PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Shop Questions

Flo
23rd February 2007, 10:00
I noticed that chickencottage has changed to a shop, and I wondered if this is a lot cheaper than just listing items normally. I have considered opening a shop but was worried that the listings aren't as visible as normal listings and I thought it might work out more expensive. I sell probably 40-50 items a week and this usually picks up through the summer. Most items sell before having to relist but I know that with a shop your listings are longer.

Any advice, info appreciated.

Gizmos
23rd February 2007, 10:19
Flo - am sure Chicken will be along to give you some advice but would just like to whish you luck if you start one up

ChickenCottage
23rd February 2007, 11:00
Hello Flo :)
My answer to that would be definitely YES!
I'm sorry I didn't do it ages ago.
Main advantages to having a shop

1/ Use your shop as an inventory for all your items. Listing is cheap, I pay approx 7p a listing, plus 7p with gallery = 14p for one item or you can list multiple quantities in the same listing for the one 14p.
This will run for 30 days. You can set your preferences to automatically relist if they aren't sold at the end of the 30 days.
So it's low maintance once you have your stuff up in your inventory.

2/ you get a fab link to looking at statistics for your site, see how many visitors you've had, what's your most popular item, what time of day is best, etc etc, loads and loads of browsable statistics for your shop.

3/ You can futter around with your front page.
For instance at the moment I have this (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/TopsShop)
as opposed to the ebay default layout would be
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/TopsShop_W0QQfsubZ0QQsclZQ2d1QQtZkm

Nice bigger thumbnails too on the default page.

4/ you get to design your own logos and customise your shop (great fun)
5/ I love having the shop menu bar down the left hand side for buyers to easily access their size.
6/ I list and finish 2 or three auctions every night, which include bold signposts to visit my shop.
I use a subtitle on each one to further promote my shop. As I'm not listing as much on the auctions I can afford to use the 35p extra subtitle as I have listed everything else so cheaply in my shop.
7/ sales have been way up for deflated months like January and FEB
8/ If peeps sign up for your newsletter, its so easy to do and ebay let you send 1000 free a month.
9/ ebay are as keen as you to find ways to drive buyers to your site, so they are very helpful with all sorts of tutorials.

SUMMARY:
6.00 a month for the basic shop, low listing fees, handy buy it nows for buyers, all sorts of statistics, lower maintainence, great ebay assistance, MORE SALES.

Flo
23rd February 2007, 19:18
Looks great, can I just clarify when you say in 6/ that you list a few with subtitles, are these just in normal listings or shop listings. I'm confused with how shops show up in the listings when buyers search.

devondumpling
23rd February 2007, 22:39
For the amount of things you're selling I would definitely recommend it too. I've had a shop for about a year and it's definitely cheaper and easier than normal listings. Shop items show up when there aren't many other normal listings in a particular search ie. if only three people were selling 'a gold ring' in the auction then the listing page would also show shops that were selling 'a gold ring' (cheapest shop first) underneath. Hope that makes sense:confused:

As a shop you can also see what keywords have brought people to your shop which is helpful. And you can see charts which compare your sales to the previous month.

Don't get complacent though, I find my sales are definitely higher when I run a few auctions and fixed price listings to bring people to my shop. A bit like fishing - you have to throw a bit of bait into the water rather than just sitting there with a net:fish2:
Good Luck

ChickenCottage
23rd February 2007, 22:54
Looks great, can I just clarify when you say in 6/ that you list a few with subtitles, are these just in normal listings or shop listings. I'm confused with how shops show up in the listings when buyers search.

yes as devon says, I mean that you choose a few juicy items from your shop inventory and send them out to the ordinary auction to fish in a few. :)
(and for these listing I use a subtitle)
Don't rely on your items being seen so much when people search, for as Devon says they will be right at the end, so you must promote your shop by listing in the auctions as well.

Flo
24th February 2007, 08:49
So do these listings show up in your shop and in normal listings. I assume you get the option to pay the extra to have them in the normal auctions when you are creating your listings. I had a look at the shop fees and noticed the fvfs are more.

