PDA

View Full Version : Recyclenow

tiger
4th March 2007, 13:20
Interesting site with pages on How to start recycling, what more can you do, facts, news and fun stuff.

recyclenow (http://www.recyclenow.com/index.html)

I was very interested in the facts page, for instance:

Every year, the average dustbin contains enough unrealised energy for 500 baths, 3500 showers or 5,000 hours of television.

Just one recycled aluminium can saves enough energy to run a television set for three hours!

Making glass bottles and jars from recycled ones saves energy. The energy saving from recycling one bottle will:
- Power a 100 watt light bulb for almost an hour
- Power a computer for 20 minutes
- Power a colour TV for 15 minutes
- Power a washing machine for 10 minutes

Makes you think, doesn't it?

Waterfall
4th March 2007, 13:34
Our family New Year resolution is to recyle more. Our waste has gone down by 2/3. I'm going to set up a copmpost heap and constantly looking for ways to recycle more. Thanks Tiger for raising the awareness. This is something everyone can do. :)

M3chanical_animal
8th March 2007, 18:53
Wow great find Tiger - this will help me at work - I'll whack these facts on the bins to try and encourge people to recycle more!

Maverick
8th March 2007, 18:53
good find tiger

tiger
24th March 2007, 11:09
Something that I don't understand is, when making bottles from recycled glass saves so much energy, why my local authority turns the glass into sand. It has to be ground so finely that it is unsuitable for building sand. It's no good for horticulture either. OH was talking to a landscaper the other day. He'd been asked by the LA to spread some sand over an area of ground. It resulted in complaints, as about 60% of the sand blew across neighbouring properties, across cars, windows and washing etc.