PDA

View Full Version : 241 ideas wanted!

jen
22nd March 2009, 15:23
Just triggered our 241, any ideas welcome for next Feb or early March, have just done cape town + safari, fancy somewhere with a nice beach and a clear sea for swimming. Did look at Singapore plus Borneo but apparently sea not that nice, same with Langkawi.
I had bookmarked a thread with some links from Raffles but it has vanished!!

angelic
22nd March 2009, 16:03
Singapore is a wonderful place so clean and very friendly people.
Borneo is very interesting, depends which state you are looking at going to? KK and Kuching are more touristy than Brunei, but having said that it is probably quite different now to when we were there.
People just didn't go/didn't go on the beach and would go in hotel pools instead. In Brunei, there were no facilities on beaches at all and it would have been a bit risky IYSWIM.

Not been to Langkawi, but have been to KL and Penang - didn't like KL and not much to do in Penang, but depends what sort of holiday you want?

I'd love to go back to Bali - easy to combine with Singapore - lovely beaches, problem is the sand can be so hot you can't walk on it and again peeps tend to use hotel pools.

jen
22nd March 2009, 19:08
thanks for those suggestions, had considered Bali but apparently feb is not the best time to travel, what time of year did you go there?

Raffles
22nd March 2009, 20:38
Barbados is an obvious choice - Feb is good time to go and Jan peak season is over. We did a week there a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

Langkawi - is not bad. Like Barbados, it has other stuff to do apart from sitting on the beach, eg mangrove swamp tours, the mountain cable car. However, BA does not fly to KL so you would need to go to SIN and pay for a connection.

Mexico is also very interesting - I did a long thread on the BA FT board after we went (search for threads started by me with Mexico in the heading).

jen
22nd March 2009, 20:51
Thanks, we are favouring Barbados at the moment. I do like the look of Mexico and have read your interesting report, but we toured around South Africa and will also be doing the same in Colorado/Phoenix in September and my OH would like some downtime on the beach.

jen
27th March 2009, 12:06
Just booked this morning! In the end OH fancied the far east, so we are going for two weeks flying into Bangkok and out of Singapore, will spend probably 3 nights in Bangkok, 2 in Singapore and the rest chilled out on the beach somewhere. Any hotel recommendations welcome:)

smerch1468
28th March 2009, 07:44
You will love singapore. Its one of the cleanest cities in the world with very low crime rates. When we went there a few years back, we liked it so much we considered emigrating.

chipsdog
29th March 2009, 22:01
Just booked this morning! In the end OH fancied the far east, so we are going for two weeks flying into Bangkok and out of Singapore, will spend probably 3 nights in Bangkok, 2 in Singapore and the rest chilled out on the beach somewhere. Any hotel recommendations welcome:)

well done on booking, I have spent the last two nights trying to find somewhere - want warm beach lazy 7 days in Jan/Feb, must be Intercontinetal Hotel - may book Oman - any ideas gladly received

99redballs
30th March 2009, 17:27
if your and adventurous type, how about staying in Chang mai and going on an elephant trek in the jungle and then float down the river on a bamboo raft and admire the stunning scenery?
we stayed 3 nights there. there is also the largest night market in thailand.

jen
31st March 2009, 16:20
You will love singapore. Its one of the cleanest cities in the world with very low crime rates. When we went there a few years back, we liked it so much we considered emigrating.

Thanks I am looking forward to Singapore, wish we could have stayed longer, but due to other commitments could only make a total two week holiday and friends say you need more time in Bangkok than Singapore.
By the way thanks for your tip ages ago for Kuoni for hotel only bookings, they have given me a couple of quotes for hotels which are cheaper than anything else I have found online at the moment!

jen
31st March 2009, 16:22
well done on booking, I have spent the last two nights trying to find somewhere - want warm beach lazy 7 days in Jan/Feb, must be Intercontinetal Hotel - may book Oman - any ideas gladly received

Sorry, found it hard enough to decide this time without being restricted to one hotel chain! Oman does look good though, have you booked yet?

jen
31st March 2009, 16:24
if your and adventurous type, how about staying in Chang mai and going on an elephant trek in the jungle and then float down the river on a bamboo raft and admire the stunning scenery?
we stayed 3 nights there. there is also the largest night market in thailand.

Thanks, I do like the look of that, it is just the time issue, it will cut down our beach time, really need a month away to do everything!

shazziedi
1st April 2009, 19:32
Can someone explain what "triggered 241 means" to a dumb reader.
Thanks

jen
1st April 2009, 23:10
Here goes! I have an American Express British Airways Credit card, which once you spend 10,000 on, emails you a voucher which entitles you to two tickets for the price of one. Timing is crucial as there are only a limited amount of reward seats on each flight so you have to be ready to book as soon as you spend your 10,000 which 'triggers' the voucher.
There is a british airways executive club 'sticky' which explains this more fully.

chipsdog
21st April 2009, 20:58
Next year I have a big birthday, I want to go to Vegas.

BA don't fly to Vegas, I want to use my Amex 241, I quite fancy Hawai as well

has anyone done Vegas/Hawai using a 241 ??

thanks

far canel
22nd April 2009, 21:48
Next year I have a big birthday, I want to go to Vegas.

BA don't fly to Vegas, I want to use my Amex 241, I quite fancy Hawai as well

has anyone done Vegas/Hawai using a 241 ??

thanks

BA also don't fly to Hawai, you would have to fly to L.A. or S.F. and purchase an onward return to Hawai.
I use a 241 for flights to L.A. and hire a car to tour which usually includes a visit to Vegas

starfish3533
29th April 2009, 17:30

I have been too Singapore a couple of times last time i stayed at a four seasons hotel "The Regent" and really loved it. We stayed there for a couple of days before going off to Bintan in a normal room and then a suite for 4 days on return on a deal that cost same as the room. The room was lovely but the suite was fantastic and i'm sure i booked it direct with the hotel. My dad stayed at the Shangri La and loved it. have a lovely time.

jen
4th May 2009, 11:58
Thanks starfish will look at these.:)