ChickenCottage
24th February 2007, 13:46
They will either be listed in myebay as auction or shop inventory
At the right hand right drop down menu you get an option send to online auction
Fees are more yes

Lets take an example:
say an item was on the auction for starting .99 selling 9.99
15p + 15 gallery insertion fees + 52p final fees = 82p
say it was sold from your inventory
3p listing 7p gallery insertion fees + 99p final fees= 109p

another example:
say an item was on the auction for starting 9.99 selling 14.99
35p + 15 gallery insertion fees + 78p final fees = 128p
say it was sold from your inventory
5p listing 7p gallery insertion fees + 1.49p final fees= 1.62p

So, it's more expensive to sell from the shop
but
you have to counteract this against the fact that the shop listing is for 30days
The auction listing is for 7 days (average)
and if you work out that you are selling 30% of your stock on each auction, or 50% if you are lucky, then you have to think about how many insertion fees you are paying to get an item sold.

Flo
25th February 2007, 19:49
Okay, I think I'm getting there.lol. You are listing the majority of your stock in the inventory and just a few in the auction listings to get people to look in your shop. One more question sorry, do both types of listings last for the 30 days?
I can see the advantage I could buy and list more stock at once instead of worrying whether it will sell within the 7/14 days.

ChickenCottage
25th February 2007, 20:11
Once you send to online auction then it's just the same as usual, 3 days, 5 days 7 days etc etc.

ChickenCottage
26th February 2007, 23:37
Flo, I hope you found this information useful ..
as I put a lot of time into my posts for you.

devondumpling
27th February 2007, 13:42
Thanks Chicken - I found your info really useful as although I've had a shop for a year, I didn't actually realise that the final fees were more! Still no regrets on having a shop though.

ChickenCottage
27th February 2007, 13:48
Thank Devon :) Typing put the information consolidates it in my mind too and I don't mind at all and try to answer the questions as fully and as comprehensively as I can, for it helps me too.
I just had no feedback from Flo and errr I guess I was being bit mean and just giving her a poke :)

devondumpling
27th February 2007, 13:55
Thank Devon :) Typing put the information consolidates it in my mind too and I don't mind at all and try to answer the questions as fully and as comprehensively as I can, for it helps me too.
I just had no feedback from Flo and errr I guess I was being bit mean and just giving her a poke :)

Perhaps she's opened up a shop and is busy listing things:D
I tried to rep you but got a message saying that I've got to spread my reps around first:confused:

suziq
14th March 2007, 21:08
i'll never gat all my tat listed!!!!
what terms do they have? a percentage? is there a minimum value for items?

any help appreciated:D

gobbyash
7th April 2007, 12:55
Selling vouchers to attractions.

The vouchers were realistically priced at 5 per pair plus 50p postage but Ebay wanted to charge 3 because I had numerous sets, so I have changed the price to 99p per pair plus 5 postage and the fee is now 35p.

Have I done anything wrong be doing this?

gobby

Gizmos
7th April 2007, 12:58

The vouchers were realistically priced at 5 per pair plus 50p postage but Ebay wanted to charge 3 because I had numerous sets, so I have changed the price to 99p per pair plus 5 postage and the fee is now 35p.

gobby

Just be careful people dont report you for hiking up the P&P, that would be my main concern, good luck with it though :)

Hummer
7th April 2007, 12:59
Well if anyone reports you then eBay will close the auctions, do the same thing 3 times and they suspend you for at least a week.

eBay do not go looking for breaches of the rules, they rely on the members to report you.

To be reported either a seller that sells the same item will report you or a buyer that thinks the 5 postage is wrong will report you.

tiger
7th April 2007, 13:13
So, in other words, if someone has an axe to grind they could report three listings and get somebody's account suspended?
That stinks.

DaisyChain
7th April 2007, 13:14
Does the reporter remain anonymous as well - seems wide open for abuse/malice to me ?

gobbyash
7th April 2007, 13:16
As I am fairly new to ebay, I was not even aware of these rules - lol.

