PDA

View Full Version : Who's planted what seeds yet in garden/allotment?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

colman
18th March 2009, 16:29
Following on from tiger's thread....who has planted seeds out yet.

I've got my onions and garlic in the allotment and also planted some early carrots outside on Monday too.

Broad beans are doing nicely aswell at the moment.

Got celeriac, parsnips and leeks in the cold frame which are about 1 inch tall and doing lovely...

Deedee
18th March 2009, 16:56
red onions, carrots are in the ground/bins... Peppers, toms, chillis, herbs, cauli, brocolli and something else are in greenhouse, spuds are still chitting..
Sweet peas and peas also ...I forgot about them.

junglie
18th March 2009, 19:44
Put my potatoes in yesterday and onions and garlic a few weeks ago. Planted up sweetpea seeds and pepper seeds Oh and a few lettuce in my mini greenhouse. I am hoping to have an allotment full of flowers much to my husbands disgust! We can't eat those he says but I just love going around snip snip snip and having the house full of flowers!

jamsandwhich
18th March 2009, 20:13
Potato's in the bags, carrots, and something else?:shocked: can't for the life of me remember what! in the greenhouse. Have had to put willow screening around the bottom of the greenhouse though - bit jittery about one of the girls tripping and going through the glass. Am going to fill one side with tomato's and the other courgettes, salad leaf and aubergines. Also small bed in front of greenhouse which will be home to runner beans, dwarf french beans and sweet peas.

Anyone else have trouble with tom's last year due to no sun? Ours were rubbish and ended up making green tomato chutney (recipe courtesy of baffled - ta) which was lovely but not as lovely as eating fresh tomato's.

Am currently trying to find a buyer for the small boat and trailer which is sat at the end of the garden so I can build some raised beds and get a second shed for toys etc! (or a place to escape!!)

Deedee
18th March 2009, 20:17
my tommytom toms went black last year (did go on hols in May, then not much sun)

suziq
18th March 2009, 20:23
what kind of boat jam butty?

nothing planted here yet arrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh

penfold
18th March 2009, 20:27
my tommytom toms went black last year (did go on hols in May, then not much sun)

my tomatoes were rubbish last year..very slow to develop and only a few ripened...also lots of white fly.

andylaine
18th March 2009, 20:31
have had garlic and red and white onions in since October and they are really coming on with the sun this week.

yesterday I sowed sorrel, american land cress, rocket, sangria and red oak leave lettuces, mixed salad leaves and little gem lettuces outside and today have done cherry tomatoes, basil, parsley,swiss chard and mangetoute in pots in the conservatory. all of these will go outside at the end of May/beg of June, then next month will sow french beans, borlotti beans, climbing french beans and courgettes and fennel indoors.

will also buy an aubergine, chilli and mini cucumber plant from the garden centre to grow in the conservatory as theres only me that will eat these so works out cheaper to buy one plant than a packet of seeds.
Im still trying to decide whether to do normal size tomatoes after last year when they didn't ripen outside or just stick with the cherry ones which were fine.

jamsandwhich
18th March 2009, 20:31
what kind of boat jam butty?

nothing planted here yet arrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh

It's a wooden mirror dinghy (sp) seems a shame to be sat in my garden rather than out on the sea/lakes.

Tomato's were funny last year - someone from here pointed me in the direction of an allotments forum and it seemed that most of the country had probs with tomato's not ripening last year whereas the year before mine were like triffids!

I like jam butty much better, suits me more - I am more like a big old butty than a dainty little sandwich!

andylaine
18th March 2009, 20:38
my tomatoes were rubbish last year..very slow to develop and only a few ripened...also lots of white fly.

I was plagued with whitefly last year too :mad:

I asked for advice at the garden centre and they suggested 'Provado ultimate bug killer' its safe for use on tomatoes,peppers,cucumbers, aubergine and courgettes as well as flowers, herbs, fruit and salads. I only used it the once as it was near the end of the season by then but it seemed to work. will try it earlier this year and see what happens

jamsandwhich
18th March 2009, 20:41
The squares of sticky paper you hang in the greenhouse are great - unless you get your hair stuck on it - seemed to be all on there and not our toms.

penfold
18th March 2009, 20:41
I like jam butty much better, suits me more - I am more like a big old butty than a dainty little sandwich!

Oh, you've gone and done it now!!!

Have just had a craving for a big juicy bacon butty with just picked tomatoes...I swear my mouth is watering :o

penfold
18th March 2009, 20:43
I was plagued with whitefly last year too :mad:

I asked for advice at the garden centre and they suggested 'Provado ultimate bug killer' its safe for use on tomatoes,peppers,cucumbers, aubergine and courgettes as well as flowers, herbs, fruit and salads. I only used it the once as it was near the end of the season by then but it seemed to work. will try it earlier this year and see what happens

Poo..have some of that in the shed as well, just never thought to use it..suppose I just kind of gave up in the end :( Will be more determined this year!!

jamsandwhich
18th March 2009, 20:45
Hmmm bacon in a lovely soft floured stottie bun - have both in the freezer - have just had pasta and pesto salad for tea. Nice but not as nice as a BACON BUTTY!!!

Deedee
18th March 2009, 20:46
ommm , with real butter dripping out of the side crusts with the hot bacon fat...oh no!!

andylaine
18th March 2009, 20:48
ommm , with real butter dripping out of the side crusts with the hot bacon fat...oh no!!

and fried mushrooms on the top - will you lot stop it, Im supposed to be on a diet and Im drooling at the thought now :D

penfold
18th March 2009, 20:50

with just a drop of HP as well :love:

(are you still with us Andylaine??? ;))

andylaine
18th March 2009, 20:53
with just a drop of HP as well :love:

(are you still with us Andylaine??? ;))

nooooo....... Im going now before Im tempted lol

Polo
18th March 2009, 21:42
And I thought this was a healthy thread about growing my own veggies :rolleyes:

Can't see me growing a pig...

numpty
18th March 2009, 21:45
(numpty runs to cook some bacon!)

Deedee
19th March 2009, 07:08
**Deedee researchers how much land is needed to keep a pig or 2! lol

Forgot to add, today at some point I'll be preparing the front garden a bit more for the Dahlia beds (pom pom and starburst) and will hopefully be raising a few flowers in the greenhouse too.... Flowers out front, food out back!

joload
19th March 2009, 07:36
red onions, carrots are in the ground/bins... Peppers, toms, chillis, herbs, cauli, brocolli and something else are in greenhouse, spuds are still chitting..
Sweet peas and peas also ...I forgot about them.

I've got my peas onthe window cill at the moment and this morning just noticed some flowers....not sure about transferingthem outside now.

other stuff I have -

caulis planted last year got about a 2inch size cauli in them
Garlic

on the cill
onions
toms
spuds chitting
and my peas flowering???

mummytotwo
19th March 2009, 08:04
how long does it take for spuds to chit?

colman
19th March 2009, 08:14
i've had mine chitting for about 6 weeks or so...

toms were disastrous for me last year too, however my neighbour had a bumper crop which he couldn't eat so gave lots to me!!!

Deedee
19th March 2009, 08:15
to be honest Mummy, I am not really sure, I've been told as long as the "prongs?!" seem long enough, then that's it!

colman
19th March 2009, 08:16
going to get my peas started this week, in my little newspaper pots...

mummytotwo
19th March 2009, 09:21
thanks. think i may have left it too late as only started the potatoes yesterday!!!

Deedee
19th March 2009, 09:32
never too late! Crack on! lol

mummytotwo
19th March 2009, 10:33
Great.

Would love to have my own potatoes. What else could I do. I am looking at using an old wooden toy box as although I have a big garden it is a little overgrown :rolleyes: and want my children to be able to help me :D :D

jamsandwhich
19th March 2009, 10:56
mummytotwo - I have used grow bags stood on their ends with the tops rolled down. Am also going to get a couple of those plastic garden bin type things in bright colours with handles on the side - I think tesco sell them as toy tidies @ about 2.99 and home bargains had them last week - I am going to get a couple and put spuds in them.

numpty
19th March 2009, 10:57
Mummytotwo you can use most things for pots I use the compost bag stand on end take half out and pop in pots cover with 2" of compost and roll bag down, as they grow, roll bag up and cover with more compost till bag full! xx

jamsandwhich
19th March 2009, 10:59
www.allotments4all.co.uk

Just thought I would pop this on here - this is the site a pts'er pointed me in the direction of last year and it is great - loads of good info and really friendly. I am known as 'wilber' on there:)

I am desperate to get into wine making and they have a section on that.

mummytotwo
19th March 2009, 11:02
Great. Was using the toy box as I don't need ANY more toys in the house and this way I can move it out of DS house but use it too. I am hoping that it will mean that DS and DD will be able to reach it nicely :D

colman
19th March 2009, 19:18
www.allotments4all.co.uk

Just thought I would pop this on here - this is the site a pts'er pointed me in the direction of last year and it is great - loads of good info and really friendly. I am known as 'wilber' on there:)

I am desperate to get into wine making and they have a section on that.

thats the one i use to jam....its really useful isn't it...

scrumpyjane
19th March 2009, 21:07
I haven't got a garden as such, just a yard :( so i've been looking at different things to grow things in, and today in T's they had big black tubs reduced to 1.31 i think. I'm thinking if i put some holes in the bottom and some stones in the bottom they'll be ok. Please tell me if i'm wrong, cause planning to get them tomorrow!

andylaine
19th March 2009, 21:18
I haven't got a garden as such, just a yard :( so i've been looking at different things to grow things in, and today in T's they had big black tubs reduced to 1.31 i think. I'm thinking if i put some holes in the bottom and some stones in the bottom they'll be ok. Please tell me if i'm wrong, cause planning to get them tomorrow!

they sound fine, Ive bought similar tubs in the past and got Oh to drill holes in the bottom. you'll be surprised at how much you can grow, I do lots of mine in pots aswell as in the garden. good luck, give us a shout if you have any questions

scrumpyjane
19th March 2009, 21:26
Thankyou andylaine. That's great then, i'll get them in the morning. I used to have a garden and grew all sorts but since moving and having babies and no garden to speak off i haven't, apart from herbs on the windowsill. My sister knows people who have allotments and she's growing some different stuff to them so they can swop and i've joined in. Really looking forward to getting started :).

tiger
19th March 2009, 23:21
Florists buckets are good for plant growing.
Sometimes supermarkets or garden centres sell them for 10 or 15p each.
They hold about 10 litres of compost and I've found them good for growing tomatoes in.

jamsandwhich
20th March 2009, 09:35
We put our strawberries in hanging baskets last year and they did really well - easy to cover the whole thing with net too to stop the birds getting them, this is a really good thing to do if short on space as you can also put a couple of plants in to make it pretty.

