PDA

View Full Version : What can we recycle?

tiger
4th March 2007, 13:06
There are so many things that can be recycled now that it is worth checking with your local authority to find out what they are able to take.
Please look at everything you throw away and recycle it if you can.
I didn't know what to do with old batteries, but found that my local council accepts them at their recycling plant.
Something new that I've discovered today is that plastic tops from milk bottles can be recycled, thanks to M3chanical Animal. :)

Maldives
6th March 2007, 13:25
You beat me to this one Tiger... whilst brushing my teeth this morning, on the shelf was a plax bottle empty so needs binning, now is this recycable... what about imperial leather shower gel bottles? How about the washing up liquid bottle? can the inner of a toilet roll be put in for recycling? you get the idea, what exactly do we all recycle..

I know I put lots of things in the normal bin that could be recycled, but am unsure on stuff....

I do recycle:-
plastic bottles (2lt coke & lemonade ones)
tin cans (beers, coke and veg cans)
Glass bottles & jars (wine & sauces)
Newspapers & Magazines.
Old clothes (not fit for charity shop)

Gizmos
6th March 2007, 13:29
I recycle all my shampoo/toiletry bottles

pumpkin
6th March 2007, 17:44
we have a box for recycling that gets uplifted every week, and they do take plastic bottles but only if they have a 2 HDPE symbol on them. This includes milk cartons, fortunately, but excludes a lot of other things. As for shampoo bottles, shower gels etc, I can often find no recycle symbol on them at all, so they have to go in the bin rather than the recycling. However,I am grateful that we can easily recycle loads of stuff without going to any effort ourselves. We always have two boxes full every week - one is filled with papers, junk mail etc and the other with the plastic bottles, cans, glass jars and also any old clothes

Gizmos
6th March 2007, 18:05
I rquested a second recycle box from our council and they were incredulous that I had so much to recycle - they are not always full but it makes it easier for us to sort and also the guys in the van

ploverpalace
8th March 2007, 23:53
We are really lucky in that we have 3 wheeliebins. A green one is for rubbish, the blue is for paper, plastic etc and the brown is compostables. Each bin is only emptied fortnightly, but it is a brilliant system and at the end of a fortnight, our green bin is usually only 1/2 full. Our coucil recycle pretty much anything, even waxy fruit juice cartons. The only thing we have to get recycled ourselves is glass.

littleange_com
9th March 2007, 00:16
Wish they would collect the green recycling wheelie bin in Leeds more often, they only come once a month we can never fit all our recycling in it :(

They take plastics 1, 2 & 4 which includes plastic bags, paper, cardboard and cans. I take glass to the local supermarket - but not so often these days since we stopped drinking :D

They collect the black rubbish bins every week, I think this is rediculous, they should be encouraging you to recycle :( We hardly put it out, maybe once every 3 or 4 weeks

We did buy a compost bin but haven't got around to putting it in the garden properly yet, it kept getting blown over :(

M3chanical_animal
9th March 2007, 00:33
Tiger as ever great post - feel proud to be on a site with someone as dedicated to the enviroment as you! Keep up the good work - and dont forget the well deserved rep points everyone! ;)