PDA

View Full Version : Messed up on Ebay, can I cancel an auction with a bid on ?

maleficent_mum
2nd December 2008, 22:57
I decided to sell my collection of Staffordshire Bull Terrier ornaments, one of which I'd bought in an antique shop about 15 years ago. I can't remember what I paid for it and it wasn't stamped by any maker.
So I just listed it as Vintage, but have just realised it in Category - Royal Doulton, presumably because I used the same template as for one of the other auctions and also I've had a message from another Ebayer whose given me the item number, catalogue page and the information that it was manufactured by a company called SylvaC and valued at between 30 - 40 and I've listed it for 4.99 start :der: and it has a bid on it :(

Most importantly can I cancel the auction ?
If I can would it be fair to relist with a higher starting bid, if it's in the right category I might get more interest, as it is I haven't even got the Maker's name in the title, or would you relist in the right category and at the same price and what would I say to the bidder ?

moosey
2nd December 2008, 22:58
You can use the 'end listing early' form. Ebay sends a message to your bidders to say the auction has ended early. :)

maleficent_mum
2nd December 2008, 23:00
and that's it, I don't have to explain why or anything ?

Thanks for the info BTW. :)

tyroleandancer
2nd December 2008, 23:02
and that's it, I don't have to explain why or anything ?

Thanks for the info BTW. :)

You may have to select an option, not sure what they are
I have have had to do this on several occasions

moosey
2nd December 2008, 23:08
Aye, just select an option - item no longer for sale, item broken or lost etc. Doesn't make any difference really. :)

angelic
3rd December 2008, 08:23
Item is yours to do as you wish with, you can end early as others have said, make sure you opt to cancel bids first.

It is your choice, but I would notify your buyer why you are ending early and say you will advise them when it is re-listed and give the new item number.

Good luck with your new auction :)

Freebird
3rd December 2008, 08:29
One of the options when you cancel a bid and end auction is "there was an error in the listing or price" - well, it's true, isn't it? Then just re-do the listing with the correct details - nice of that ebayer to email you the details as he could have just waited till the end and sniped a bargain!

Ebay no longer give you your bidders' details so you can't let them know you'll re-list, but I'm sure they'll find it. You could add a note in the listing saying you were re-doing it in order to give people more complete information about the piece.

Good luck :)

maleficent_mum
3rd December 2008, 19:08
Thanks everyone I've ended it and it was very straight forward.
angelic, sorry I can't rep you again, as always a big thankyou. :)

Firebird, it was nice wasn't it the ebayer's handle was something like sylvaccollectibles, so they could easily have just bought and sold on, proves that there are and always will be good people out there. :)

99redballs
3rd December 2008, 19:12
Thanks everyone I've ended it and it was very straight forward.
angelic, sorry I can't rep you again, as always a big thankyou. :)

Firebird, it was nice wasn't it the ebayer's handle was something like sylvaccollectibles, so they could easily have just bought and sold on, proves that there are and always will be good people out there. :)

could be that they are realy nice, or, that they also have one for sale ending before yours and so thiers might not fetch much money as peeps are holding out for yours as it's listed wrongly. there's always an ulterior motive:D

maleficent_mum
3rd December 2008, 19:15
could be that they are realy nice, or, that they also have one for sale ending before yours and so thiers might not fetch much money as peeps are holding out for yours as it's listed wrongly. there's always an ulterior motive:D

OOh you sound as cynical as my OH ! lol x