PDA

View Full Version : When to put your decs up!!

lotty2002
26th November 2008, 19:44
I am having a bit of a "discussion" with DH re xmas decs. I have asked him to lift them down from the loft at the weekend, so I can sort through them ready to go up next week. I have put my back out so will have to pace myself this year - normally done in a day with several bottles of wine:D.
He says that next week is farrrrrrrrr to early.
I disagree - and will probably still do it, he he!!
What are you guys doing?

daphne~sparkle
26th November 2008, 19:46
I noticed a house near my daughters school has theirs up at the start of this week!!
I still think its too early I usually wait until the middle of Dec. as I get sick of looking at them TBH.
DS x

siennahue
26th November 2008, 19:47
Mine are going up Dec 6th, can't wait :D

lotty2002
26th November 2008, 19:48
My problem..... I LOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEE CHRISTMAS!!

littlemissnaughty
26th November 2008, 19:49
I normally do mine the 1st weekend in December but I think hubby and the kids will be doing it while I am in Edinburgh this weekend. No doubt they will do it wrong and I will have to redo it. I am really fussy about what goes where :D

WELSH-DRAGON
26th November 2008, 19:51
still debating this one - this year I've decided to put up 4 trees although with a kitten in the house its going to be fun !

I know the colour schemes, white tree orange and chocolate colour baubles, green tree - red and gold, green tree - brights - blue tree - blue decs.

I must admit I have been playing my xmas cd for about 2 weeks now when I was at home it was always after 10th dec - my dad's birthday,

driving home tonight I saw one house with its full decorations on outside - I think we'll do it around 4th december, I love christmas !

Welshy x

HELLO_KITTY
26th November 2008, 19:51
lol mine are up, well my tree is anyway, i went b&q last wek and bought a tree and the kids couldnt wait, they put it on the stand for me so i though' oh well' and left it up, its now decorated too...im due to give birth in 2 weeks so thats one job out of the way lol

nixx
26th November 2008, 19:52
Waaaaaaaaaay too early!!

colman
26th November 2008, 20:29
ours goes up first sunday of december....i can't wait...i always cook lots of nibbly food that we can eat as we are putting it up with xmas songs playing on the cd....can't wait.

i wrapped all the presents yesterday and was listening to chrimbo songs it was lovely feeling all festive now...

The Wizard of Oz
26th November 2008, 20:32
1st December - so thats my Monday sorted then :)

Will get them down from the attic either Sunday or Monday and then put it all up Monday whilst the kids are at school - will get it done a lot quicker that way lol

VeryTrying
26th November 2008, 20:42
In our house Father Christmas puts the decorations up after the children have gone to bed on Christmas Eve ....... and when they get up on Christmas morning the house looks all magical :)

addictedtosaving
26th November 2008, 20:43
My birthday is on 8th December and I don't like to mix birthday with Christmas so I usually do it the weekend after my birthday. As my birthday is on a Monday it will be 14th December before I do it.

princesskerry
26th November 2008, 21:05
I usually put the decs up around the 10th December and then by New Years Eve I'm normally sick of the site of them so they will be down again. This year we are still decorating so they wont be out until that is finished.
I dont think the new carpet will be being layed until late in December so this year will be definately later, but I always feel christmassy when it's up so we will see.

colman
26th November 2008, 21:08
I usually put the decs up around the 10th December and then by New Years Eve I'm normally sick of the site of them so they will be down again. This year we are still decorating so they wont be out until that is finished.
I dont think the new carpet will be being layed until late in December so this year will be definately later, but I always feel christmassy when it's up so we will see.

i'm a bit like that PK, like to have the decs down close of play on new years day!!!!