Sadly we lost our redcurrants last year to a caterpillar! We out him in a jar to find out what he was but in a couple of hours turned into a chrysallis - we went out for the day a week later and upon our return there was a large comma butterfly in the jar so we let hom go in the garden. Lovely but I would have prefered my redcurrants!

colman
23rd April 2009, 13:18
hows everyones plots doing....my early spuds are up a few centimetres....peas and broadbeans are in...beetroot is up, am battling with my carrots which don't want to come up and neither does my spinach....think my radishes are up, but forgot what i planted in that row...parsnips are in their loo rolls in the ground..
hoping to get my brassicas in the next couple of weeks....OH bought home some old carpet to make some brassica colloars so they don't get cabbage root fly...all starting to look good, we even put in a scarecrow that the kids made last week which looks fab.

suziq
23rd April 2009, 13:21
wow coleman, been busy!
my seeds from bbc 'dig in' came this morning, i think i will do a couple of buckets of carrots yum yum

tiger
23rd April 2009, 13:24
I've not got as much in as I would have liked but it's a new area that we had to clear and level. It's not easy gardening on a hillside, but we've terraced a decent sized bed. I've got 2 types of pea and also broad beans planted.
I've got my runner beans started in paper pots. I intend to plant them out next week because I want them established before we go on holiday in a month's time. I have got lots of fleece and intend to cover the poles with it as there is still a risk of frost in this area until the end of May. The trouble is if you wait until then, it doesn't give a long enough season.

I've also got brassicas ready to plant.

Scrungee
23rd April 2009, 13:49
I've got quite a bit of seed in already:

beetroot, broom, carrots, celery (trench & self blanching), chillies, coriander, french beans (first sowing that will need protection), fennel (green & bronze), kale (curly, black & palm - pentland brig still to sow), kohlrabi, land cress, leeks (autumn & winter), lettuce (first sowings of several varieties), leaf beets, lovage, lupins, mexican marigolds (companion planting),nigella (flowers & seeds for flavouring), onions (spring & giant), parsley, peas, peppers, parsnips, pak choi, par-cel, poppies (seeds for bread), radish, radicchio, statice, sunflowers, strawflowers, sweet peas, tomatoes (outdoor) and turnips.

I've also planted garlic (spring & autumn, softneck & hardneck), gladioli, potatoes (charlotte & kestrel - desiree still to go in), shallots, onion setts (overwintering & spring planted) and dahlias (in the coldframes).

In about a week I'll be sowing borlotti beans, cannenelli beans, courgettes, cucumbers (outdoor), french beans, florence fennel, runner beans, marrows, pumpkins, sweetcorn, squashes salsify & scorzonera (both for flowers & roots).

I've given broad beans a miss this year.

Deedee
23rd April 2009, 13:51
Mine so far, so good, OH has dug up the central path (that split the garden) raised beds are done, just need to backfill my walkways! Greenhouse is busy, rabbit is happy!
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee174/DeeDee1973_photo/Garden008.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee174/DeeDee1973_photo/Garden002.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee174/DeeDee1973_photo/Garden003.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee174/DeeDee1973_photo/Garden004.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee174/DeeDee1973_photo/Garden005.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee174/DeeDee1973_photo/Garden006.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee174/DeeDee1973_photo/Garden007.jpg

Deedee
23rd April 2009, 13:54
ooo, I didnt post the patio area, as it is shocking! lol

jamsandwhich
23rd April 2009, 14:04
Hmmm nice rabbit - hope you have some spuds to go with that;)

I am of course joking! Looks good - we are getting rid of the boat at the weekend to my parents garden so am going to get a second shed next to my greenhouse and am going to do a couple of raised beds in front of it, OH thinks it is going to be a workshed with a patio in front for joinery etc - Bless!!!

tiger
23rd April 2009, 14:19
Dee I am so jealous of anyone with a level garden!
You've obviously been very busy.

Deedee
23rd April 2009, 14:45
Tiger, it wasn't level, if I stand down on the patio, the top of the garden is eye level, a gradual incline... Jam, the green pop up bags are spuds, and the big blue ikea bag behind the greenhouse is more carrots!

tiger
23rd April 2009, 15:33
Yes, I can see now I look properly. Still more level than mine though. I have steps to each level. From the top of the back garden I can look down at the roof of the house. From the house I can look down on a neighbours roof.

jamsandwhich
23rd April 2009, 15:40
Tiger, it wasn't level, if I stand down on the patio, the top of the garden is eye level, a gradual incline... Jam, the green pop up bags are spuds, and the big blue ikea bag behind the greenhouse is more carrots!

Have never thought to grow carrots in a bag!

I have used the garden rubbish bags for 69p from Home Bargains for my spuds - they are huge and now growing out of the top, can't get any more soil in now. They look like the ones in front of the green pop up one - is it the same?

We had a visitor in our garden yesterday which spoiled the peace and tranquility - will post a piccie of him later as they on my lappy. Quite exciting but not very pleasant!

suziq
23rd April 2009, 16:23
blimey dee! u never do things by halves do you?

i must have something knocking around i can plant carrots in :D

suziq
23rd April 2009, 17:02
if i used a white plastic box, would i have to line with bin liner to make it dark enough?

janedoe
23rd April 2009, 17:07
No you wouldn't have to, we grew carrots in tubs last year but came out short and stumpy but putting them in the ground they get eaten by carrot fly but OH has a cunning plan for that to plant marigolds inbetween them to keep them away.

Deedee
23rd April 2009, 17:25
oh came home 10 mins after I posted the pics, he has made fantastic ground and cleared all the stone/rubble from infront of the shed.

Yes Jam the same, I think, and some inside out compost bags!

colman
23rd April 2009, 18:45
have got lots in the cold frame too courgettes, toms, peppers, bn squash, celeriac, leeks, nastursiams, cues, and borlottis, and drawf beans in the conservatory, and some herbs started off indoors which also seem to be taking an age to come through!!

jamsandwhich
23rd April 2009, 21:40
I have in the greenhouse; Tomato's (a few varieties), aubergine, peppers, squash, dwarf beans in pots ready to go outside as well as runner beans and peas. In bags outside potato's and soon to be carrots - can't for the life of me remeber the variety of spud though, flippin' memory:rolleyes:

Yesterday the girls and I were enjoying the sunshine - our garden is very sheltered - and we heard a bit of a kerfuffle and scwarking, looked around to see a sparrowhawk getting a blackbird but, half a dozen other blackbirds were trying to fight it off. Unfortunately the hawk got the better of the blackbird and carried it off - into the open back door and the dining room, loads of banging and things falling over so rushed in to see it sat on the windowsill - it had knocked a couple of things off the window including my lamp (which I was admiring the day before and thinking how lovely it was!!!). Piccie below is it sat on the windowsill - it looked a lot bigger in real life!

Got it out by opening the patio doors and it flew off on it's own accord.

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv229/trudisagar/DSC_0023.jpg

suziq
23rd April 2009, 21:42
blimey jam
picci not working tho, dont ask me how to fix lol

jamsandwhich
23rd April 2009, 21:50
blimey jam
picci not working tho, dont ask me how to fix lol

Have just done it!!! Don't ask me how I did it either!!!

The two wires at the side were live, originally had my lamp attached. May have been fried sparrowhawk had it got a bit closer - poetic justice for the blackbird could have been served!

zoot
23rd April 2009, 21:53
I would have been freaking out to have a bird in the house - and that one looks huge!

jamsandwhich
23rd April 2009, 21:59
I rang everyone I could think of to come and help me get rid but tey were all out or too far away!! Girls kept trying to get in to look at it saying 'pretty birdie'!!! Oh aye, very pretty if it takes your eyes out:eek:

I had locked the front door as we were out the back so sneaked through to unlock it to take the girls in the front while I sorted it - managed to get the patio doors open, problem was it was a bit scared and kept diving at me when I went in. Was hoping the blackbird was just shocked as it seemed to perk up but it was in the middle of the lawn this morning stiff as a board with its legs in the air - proper riggweltered!!

suziq
23rd April 2009, 22:19
BLIMEY!
thort my pidgeon down the chimney was a trauma!

jamsandwhich
23rd April 2009, 22:34
BLIMEY!
thort my pidgeon down the chimney was a trauma!

Aye - certainly sparkled the day up a bit!!

colman
24th April 2009, 09:35
my word its huge...but very beautiful...

jamsandwhich
24th April 2009, 09:52
It was beautiful, it's eyes were an amazing yellow. It was quite ecxiting to watch too - it's not everyday you see something like that happen so close!!

Beej
24th April 2009, 18:03
It is stunning Jamsan, reminds me of the time my DS woke me up in the middle of the night saying 'Mum, there's a bird in my room!', he was 15 at the time and I wanted to reply 'and you're complaining?' but I restrained myself. It was a warm night and he has left his bedroom window open, just a top opening window and somehow the bird had flown into his room. Nothing as impressive as your Jamsan but it was fluttering about all the same. I left it until the morning and then had to go in his room, wrap it in a towel and throw it out of the window. It frightened me silly and I felt very brave dealing with it.

colman
25th April 2009, 21:10
I want to try and get some old tyres to plant my BN Squash and courgettes in, where can i get them from, do you think garages would let me have them...OH said not as he said they thought you might want to put bald tyres on your car...any suggestions, have been looking out on the roads in case anyone has fly tipped some!!

numpty
25th April 2009, 21:11
I want to try and get some old tyres to plant my BN Squash and courgettes in, where can i get them from, do you think garages would let me have them...OH said not as he said they thought you might want to put bald tyres on your car...any suggestions, have been looking out on the roads in case anyone has fly tipped some!!

