put it on during the day yet, the new house has cavity wall insulation so I am really hoping that will help bills. The extension lets the house down as the insulation there isn't good with no cavity wall and little loft insulation.

janice mac
6th October 2008, 21:36
heating is on! DH is currently bleeding one of the rads in the living room

Mrs Lady C
6th October 2008, 21:38
why? are you special?

I think shoppa means that she feels the cold more than most, some people do. :):):)

sandhabibi
6th October 2008, 21:44
I had on my facebook that I was tempted to put heated on and was called tight for not putting it on lol. If yr cold put warmer clothes on. I put it on for about 15mins which heats whole house then leave it down low. If you are just sat around you will feel the cold more so run upstairs a couple times lol.

jamsandwhich
6th October 2008, 22:14
I have had it on a constant 17 degrees for a week. It fires up five or six times a day for 15-30 mins and keeps the chill off the house and a nice constant temperature, I think this is one of the most efficient ways of heating a house as you don't have to heat a cold house from scratch.

Miss Wetwipe
6th October 2008, 22:14
I don't like being too warm but DH likes it like a sauna! :(

The worst arguments are about the bedroom - he likes a toasty bedroom but I like to see my breath and snuggle up under the duvet.

mutley muppet
6th October 2008, 23:13
I have been feeling cold but am worried about bills so have been wrapped up in a blanket with an extra dog on the sofa! :D
MM x

chelseatom
6th October 2008, 23:14

The worst arguments are about the bedroom - he likes a toasty bedroom but I like to see my breath and snuggle up under the duvet.
i love to have windows open at night yet as you say snuggle under duvet but no, other half would rather have it like barbados in the bedroom

sunflower
6th October 2008, 23:22
Not needed it yet, but have resorted to big chunky cardigan and we do have some lovely big soft warm throws on the sofa. I highly recommend a throw/blanket as you can tuck yourself up from your toes to your neck if needs be.

beltabout
7th October 2008, 08:34
we have a multi fuel burner that heats the radiators as well - its always a bit of a pain this time of year as there is no such thing as just 'switching' it on - lit the fire last night as i was home a bit earlier and it was chilly but let it go out so its not on today.

ordered my first load of coal at the weekend for this winter and was pleasantly surprised it hasn't gone up as much as some fuels - but we are going to try and burn less coal and more logs etc this year and see if that helps keep the costs down

was thinking of changing it to gas last year for the sake of simplicity but glad we didn't now.

aks11
7th October 2008, 08:38
same case here too...
i reduce the temp and he increases it...

shoppaholic45
7th October 2008, 10:39
I think shoppa means that she feels the cold more than most, some people do. :):):)

I do mean that thanks couponlady for explaining it better than me :D
My oh doesn't get cold like me, when im cold he is nice and warm. So when heating is on hes really hot.

dizzy_shopper
7th October 2008, 10:44
Saturday 4th we gave in and turned it on. Well in fact it was hubby I was up for holding out a bit longer and the kids hadn't complained. I'm quite glad we did though it's on low and has just taken the edge off.

chelseatom
7th October 2008, 10:55
omg i woke up sweating like a pig this morning, i forgot to turn heating off lat night, omg was roasting

dizzy_shopper
7th October 2008, 10:57
omg i woke up sweating like a pig this morning, i forgot to turn heating off lat night, omg was roasting

Oh Poor you, I hate that! I would have a headache all day if I did that. hope you are OK.

princesskerry
7th October 2008, 13:03
i love to have windows open at night yet as you say snuggle under duvet but no, other half would rather have it like barbados in the bedroom

Likewise would love to have all the windows open, especially in a storm but OH reckons he cant sleep as can hear any cars going past (we live in a cul de sac and I dont think I have heard one single car come up here at night :doh:). I do put my dressing gown over my side of the bed on top of my duvet if I am a bit cold as cant get used to wearing night clothes and sometimes end up freezing even under the duvet.:D

KittyKat
7th October 2008, 13:11
I've turned the temp down at the boiler as oh always buts the heating on full blast to 30 odd we had one bill last winter for 400 for 3 months don't want another one of those. I saw an ad in a catalogue for a snuggle robe its a bit like a dressing gown its hooded and goes over your head and is longer so like a robe and a blanket I'm thinking of getting him one of those lol!

Mamzie
7th October 2008, 13:22
Ours was 450, and I think the prices have gone up by 49.5%, no way am I paying 700 odd...

Really trying to cut down on energy (tip, charge lappies when visiting relatives)

chelseatom
7th October 2008, 13:36
Oh Poor you, I hate that! I would have a headache all day if I did that. hope you are OK.
nope i feel rubbish, have just had a 2 hour sleep (with windows open lol)

charlie123
7th October 2008, 21:03
so glad someone started a thread on this, as I kept meaning to. :)

I've held out for as long as possible as once it goes on there is no going back I find. Did cave in on friday as i was freezing, ran it for 1 hour in the evening. Over the weekend it went on again.

