PDA

View Full Version : Booking Train Tickets

Beej
10th January 2009, 22:53
Hope someone can help me with this.

I am looking to book a holiday in Cornwall in June, travelling by train from West Yorks but I can't seem to find timetables/fares further in advance than 3 months. Is there any way I can find this out. Thanks in advance.

tyroleandancer
10th January 2009, 22:58
Beej they are only available 12 weeks in advance, online anyway
You could try and ring the station but I think they will tell you the same.

When we book train travel we try to book as soon as the prices are realeased about 12 weeks in advance as those will be the cheapest tickets

Beej
10th January 2009, 23:03
Thanks Tyrole, thats what I thought but it doesn't help with planning a holiday for the Summer does it.

tyroleandancer
10th January 2009, 23:17
Thanks Tyrole, thats what I thought but it doesn't help with planning a holiday for the Summer does it.

No it doesn't
I would have thought the times will be the same but the price could be anything

Raffles
11th January 2009, 12:27
Train companies normally have downloadable timetables on their websites.

You can only buy tickets 12 weeks in advance because Network Rail only has to give train companies 12 weeks notice of track closures for maintenance.

davidgh
11th January 2009, 12:48
As said, 12 week rule is absolute bit do remember som train companies actually release their cheapest advance fares 6 weeks before trip.
Is megatrain on your list to check prices?
Also anyone hold railcards?
Finally do check if your rail compay does Groupsave - 4 travel for cost of 2.

far canel
12th January 2009, 19:11
Also 2 one-way fares are sometimes cheaper than a return ticket.
Good article on MSE

heatherks
12th January 2009, 19:35
i noticed that the other day when i was checking fares to Blackpool could only book so long in advance

wallsendmag
17th January 2009, 22:46
Hello I work for a Train Operating Company.CrossCountry will release their reservations a maximum of 12 weeks in advance book asap as cheap tickets will be very limited. Forget groupsave doesn't apply for you journey also avoid The Trainline get yourself down to a station for the best unbiased advise. PM me if you want any more info.

dantheman
21st January 2009, 21:54
In terms of getting cheaper tix, consider splitting the journey from your nearest big city/town to birmingham or london and from there to cornwall.