Ive seen these at the dump, maybe worth a look?

colman
25th April 2009, 21:12
was wondering about going to the tip, but didn't think they were allowed to be tipped??

suziq
25th April 2009, 21:28
blimey, how does that work coleman?

planted carrots in pots and beetroot today :D

Gizmos
25th April 2009, 21:29
house round corner from me ahs bout 20 in front garden - lol

goto the scrap yard ; and defo go for a drive down some dark country lanes as well

colman
25th April 2009, 21:30
maybe i'll wing my way up to near you Giz....

Suze chuck loads of manure in tyres and pop in your plant, they like really rich manure...and thought it would look cool on lottie too...

Gizmos
25th April 2009, 21:31
while your out and about also look for toilets and sinks

Beej
25th April 2009, 22:05
I was in Wilkinons last night, they had 'Grow your own veg' boxes stickered with half marked price reduced from 7.50 to 3.75. I bought the Maris Piper potatoes, contained 3 seed potatoes, pack of coir compost, fertiliser pellets and a bag to grow them in. They also had carrots and beetroot. Mine potatoes are currently chitting on the window sill.

joload
26th April 2009, 14:13
How do you plant something in a tyre? I'm a bit confuzzeled wouldn't it all fall out the bottom??

sarahjane01
26th April 2009, 16:37
My potatoes are in and have green leaves, so doing well.

I had the BBC garden pack arrive so I have butter nut squashes on the widow cill, carrots, lettuces, toms and beetroot.:clap2:

tiger
26th April 2009, 18:22
How do you plant something in a tyre? I'm a bit confuzzeled wouldn't it all fall out the bottom??

You just stand it on the soil, fill it and it makes a raised bed.

Gizmos
26th April 2009, 18:31
well Colman could supply you with about 30 tyres and manure to fill them as well - lol

joload
26th April 2009, 18:59
You just stand it on the soil, fill it and it makes a raised bed.

Thanks - I was confused as a friend of mine somehow cut his in half and turned inside out to make a pot and seemed alot of faffing.

So what are the benefits of a raised bed?

I have my potatoes in old compost bags and are doing nicely, garlic in. spring onions, broad beans, peas, sweetcorn and I have alot of tom plants so if anyone is near me they are welcome to some ( DD planted the whole pack LOL)

suziq
26th April 2009, 19:16
I have alot of tom plants so if anyone is near me they are welcome to some ( DD planted the whole pack LOL)

is this a laughing matter?:o

colman
26th April 2009, 19:23
am going to go to the garage in the village and see if he will let me have some...potted up caulis yesterday going to plant them out in another couple of weeks..

jamsandwhich
27th April 2009, 09:28
I have never had much luck with garlic - they look lovely and healthy from the surface with lots of lush greenery but never bulb properly? I only end up with the original clove I planted?

My spuds are on a bid to take over the garden, are sitting about a foot out of the top of the bags now. Planted my strawbs yesterday, with the girls help - will be lucky if we get any fruit, they kept bringing me the pretty flowers:rolleyes:

Am now waiting on my first batch of dwarf french beans and runners to plant out.

Scrungee
27th April 2009, 10:00
I have never had much luck with garlic - they look lovely and healthy from the surface with lots of lush greenery but never bulb properly? I only end up with the original clove I planted?

They should definitely divide if you plant them in the autumn (they need a period of cold to make them split), but I never has a problem with spring planted (perhaps you are putting them in too late?) and if you don't have freely draining soil put them in a raised bed. Don't use supermarket garlic as it may not suit this country and don't feed too late as it will just encourage leaf/thick stems.

I'll post a pic here after I've come back from the plot of some porcelain garlic I planted in the autumn last year (bought from the really garlic co. in Scotland - much cheaper than a few bulbs from a garden centre!).

jamsandwhich
27th April 2009, 10:15
They should definitely divide if you plant them in the autumn (they need a period of cold to make them split), but I never has a problem with spring planted (perhaps you are putting them in too late?) and if you don't have freely draining soil put them in a raised bed. Don't use supermarket garlic as it may not suit this country and don't feed too late as it will just encourage leaf/thick stems.

I'll post a pic here after I've come back from the plot of some porcelain garlic I planted in the autumn last year (bought from the really garlic co. in Scotland - much cheaper than a few bulbs from a garden centre!).

We do have a very clay soil so maybe that is one reason why, I do fork through sand and compost/manure and it is slowly getting better but drainage could be a problem. I got them from a local farmers market as they were already established and planted them in February last (but, I didn't know about the timings of planting) year but maybe this was the problem as they hadn't got used to the climate and soil here?

I am now going to have a look at the really garlic co. and look forward to seeing your piccies - ta.

Scrungee
27th April 2009, 10:47
I am now going to have a look at the really garlic co. and look forward to seeing your piccies - ta.

Garlic from a (local) farmers market planted in Feb should have been fine. Don't forget garlic swells up/divides in the last few weeks before turning yellowy and becoming ready to pull.

Here's mine (taken this morning) N.B. that's elephant garlic in the right hand row:

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm69/Scrungee_photos/porcgarlic.jpg

Should be as tall as sweetcorn by the summer! Well rotted horse manure spread on top over winter and a sprinkle of chicken manure pellets a few weeks ago seems to have done the trick, but no more feeding now.

http://www.reallygarlicky.co.uk/ - but the bulbs aren't available as 'seed' garlic until later in the year.

jamsandwhich
27th April 2009, 11:41
Wow - thats big!

Mine didn't get that tall - probably the variety and it was the leaves going yellow which made me look at it - I had resisted for ages to have a peak! Unfortunatley just didn't work and I suspect it was the soil as it was heavy clay at the time. I will try again in the autumn in a raised bed and see how it gets on, we are putting a second shed behind the greenhouse wihich will give me space for some raised beds.

msjg
27th April 2009, 12:20
well I'm now a polytunnel owner, any growing tips in polys most welcome.
I've just had a fella around doing a energy/carbon footprint survey, hes advised me to poo and pee in a bucket and put it on my compost and never use my toilets again:eek: I can see the logic of saving water and I know pee is could for the compost process but the poo bit I think is a step to much.

Scrungee
27th April 2009, 16:02
well I'm now a polytunnel owner, any growing tips in polys most welcome. I've just had a fella around doing a energy/carbon footprint survey, hes advised me to poo and pee in a bucket and put it on my compost and never use my toilets again

I suggest you use obscured polythene on your polytunnel then.

colman
29th April 2009, 20:39
went to my local garage in the village asking what they did with their old tyres, and they said they have to pay to dispose of them.....i am now the proud owner of 8 bald tyres which are happily sat on my allotment awaiting some manure and my butternut squash plants.

Also saw an 'ole boy' down the allotments today and he asked what i was doing them, when i told him they were for butternut squash, he asked me what that was - bless him!!!!

clarer0110
30th April 2009, 08:22
went to my local garage in the village asking what they did with their old tyres, and they said they have to pay to dispose of them.....i am now the proud owner of 8 bald tyres which are happily sat on my allotment awaiting some manure and my butternut squash plants.

Also saw an 'ole boy' down the allotments today and he asked what i was doing them, when i told him they were for butternut squash, he asked me what that was - bless him!!!!

Is it easier to grow squash like this then rather than "straight" in the ground? Have a veg patch in the garden with stuff in plus a tyre we bought home from the renault silverstone day last year which is currently in the shed doing nothing. sounds like a good idea to grow squash in the tyre...does it work?

colman
30th April 2009, 08:28
Is it easier to grow squash like this then rather than "straight" in the ground? Have a veg patch in the garden with stuff in plus a tyre we bought home from the renault silverstone day last year which is currently in the shed doing nothing. sounds like a good idea to grow squash in the tyre...does it work?

i've no idea clarer yet, however i have read about it on a couple of allotment websites that say its a good idea, fill it was manure and pop in your plant...i've got 8 tyres, 5 squash and about 8 courgettes, so going to grow all squash in them plus 3 courgettes and then the other 5 courgettes in the ground and see what does best, i can get some more tyres if i need them but going to do an experiment this year. I notice someone else on the allotment has some tyres and he is growing spuds in them...

Scrungee
1st May 2009, 15:52
I've grown:

1) Marrows in tyres placed over polythene sheeting (with a pit of soil/manure/compost under the polythene where the main purpose has been to help hold a large polythene sheet down and also provide light protection to the young marrow plant until it gets going and romps across the open polythene area.

2) Marrows and potatoes in tyres filled with soil/manure/compost (several high for the spuds).

and I still use (1), but have abandoned (2) as red ants found them so attractive they infested every one of them.

veronica57
2nd May 2009, 23:47
i've planted potatoes and cabbages and lettuces in growbags on my terrace/yard. i had cloche over cabages and lettuces and a slug got in one of them and ate them!! First time I have ever planted veg so quite excited. Am planning to dig in garden and put a few things in soil tooo. where's the best place to buy gardening stuff - as this is new to me?

BritBrat
3rd May 2009, 01:07
Eaten first radish today :)

ploverpalace
3rd May 2009, 08:45
Eaten first radish today :)

We had our first lot of baby spinach and lettuce yesterday too :) It's tyhe first time i have grown anything successfully, so am really pleased with myself!

SuzyWoo
3rd May 2009, 08:51
Got carrots, string beans, french beans, lettuce, leeks and onions (red and white) growing as well as obligatory tomatoes. Not grown anywhere like as much as this before.

Does anyone have any advice as the best way of stopping maggots getting into my Victoria Plums? (Sounds a bit rude) Last year I lost a whole tree to the little blighters. Any insecticide recommendations please, organic advice too!

Grace & Favour
3rd May 2009, 09:02
Got carrots, string beans, french beans, lettuce, leeks and onions (red and white) growing as well as obligatory tomatoes. Not grown anywhere like as much as this before.