Hubby thinks I am mean, as he wants it on now, but it is no way cold enough. It is finally sinking in that heating will have to be used wisely as the costs are gonna be huge this year. I think alot of people will be wearing extra layers this year and thermostats turned down a few degrees. lets all hope it isn't a cold one this year.

nettie_b
8th October 2008, 14:10
am lucky have cavity wall insulation and a fairly new heating system, which means house in pretty warm in 10 mins so it goes down then.

do need to get curtain up though and a door back on porch!

janedoe
8th October 2008, 14:27
My OH thinks that we shouldn't have heating at all and if your cold to put more layers on, I only work PT so I do hold out as long as poss in the winter before putting it on usually about 4pm and then it goes off at 10pm and we never have it on at night and if OH is cold at night he will put a sleeping bag on top of the quilt in the winter and then I get too hot and end up throwing it off onto his side, but we have managed not to put it on at all yet and hopefully won't do it till me and the kids come back from holidays at the beginning of Nov when I know it will be colder and coming from a nice warm country we will feel it.

Ladyshopper
9th December 2008, 13:00
Just been having a discussion with someone about heating, who says it is cheaper to have it on all the time on a lower setting, than to have it come on and off a couple of times a day.

Has anyone any knowledge, tested it etc? I can see the logic, as once it gets to the required temp I suppose it doesn't keep much to keep it there.

I am tempted, as at the moment my heating is only on for an hour in the morning and an hour at night to take the chill of, as I am terrified of a huge bill!

Any advice appreciated.

tiger
9th December 2008, 13:06
I remember that being mentioned before by another member. He leaves his heating on all the time and says it saves him money.
I think it depends on how well your house is insulated and on the type of house and location too. I've been too scared to try it. We live in a fairly exposed position in a detached old stone house and when it's windy it just seems to suck the heat from the house.

dune
9th December 2008, 13:12
I've tried this a long time ago and found it a lot more exensive to keep on all the time. It will also depend on the type of system you have

A gravity feed system has a large storage tank so if the heating is on constantly then the heating of the boiler is also on constantly

A combi boiler works differently and only heats the water you use

As tiger says.. you have to take into account insulation and type of house (ie a terrace only has 2 outer walls and less windows where as a large detached house has 4 walls and more windows)

You could always take meter reading for 2 week as you are and then 2 weeks of the heating on constantly and compare

Ladyshopper
9th December 2008, 13:14
I know what you mean Tiger. If I'd thought about it sooner I would have done an experiment, and done a week of readings with it on as it is now, then a week with it on permanently.

However, its so cold, and its my weekend off this weekend so will probably go on then, plus only 2 weeks til Christmas and will go on then, so I'm just going to suck it and see as they say, and give it a go!

I remember last year when I got a horrendous bill, my friends was loads less than mine and she had hers on all the time.

Edited to say cross posted with Dune!

It is a combi boiler I have, so won't be having water on all the time as well.

I live in a 3 storey semi, fairly new house.

moonriver
9th December 2008, 13:17
Those whose husbands are out at work all day and say that you shouldn't have the heating on. I wonder how they would react if their employer turned all the heating off and made them sit in a freezing cold office.

My sons went to Boarding School (big scholarships I hasten to add). The first winter they were there there was no heating in the boarding house for 3 months. I used to worry all the time about it. Even gave them a fan heater to put under their bed but they got into trouble when it was found. Parents were paying 25000 a year for that, and the food was absolutely disgusting as well. Upper class parents just thought it made men of them.:eek:

Grace & Favour
9th December 2008, 14:18
Righty - ho - - time to dispel a few myths . . . .

You house(s) get cold because they lose heat through the walls, floors, roof & windows . . .
The more heat you have inside the house - the more it has to lose (that makes sense) ..
So . . if you keep the heating turned on - there's more heat to lose - and you will lose more . . without any doubt whatsoever . .

The optimum arrangement is to have the heating turned on in the part(s) of the house you are using about 30 minutes before you use them (i.e. before you get home - if you have timer switches), and turn them off about 30 minutes before you finish using those parts (and heat the bedroonm about 30 minutes before you go to bed, and turn off as you get into bed).

That way you'll optimise the available heat, and reduce your consumption.

The above is true whether your homes are insulated or not, although - it goes without saying - the better your insulation - the lower your consumption . . .
and - if at any time - you're feeling really cold . . go outside for 30 minutes - when you come in you'll feel the house is warmer!!!!!

penfold
9th December 2008, 14:53
and - if at any time - you're feeling really cold . . go outside for 30 minutes - when you come in you'll feel the house is warmer!!!!!