The item is being sold in my shop, and e-bay takes a monthly fee - so surely, I can choose how much to sell the item for and how much to charge for postage - it's up to the buyer to decide if they wish to purchase.

gobby

SuzyWoo
7th April 2007, 13:21
It's called fee avoidance Gobby.

gobbyash
7th April 2007, 13:33
Yeh, but its a 12 mile round trip to the main post office, m'lord

gobby

PS Think I'll see how this goes. Clearly, I don't want to get banned.

Grace & Favour
7th April 2007, 13:43

gobby

I must admit that 3 for numerous sets seems reasonable gobby!

and besides - with so many people offering tickets with postage between 50p and 1, you are rather drawing attention to yourself my friend!!!

gobbyash
7th April 2007, 13:48
I must admit that 3 for numerous sets seems reasonable gobby!

Hi Grace

I'm sure it is - but I wasn't sure what would happen if I didn't sell any or just one, for eg. Then, it would be expensive.

I've got further items to add after I have seen how effective it is and can revert back to the normal price plus 50p on those items.

I guess I am still learning....

gobby

whamfanuk
7th April 2007, 15:00
your asking for some negative feedback re postage charges me thinks

ChickenCottage
7th April 2007, 15:04
good luck Gobby :)

You might want to read this (http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/listing-shipping.html) as they discourage tipping the balance towards p&p and they may just take your listings down and you lose your listing fees.

whamfanuk
7th April 2007, 15:06
might also suspend your account

ChickenCottage
7th April 2007, 15:08
and they might beat you with sticks out of the hedge :lol:

Cinderella
7th April 2007, 15:15
circumventing fees.... some ebayite will report it, be careful :)

clockwatcher
7th April 2007, 16:29
and they might beat you with sticks out of the hedge :lol:

Don't promise him that! ;)

Hummer
8th April 2007, 12:14
So, in other words, if someone has an axe to grind they could report three listings and get somebody's account suspended?
That stinks.

Yes it stinks someone from here had an axe to grind with me and for nearly 4 month shut my eBay business down totally.

Its not nice. Although of course they still have to find things to report.

Gizmos
8th April 2007, 12:26
Yes it stinks someone from here had an axe to grind with me and for nearly 4 month shut my eBay business down totally.

someone from here? do you want to tell - might have something to do with PTS auctions being pulled and also quite a few other members having problems lately as well.

If someone is being malicous on the forum then they would immediately be banned. Can't believe someone would be so petty though - and would think any problems/disputes could be sorted out amicably.

gobbyash
8th April 2007, 12:30

I have changed the auction to 4.99 per pair of tickets plus 50p postage.

gobby

tiger
8th April 2007, 12:32

Sorry to hear that, Hummer.
I hope if it was someone on here, that they are now regretting their actions.
Do you have a reason to suspect someone on here?
I really hope that none of our members would be so vindictive.
Are you able to open another account in a different name, or even under a family member name?

Gizmos
8th April 2007, 12:33

gobby

hope that these stories havent scared you - sorry if they have - best of luck with your venture

Cinderella
8th April 2007, 12:35

gobby

I think that's prob better for u Gobby- i wouldn't risk it myself- like i said earlier there's always some ebayite (minus the *sh*) that will report you:pout:
so what tickets u got then?? pm me ur ebay id and i'll check out ur shop:)

gobbyash
8th April 2007, 12:40
I think that's prob better for u Gobby- i wouldn't risk it myself- like i said earlier there's always some ebayite (minus the *sh*) that will report you:pout:
so what tickets u got then?? pm me ur ebay id and i'll check out ur shop:)

Not yet, it's still in its infancy

But let me know what attractions you like to go to locally and if they are on the list I will send you some complimentary.

gobby

Cinderella
8th April 2007, 12:42

But let me know what attractions you like to go to locally and if they are on the list I will send you some complimentary.

gobby

:hug: cheers Gobby.... off to compile a list:D

added: i'm repped out- will remember u tomorrow tho:hug:

Gizmos
8th April 2007, 12:42

gobby

that's so kind of you - you can be the PTS Day out Organiser - got any for Drayton Manor

gobbyash
8th April 2007, 12:43
that's so kind of you - you can be the PTS Day out Organiser - got any for Drayton Manor

I thought I was already :) Well, I've offered to give SuzyWoo a helping hand!!