Does anyone have any advice as the best way of stopping maggots getting into my Victoria Plums? (Sounds a bit rude) Last year I lost a whole tree to the little blighters. Any insecticide recommendations please, organic advice too!

I must admit that I too would be concerned if maggots were having a go at my plums . .

I think you may find the best website for your answer is the BBC Gardeners site here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/content/articles/2008/01/08/pests_feature.shtml)

If they don't have the answer in the FAQ's, they get you the answer from an expert!

suziq
3rd May 2009, 09:48
ooo maggoty plums, nothing worse
we had a plum tree in the garden where i grew up, plums were about 4" long, never found any as good since

planted on me toms onto patio yest, 2 troughs worth, exciting!
fixed strawb watering problem, blasted pot has just holes for plants not lipped very much, have cut the bottom off a coke bottle and stuck it in upside down, water thru this, much better!

shoppaholic45
3rd May 2009, 11:47
Thinking of either getting the green garden rubbish bags or kids plastic tubs and growing potatoes, how far down do you need to plant the potatoes. Also i have planted my chillis red peppers and tomatoes how long do they take to grow

HELLO_KITTY
3rd May 2009, 12:05
i got some seed packets through the post for various veg, i dont have a clue how to plant them, i only have a small garden so pretty impossible, could i plant seeds in a large tub, i got squash and carrots, and a few other veg?

tiger
3rd May 2009, 12:32
Suzy, you can get sticky bands to put round the fruit trees to stop insects but I think it may be too late now for this season.

suziq
3rd May 2009, 14:01
shoppa i think u put the spudx really near the bottom and when the shoots appear build up the soil slowly, not done them before tho so i might be wrong lol
kitty, i've put carrots in pots on the patio

Scrungee
4th May 2009, 12:45
shoppa i think u put the spudx really near the bottom and when the shoots appear build up the soil slowly, not done them before tho so i might be wrong lol

If the bags are deep enough, when those shoots appear place a few more seeds potatoes on the surface of the soil before topping upp with more compost, then you will have potatoes all the way up.

suziq
4th May 2009, 16:49
potted growbags in greenhouse ith toms and some pits of chillies today, all quite exciting!

shoppaholic45
4th May 2009, 16:53

Thankyou for your help, i went and got some rubble bags today and compost to plant them in.

shoppaholic45
4th May 2009, 16:53
If the bags are deep enough, when those shoots appear place a few more seeds potatoes on the surface of the soil before topping upp with more compost, then you will have potatoes all the way up.

Thankyou for your help, i will do that

shoppaholic45
4th May 2009, 17:22
Bought some blue rubble bags today from b&q and they are too small, what bags has everyone else been buying. Now thinking it would have been better to buy the big tubs.

Scrungee
4th May 2009, 18:55
Bought some blue rubble bags today from b&q and they are too small, what bags has everyone else been buying. Now thinking it would have been better to buy the big tubs.

Are they blue now? I bought mine from B&Q when they were black and around 40p each, but when the vouchers were in the papers towards the end of last year giving 20% off, but still planted in an old compost bag, within a B&Q rubble bag (looks tidier and keeps more light out, preventing greening of the spuds).

I'ts important to use bags that keep the light out when growing potatoes, as light makes them turn green and poisonous.

shoppaholic45
4th May 2009, 20:44
Are they blue now? I bought mine from B&Q when they were black and around 40p each, but when the vouchers were in the papers towards the end of last year giving 20% off, but still planted in an old compost bag, within a B&Q rubble bag (looks tidier and keeps more light out, preventing greening of the spuds).

I'ts important to use bags that keep the light out when growing potatoes, as light makes them turn green and poisonous.

They were a roll of ten for 3.48.

zoot
4th May 2009, 21:49
i presume you put holes in the bottoms of the bags you use, for drainage? (sorry if silly question!)

suziq
4th May 2009, 21:57
not a silly question, OH had to tell me to put holes in the bottom of my grow bags today, would never have thought of it!

Scrungee
5th May 2009, 15:38
Should have sown these several days ago, but I've been away away on 2 consecutive Sun Holidays, so today I sowed:

Pumkins (Halloween, eating and giant varieties), cucumbers (outdoor), squashes, cougettes (green, yellow and black), sweet williams (plants from last year are just about to flower now), french beans (the fine 'fillet' type), sweetcorn, runner beans and borlotti beans (for drying).

That just leaves my marrows (extra large - for heaviest marrow in the village show) to sort out and sow, planting some gladioli at the plot (some are left in over winter & some new ones planted each year to extend the flowering season) and I can have a bit of a rest.

colman
6th May 2009, 16:15
right need some help, went to lottie this avo, and something has nibbled the tops of my onions and also leaves on the strawberry plant...can't think it can be slugs/snails, as the onions were fairly high, all i can think of is a blinkin rabbit, but dunno how it would have got in as there is chicken wire all the way around...

at last my carrotts have come through have sown abot 3 rows and finally i see them emerging.

Also whilst there couldn't resist pulling out a radish which was just about ready (another week would have been better) but it looked so scrummy...pulled it up, wiped the mud on my jeans and tucked on in......from ground to mouth - 2 seconds!! Can't get fresher than that!!

tiger
6th May 2009, 16:33
Were there any signs of slug trails? They can climb. I get slugs and small snails which climb up my bean plants.

Scrungee
6th May 2009, 17:46
right need some help, went to lottie this avo, and something has nibbled the tops of my onions and also leaves on the strawberry plant...can't think it can be slugs/snails, as the onions were fairly high, all i can think of is a blinkin rabbit, but dunno how it would have got in as there is chicken wire all the way around...

Rabbits love onion leaves (more so than carrots!) and they will also nibble strawberry leaves right down to the ground.

How high is your rabbit fencing? + what size mesh? - need to use a minimum of 900mm high with some either buried in the ground or turned out at 90 degrees just below the surface. This is also the time of year when the small rabbits find their way through mesh that is too large. Also look around for something you've left near the fence that the adults can use to jump in.

Check out http://handbooks.btcv.org.uk/handbooks/content/section/3315

colman
7th May 2009, 08:19
thanks scrungee, i thought it was a rabbit....have blocked the gap up at the front fence, although don't think he went in that way as he would have eaten the onions in the first plot instead of the ones half way down in the kids plot....the fence is just ove knee height i guess it was already up around each plot when we got the allotment. Going to have to go all the way round to see how they found their way in the little rascals...

Scrungee
7th May 2009, 09:55
the fence is just ove knee height i guess it was already up around each plot when we got the allotment. Going to have to go all the way round to see how they found their way in the little rascals...

They will hop over a fence of that height. When rabbits first started becoming a problem at my allotments it only needed a low fence to keep them out, but they gradually learn to jump higher.

What I did was get some 10m x 600mm rolls of 25mm chicken wire and split it down the middle to give me 20m of wire to raise the fencing by 300mm, joined together using some Wilkos galavanised wire (but even old baler twine would do the job). Old garden gazebo poles make great rabbit fencing posts.

shoppaholic45
7th May 2009, 10:20
Are you suppose to put holes in the bottom of the grow bags, i have two of them with tomatoes in both. Also my oh got my two garden trugs to plant my potatoes. Do i need to put holes in the bottom.

suziq
7th May 2009, 10:29
yes to grow bags shoppa, just prong with scissors a few holes.

i have peeping carrots and a flowering strawb! :D

jamsandwhich
7th May 2009, 10:55
yes to grow bags shoppa, just prong with scissors a few holes.

i have peeping carrots and a flowering strawb! :D

Think I must have early strawbs as they are all flowering but have two different varieties.

My spuds are huge though - one has flopped over this morning, hope I havn't forced it on too much, they have been outside for a couple of weeks though so can't see why???

colman
11th May 2009, 17:23
got my purple sprouting broc in today and my butternut squash (in their tyres) have put PSB under fleece and BNS under plastic bottles just in case of any frosts..., ran out of time to get my broc and cauli in so thats a job for later in the week...anyone else been down their lottie today?

BritBrat
11th May 2009, 17:48
not a silly question, OH had to tell me to put holes in the bottom of my grow bags today, would never have thought of it!

Well don't, put them in the side so some water can be held in the bottom.

Scrungee
11th May 2009, 18:01
anyone else been down their lottie today?

Yes, but got a bit distracted by these 2 fox cubs playing in the adjoining field whilst their mother was off after a rabbit (why do these things never happen when I have my good camera with me?):

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm69/Scrungee_photos/cubs.jpg

tiger
11th May 2009, 18:43
Been working on the veg plot in the garden today. The weather has been lovely so I banned myself from free bingo so as to get some gardening done.
We've started putting the canes in for the runner beans or rather DH has and made a better job of it than I usually do. I hope to get the bean plants in tomorrow and then protect them with a fleece right over the top of the cane frame.
I gave a lift to a friend with horses today so now I've got a good source of manure. She just said to help ourselves whenever we want.
Does anyone make their own liquid feeds? I've not got enough comfrey leaves yet to use but I have made some nettle feed, as there are plenty of them on the lane. I've used it on the peas and they are growing quite strongly. Good job I've got it a long way from the house. It's pretty strong smelling!

How lovely,Scrungee.

Scrungee
13th May 2009, 16:44
My spuds are huge though - one has flopped over this morning, hope I haven't forced it on too much, they have been outside for a couple of weeks though so can't see why???

My best guess would be because (assuming they're in bags and you have several potatoes per bag) your potato to surface area is something like at least 5 times the density of planting in open ground and therefore your much denser foliage will cause much needed rainfall to fall outside your potato bag.

So check regularly to see if they need watering. I place all my potato bags tightly together so rain shed from one falls into the neighbouring bag. Leaves turning darker can be a first indication that the soil's drying out. Be sure to keep them well watered when they are in flower.

colman
13th May 2009, 17:18
still battling with this blinkin rabbit....am going to have to make some cages to put over the brassicas up one end...trying to find some cheap debris/scaffolding net to go on the cages...what a pain in the butt...wanted to get some more stuff planted today but daren't just in case the little b***** comes back....something also ate the top off my purple SB, good job i have lots of spares of those....arghhhhhhh - maybe i need to invest in a shot gun to blast the rabbit away!!!

