PDA

View Full Version : Buying Pallets off ebay

KittyKat
13th January 2009, 17:17
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone else has ever done this there seem to be some pretty cheap ones going when you take into consideration of the rrp even if you sold on at half rrp you'd at least double your money but thats if you don't get a load of faulty stuff. I've so far bought a pallet of 21 prams which are yet to arrive but was thinking of buying one of the mixed ones. Can anyone tell me their experiences of it please

Kat :)

Grace & Favour
13th January 2009, 17:56
The trick of buying pallets is to do your homework, and do it thoroughly!!!

Don't take the sellers word for the RRP . . it's normally exaggerated and meaningless . .

Go down to your local market / boot-sale / auction rooms and look critically at what the items ACTUALLY sell for . . it could well be a lot lower than you think . . .
(if they're small items - look at Home Bargains and Poundland too!!!)

And secondly - - be prepared to have somewhere dry and spacious to store stuff . . and be aware it may take you many weeks to sell it on - so your money will be tied up for quite a while . . . .

and finally - - please remember - - the guy you buy these pallets from will be making a profit on them already!!!!! - - and why doesn't he sell them on at Markets and Boot-sales too if there's money to be made . . . .

pookienoodle
13th January 2009, 18:01
I have noticed that quite a few candle sellers on ebay buy from the ebay pallet seller that sells the colonial candles.
these seem a good buy if you can afford the outlay.

Khufu
13th January 2009, 18:08
Also, can you unload a pallet at your house? Quickly and get it into the dry?

99redballs
13th January 2009, 20:14
hope you've got a big garage!
good luck with the venture hun!

Thrifty Boots
13th January 2009, 20:17
Candles are quite difficult to shift. Carbootsales are always full of them being sold for peanuts

KittyKat
13th January 2009, 20:54
Thanks for all replies, so no one has actually bought one themselves?! I will be chief guinea pig and waster of money!

Also, can you unload a pallet at your house? Quickly and get it into the dry?
Nope! Think of me Thursday unpacking my first pallet out the front of my house and poor baba who will loose half her bedroom with the room is takes up!
G & F - I get you completely on the rrp some I've looked at are definately exagerated and I'm also baring in mind that I want to sell for at least half the rrp for a fast turnaround.
I have an outhouse which is a good size which has quite a bit of car boot stuff in it already but still room for plenty more and my mum doesn't use her garage but it can get a bit damp.
Would be interesting to hear from someone who has bought one of the mixed almost mystery pallets if theres anyone as daft as me out there?!

Mamzie
13th January 2009, 22:33
I looked at a couple of the mixed ex catalogue pallets at a catalogue wholesaler, when I was on markets, but they were lots of unguaranteed returns and damaged packaging.

be careful is my advise, unless you get a good supplier, don't gamble with more than you can lose.

sandhabibi
13th January 2009, 22:37
I looked at doing this last year but chickened out.

KittyKat
14th January 2009, 22:07
Oooh I'm excited but a little bit nervous its like waiting for the bags of cr*p all over again except this time its 270 quids worth instead of 1's worth...oh god what have i done :rolleyes:

suziq
14th January 2009, 22:37
Oh would go total bonkers with me if i did that!
good luck for tommoz hun

the_kid
14th January 2009, 23:44
Oh would go total bonkers with me if i did that!
good luck for tommoz hun

I would get the same from OH as well, think he would lose the plot if i had a pallet of pushchairs arrive, he wasn't too impressed with all the razors I bought in Boots when there was glitch, even though they were for him, he said there is so many toiletries in this house we could open our own shop...so you can imagine his joy when I came home with 12 bottles of discounted herbal essence from Boots yesterday :D...not to mention my large stash of more shampoo sets from the sale today...try to justify it by saying two teenage DD use loads but now I am even beginning to think I have a problem when it comes to buying shampoo/conditioner...lol

Grace & Favour
15th January 2009, 11:00
I'm sure we'll all be interested to learn of your experience with this KittyKat . .

Would you contemplate running a 'blog' on this thread - expressing your experiences, what you received, how your research went, where you try to sell things, (and which routes were most successful) - you'll have friends, ebay, small adverts in free papers, shop window cards, boot sales, maybe even some local markets.

If you could keep a cash record of it all - - I'm sure it would be fascinating for us all Kitty . . . . . .

navara
15th January 2009, 11:27
I'm sure we'll all be interested to learn of your experience with this KittyKat . .

Would you contemplate running a 'blog' on this thread - expressing your experiences, what you received, how your research went, where you try to sell things, (and which routes were most successful) - you'll have friends, ebay, small adverts in free papers, shop window cards, boot sales, maybe even some local markets.

