PDA

View Full Version : My poor chicken....

JenFeet
17th January 2009, 22:27
Hi all...

Bit of a sad day today because Alice was dead in the chicken coop this morning. She had seemed a bit quiet yesterday but they all ate and drank fine. Sadly this morning she was a goner.

Only talking to one of the local farmers yesterday who said that these rehomed birds didn't seem to last long once they left the chicken shed - bearing in mind this had been a 'free range' chicken - it could be that they're just not hardy enough to be left in an unheated home.

Feel really sad and disappointed and sad. I hope the other 5 aren't traumatised by having seen their friend 'pass on'...

Just wanted to ask had anyone who rehomed hens had this happen and whether I should prepare the kids that the other 5 mightn't be long for this life... None have laid for the last 2 days now... Hope Alice didn't have anything 'catchable'....

Advice gratefully received. Thanks.
Jen x

Tuckerpoo
17th January 2009, 22:38
Oh Jen I am sorry hun. I'm not sure that chickens have the same emotions that we do. :hug:I think warning the kids might be wise though.

Mamzie
18th January 2009, 00:10
I am sorry, must have been a shock for you

colman
18th January 2009, 09:04
You ought to check them for mites jen as this can be catchable and can be fatal too if left untreated....sometimes they do just die for no reason...sorry to hear one has died though its not nice...

JenFeet
18th January 2009, 10:35
Thanks everyone. Will check the others for mites today. They're all in fine form this morning and eating lots so fingers crossed.

Thanks all.
Jen x

mutley muppet
18th January 2009, 12:11
Sorry about your chicken Jen. Poor little thing.
At least she had a good life and was never shut up in a battery shed like some are.
MM x

devon1972
18th January 2009, 17:35
gutted ... i hate it when animals die ...

JenFeet
19th January 2009, 20:47
Just letting you all know that my remaining 5 hens are in good form (except no eggs!!) and eating for Scotland so hopefully all will be ok.

Thanks for your help.
Jen x

Tuckerpoo
19th January 2009, 22:12
I'm really glad the other chickens are ok hun :D

JenFeet
20th March 2009, 21:52
Oh dear... My poor Esna and Doris were taken today - we're not sure if it was a fox or bird of prey that got them. Poor poor girls. And Lady, Grandma and Blue have been too scared to come out of their coop today...

Down to 3 chickens now.

Esna was a proper big girl now too - she was the leader of the pack and a real hard-knock - always out on her own (the chickens are free range in the day time)... Poor lady.

Oh I feel so bad for them and hope they didn't suffer too much.
Although they still don't lay eggs they're our girls and we'll miss them very much. Doesn't that sound daft!

Jenxxx

addictedtosaving
20th March 2009, 21:57
Sorry to hear about your chicks, Jen. It doesn't sound daft at all, I can only imagine how protective you must have felt about them. :hug:

Mamzie
20th March 2009, 21:58
of course its not daft hun, they were part of your family. Really sorry for you.

Maldives
20th March 2009, 22:03
:hug:

princesskerry
20th March 2009, 22:03
Sorry to hear about your loss Jen. :hug:

Dolly Daydream
20th March 2009, 22:53
Oh hun :hug: so sorry

Grace & Favour
21st March 2009, 07:23
Hi all...

Bit of a sad day today because Alice was dead in the chicken coop this morning. She had seemed a bit quiet yesterday but they all ate and drank fine. Sadly this morning she was a goner.

Only talking to one of the local farmers yesterday who said that these rehomed birds didn't seem to last long once they left the chicken shed - bearing in mind this had been a 'free range' chicken - it could be that they're just not hardy enough to be left in an unheated home.

Feel really sad and disappointed and sad. I hope the other 5 aren't traumatised by having seen their friend 'pass on'...

Just wanted to ask had anyone who rehomed hens had this happen and whether I should prepare the kids that the other 5 mightn't be long for this life... None have laid for the last 2 days now... Hope Alice didn't have anything 'catchable'....

Advice gratefully received. Thanks.
Jen x

Very sorry to hear of your losses Jen . . .

I don't keep fowl - - but know a few who do . . . .and my first suggestion is that when you get the next batch - always get them checked over by your Vet - - problems avoided are always better than problems solved.

And - if you think you've foxes in the area, you will have to take steps to 'Fox-proof' your hutch/run . .

For they will be back

(If it's not foxes, they could always have been half-inched by ner'-do-wells of course! - they are more difficult to cope with!!!!)

Darkangel709
21st March 2009, 08:40
Sorry to hear of your loss g.dad used to keep chickens. On of em was called psycho and one was called houdini.....lol.....as for them not laying it could be to do with the weather. Hope the other 3 are ok hun xxxx Do you give them hot mash?

JenFeet
21st March 2009, 15:31
And - if you think you've foxes in the area, you will have to take steps to 'Fox-proof' your hutch/run . .

For they will be back

(If it's not foxes, they could always have been half-inched by ner'-do-wells of course! - they are more difficult to cope with!!!!)

Oh we definitely have foxes here as I watch them running across my field with bunnies in their mouths (which I know isn't a nice thought but there are gazillions of bunnies here and they eat everything and dig huge warrens under my house so are a real nuisance!)

The more we think about it the more we suspect buzzards - there were 3 circling quite low overhead together yesterday calling / screaching and the poor birds just wouldn't leave their house.

We didn't find the 2 chickens just some of their paler feathers from underneath and in our back garden - not near their coop at all. We also think if it was a fox it would have got to all of them? And a fox would have had to be in our back garden to have done this and we've never had them that close. Deers - yes! Foxes - no!

Our only other thought and I don't know if it could be possible is ferral cats of which there are plenty too. And we DO have evidence of these in the vicinity of our house / garden and we often see them on the field too. Our old (fat) labrador tries his best to see them off but....

Now we're in a quandry - do we build the girls a fortress to live in and not let them roam free - at least they'd be safe? These are rehomed factory birds and it seems so awful to take their freedom away from them when they've only really just discovered it! They've gotten so big and healthy and strong since they've come to live here but now they're getting eaten by things! Aaaggh! What to do for the best?

Thanks to everyone for your kind words!
Jen x

Darkangel709
21st March 2009, 16:14
Jen why dont you build an extension run for them?? and stick chicken wire over the top of it....and it could be stress related why they arent laying or could be just the weather thats put them off....or one last thing could be at the end of there laying. What would you rather have chickens that roam free and get eaten or chickens that have got a lot more room to roam than they did and hopefully are safe? So only you can answer that one hun and weigh up the benefits of each. Good luck xxxx