Scrungee
13th May 2009, 19:16
If you've got a rabbit getting into your plot, don't try protecting individual crops, keep them out, otherwise they will eat, scratch up or burrow into everything, destroying the lot.

Raise that (knee high) fence!

Shooting them is only a last resort, best early morning or late afternoon and using something that doesn't endager adjoining land/roads/paths

spareshoe
13th May 2009, 19:19
Hi all been reading your all about your fruit and veg and it all sounds fab. I decided to jump on and have planted lots in pots, but I have came home today to find that one of my branches in my courgette have snapped back in the wild wind which we have had today, do you think I should snap it off or wrap something around to hold together? Sorry to ask but really have no clue, thanks

jamsandwhich
13th May 2009, 20:01
My best guess would be because (assuming they're in bags and you have several potatoes per bag) your potato to surface area is something like at least 5 times the density of planting in open ground and therefore your much denser foliage will cause much needed rainfall to fall outside your potato bag.

So check regularly to see if they need watering. I place all my potato bags tightly together so rain shed from one falls into the neighbouring bag. Leaves turning darker can be a first indication that the soil's drying out. Be sure to keep them well watered when they are in flower.

Thanks for the tips scrungee. Yes it is very dense and have now moved them closer together - they seemed to grow tall very quickly after the initial planting and getting their roots established but the leaves are a nice light green so at least they ahvn't dried out.

Thanks for taking the time to help (and that goes for everyone else too), I have been growing stuff for a few years but have mainly learned through trial and error (lots of error!) so it is nice to have tips and experience. The only book I have read on it is the RHS guide to growing veggies, my whole crop failed miserably after I followed all the tips and advice so I put it in the car boot sale box!

Spareshoe - sorry but I can't help on this although this happened to one of my butternut sqash after one of the girls planted her foot on it so I snapped it off - seems to be doing fine?

colman
13th May 2009, 20:05
If you've got a rabbit getting into your plot, don't try protecting individual crops, keep them out, otherwise they will eat, scratch up or burrow into everything, destroying the lot.

Raise that (knee high) fence!

Shooting them is only a last resort, best early morning or late afternoon and using something that doesn't endager adjoining land/roads/paths

you anywhere near East Anglia, Scrungee...fancy coming for a day out to blast the little b*****!!!

The plot is 70 ft x 25 ft and i thought i had found out where he is coming in and blocked it up,but must be coming in another way...the next door plot has been left to ruin at the moment and has really long grass/weeds/stingers so have put weed killer on the weeds along the otherside of the fence in the hope that once the weeds have died i can find the hole, in the meantime, i'm not planting anything else out...really dunno what else to do

colman
14th May 2009, 16:15
the sage continues...was doing the allotment this avo, and was tidying up some old carpet and an old pallet that previous owner had left behind...fright of my life when a rabbit ran out of the pallet, and shot through the fence....found how he was getting in/out at least.....the back fence isn't in great condition so going to put up a brand new fence but bring it forward a foot as i figured it was easier than trying to repair an old one...what a nightmare...

Scrungee
16th May 2009, 13:31
was tidying up some old carpet and an old pallet that previous owner had left behind...fright of my life when a rabbit ran out of the pallet, and shot through the fence....found how he was getting in/out at least

Was there a burrow under that pallet? - as this is the time of year when pregnant females will dig them in all sorts of places - like under pallets, in compost/horse poo heaps and even in builders dumpy bags full of straw/weeds/etc.

And if one has had a litter of young on your plot and you've fenced the mother out .................

suziq
21st May 2009, 07:33
anyone?

my rosemary is flowering.... a good thing or bad?

clarer0110
21st May 2009, 09:31
Pulled up some radishes yesterday out of our veg patch in the garden and they taste fab! Tomatoes are coming on brilliantly and I have 3 green ones. Have about 20 tomato plants in the greenhouse and I'll give some to friends and family, can't wait to get munching on them yum yum!

SuzyWoo
21st May 2009, 09:33
Rosemary does flower Suzi. Looks lovely too!

Sold the kids playhouse and that was collected yesterday so have a nice area for some more veggies for this year! :D

Moll
21st May 2009, 13:43
Pulled up some radishes yesterday out of our veg patch in the garden and they taste fab! Tomatoes are coming on brilliantly and I have 3 green ones. Have about 20 tomato plants in the greenhouse and I'll give some to friends and family, can't wait to get munching on them yum yum!

wow got green toms already , thats brill / mine are struggling to grow ,

jamsandwhich
21st May 2009, 14:04
wow got green toms already , thats brill / mine are struggling to grow ,

Mine too moll - supposed to be hot and sunny in the North East this weekend so hopefully that will give them a kickstart. Will give them a good dose of tomato food too. Although, our strawbs and redcurrants are early.

carebabe
21st May 2009, 14:16
we have the most amzing crop of strawberries in our polytunnel. have picked a few already and they taste fab.

jamsandwhich
21st May 2009, 14:21
we have the most amzing crop of strawberries in our polytunnel. have picked a few already and they taste fab.

TBH we will be lucky to get any - the girls keep putting their feet on them or picking the pretty flowers:rolleyes:

The redcurrants took me by surprise and noticed the other day that either the birds have already been at them even though they are still green or they were lashed against the fence in the winds as they are now looking a bit depleted. Netted them up now so hopefully we will geta few.

Moll
21st May 2009, 15:27
keep putting their feet on them or picking the pretty flowers

:)

suziq
21st May 2009, 16:39
Rosemary does flower Suzi. Looks lovely too!

Sold the kids playhouse and that was collected yesterday so have a nice area for some more veggies for this year! :D

lol thanx suzy, u can tell mine has never survived this long before lol

potted on all my chillies, made a bed for the leeks, beetroot coming up, all quite exciting:D

colman
21st May 2009, 20:44
have been busy down the lottie this last week, hence not been on here much...
planted out my purple sprouting, fennel, couple more rows of spinach, celeriac and a few more radishes too...
We picked a little bowl of radishes on Monday - they were scrummy....

Scrungee
31st May 2009, 20:34
Having to take water to the plot every day for the last week or 2.

Wonder if it's going to be one of those really hot summers when everything ripens all in one month causing a glut you can't harvest/preserve (especially if you're also trying to pick fruit from the hedgerows).

suziq
31st May 2009, 20:56
i've got a leek bed now, about 25 leeks in, 2nd and thrid lot of carrots in. made a herb bed too, got a patio planter of freecycle, well chuffed :D

Clairog
31st May 2009, 22:09
Hi all
I should have been filling in all my stuff for my allotment but haven't yet so here goes. I've done loads this weekend and the kids have done lots of paddling so we've all had fun.
I got my greenhouse sorted out at last and have toms, cucumber, aubergines and peppers in now. I'm even trying a new drip irrigation system from my water butt so I'll keep you posted on how well it works.
I also got some red cabbages in and have my sweet potatoes under a cloche - they worked pretty well last year so giving them another try. Who would have thought I could grow sweet potato's in Glasgow???
All my onions, shallots and garlic are coming on well so its feeling like its slowly coming together. Still got loads to do and I'm a bit worried by how tiny my sweetcorn is?
Can anyone tell me if its too late to put peas straight in the ground as all the ones I grew in my pipe have wilted :(
I'm sure theres lots more but I can't think now - great to hear how we are all getting on.
Claire
PS I listen to a good podcast called coopette that I found on itunes. Anyone know of any other ones?

Scrungee
2nd June 2009, 12:49
Can anyone tell me if its too late to put peas straight in the ground as all the ones I grew in my pipe have wilted

I'm sowing my second lot of Kelvedon Wonder (cheap at Wilkos - even cheaper saved from your own plants) next week.

shoppaholic45
2nd June 2009, 21:38
I have two tubs with potato blubs in, in one of the tubs, they are growing and now i can see a two plants and other ones coming through. Do i need to put anymore compost on the one that is growing and any more blubs. Also for the ones in the tub that have not grown, is there anything i can do. When do you need to give tomato plants food.

suziq
3rd June 2009, 06:19
not sure about spuds shopper, but toms i think it is when the first lot of fruit has appeared, but it says on the side of the food.

BritBrat
3rd June 2009, 08:11
I have two tubs with potato blubs in, in one of the tubs, they are growing and now i can see a two plants and other ones coming through. Do i need to put anymore compost on the one that is growing and any more blubs. Also for the ones in the tub that have not grown, is there anything i can do. When do you need to give tomato plants food.

Keep covering them up leaving a little showing untill you get to around 4" from the top.

I think you feed after they flowered but not 100% on that.

shoppaholic45
3rd June 2009, 11:19
not sure about spuds shopper, but toms i think it is when the first lot of fruit has appeared, but it says on the side of the food.

Keep covering them up leaving a little showing untill you get to around 4" from the top.

I think you feed after they flowered but not 100% on that.

Thankyou very much for your help. The tomatos haven't got fruit yet, hope they do soon.

colman
4th June 2009, 16:29
finally i think the Whear Rabbit has left my plot....put up a new fence at the end of the plot and don't think it was there last night.....still not counting my chickens (well rabbits quite yet)....
Things are going great guns on the plot well the thing that didn't get eaten anyway...Celeriac and parsnips and Raab are growing really well, have had a set back on the brassicas due to Watership Down feeding on my plot, but thing they will come back...
Also rain is forecast for the next 4 days in sunny Norfolk so should do wonders for the plants...
Hows everyone else...??

tiger
4th June 2009, 16:36
Glad you seem to have solved the rabbit problem

I'm pleased with my veg plot. Broad beans in full flower and a few pods set, lots of fruit and flowers on the strawberry plants, peas flowering, runner beans climbing well and the brassicas are getting established. I've not had room to plant everything I would have liked so I definitely need to enlarge the plot for next year.

colman
4th June 2009, 16:39
my BBeans are looking good, rabbit got some of my runners and french beans, but they are coming back with some nre shoots so maybe a bit delayed...we are eatin lots of radishes and lettuces are doing well...planted up toms and cue in the garden today....
have fed courgettes and squashes and they are growing like wild fire....its lovely isn't it tiger when things go well and you get to reap yor rewards....

tiger
4th June 2009, 17:00
There's nothing like picking fresh veg from the garden and using it straight away. Much more flavour than bought.
I've not grown a lot of veg before. Our garden is difficult with being on a steep hill, but this thread has inspired me to do more this year. DH has helped me to level an area and it's looking good. We'll extend it further across the garden next year. Previously I've just planted bits of veg here and there.