Miss Wetwipe
26th November 2008, 21:09
Mine usually go up the first weekend in December - however, I'm being naughty this year and putting them up on 30th November - I just can't wait for Max to see them all!!! :D

lotty2002
26th November 2008, 21:11
In our house Father Christmas puts the decorations up after the children have gone to bed on Christmas Eve ....... and when they get up on Christmas morning the house looks all magical :)

My mum used to do this. Maybe that's why I want mine up NOW! Just tried to mention it again to DH, who "is not going to discuss while L'pool FC is on!"
I had sneakily thought if I mentioned it now, he just say yeah whatever!:eyebrows: Crafty plan foiled! ;)

VeryTrying
26th November 2008, 21:17
Try again, they're one goal up :D

sparkles123
26th November 2008, 21:20

:D:D:D

It's worth a try!

clockwatcher
26th November 2008, 21:23

Flippin' 'eck! In our house Father Christmas has more than enough to do after the kids are in bed on Christmas Eve, what with present-wrapping, house-tidying, veg-peeling as well as stocking-filling!

DebbieE
26th November 2008, 21:27
Blimey - I wish our Father Xmas would come & peel the vege - u lucky thing :)

janedoe
26th November 2008, 21:28
Trampy family over the road have had theirs up since last week and we normally put ours up the week before Xmas and then take them down asap after New Year and then the house looks all drab again, I love Xmas but every year something always hampers it and a house by the school has lots of Lights etc on the outside and it looks lovely and does a charity bucket outside for collection, would love to live in a decent area to be able to put some outside without Trampy family nicking them. :(

clockwatcher
26th November 2008, 21:28
Blimey - I wish our Father Xmas would come & peel the vege - u lucky thing :)

I have to tie my long white beard up so it doesn't trail in the sink ;)

hflower74
26th November 2008, 21:47
I'll probably put mine up a week into December. Put them all up when my dd is in bed, usually finish about 1am and then set the alarm for 5am so i can get up and turn on all the fairy lights and the musical christmas tree lights so as soon as my dd comes out her bedroom she can just about hear the music downstairs.

She thinks the fairies put them up. :D

c'est moi
26th November 2008, 21:53
Love Christmas, but get sick of looking at decorations, so put them up as late as possible - weekend before Christmas day usually. OH insists they stay up till 12th night, by which time I am so glad to get rid of the dropping pine needles. We could of course have a fake tree, but I really do like the smell of a real one!

Love the idea of putting them up on Christam Eve - would really add to the magic of the day when the kids get up the next morning, BUT I am exhausted then - how on earth do you do it???

zoot
26th November 2008, 22:02
My birthday is on 8th December and I don't like to mix birthday with Christmas so I usually do it the weekend after my birthday. As my birthday is on a Monday it will be 14th December before I do it.

My Ds has a birthday on december 8th, and i usually put the decorations up on the weekend before his birthday so they are up for his birthday! Wonder what he will think about this when he is older? Am I doing it wrong???!!

99redballs
26th November 2008, 22:06
we usually put ours up the first weekend in dec, last year in was nearly the third week till we got round to putting it up- for some reason i couldn't be bothered and oh put it up! if i can get away with it i'll put it up the 2nd week end in dec, because i hate dusting the blumming things!

missstroppy
26th November 2008, 22:13
I will be starting to put mine up tomorrow.......usually wait till 1st Dec - but having a cra**y time of it this last month, so wanted to cheer myself up.

I love all the sparkly lights what makes xmas for me.

Esp when kids in bed, main lights off, fairylights on, sitting all quietly by myself...with a cuppa........Oow lovely !

lotty2002
26th November 2008, 22:17

Was banished for attempting to talk while footy in. It's a rule in our house, I stay away otherwise other team score:der:
I'm sure I'll get round him, I've got till Sun!!

Vallich
26th November 2008, 22:21
I usually put our decorations up about 12th December, but as we're likely to still be in the middle of decorating, I can see it being late this year.
I can see us finishing decorating the living room on Christmas Eve or something stupid like that.

phonejacker
27th November 2008, 01:05
Christmas decorations go up on Christmas Eve (24th Dec) and come down on Twelfth Night (5 Jan).