Thats seems a nice simply solution and one my dogs would no doubt thank you for ;)

chelseatom
9th December 2008, 15:18
mines been on since 7.30am, will stay on till 10pm

deb2108
9th December 2008, 15:41
i leave mine on all the time even during the night. I turn it down to about 18-20 overnight just so the radiators don't get freezing (just very slightly warm to touch) Whenever i am in the house i turn it up to 25
The house is never cold, my house is heated by oil and i can monitor how much is being used by the watchman and in all honesty i think i am using less oil doing it this way than i was last winter by having it come on 3 times a day. I know oil prices have dropped which does help a great deal and i also have open fire for extra heat in the living room so its always cosy in there ..................
Now my electric bill well thats another story :( 50-60 a month just to have my lights fridge/frezzer, washing machine and computer on

dune
9th December 2008, 15:46
I got a new electric meter fitted a couple of weeks ago so its easy to keep track of daily usage .. which after some cutting down its about 12 units a day

Dominic
9th December 2008, 16:10
Each to their own, I don't waste energy really but personally I feel life is too short to sit and be cold or be monitoring every last unit. I appreciate some people are struggling and need to economise, and in some cases yes its a case of struggling to pay the bill so you have to be careful

I'm reasonably comfortable, as are the majority of people, and I'd rather do without a night out or run a smaller/cheaper/older car or cut out a few take-aways than be freezing my bits off lol.

tiger
9th December 2008, 16:16

Very true. I often go for a walk or do some gardening and the house feels lovely and cosy when I come back in.

britchic4
9th December 2008, 16:17
I'm reasonably comfortable, as are the majority of people, and I'd rather do without a night out or run a smaller/cheaper/older car or cut out a few take-aways than be freezing my bits off lol.

Now there's an image. I work from home and while I'd like many of my bits to become smaller I don't want any of them to actually fall off so my heating is on.

dune
9th December 2008, 16:25
Each to their own, I don't waste energy really but personally I feel life is too short to sit and be cold or be monitoring every last unit. I appreciate some people are struggling and need to economise, and in some cases yes its a case of struggling to pay the bill so you have to be careful

a night out? a car? a takewaway?

we live in a shoe box and sit around a polo mint to keep warm

you must be one of those rich people that has shoes and clothes and stuff

nettie_b
9th December 2008, 16:36
Now there's an image. I work from home and while I'd like many of my bits to become smaller I don't want any of them to actually fall off so my heating is on.

must admit I tend to work from home less in the winter - I'd rather sit in work and use their heat! Plus the brisk walk from the train station means i'm pretty warm when I get in. I tend to have it on the termostat but its an excellent ch system - turn off 30 mins b4 i get into bed (I may then have the electric blanket on:rolleyes:)

in my old house - 13"stone cottage the ch took over an hour to warm the rads up - hense it was sense to leave on low. whereas this new house heats in mins.

Emmamed
10th December 2008, 03:22
our fire been going 24/7 for past few days, getting through 2 bags of coal a week (50kg each). will be glad when our central heating is fitted, no more dirty fires.

Ladyshopper
6th January 2009, 14:38
Just been looking a gas and electric consumption compared to last bill (only get bills every 6 months). My electric use is almost exactly the same as the feb-aug period last year, and gas will be a bit higher but not much.

However, I have just worked out my bill will be quite a lot higher due to the way they charge the primary and secondary gas and electric rates, and load these charges to the winter months.

Probably doesn't make a lot of sense (it does to me!), but essentially the same usage will cost more, but if use the same again in the following 6 months it will cost less!

Anyway, should get dual fuel discount which will help, so not too concerned, and it certainly shouldn't be as high as I thought it might. Phew!

carebabe
6th January 2009, 14:49
heating is on. thankfully the price of oil has come back down. should be able to do without it for most of day come feb. we have the house well insulated and a little bit of sunshine during the day means the heating can stay off till evening.

tescolover
6th January 2009, 15:19
Just been looking a gas and electric consumption compared to last bill (only get bills every 6 months). My electric use is almost exactly the same as the feb-aug period last year, and gas will be a bit higher but not much.

However, I have just worked out my bill will be quite a lot higher due to the way they charge the primary and secondary gas and electric rates, and load these charges to the winter months.

Probably doesn't make a lot of sense (it does to me!), but essentially the same usage will cost more, but if use the same again in the following 6 months it will cost less!

Anyway, should get dual fuel discount which will help, so not too concerned, and it certainly shouldn't be as high as I thought it might. Phew!

Are you with npower?

Ladyshopper
6th January 2009, 16:21
Are you with npower?

Yep, how did you guess?!

blond1e
6th January 2009, 16:24
my heating bill has almost doubled compared to my summer gas bill - its awful but I cannot stand the cold and Im at home all day with my dd and I can't expect a little 3yr old to be chilly so our heating is on from the moment we get up until about 7pm. I don't waste energy but cann't stand being cold. During the winter we're just more sensible with money so we can pay for extra heating.