SuzyWoo
4th June 2009, 17:06
I've got veg all over my garden lol! French beans, tomatoes, runner beans, carrots, leeks, onions, strawberries (but not many), potatoes, pumpkins, squash, cabbage, cauliflower plus a few lettuces. Not sure how successful they will all be, but if a few are I'll be pleased! Planted a rhubarb too and got my victoria plums too.

All my flowers are in pots this year.

sarahjane01
4th June 2009, 17:56
Just seen this on Met Check:

Variable amounts of cloud again tonight, but where any clear spells do occur for a period of time, temperatures will fall away quickly, and a grass frost may again form in sheltered inland spots - something for the gardeners amongst us to be aware of. Whilst not totally unheard of, it is rather unusual to be talking about a risk of frost in early June, which indicates how cold the air mass coming down from the north really is. :eek:

Hope my little plants will be okay. Picked a whole 2 strawberries tonight. The kids like them.:)

colman
11th June 2009, 16:50
all this lovely rain is doing the garden some good...
managed to get a row of purple radishes planted today along with some more lettuces and some broccoli raab (grows in 60 days)...did tons of weeding too....
harvested some new spuds at the weekend which were delicious, along with some more radishes, rhubarb and some spinach...

SuzyWoo
11th June 2009, 17:18
Do you have to let spuds flower before you havest?

Picked up a raised bed frame off ebay this afternoon and have already got it planted out! I could have made one, but would have had to chase the wood and it was only 15 ready to go! Have moved my red onions over to it, got 3 rows of spring onions, another batch of carrots, and some dwarf beans. Also bought some peas from the garden centre so they ae in too. Am getting impatient to start harvesting! ;)

Planted a rhubab last week, how long does that take to establish?

Deedee
11th June 2009, 17:32
The Potato Harvest --- with thanks to thegardenhelper.com

Your may begin to harvest your potatoes 2 to 3-weeks after the plants have finished flowering. At this time you will only find small "baby" potatoes if you were to dig up a plant. Potatoes can be harvested any time after this, by gently loosening the soil, reaching under the plant, and removing the largest tubers, leaving the smaller ones to continue growing.
If you want late potatoes for storage, wait 2-3 weeks after the foliage dies back. Carefully begin digging a foot or so outside of the row or mound. Remove the potatoes as you find them. (Be careful not to bruise or cut the tubers with your spade!) If the weather is dry, allow the potatoes to lay on the soil surface, unwashed, for 2-3 days so they can dry. If the weather is wet, or rain is expected, move the harvest to a cool, dry area (like a garage or basement) for the drying period. This drying step is necessary to mature the potato skin, which will protect the potato during storage.
If, by the end of September, the plants have not begun to die back, all of the foliage should be cut off to ensure your crop has ample time to mature before winter.
Store your undamaged potatoes in a well-ventilated, dark, cool (about 40 degrees) location. Properly dried and stored potatoes should keep well for three to six months.

Don't grow potatoes in the same soil more than once in three years. Many diseases and insect pests will survive and remain in this area, in spite of your best eradication efforts! My beuts have flowered today, lovely purple and yellow!

BritBrat
11th June 2009, 17:36
Funny you should post that, just dug up first potato's (Earlies) and having a salad with them for tea.

By the way they never had flowers.

joload
11th June 2009, 19:12
My spuds have loads of green leaves and look really healthy but no signs of flowers yet???

And my sweetcorn looks as if it has or is going to die :-( not sure what I did wrong.

Broad beans and peas doing well and toms are flowering.

Trying butternut squash too this year as well as the usual spring onion and basil.

tiger
11th June 2009, 19:55
Suzy, don't crop your rhubarb this year and only lightly next year.

suziq
11th June 2009, 19:58
toms growing with a veiw to flowering, were late in, waiting for strawbs to ripen, not sure when will get the first raddish and beetroot, 2nd leek bed in yest tho did post a leek down a mole hole rather amusingly!

clarer0110
12th June 2009, 08:05
I have eaten my first batch of radish and it was fab - some were the size of golf balls!!!! Have planted some more. Have an almost ripe cherry tomato, hopefully that will be fully ripened over the weekend. Have in carrots, cabbage, beetroot, strawberries, toms, mint, chives, thyme, peppers and lettuce.

Am also impatient...peppers seem to have taken ages to pop through but they are on their way now!!! Yum yum.

I love going in our greenhouse every day and seeing what's happened since the day before. Have also started using tomato food on the toms as well.

colman
12th June 2009, 09:38
my new pots didn't flower either, just started to die back...am still leaving them in the ground until we need to eat them that way they can stay nice and fresh..

Deedee
12th June 2009, 09:43
just been out to pollenate my marrows, both male and female flowers had finally come out, it was just the males until yesterday! should get at least 4.... that is if they survive any pests and forgotten waterings! lol

colman
12th June 2009, 09:44
nice one DD noticed a flower on my courgette on Wednesday when i went back yesterday a mini courgette was on there and i could see about another 4 starting too...i have 5 courgettes plants, so i think i may be inundated soon...have lovely receipe though for courgette balls if i get a glut!!

colman
17th June 2009, 18:12
today i harvested...more radishes, some brocolli raab, broad beans and some swift spuds and anya spuds...going to have all with our tea tonight with some fish....

Scrungee
20th June 2009, 16:10
Yesterday I put pigeon guards over my brassicas.

Today the pigeons started eating my strawflowers.

tescolover
20th June 2009, 16:29
I'm growing tomatoes and my plants have grown massive lol at this rate I'll be getting a greenhouse extension. It's the first time I've grown anything so what should I do? I planted them from seeds in March so should I be seeing tomatoes growing on them yet?

suziq
20th June 2009, 22:24
have flowers on my toms, have eaten strawbs :)
planted more carrots most of my beets have been munched so planted more today
organised the patio, looks less industrial now, planted carrots in a deep pot, so hopefully grow longer lol
bottled one ;ot of elderflower champaqgne, set the next bucket off

it's like the good life :D

colman
21st June 2009, 08:39
have flowers on my toms, have eaten strawbs :)
planted more carrots most of my beets have been munched so planted more today
organised the patio, looks less industrial now, planted carrots in a deep pot, so hopefully grow longer lol
bottled one ;ot of elderflower champaqgne, set the next bucket off

it's like the good life :D

beetroot munched by you suze or a bug/animal??

I have everything fleeced and netted just in case the rabbit makes another appearance still not sure if he is hopping over the fence from time to time...
Noticed a couple of my fennel plants had started growing it was old seed so didn't hold out much hope but its looking fab...Have a bit bare plot about 10ft by 20ft not sure what else to put in it - want something for over winter really...

SuzyWoo
21st June 2009, 08:52
I went to Wilkos in the week to get a few bits and bobs. They had an organic alternative to slug pellets, which I don't want to use as I'm scared the dog, cat or rabbit will eat them. Anyway, opened the box this morning and it appears to be the same as Value cat litter!

colman
21st June 2009, 08:54
I went to Wilkos in the week to get a few bits and bobs. They had an organic alternative to slug pellets, which I don't want to use as I'm scared the dog, cat or rabbit will eat them. Anyway, opened the box this morning and it appears to be the same as Value cat litter!

i use an organic one suze...put some on my toms and cues as i think there are mean snails in my garden....started to scatter them, then the dog started hoovering them up...quickly ran to the pot and it said its animal friendly...should say on the side hun....still dragged him away though..

SuzyWoo
21st June 2009, 08:56
I read a horrible story about a dog dying after eating slug pellets and it's really spooked me.

colman
21st June 2009, 08:58
i know they are awful...isn't it a bit like rat poison - it eats them from inside....

numpty
21st June 2009, 09:09
I go snailing :) If you go out at 10-12 pm with a torch i can get loads! i got 50 for first few nights, down to 20 a night now!
I then feed them some beer, i like to give them a drink! ;)

numpty
21st June 2009, 09:14
I have 3 plums, loads of cherries just beginning to turn red, strawbs, loads of apples! Been a very good year for fruit!
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs089.snc1/4926_90486344374_526594374_1744655_2804145_n.jpg

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc324/numpty_2008/IMG_0498.jpg

tiger
21st June 2009, 09:31
Lovely garden Numpty. I love the clematis.

Clairog
21st June 2009, 11:17
Your garden looks gorgeous Numpty - your clematis look amazing

suziq
21st June 2009, 12:43
something small has munched my beets, not me lol
planted up some more seed in a pot so hopefully will get some eventually
thats lovely clematis nitwit :D

jamsandwhich
22nd June 2009, 21:45
Anyone else having probs with their greenhouse tomato's this year? Mine are still really short and have long since flowered but hardly any fruits. Usually do fantasticly well on my toms too :-(

Just had to remove the strawns from their nice warm bed and put them in pots on an old table - the only thing eating them was baby slugs!!

I also go slugging/snailing and the cull can last us a couple of years - put mine in the wheelie bin in a tied bag - don't go ringing the rspca ;-) Need to do another one soon as they are getting out of hand again - I used to have a hosta bed.

Am sat on the front doorstep at the mo watching hubby demolish the front garden - we are putting a drive in to get the cars off the road - it's not a busy road but with the girls getting a bit older it will be safer. We are going to try and move some of the old roses further up as some are over fifty years old.