Scottishnellie
27th November 2008, 01:12
I usually put mine up the first weekend of December, but the minute Christmas is over I can't stand seeing them. I take them down on 27th dec - and have occasionally been known to take them down on boxing day!

I like to gut the house and have it all shiny and ordered to bring the new year in, so having decorations still up would drive me nuts. :o

marshmallow79
27th November 2008, 08:21
Mine goes up on 12th Dec every year and I won't have it any other way as my birthday is the 11th! I used to go loopy if my mum tried to christmas up our house before that day to! lol. I just hate the idea of my birthday getting blended with christmas...I mean if my birthday was in june it would stand on its own but people seem to think because my b'day is so close to christmas it's ok to blend the 2 together (god help anyone who sends me one card/gift to cover the two! :rant: ). :D

holliemon
27th November 2008, 08:33
I usually put them up 12 days before xmas and they go down around 12 days after xmas.

My children are older but I DONT like them helping I like to do it while they are at school.

I have a blue and gold tree in the dining room with white lights and the in the lounge I have a very traditional tree where everything goes on it. I love putting it up and making sure it looks good. I also go outside and make sure it looks good from the outside too.

Deedee
27th November 2008, 08:39
Was banished for attempting to talk while footy in. It's a rule in our house, I stay away otherwise other team score:der:
I'm sure I'll get round him, I've got till Sun!!

Hee hee, I have this as well, "No hun, if your team lose it's because they are carp, not because I asked if you would pass me the paper you were sitting on!" lol

icho
27th November 2008, 08:50
i'm tempted to put my up this weekend.. i have gone earlier for the simple reason that it's dd2 birthday very early in new year and take it down before her birthday so that like marshmellow she can recognise the difference.

joedog
27th November 2008, 10:06
Got mine down from attic and going to put up this weeken
:)

mum1964
27th November 2008, 10:42
1st December - so thats my Monday sorted then :)

Will get them down from the attic either Sunday or Monday and then put it all up Monday whilst the kids are at school - will get it done a lot quicker that way lol

dont do it while kids are at school, in years to come you will look back on the tree decorating days with fond memories, yes it takes longer and usually looks a right mess, but you can always tidy it up when they are asleep.
Trust me do it with the kids while you can.

Grace & Favour
27th November 2008, 10:47
We put ours up on Christmas Eve . . (well - - Father Christmas does it for us actually - at about 11:00 at night!)

zoot
27th November 2008, 10:54
Mine goes up on 12th Dec every year and I won't have it any other way as my birthday is the 11th! I used to go loopy if my mum tried to christmas up our house before that day to! lol. I just hate the idea of my birthday getting blended with christmas...I mean if my birthday was in june it would stand on its own but people seem to think because my b'day is so close to christmas it's ok to blend the 2 together (god help anyone who sends me one card/gift to cover the two! :rant: ). :D

i'm tempted to put my up this weekend.. i have gone earlier for the simple reason that it's dd2 birthday very early in new year and take it down before her birthday so that like marshmellow she can recognise the difference.

beginning to wonder if im ok to put decorations up before DS2s birthday or should i wait till afterwards. Dont want to cause him issues in later life!
But then should i wait until after DS1s birthday (17th Dec) too?
Dilema, dilema...
At least if i put them up early they are up for both birthdays and no one if treated differently to the other!

siennahue
27th November 2008, 12:04
My DDs B'day is the 7th and she insists on having the decs up for it! I'm in real trouble if I don't get it all done in time :gbxtank:, this year we are having two trees, one traditional in the front room and a white one in the 'dining room'. I have decs of all colours for the white one, plan being the kids can do it themselves without me interfering ;) so I can get on with the traditional one :cool:

beckieboop
27th November 2008, 15:08
when my eldest son was little i used to put the tree up before his birthday on the 5th, so his special tea was always all twinkly and colourful lol
hes 17 this year and now hes older i usually do it the weekend afrter his birthday so it doesnt mingle with xmas
so sunday the 7th is the day mine will be going up!