If you could keep a cash record of it all - - I'm sure it would be fascinating for us all Kitty . . . . . .

And the taxman:D

KittyKat
15th January 2009, 18:38
lol navara - well I am reg as self employed so all this will go through the books anyway though I have a feeling it will work in my favour tax wise as i'll probably lose money on this!

Just had a call to say the M6 was close for 9 hours today so it won't arrive until tomorrow :/ which is pants as no time slot so another day stuck in the house.

G & F I shall first see what this ones like and of course update you all if it turns out okay then i may buy another from elsewhere, but the financial risk is quite high seeing as it could realistically all be a load of faulty crap! I suppose we can all learn from mistakes and hopefully find some reputable companies doing this.

I have ordered a job lot of belly and tongue bars which arrived today and am happy with these, they worked out at 15p each and I imagine will easily sell at 1 but will try for 2 first next time i do a boot sale

Other things are in the pipeline at mo too which will take main priority when and if its off the ground.

Suzi q and the kid - I kicked the OH out a few months back over unrelated matters but it does make more room for storage!

Will update again tomorrow

Khufu
15th January 2009, 18:41
Just had a call to say the M6

Just read this as call from MI6!:D

suziq
15th January 2009, 18:45
Suzi q and the kid - I kicked the OH out a few months back over unrelated matters but it does make more room for storage!

now there is a thought...............................:cool:

Mamzie
15th January 2009, 22:26
KittyKat have you ever bought The Trader magazine, that was my bible for finding warehouse that stocked what I sold when I was trading. Lots of info and contacts in there. I used to be in the Market Traders fed as well, as you coud get cheaper public insurance that way. I used to see quite a lot of mixed pallets lists in there.

http://www.thetrader.co.uk/about.php

sandhabibi
15th January 2009, 22:32
KittyKat have you ever bought The Trader magazine, that was my bible for finding warehouse that stocked what I sold when I was trading. Lots of info and contacts in there. I used to be in the Market Traders fed as well, as you coud get cheaper public insurance that way. I used to see quite a lot of mixed pallets lists in there.

http://www.thetrader.co.uk/about.php

Nice one mamzie:) I had one of these and only threw it out last week now I need it and couldn't remember dam name....

Mamzie
15th January 2009, 22:45
Happy to help Sandi, it was so useful to me.

KittyKat
16th January 2009, 00:18
Thanks Mamzie just had a nose on website gonna go out n buy a copy :) Out of interest what did you used to sell down the markets?

Mamzie
16th January 2009, 00:49
Outsize ladies clothing, from a 20'x20' stall, I had a lovely Luton Box 3.5t van that I drove - hard work but great fun.

KittyKat
16th January 2009, 14:01
Well pallet has arrived some of them are way to broken to resell i wouldn't be surprised if they caused damage to the babies that were in them. Some look brand new just crumbs in them, 2 have wheels missing! lol I'm gonna go through each of them and clean them up and sell the ok ones at the weekend weather permitting and sort the dodgy ones out later am hoping if i email the companies I can buy spare parts. Every room is full of prams at mo!

Grace & Favour
16th January 2009, 14:31
Pleased you got the pallet OK Kitty . . . . .

And just think - this weekend you'll be perambulating the market!!!!

KittyKat
16th January 2009, 14:34
To be honest I'm not even sure if I'll break even yet the most expensive pram is beyond repair the frame has snapped :/

pumpkin
16th January 2009, 17:05
Well pallet has arrived some of them are way to broken to resell i wouldn't be surprised if they caused damage to the babies that were in them. Some look brand new just crumbs in them, 2 have wheels missing! lol I'm gonna go through each of them and clean them up and sell the ok ones at the weekend weather permitting and sort the dodgy ones out later am hoping if i email the companies I can buy spare parts. Every room is full of prams at mo!

To be honest I'm not even sure if I'll break even yet the most expensive pram is beyond repair the frame has snapped :/

that doesn't sound too great kitty, what was the description in the auction? Presumably you were expecting them to be in better condition - do you have any recourse to the seller?

KittyKat
16th January 2009, 18:23
No they were bought as seen (or unseen in my case lol) it said they were catalogue returns and some would be faulty but some are heavily used and faulty :( it said some would be new where customers change their mind etc i think there are 2 new ones in the whole lot and one of those was returned because the stitching is loose on the raincover no big deal but both are cheap prams anyway all the expensive ones are pretty much very broken! Here's the link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270326497499&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=017
I will update how I get on but I very much doubt I'll be doing it again its the space too, they are currently in my bedroom, hall, lounge, kitchen and outhouse lol

Its also amazing how dirty some of them are people have obviously taken these prams back to the shop with crisps and remains of all sorts in them!