It is lovely and warm here too.

shoppaholic45
22nd June 2009, 22:09
The tomatos and potatos are starting to flower, the chilli plant that i planted using the seeds from chillis i got from the supermarket are starting to grow shoots

suziq
22nd June 2009, 22:52
i bought a mini cucumber plant from focus, got over 10 cuucs on it now!
only my 2nd year with toms jambutty so not sure i'd be any help. mine were late in lol, just starting to flower
have u left the door open enough for insects to get in to pollinate?

frexy
22nd June 2009, 23:01
Great year in the allotment so far.
Tomatoes are looking great, best for a few years.
Today i picked some potatoes, a lovely bunch of shallots, some lettuce, agreat turnip and a few straws.
The rasps are starting to turn red but the birds always get the first ones but there will be plenty for us all :rolleyes:

Notsochunky
25th June 2009, 23:10
I have'nt read all this thread so forgive me if someone else has mentioned this.
It's my first year trying to grow things and I had some peas growing really well in a box, when all of a sudden they wilted and are dying. What do you think I've done wrong?
Too much watering? or not enough?

Notsochunky

jamsandwhich
25th June 2009, 23:41
i bought a mini cucumber plant from focus, got over 10 cuucs on it now!
only my 2nd year with toms jambutty so not sure i'd be any help. mine were late in lol, just starting to flower
have u left the door open enough for insects to get in to pollinate?

Yep, have left window open a crack and tried to keep a constant temp. Have never had problems before but then I have always been late putting them in and got organised this year so maybe for the area I live in it is better to be a lit late? Oh well, will see what happens and there is always next year:D

TBH though, we bought the 3 bags for 10 compost which was on special from focus and even though I have added feed, I wasn;t very impressed when using it - all twiggy and thorny.

I have'nt read all this thread so forgive me if someone else has mentioned this.
It's my first year trying to grow things and I had some peas growing really well in a box, when all of a sudden they wilted and are dying. What do you think I've done wrong?
Too much watering? or not enough?

Notsochunky

Hi Notsochunky,

The only time I have had this problem was from underwtaering and it had gone too far to get the plants back, could always try re-planting? Not a lot of help i'm afraid - still learning myself! Try www.allotments4all.co.uk - very friendly!!

colman
26th June 2009, 08:24
my cues and toms aren't doing great either....everything at the lottis is though - now that i have finally (i hope) eradicated the rabbit, things are going great guns, have some lovely lettuces which are just about ready to pick all winter produce has come back after the Wear rabbit attacked them...got some courgettes and BN squash coming on too ...

colman
26th June 2009, 17:21
just harvested nearly 2lb of broad beans - needed to get them harvested as the ends of the beans are starting to go black which means they won't taste so sweet....quickly blanched them for couple of mins they are now in the freezer...mmmmmm

suziq
26th June 2009, 18:46
ooo lovely, i love bb
i have enough on the go for this year but maybe able to do more next cos it's really exciting
gave my m8 with an allotment my oversews, and rest went to school fair
i'm rubbish at growing veg, spend all my time wanting to pull em up to see if they are done lol
cuucs look fab, one almost ready to pick :D

tiger
27th June 2009, 11:30
You seem to be doing really well Colman, especially considering it's your first year at the allotment. I've not picked much yet, just lettuce and radish so far. I've got pods on the broad beans but they are still tiny. I think we should soon have some peas and mange tout.
I must take a look at the strawberries today as some were turning pink the other day. I've also got loads of wild ones I could pick. They are so tiny it's time consuming but are lovely and sweet.

Not anything to do with veg growing, but I've got a flower on my cordyline in the front garden. It's a huge head of tiny white flowers. I've never seen one in flower before.

tiger
30th June 2009, 15:55
We had some home grown strawberries and mange tout last night. Very nice.

If anyone needs any more seed at the moment Thompson & Morgan have a half price sale and I've posted a link on bag a bargain.

Scrungee
30th June 2009, 17:15
My sweet williams have almost finished, but not before I had nearly 30 bunches (bigger & better than Tescos on special @ 1.50/bunch).

Harvested my overwintering onions yesterday.

As last year's garlic has all gone, I've been digging up some of my overwintering porcelain garlic (see post #84) which, although not fully ripe, is already bigger than golf balls (google 'green garlic').

Loads of strawberries (again) this year, which have been eaten, turned into jam, frozen (for wine making) or pureed and frozen as ice cubes for use with home made ice cream & yoghurt.

With autumn raspberries I ignore the book advice and leave a few the last, unfruiting stems to produce a few summer raspberries to supplement my 'proper' summer raspberries that are taking longer to establish. DD eats the lot!

The loganberries have started fruiting and I'm freezing these for wine making.

Masses of blackcurrants this year - well we did have the cold winter they need - and these will be steam juice extracted for cordial/wine making ingredients (again!).

The redcurrants were used to help the strawberry jam set.

The first of the new potatoes were made into potato salad last week with mayonaise (not home made from our hens this time - building up our backyard flock again in a couple of weeks) and 'green' garlic, soused fresh caught mackerel (went to Chesil Beach, Dorset fishing with OH whilst DD was on her Paris school trip) - made with own herbs in slow cooker (must start making own vinegar!) and served with homemade blackberry (hedges) and chillie (greenhouse) chutney together with our own salad stuff.

The first few statice are starting to flower, some peas are nearly ready and there's now enough leaf beet for us and the hens - so colcannon soon.

Looks like a really good year for sweetcorn.

Kale & PSB gets transplanted tonight (delayed as had to make pigeon-proof netting cages).

Mrs Scrungee has made her spiced vinegar ready for pickling the shallots which have just started to ripen (much easier than sowing those 'paris silverskin' onions and you simply save some of the crop to produce next year's.

Doesn't seem too bad a year so far............

suziq
30th June 2009, 17:33
i've hadto buy ice crem as we may have a BOWL of strawbs today!
and i have a first set tomotoe, ironically on my most weedy plant lol

suziq
30th June 2009, 18:53
what does carrot fly look like? some of my carrot tops are going brown and curling up

tiger
1st July 2009, 11:18
Scrungee you're doing really well.
How big a garden/allotment do you have and how much time to do you put into working on it?
We have a large garden on a hillside and because of the difficulty of working on a steep slope, I've not grown large amounts of veg before, just easy things like runner beans, marrows, lettuce, radish and tomatoes and sometimes cucumbers. This year DH helped me to clear and level a patch running across the hillside so it's reasonably level and I'm really pleased with how things are doing but I haven't room to grow everything I would like to. I've got some things a bit close to the edge of the retaining wall and I think they don't get watered enough with it draining away. Herbs do OK there though. I'm thinking of making a bed of similar size for next year and continuing the existing bed right across to the fence, once we demolish an old shed that's in the way. I'm just wondering how much time it will take to look after it all, although it will make the garden a lot tidier.

Moll
1st July 2009, 12:06
i got my first lot of strawberries off yesterday and they were delicious. had them with "Something" like ice cream , cheap from jack fultons , and they went together ever so well . got enough to feed 3 of us and all had plenty ( Not got a lot of plants going , but have yeilded well ) still have more fruit on the plants growing , weve got lots of slugs and snails this year and i think theyve had a go at the rhubarb unfortunately , still no tomatoes but LOTS of flowers on the plants , so coming along nicely .
cucumber plants have grown better indoors in the kitchen than the ones outside this year . love hearing how everyone is doing

Scrungee
1st July 2009, 13:28
Scrungee you're doing really well.
How big a garden/allotment do you have and how much time to do you put into working on it?

Over half an acre and there's no water there (but costs less than 1/week to rent) - took 100 gallons up this morning.

About a third of it is orchard (for eating/cooking, cider, apple wine and apple juice) that only needs stimming 2 or 3 times a year, another third has everything grown through polythene mulch to cut down the watering and weeding.

Sometimes we spend most of the day there around this time a year when everything gets planted/established. Having a large shady tree to sit under is a real boon.

The plan is that when the school summer hols come, all that is left is picking/preserving/pressing - first apples in August/etc. It was easier when DD was younger (not a stroppy teenager with hayfever) and happy to spend hours there helping, playing in her tent, etc.

It then starts to gets a bit messy until it has a quick clear up in autumn, then a break until the following April when what's not under mulch gets rotorvated and it looks really smart again.

tiger
1st July 2009, 13:38
I've no excuse then. :D
We have about a third - half an acre behind the house, which is where the veg plot is, and I've been thinking of planting a few fruit trees.
Watering is a slight problem for us because the pressure is so poor but I catch rainwater from the polytunnel and also fill tubs with the hose whilst I'm working. That's a bit easier than having to take water as you do.

Scrungee
1st July 2009, 15:20
I have barrels/old water tanks all over the place that get filled from shed water butts and then I drag water containers to them on a trolley so there's always water close by, otherwise I might get tempted not to bother and lose something.

Breaking it down into lots of small areas makes it less daunting.

shoppaholic45
1st July 2009, 19:03
My tomato plants have some canes to support them but they keep falling over do i need to get bigger canes? Also how do i know when my potatoes are ready.

frexy
1st July 2009, 20:45
My tomato plants have some canes to support them but they keep falling over do i need to get bigger canes? Also how do i know when my potatoes are ready.

Have you tied the toms to the canes?
When you see flowers out on the pots have a scrat around the base before digging up the whole root and see if there are any decent sized ones there.

Moll
2nd July 2009, 00:41

i put one cane across all my other canes , and tie onto , it gives the other canes support and strength , hope you know what i mean , then tie my toms plants to them as they grow,

shoppaholic45
2nd July 2009, 08:29
Have you tied the toms to the canes?
When you see flowers out on the pots have a scrat around the base before digging up the whole root and see if there are any decent sized ones there.

I did, the canes are shorter than the tomato plants. I will go and have a look at the potatoes as they are flowering. Thankyou for your help.

i put one cane across all my other canes , and tie onto , it gives the other canes support and strength , hope you know what i mean , then tie my toms plants to them as they grow,

Thats a good idea, i will try that, should i get bigger canes, my tomatos are in grow bags. Thankyou for your help.

shoppaholic45
2nd July 2009, 08:36
I just had a look at the pototoe plants and i can't feel anything when i dig down with the trowel, they are in plastic garden buckets. Also it looks like something is eating the leaves, i found a snail in there, do they eat potato plants, what can i do to stop them from being eaten.