natasha1
27th November 2008, 17:04
I normally put mine up in the first weekend of dec which is next weekend.

navara
27th November 2008, 17:25
I am having a bit of a "discussion" with DH re xmas decs. I have asked him to lift them down from the loft at the weekend, so I can sort through them ready to go up next week. I have put my back out so will have to pace myself this year - normally done in a day with several bottles of wine:D.
He says that next week is farrrrrrrrr to early.
I disagree - and will probably still do it, he he!!
What are you guys doing?

Far too early Christmas Eve I would say:xmas-smiley-016:

shoppaholic45
27th November 2008, 18:16
We are putting ours up on the 13 december, we get a real tree and i get my oh to check it to make sure there are no snakes hiding in it. I once read a story about it and i have a real phobia about them. I love christmas and am going to wrap some more presents tonight.

PipkinSam
27th November 2008, 19:57
I shall put mine up on Sunday - so they are all up and ready for 1st December! Bring it on!

colman
27th November 2008, 20:06
went down to the local garden centre today, they have lots of real xmas trees in already i could have bought one home with me there and then....but need to wait until its december...

cazzarooni
27th November 2008, 21:39
I always put mine up around my birthday which is 8th, as my Mum always did this when I was at home:)

kez1979
30th November 2008, 13:55
i put them up on the 1st, im sooooooooooooo excited want to do it now.

kez1979
30th November 2008, 13:57
Far too early Christmas Eve I would say:xmas-smiley-016:

thats tooooooo late lol.
i want them up nowwwwwwwwwwwwww

pookienoodle
30th November 2008, 13:58
boo hoo,
I really want to put our tree up in the lounge but we are having new flooring laid next week so there is no point.
I can't wait as D.S is 2 1/2 and he will love it this year.

ange01
30th November 2008, 15:16
THE TREE'S UP, LIGHTS ON DH OUTSIDE GETTING THE FESTIVE LIGHTS ROUND THE HOUSE!!!! sorry to shout:) soooooo excited

missstroppy
30th November 2008, 17:26
Mine are up to......just finished..... :)

Miss Wetwipe
30th November 2008, 18:46
Mine are up too - like a bleedin grotto!!!!!!!!!

Ladyshopper
30th November 2008, 18:59
I'm obviously Mrs Scrooge - can't believe people have put their decorations up in November!!

joedog
30th November 2008, 22:02
trees up and lights on just trimmings to put up tomorrow

dizzymum
30th November 2008, 22:12
Can't believe ours are up - and it was the hubby's idea:eek: - thought we would be putting them up next weekend - with it being the first weekend of the month - but now glad there up - would have only spent this week tidying in readiness for them to go up - instead a quick hoover, dust and tidy (with everyone's help) and hey presto!!!!!!! I feel like i have gained a weekend now!!!!!!:)

sweepy
30th November 2008, 22:13
I wont be putting mine up just yet its november ppl lol.
sweepyxx

Fat Cat
30th November 2008, 23:37
I'm obviously Mrs Scrooge - can't believe people have put their decorations up in November!!

I hate to say it but me too! Mine are going up on 12 December ! Im sorry if this is really bad :o

Melc234
30th November 2008, 23:47
Wish me luck, oh has said hes starting tomorrow. It took 4 days last year. He goes mad 20ft snowman on drive, singing santas, reindeers on the roof. Lights everywhere, train with santa on it going across front of house. Plus hes bought more in the sales. I take the easy option i do indoors, doesnt take so long. :)

emmie29
1st December 2008, 10:42
My tree and decs went up last night while kids were in bed. The look on their faces when they came down was priceless. We always wait till we are all together to hang the nana bell, in memory of my mum and dd5 said a prayer that school had given her. Im not that religiious but OH and kids are catholic and its good that even just for a moment we all (even ds12 ) thought about the real meaning of christmas.

