PDA

View Full Version : need some help re buyers address please

andylaine
23rd March 2009, 13:39
just looking for some advice, can anyone help please? Im still a bit of a novice with ebay so this might be a daft question.

I sold some tickets on ebay last night, in the listing I said I would post special delivery to the paypal confirmed address.the buyer paid straightaway but when I went to get it ready to post this morning I noticed that the paypal address is unconfirmed. paypal had put a tick by the address and said that it was ok to post and that it was eligble for seller protection because it was going by special delivery. I have sent to unconfirmed addresses before (only recently had my own confirmed) with no problem so decided to post but when the SA tried to print the label she said that the postcode was for a completely different address so couldnt take it. have checked the post code with royal mail and it is for a completely different street. I thought maybe the buyer had just made a mistake and input one number wrong or something, but its way out.

any ideas whats the best thing to do? buyer has 100% feedback, mainly as a buyer. TIA

Grace & Favour
23rd March 2009, 13:49
just looking for some advice, can anyone help please? Im still a bit of a novice with ebay so this might be a daft question.

I sold some tickets on ebay last night, in the listing I said I would post special delivery to the paypal confirmed address.the buyer paid straightaway but when I went to get it ready to post this morning I noticed that the paypal address is unconfirmed. paypal had put a tick by the address and said that it was ok to post and that it was eligble for seller protection because it was going by special delivery. I have sent to unconfirmed addresses before (only recently had my own confirmed) with no problem so decided to post but when the SA tried to print the label she said that the postcode was for a completely different address so couldnt take it. have checked the post code with royal mail and it is for a completely different street. I thought maybe the buyer had just made a mistake and input one number wrong or something, but its way out.

any ideas whats the best thing to do? buyer has 100% feedback, mainly as a buyer. TIA

As a seller you can get the Buyers address & telephone number details - - go to help, search, member (?) and type in their ebay user name, together with your auction number.

Ebay will then send you on email, (within minutes) the buyers registered addy.

angelic
23rd March 2009, 13:54
I would definitely not post the tickets until your buyer can confirm her address....you are now OK to send to unconfirmed addresses, but no way would I do so if postcode and address don't match.

I wouldn't alert your buyer to how you discovered the problem - if he/she is a scammer, you don't want to help them IYSWIM ;)
Just say that due to the sale being for tickets you require the address to be confirmed. As a seller you can request this and can refuse to sell if buyer doesn't comply ;)

Confirming an address takes a few days I think (don't quote me) and any genuine person wouldn't mind this at all.
Better safe than sorry - please let us know how you get on - good luck :)

angelic
23rd March 2009, 13:55
As a seller you can get the Buyers address & telephone number details - - go to help, search, member (?) and type in their ebay user name, together with your auction number.

Ebay will then send you on email, (within minutes) the buyers registered addy.

G&F's post went on while i was still typing ....lol ....

If you request buyer's details from Ebay, please be aware the buyer will also receive yours including phone number.
Useful to know in case you would rather not chose that option ;)

andylaine
23rd March 2009, 14:06
thanks very much G+F and Angelic for replying so quickly, really appreciate you taking the time to help. Im still a bit of a novice with selling, Im mainly a buyer.

I will do what Angelic suggests first and ask the buyer to confirm their address, as I did say in the listing that I would only post to a confirmed address. there is still plenty of time before the ticket date to do this and to relist if neccessary so not too worried about the time. will go and do this now and see what happens. If I dont get any reply in a few days I will do what G+F suggests. will let you know what happens, thanks again

Grace & Favour
23rd March 2009, 14:06

If you request buyer's details from Ebay, please be aware the buyer will also receive yours including phone number.

Thanks Angelic

andylaine
23rd March 2009, 14:33

I didnt know that either, thank you. there's so much to learn about ebay its like learning a new job lol. Im just so glad that we have people on pts with lots of ebay experience who are willing to help as ebay themselves are hopeless if you ask anything.

Ive had a check on paypal, if they register a card and do the confirmation by the automated phone call it is done straight away but if not it can take 7 - 10 days by post. Ive just sent a message to the buyer so will wait and see what they say.

angelic
23rd March 2009, 20:38
Good luck Andylaine and please update when/if your buyer replies to you.

If you need more help, just ask, we're all here to help each other :)

andylaine
24th March 2009, 12:51
Good luck Andylaine and please update when/if your buyer replies to you.

If you need more help, just ask, we're all here to help each other :)

thank you :)

I contacted the buyer and he replied to say that he had thought he had confirmed his address but had checked and he hadnt so he had done it by the automated phone. when I checked the transaction in my paypal it still showed as unconfirmed, I couldnt find any answer on paypal help as to if or when this would update to confirmed, so I rang paypal.

what a nightmare their automated system is. eventually after a lot of speaking to an automated voice (very strange experience lol) I got to speak to a real person although it took a while before they could understand what my query was. they said that the transaction page would not update to show address confirmed as the transaction was complete and that the only way for me to be able to see the address was confirmed was to issue a refund and for the buyer to repay.

Ive issued the refund and notified the buyer, so am just waiting for him to resend the payment. Have to say the buyer has been very quick to reply and has been very apologetic, so hopefully will be able to sort it out. will update asap.

angelic
24th March 2009, 13:43
Thanks for updating us :)

PayPal/Ebay help can be as useful as a chocolate teapot at times, but good you got the right advice.
I hope it all works out for you OK in the end :)

andylaine
25th March 2009, 01:10
Thanks for updating us :)

PayPal/Ebay help can be as useful as a chocolate teapot at times, but good you got the right advice.
I hope it all works out for you OK in the end :)

know what you mean about paypal/ebay now - at one point I asked Oh if he thought I had a communication problem as I couldnt get them to understand what my question was lol

hopefully things are sorted now. I got a message from the buyer today to say they had resent the payment, I checked the transaction on paypal and their address has been confirmed and the correct postcode is showing, so have posted them out now.

Having read some of the problems people on here have had with selling on ebay I was a bit concerned about what response I might get, but have to say the buyer has been great about it, has replied to my messages quickly and has sorted it out straightaway.

thanks again for your help, you're a :star-smiley:

angelic
25th March 2009, 09:58
Great your buyer was quick and has happily confirmed their address.
I hope all is now well, pleasure to help when I can :)

Emmamed
25th March 2009, 12:27
nice to see u getting it sorted, for anyone reading this who need to contact paypal, once yr call is answered just keep asking for an agent,/advisor this saves going through all the menus and alot of time.

andylaine
31st March 2009, 00:59
nice to see u getting it sorted, for anyone reading this who need to contact paypal, once yr call is answered just keep asking for an agent,/advisor this saves going through all the menus and alot of time.

thanks, will do that if I have to contact them again. its really bizarre talking to an automated voice lol