Yes, Drayton Manor is on the list and is my number one seller.

gobby

Gizmos
8th April 2007, 12:45
I thought I was already :) Well, I've offered to give SuzyWoo a helping hand!!

Yes, Drayton Manor is on the list and is my number one seller.

gobby

cool - did a date get finalised (I dont mean between you and SuzyWoo :D ) - August I think?? Sorry brain not in gear this morning I sent it away for the wekend.

Gizmos
8th April 2007, 12:54

misread this before and thought it said "for a month" but FOUR MONTHS - thats absurd, no wonder you are having a few problems - some peole just hate to see others suceeding - when there is a litle something in this world for everyone - enough to go around

gobbyash
8th April 2007, 12:54
cool - did a date get finalised (I dont mean between you and SuzyWoo :D ) - August I think?? Sorry brain not in gear this morning I sent it away for the wekend.

I think it was Sat 4/ Sun 5 August with some coming on the Saturday, some coming on the Sunday and some of us have a stop over and going on both days.

gobby

Hummer
8th April 2007, 13:27
Sorry to hear that, Hummer.
I hope if it was someone on here, that they are now regretting their actions.
Do you have a reason to suspect someone on here?
I really hope that none of our members would be so vindictive.
Are you able to open another account in a different name, or even under a family member name?

In the end yes a family member opened an account in a completely different town in a completely different county. And after I hinted on here I was back in action and gave a clue to the new user name I was suspended within 24 hours again! No one else knew except the person who's credit card I used for address verification. I don't think somehow they would closed down the PTS auction though :rolleyes:

Mamzie
8th April 2007, 13:51
OMG, Hummer thats terrible, are you on ebay at all now??? Totally understandable if you don't want to say through.

Don't you have any idea who it could be???

SuzyWoo
8th April 2007, 13:53
I'm not sure I've ever sold anything interesting enough to be reported!

tiger
8th April 2007, 13:54
In the end yes a family member opened an account in a completely different town in a completely different county. And after I hinted on here I was back in action and gave a clue to the new user name I was suspended within 24 hours again! No one else knew except the person who's credit card I used for address verification. I don't think somehow they would closed down the PTS auction though :rolleyes:
I know someone else on here who has had problems since being reported to ebay, for something they hadn't done.
If it is someone on here that's being spiteful, then it's just a pity they haven't got better things to do with their time.

Mamzie
8th April 2007, 13:54
Just reread your post, why don't you think they would have targetted the PTS auctions too?? It seems strange for auctions that are mentioned on here to be getting singled out and reported.

Has anyone else had any auctions reported???

princess_poppet
8th April 2007, 18:35
really strange all this glad i am not an EBayer!

Has Hevs ebay account been ok tho Hummer? It hasnt been reported has it or anything?

Hummer
9th April 2007, 11:49
really strange all this glad i am not an EBayer!

Has Hevs ebay account been ok tho Hummer? It hasnt been reported has it or anything?

Hev opened an ebay account around Christamas. She only purchased 1 item from eBay never sold anything it was reported to eBay just as I was sorting out my other accounts which then resuspended my accounts again. Ohh I was cross at her :target:

princess_poppet
9th April 2007, 22:06
Hev opened an ebay account around Christamas. She only purchased 1 item from eBay never sold anything it was reported to eBay just as I was sorting out my other accounts which then resuspended my accounts again. Ohh I was cross at her :target:

how many EBay accounts are you allowed per person then?? :noidea:

Hummer
9th April 2007, 22:44
how many EBay accounts are you allowed per person then?? :noidea:

I guess your aloud as many as you want I have always had 2 one to buy and one to sell. I've never sold anything private so far but I guess then you would need 1 for private 1 for business and one to buy. Otherwise keeping track of the VAT and TAX accounting would be a nightmare.

