PDA

View Full Version : Customs form ?

maleficent_mum
10th December 2008, 11:55
I've sold 2 ornaments to someone in the State, so i'm guessing I need to fill in a customs form. Do i mark it as a gift ?
Buyer paid just under 50 each for the figures, if value makes a difference.
Thanks in advance.

VeryTrying
10th December 2008, 12:04
I'd just write "CHRISTMAS Gift - ornament", and put the value at about 10. This is for the US Customs, not ours. But don't put a copy of your invoice in, or they might suss.

If your customer has an attack of honestly, she can always give $10 to charity to make up for it.

mhoc
10th December 2008, 12:19
I always tick the gift box and put a vague description in the item box. I put toal cost in the final box including postage - is this correct.I also sign and date them - not sure wether this is correct???

Freebird
10th December 2008, 12:27
I send lots of stuff to the US. I always tick the "Other" box (well....it's not a gift) and then a vague description like 2 x Xmas ornament. In terms of the value, it depends. If I feel somehow a little uneasy (as you sometimes do) I fully declare (don't include postage though) or anything from 10-20. Never had any problems.

angelic
10th December 2008, 21:56
I do as Freebird and marks as "Other" and likewise give a correct but non-descript description IYSWIM.
Value wise I always put the exact purchase price - reason being in case of a postal claim for any reason I would want the claim to match the Customs label.
I never include postage in the value as in the case of a claim, that is a separate issue and would inflate the price should duty be payable at the buyer's end.

I agree with VT, I never put an invoice inside the box.

shopsomemore
10th December 2008, 22:27
Anyone any ideas about getting an item from the states to here??

Gizmos
10th December 2008, 22:30
I regularly get stuff sent and have never occured charged - however my OH got something sent recently and was stung

angelic
10th December 2008, 23:28
Anyone any ideas about getting an item from the states to here??

It depends on the value of the item as Customs charges can really push up the price :(
If Customs Duty is applied, the parcel is delivered by ParcelFarce who will charge you for "Customs clearance fee" :(
Last parcel I had a charge on cost me about 30 in charges of which 13 was the PF fee :shocked:
Item cost just over 100 and ironically was made not too far away, but was not sold in the UK so I had no option but to buy from the US.

I may be wrong, but I think Customs charges can go on anything valued at around 30 upwards coming into the UK so be very wary if you are hoping for a bargain as it may not be :nono:

Freebird
10th December 2008, 23:38
Customs charges start on anything over 18! And I've been stung many a time - not least by the fool in the US who put a $350 value on and EMPTY CARDBOARD BOX - it was a free replacement for a damaged outer....and I got hit with 87 in charges. The cheekiest is Parcelfarce as they say their fee is for "Admin & delivery" - nevermind that you've already paid for delivery!

I always put invoices with my parcels - in fact, they now go into one of those document enclosed wallets on the front so I'd best make sure value and invoice match from now on!

shopsomemore
10th December 2008, 23:47
Oh so there may be some hope?? Anyone know anyone who would buy an item and sent it to me?? Desperate here - lol. I will pay over the odds - just this once .......

maleficent_mum
11th December 2008, 00:58
I'm not sure I've done the right thing but I did put down the correct value, only because I'd asked for it to be insured. I had contacted the buyer beforehand to explain that I didn't ship outside the UK, the auctions both said that and that if she wanted to go ahead with the sale I'd only be happy posting by Airsure with insurance, she agreed to that, so I can only hope she doesn't get hit with charges.
Thanks everyone for the info :) reps have been sent. x

Emmamed
11th December 2008, 02:50
Oh so there may be some hope?? Anyone know anyone who would buy an item and sent it to me?? Desperate here - lol. I will pay over the odds - just this once .......

maybe look on ebay.com, item would need to be sent priority post thought to make sure its here in time for xmas. what are u looking for.