Effie
6th January 2009, 16:36
Scottish Power has cut it's tariff by 10pc The 6 major energy suppliers have come under fire for failing to pass on a 40pc fall in the wholesale price of gas and electricity since last summer.With this extreme weather we'll all be paying for larger bills than normal .The thermometer has risen above freezing here today to 2 degrees and the frost has finally lifted for the first time in about 10 days :snowman:

tescolover
6th January 2009, 16:40
Yep, how did you guess?!

I've recently moved to them and found that they only bill you every 6 months which I'm a bit cheesed off with. I prefer to be billed quarterly to find out exactly I've used asap, even if it does show that I'm in the red :eek:

Emmamed
6th January 2009, 16:46
ive just gave scottish power our final meter readings for our old house, the bill is 52, now this may not sound like alot but we havent lived there since july. not got gas atm, as waiting on central heating being fitted, to replace our solid fuel rayburn. used more coal than normal over xmas, had 6 x 50kg bags delivered just before xmas, and we are out, got another delivery tomorrow. 81 for just over 2 weeks, thats without the electric and hate to think what that bill will be like, lights need to be turned on from about 2.30.

Jemima Puddle-Duck
6th January 2009, 17:23
I'm away to have a scout at others prices as i'm currently pumping 200 every 4 weeks into our gas meter, it's doubled since last winter and that's with a new boiler too. We're with Scottish Gas.

nettie_b
6th January 2009, 17:31
I'm away to have a scout at others prices as i'm currently pumping 200 every 4 weeks into our gas meter, it's doubled since last winter and that's with a new boiler too. We're with Scottish Gas.

blimy how big is your house? I've just phoned my gas+electric as i feel my gas is way too much atm - november 80 and now its 5 a day! Have just changed to Ebico which are supposed to be the cheapest for pre-payment but my gas has never been so high!

we are now sat in the cold with coats on! Maybe i shud get on the wii fit - but thats another thread!

Ladyshopper
6th January 2009, 17:32

OMG :eek::eek:

Jemima Puddle-Duck
6th January 2009, 19:46
blimy how big is your house? I've just phoned my gas+electric as i feel my gas is way too much atm - november 80 and now its 5 a day! Have just changed to Ebico which are supposed to be the cheapest for pre-payment but my gas has never been so high!

we are now sat in the cold with coats on! Maybe i shud get on the wii fit - but thats another thread!

I have a 5 bedroomed house. I took in the meters a year ago as gas/electric wouldn't put my dd's up to 100 a month even though they knew it would be that and more, so i told them i need in meters then and tbh they are the bain of my life, especially just now. If i miss the post office for topping up the gas then i've to go to the spar who only give you 20 gas at a time. I just had british gas in checking out my boiler, even though it's new i thought maybe their's something wong with it but nope it's in dandy working order. I think i'm running at about 150ish a month for elecric. I did get a letter in a few months ago saying that they were doing away with the standard charges for the meters and putting up the gas so it should work out the same....not sure where they got that from.

Time to move i think:target:

nettie_b
7th January 2009, 01:06
that's rediculous - you seem to be paying such a lot, my house is 2bed and for last 10 years i've only bought 30-40 of gas and electric per month and thi has always done ok - am so not happy with 100 of gas and at a fiver a day its actually 150per month!! i cant afford it.

when i was growing up we had a 5 bed detached - my dad had the gas tap on backwards - everyone used to comment about what a warm house it was!!

holliemon
7th January 2009, 08:15
I have a 6 bedroom house and I am paying 161 a month for both gas and electric but I am always in debit when the bills arrive. I have the heating on for a couple of hours in the morning and prob8 hours in the evening - weekends when it is cold it is on all day.

I work from home part time and I am in the study and have a portable radiator on just to heat up that room.

Its these old houses they are hard to heat and keep warm - mine never is really warm

Jemima Puddle-Duck
7th January 2009, 19:01
I have a 6 bedroom house and I am paying 161 a month for both gas and electric but I am always in debit when the bills arrive. I have the heating on for a couple of hours in the morning and prob8 hours in the evening - weekends when it is cold it is on all day.

I work from home part time and I am in the study and have a portable radiator on just to heat up that room.

Its these old houses they are hard to heat and keep warm - mine never is really warm

OMG is that all you pay? Who are you with....i REALLY need to sort mine out.:(

holliemon
7th January 2009, 19:46
Eon - but I am in debit before this cold quarter so it will def be going up.

I am gas and electric with them not capped or anything

Jemima Puddle-Duck
7th January 2009, 19:56
Thanks hun, not sure if we get Eon up this way but i'll check it out.