Moll
3rd July 2009, 15:11
.mine are in grow bags too ,

Thats a good idea, i will try that, should i get bigger canes, my tomatos are in grow bags. Thankyou for your help.[/QUOTE]

suzie3441
3rd July 2009, 15:17
I am so excited as I got an allotment this week. It is overgrown and has been used as a bit of a dumping ground but some of the other allotment holders have already helped me start clearing and have even built me a gate and fence. I am so looking forward to when it is finally sorted and we can start growing!!

tiger
3rd July 2009, 15:20
Congratulations Suzie.
Nice to have such good neighbours on the allotment. I expect they will be glad that it's going to worked and looked after again.

suzie3441
3rd July 2009, 15:29
I shall be reading through this thread to get tips and ideas. I have very little knowledge of gardening so soaking up all the advice at the moment! lol

pookienoodle
5th July 2009, 15:36
I just recieved an email from the council,they are finally re-opening a disused allotment site.
I should have one in 6-8 weeks.
It will be newly rotavated and fenced.
no idea where to start but at least everyone on the site will be starting from scratch.

suziq
5th July 2009, 16:23
thats excellent pookie!
i pulled a carrot up today, was hyper excited!

msjg
5th July 2009, 16:37
Well I must go out and pick some sugar snaps. Had a laugh the other day dd who is 20 went down the garden to pick some stuff for a salad, she came back with one onion saying it all looked like weeds :eek: When I looked at her onion it was a baby leek!

Scrungee
5th July 2009, 18:28
Mrs Scrungee has made her spiced vinegar ready for pickling the shallots which have just started to ripen (much easier than sowing those 'paris silverskin' onions and you simply save some of the crop to produce next year's

And I pulled them up today. I was going to weed them as the weeds all amongst them were about to set seed. Much easier now to simply hoe them off and then plant some sweet williams. About 30% will be saved to re-plant next year.

Also harvested my 'pickling onions' which are from maincrop onion seeds, bought from Wilkos reduced/car boots/etc. really cheap (10p/pkt ish) and sowed last July - same time as overwintering spring onions - also sowed really thickly in a wide seed drill and are now ripe and just the right size.

SuzyWoo
5th July 2009, 18:48
My runner beans aren't setting! Am going to try and lime the ground to encourage them but does anyone have any other ideas?

tiger
5th July 2009, 19:01
I usually find the first few flowers don't set.
Someone told me to spray the flowers with sugar and water to encourage the bees. Even if it doesn't work, it can't do any harm.

pookienoodle
5th July 2009, 19:54
My runner beans aren't setting! Am going to try and lime the ground to encourage them but does anyone have any other ideas?
Have you tried mulching round the bases to keep the moisture in?
Its had to keep RB's moist enough with the weather we are having.

colman
5th July 2009, 20:04
just back from hols and went to check on the site...picked 7 courgettes some anya spuds and still more radishes!!!

Blinkin rabbit has got back in although everything was covered and protected whilst away so not too much damage...have now filled the hole with bricks - surely it can't get through bricks!!!

suziq
5th July 2009, 20:15
had 2 raddish and a mini carrot at tea time!
having to fertilise my toms with a paint brush!!!!!

colman
5th July 2009, 20:16
give them a good tickle suziq they will soon pollinate!

suziq
5th July 2009, 20:19
makes me feel a bit pervy!
having to do cuucs too, think the snail was doing the job lol. only 3 have set

tiger
5th July 2009, 20:21
Don't pollinate the cuc's Suzi. Remove the male flowers or you get bitter flavoured cucumbers.

colman
5th July 2009, 20:52
my cues have all been nibbled by blinkin snails i have one left with one leaf on not holding out much hope!!

suziq
5th July 2009, 21:37
Don't pollinate the cuc's Suzi. Remove the male flowers or you get bitter flavoured cucumbers.

hi tiger

how can you tell?

tiger
5th July 2009, 22:16
Female flowers have a baby cucumber at the back of them. Male flowers don't. You can get plants that only produce female flowers, so it makes it easier, although they can occasionally produce males ones.

suziq
5th July 2009, 22:18
most of mine seem to be female then, thats lucky!

didnt realise they needed to fertilise till only got 3 fruits from 15 flowers :(

walter2003
13th July 2009, 20:12
This is my first attempt at growing veggies in my tiny backyard. I have planted lots of lettuce, 4 different varieties, and they are fluorishing. Should I pluck the lettuce leaves from the outer edge or the tender buds? How long do these plants last? Will they die automatically with the onset of winter? Any help is gratefully accepted.

msjg
13th July 2009, 20:23

I was worried about my runners too, they are now setting!! alot of the lower first flowers dropped.

suziq
13th July 2009, 20:27
where cuucs were not fertilised, seems to be flowering again whoohoo!
more toms setting now with a daily tickle from a paintbrush
just had a post tea strawb
loving it all!

SuzyWoo
14th July 2009, 11:41
I was worried about my runners too, they are now setting!! alot of the lower first flowers dropped.

Was just coming on to post an update - exactly the same as you. Did nothing and they are now setting!

walter2003
14th July 2009, 20:05
more toms setting now with a daily tickle from a paintbrush

I apologise for my ignorance. What does this mean?
My tomato plants have started flowering. Should I do something for tomatoes to grow from the flowers?

suziq
14th July 2009, 20:51
usually insects pollinate them walter, but mine were not being fertilised so i've had to do it myself with a paintbrush!

joload
14th July 2009, 21:31
usually insects pollinate them walter, but mine were not being fertilised so i've had to do it myself with a paintbrush!

So you just waggle a brush around the flowers on each plant then??

tiger
14th July 2009, 21:48
We've had lots of pickings of mange tout. It was well worth growing, easy to prepare and cook too. I cook them in the steamer above the potatoes. There are masses of ordinary peas ready for picking too.
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread for the help and encouragement. My veg plot has definitely been worthwhile.

suziq
14th July 2009, 22:26
So you just waggle a brush around the flowers on each plant then??

yup, thats what i'm doing, seems to be working

andylaine
15th July 2009, 00:05
We've had lots of pickings of mange tout. It was well worth growing, easy to prepare and cook too. I cook them in the steamer above the potatoes. There are masses of ordinary peas ready for picking too.
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread for the help and encouragement. My veg plot has definitely been worthwhile.

I swear I can see the mange tout growing lol. last night I picked over 20 pods and there wasnt a one left, had a look this morning and there were another 7. I also like them stir fried with peppers, onions and mushrooms.

tiger
15th July 2009, 00:07
Yes they do seem to grow fast. I thought the ones I picked today might have been too big but they were lovely and tender when cooked.
I like small ones in a salad too.

andylaine
15th July 2009, 00:36
my 3yr old grandaughter loves picking and eating the little ones, she gets so excited when she spots them lol. she has her own little gardening set and watering can and spends hours helping me sow and plant, then she takes home some peas and lettuces that she's grown for her tea. its been a great way of getting her to try different veg too.

numpty
15th July 2009, 07:52
Ive dug me spuds, taste yummy! also courgettes are coming well also my chillies!

SuzyWoo
15th July 2009, 07:53
Is it about time to get spuds planted in post for Christmas?

pookienoodle
15th July 2009, 15:46
Is it about time to get spuds planted in post for Christmas?

first week in august is when we plant news.
only ever done them in a tub in the back garden though.

SuzyWoo
15th July 2009, 16:21
Meant in a tub. Better get some seed pots ordered! Thanks.

Scrungee
15th July 2009, 17:49
Our house is now full of the fragrance of sweet peas!

Last sowings of lettuce, radicchio, spring onions, land cress. leaf beet, peas, french beans and herbs all done. Just dianthus to sow and overwintering garlic/onions to plant now, otherwise pick, pick, pick.... Tescos seem to have noticed the dramatic drop off in fruit & veg purchases and are bombarding us with till splits for vitamins & minerals as they must be worried about our health.

My overwintering porcelain garlic (see post #84) have just been dug up, some of which are a reasonable size:

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm69/Scrungee_photos/porcgarlic2.jpg

which just leaves my spring planted Christo garlic to harvest.

joload
18th July 2009, 10:12
A short but gurthy cuecumber fell off in the rain last night - daughter is very proud of it but doesn't want to eat it she wants to show everyone. Carrots are ready for picking - may have to blanch and freeze them -broad bean and peas are ready too.

not sure about my spuds thay haven't flowered yet but are all getting battered leaved and stems in the rain.

Squash is getting large

Toms need staking again and getting very unruly - I am sure I read somehwere about stripping certain leaves off but anyone any idea what leaves??

Also I planted some garlic in the spring - when do I harvest that is it next spring?

tiger
18th July 2009, 11:15
Take off the tomato leaves below each truss of fruit. If there are a lot then don't take off too many at once.

suziq
18th July 2009, 15:58
just the one below tiger?

why is that/

tiger
18th July 2009, 16:16
It's supposed to let the feed get to the fruit rather than the leaves, but the plant needs some leaves so you take the ones below. That's what my old neighbour told me anyway and I've carried on doing it.

suziq
18th July 2009, 16:18
so all of the ones under any fruit?
so no leaves except above fruit?
i guess that makes sense, thanx T!!

Scrungee
18th July 2009, 17:12
Also I planted some garlic in the spring - when do I harvest that is it next spring?

Should be ready when the stem/leaves go yellowy/brown an start drying. If they're still green (or partly green) there's goodnesss in them that hasn't gon into the bulb yet.

I've just planted my overwintering garlic, but my spring planted garlic probably won't be ready for another week or two.

TB4100
18th July 2009, 19:58
Today while out walking we found our first blackberrys :clap2:we picked about 1/2 a pound this seems so early is this a record ?

suziq
18th July 2009, 20:09
that does seem early!

jamsandwhich
19th July 2009, 21:28
Dug up our last spuds today only to find that next doors cat has been using the bag to poo in, one was very fresh. So, they have gone in the skip along with the soil. Am gutted cos they were lovely and now the cat is history ;-)

Bought a silent alarm from the garden centre today and have a couple of buckets of cold water by the back step for when it gets chucked out tonight and then it will be one wet and ****ed pussycat!!! I am not intolerant either - it has also been marking by beans!