siennahue
1st December 2008, 11:28
:doh: just realised its Dec 1st today :nono: I havn't done the advent calender or candle :help: better get on with it

salsa
1st December 2008, 11:56
OOOh they're playing Kirsty McColl & the pogues "Fairytale of new york" on the radio, my all time fave xmas song. Starting to feel xmasy now. tree will go up at the weekend

colman
4th December 2008, 21:22
3 more sleepies until we get our tree...am soooooo excited...
Have bought lots of lovely nibbley food and nice wine to drink whilst its going up...we will spend all afternoon decorating the tree can't wait....

Zaul
4th December 2008, 21:34
Gave in and did ours today.DDs off school recovering from a sickness bug and getting "bored"(obviously on the mend)so got the stuff out and she helped by putting thebaubles on the tree.Must admit it does look nice.

Have 4 sets of lights for the tree but use only 2 each year-burned myself on a bulb so removed them and replaced them sharpish as shouldnt be that blooming hot!Was going to bin them as they are obviously faulty but does anyone know if it would be okay to keep the bulbs as they fit other light sets.Or would it be safer to bin the lot?

bargain belinda
4th December 2008, 21:35
my trees up! tinsel round all pics animated snow scenes, every singing dancing flapping and rapping toys to amuse and delight my 3 children. presents wrapped and gone to santa (bought in Janruary sales) yay!!!!

bargain belinda
4th December 2008, 21:38
woolworths have got some fantastic decorations reduced due to the current situation i think, and are all 3 for the price of 2 . well worth a wander round

siennahue
4th December 2008, 22:04
Have 4 sets of lights for the tree but use only 2 each year-burned myself on a bulb so removed them and replaced them sharpish as shouldnt be that blooming hot!Was going to bin them as they are obviously faulty but does anyone know if it would be okay to keep the bulbs as they fit other light sets.Or would it be safer to bin the lot?

Safer to bin the lot, I don't trust fairy lights - even though I currently have 8 sets up around the front room! - I opt for the fixed bulb types, micro lights or led strings as I don't like having small glass bulbs around that are easily broken by little fingers.

siennahue
5th December 2008, 10:51
sorry Zaul hun I should have put this link up with my post but these are type I use :) http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.204-3846.aspx

rainbowhope
5th December 2008, 15:36
I have had mine up since nov 30th....with all the work it takes me...I want to enjoy them a whole month!!

lotty2002
5th December 2008, 15:55
Mine went up Monday, much to DH annoyance. He had to give in when I said he could have that bluray player from Asda on Sunday!!!:D Crafty,me...........never!!

Jules_2005
5th December 2008, 16:54
looks like I'm in the minority then for not having mine up yet. I normally do it 12 days before christmas but I'm not in a christmassy frame of mind this year so might leave it longer

tyroleandancer
5th December 2008, 17:27
looks like I'm in the minority then for not having mine up yet. I normally do it 12 days before christmas but I'm not in a christmassy frame of mind this year so might leave it longer

Not on your own Jules I am a bah humbug :lol:
Mine usually go up around the 18th/19th:eek:

Last year the children put them up when I was out, they got fed up waiting:o

Zaul
5th December 2008, 17:27
Really annoyed DD today.;)

There is now a huge/wrapped/extremely heavy parcel next to our tree.:D

Couldnt find anywhere to hide it so I simply wrapped it.:D

Couldnt physically put it under the tree-I'd actually have to put the tree(artificial)on top of it instead.

fairygirl
11th December 2008, 23:24
Yay, finally got our tree and put all decs up yesterday:clap2:, bit late for my liking but me and OH seem to be taking it in turns to be ill at the mo and so not in the mood! Went to Homebase first and they had an awful selection so went to B&Q and found a nice full 6ft tree for a tenner which was much better than the 25+ ones in homebase.:D
So far the kitten hasn't pulled it down either...........