Gizmos
16th January 2009, 18:49
dont thnk you've any recourse from seller - I'd have steered clear of a listing with this wording

NOTE: Please do not buy these items unless you read this full listing and agree to all the terms and conditions below. These goods are sold on an "AS SEEN" basis and all sales are final. These are "raw unchecked customer returns" and are not tested or checked and should be assumed faulty...therefore we do not offer any refunds for any undiscovered/undisclosed defects in the merchandise. We do not accept any returns or offer refunds due high frieght costs and the nature of return pallets.

pumpkin
16th January 2009, 21:42
oh kitty, hope you manage to sell at least enough to get your money back hun

good luck :hug:

janedoe
16th January 2009, 21:54
This sounds abit like the seller has bought from one of the catalogue websites and has realised he has bought stuff that he can't get his money back on and then flogged it on ebay to get his money back, I really do hope you get some of or all of your money back, and I will pm you a website that offers pallet loads of stuff for selling. :)

KittyKat
16th January 2009, 22:07
Cheers janedoe.

Oh yeah I knew exactly what i was getting myself into I was quite surprised that nay of them actually had wheels at all! I wouldnt tell the seller I wasnt happy I think I might break even maybe a bit more who knows but in the meantime my place is an assault course which would be a pain in the bum if i was to do this all the time!
I spoke to the guy apparantly they've been buying pallets for a while they have other listings on now.
On a positive note all the belly and tongue bars i ordered arrived i think these will sell well.
Must stay away from ebay
Must stay away from ebay
Must stay away from ebay!
lol

Mamzie
16th January 2009, 22:47
Janedoe, could i be cheeky and ask you to pm me the website as well please?

janedoe
16th January 2009, 23:01
No probs, I think it's listed in the Traders mag thats out on sale anyway, did have all of them saved in my favs on the old computer which went belly up but will have a search around on the internet for them, I did buy an ebook thing from ebay and the seller was great and sent updates every now and again but he jacked in and moved to Bulgaria to sell plots of land with run down houses on and not had an email from him for ages.

janedoe
16th January 2009, 23:09
Here you go:

http://www.gemwholesale.co.uk/main.html

quite easy to find on the itnernet, I think they do all sorts of stuff inc prams,clothing, elecs etc and they do grade some of their stuff so you know what sort of stuff you are buying.

KittyKat
16th January 2009, 23:58
Thanks Jane :) Great that the stuff is graded too

angelic
17th January 2009, 10:01

I would say the seller was very careful and clever with the description wording on the auction as no way does it in anyway suggest the items you will receive would be in the dreadful condition they are IMHO?

Quite possible he has bought several of these pallets, taken out the best and made his own boxes up with mainly junk to sell on to unsuspecting Ebayers :(

As he must be registered as a business, may be worth a read of the Business Selling Regs to see if you do have any recourse?

KittyKat
17th January 2009, 12:11
Thanks Angelic, but I think it was quite clear I knew what I was getting myself into and had joked that none of them would come with wheels so in a way i've got a much better deal than i expected I'm going to work my way through them today and try and work out how much I can sell the good ones for and then see how much spare parts are for the others, I think theres a few that might have to go straight in the bin. Yes I think you're probably right they've probably been buying a few pallets themselves

obscure
17th January 2009, 12:27
Hi Kitty

I just want to say that I like your responses to the above. You knew what you were buying, it was always a gamble and it may or may not pay off, sounds like you certainly wont make a fortune though. As you said a bigger version of the "Bag O'Crap".

You rarely get something for nothing, particularly on Ebay, of course the seller would have sold the best himself and glossed over the condition of the ones on your pallet, thats why it was a blind sale!

You bought with your eyes open and are taking it on the chin not whining about it!!
Well done.
I hope you can make enought to have made it worth while.

KittyKat
6th February 2009, 23:53
Just an update:
Sold 2 pushchairs have 65 from sales so still owe me 205 lol

Anyone want a dodgy pram!

pookienoodle
7th February 2009, 13:15
Just an update:
Sold 2 pushchairs have 65 from sales so still owe me 205 lol

Anyone want a dodgy pram!

I think they will sell better in the summer months.
not exactly pram weather at the mo.
do you think you will break even in the end?

janedoe
7th February 2009, 13:55
Well done, as pookie said it's not pram/pushchair weather at the mo and sales should increase as it gets warmer.