A few people in my town just got hit by the Tax office for selling on eBay although they only sold personal stuff they didn't need they said due to the amount of money going through the paypal account in such a short time its classed as a small business.

They do track eBay within a week of me advertising on eBay the vat inspector sent a letter to check my books, the first question was had I ever sold on eBay I said yes and she said yes i was looking at your listings and produced printouts. They then explained the rules and what I was doing wrong. I think its paypal that alert the HM gov to you eBay activity.

Blue Stripes
9th April 2007, 23:25
I got suspended for a month for selling DVDs a couple of years ago. Thing was there were plenty of other people selling the same titles. Presume I must have trod on someone's foot. Had to grovel to get the account back. Never touched a DVD since.

princess_poppet
9th April 2007, 23:30
where they dodgy DVDS then blue stripes?

Blue Stripes
9th April 2007, 23:40
where they dodgy DVDS then blue stripes?

Not dodgy in the terms of pirated. Not even soft porn although one title was Gladiator Eroticus:D. Emailed Amazon Marketplace before listing them and they said there was no problem so that's how I got rid of them.

princess_poppet
9th April 2007, 23:43
Not dodgy in the terms of pirated. Not even soft porn although one title was Gladiator Eroticus:D. Emailed Amazon Marketplace before listing them and they said there was no problem so that's how I got rid of them.

I dont get EBays logic at times Blue Stripes! :confused:

Blue Stripes
9th April 2007, 23:47
I dont get EBays logic at times Blue Stripes! :confused:

Me neither!

princess_poppet
9th April 2007, 23:51
I think EBay sint what it use to be sadly. How do you get on with selling on Amazon Blue stripes? Is it just as profitable as EBay?

Blue Stripes
10th April 2007, 16:26
I think EBay sint what it use to be sadly. How do you get on with selling on Amazon Blue stripes? Is it just as profitable as EBay?

I think ebay is probably a freer market. Difficult to say really. I mainly used Amazon to get rid of the DVDs and a few of my old books. Ebay is more popular so I'd say you can probably get more swings on prices (possibly in your favour on it). Everyone thinks of ebay when they want to buy or sell something so will look there first and may not even think of looking on another site such as Amazon. We are victims of its success, but then again we all contributed to the success.

princess_poppet
10th April 2007, 16:40
I think ebay is probably a freer market. Difficult to say really. I mainly used Amazon to get rid of the DVDs and a few of my old books. Ebay is more popular so I'd say you can probably get more swings on prices (possibly in your favour on it). Everyone thinks of ebay when they want to buy or sell something so will look there first and may not even think of looking on another site such as Amazon. We are victims of its success, but then again we all contributed to the success.

You are right Blue stripes as much as we love to hate it it is the first place we turn to as you say!

I wish i had thought of EBay! :rolleyes: lol

mrsm
12th April 2007, 14:02
Me neither!

Ebay seems to have some very funny ways. I have several friends you use cloth nappies and re sell when they are outgrown. Ebay used to be a big place to buy and sell nappies but lately they keep removing listings for preloved (used) nappies because they are deemed as being possibly of an adult nature:eek:

Blue Stripes
14th April 2007, 00:21
Ebay seems to have some very funny ways. I have several friends you use cloth nappies and re sell when they are outgrown. Ebay used to be a big place to buy and sell nappies but lately they keep removing listings for preloved (used) nappies because they are deemed as being possibly of an adult nature:eek:

I'm trying to imagine an adult trying to put on a baby's new or used cloth nappy and my mind boggles.

sandhabibi
15th April 2007, 10:13
I have had strange goings on lately with ebay.....2 auctions reported but I saw why... I had relisted something about 4times as had more then 1 of the item and onlast time it was reported lol It was a fcuk gift set, Yep you've guessed it I made a spelling mistake in the details but strange it was ok the first 3 times it was listed.....The next item was removed as I should have covered over abit of item.....

Sarah
15th April 2007, 10:37
Hows your ebay shop going gobby