PDA

View Full Version : Buyer asking for original receipt for new item

Waterfall
10th April 2009, 15:11
Hoping someone can :help: pls. I have sold a brand new item that I found for a bargain price. The buyer is asking for the original receipt so validate the guarentee with the company. I didnt advertise as including the receipt so presumabley do not have to include it? Any help appreaciated :)

Grace & Favour
10th April 2009, 15:12
Hi Waterfall,

All you have to say is that you were given the item(s) as a present - and have no Guarantee . . .

The buyer will have to talk nicely with the manufacturer to get his Guarantee validated I'm afraid

SuzyWoo
10th April 2009, 15:13
Can you say it was brought as a present for you so you don't have it?

SuzyWoo
10th April 2009, 15:13
Snap Gracey!

Waterfall
10th April 2009, 15:16
Hi Waterfall,

All you have to say is that you were given the item(s) as a present - and have no Guarantee . . .

The buyer will have to talk nicely with the manufacturer to get his Guarantee validated I'm afraid

Can you say it was brought as a present for you so you don't have it?
Thanks guys The buyer is calling the manufacturer to see if they will honour. I sold it 150 under RRP so they got a good deal.

Waterfall
10th April 2009, 15:19
Sorry thinking out loud here The problem is I have sold a few of these items recently :whistle: so cant really say it is a present :o No one has ever asked before.

SuzyWoo
10th April 2009, 15:27
Er, in that case is it just one receipt for all you purchased or individual receipts? You could always post it on once you get feedback - they have still had a bargain!

rainbow
10th April 2009, 15:28
Did you say in the listing that it was still under guarantee? It's a difficult one. I think if I was buying something expensive that could go faulty, I'd probably want to know it was guaranteed.

obscure
10th April 2009, 15:46
Are you sure they dont want the receipt to try and return it rather than for the guarantee??? Sounds like there is a profit to be made even if they only got vouchers not cash for the return

Waterfall
10th April 2009, 15:54
Er, in that case is it just one receipt for all you purchased or individual receipts? You could always post it on once you get feedback - they have still had a bargain!

There are a couple of things on the same receipt. I like to keep them to check my records but also dont want to reveal my source to too many people as they may jump on band wagon.

Did you say in the listing that it was still under guarantee? It's a difficult one. I think if I was buying something expensive that could go faulty, I'd probably want to know it was guaranteed.
No I didnt offer guarentee or receipt. It isnt electrical. I know what you mean Rainbow - funny I have not been asked before. It is a very reputable company so doubt they will have problems

As an aside JBC have just replaced DS2 IPOD player that was purchased in Tesco and the receipt lost.

Waterfall
10th April 2009, 15:56
Are you sure they dont want the receipt to try and return it rather than for the guarantee??? Sounds like there is a profit to be made even if they only got vouchers not cash for the return
They wont make a profit if they have the receipt :lol: I made a profit on the sale too.

SuzyWoo
10th April 2009, 15:58
Could you offer to phone the company to get the receipt validated on their behalf? If they send you the paperwork that would be a way round it. Say you have other items on the receipt so you don't want to risk losing it or your own stuff will be invalidated?!

Waterfall
10th April 2009, 16:00
Could you offer to phone the company to get the receipt validated on their behalf? If they send you the paperwork that would be a way round it. Say you have other items on the receipt so you don't want to risk losing it or your own stuff will be invalidated?! Good idea Suz Will have to wait until Tuesday so will call and see what the company says.

Grace & Favour
10th April 2009, 16:08
Could you offer to phone the company to get the receipt validated on their behalf? If they send you the paperwork that would be a way round it. Say you have other items on the receipt so you don't want to risk losing it or your own stuff will be invalidated?!

Inspired suggestion SuzyWoo!:clap2:

angelic
10th April 2009, 16:29
Good thinking Suzy!!

I wouldn't have thought a receipt was necessary to validate a guarantee?
If you have been given an item as a gift, you would just complete the guarantee card that comes with the product - you wouldn't have a receipt for a gift?

I tend to think same as Obscure and wonder if there is an ulterior motive in wanting the receipt?
As you say the item was not advertised as coming with receipt, you are not obliged to provide one.

Waterfall
10th April 2009, 16:39
I have just emailed the company saying I have been given the item as a gift without receipt and will they honour the guarentee.. watch this space :ranger:

Waterfall
25th April 2009, 08:13
The end of the story. I have just sent this message to the buyer. It has been a nightmare :( :(

I have to reply to this as you are making allegations about me through ebay stating I knew I was selling damaged good which is not true. As far as I was aware the buggy was perfect when sent. I did not check the buggy myself my husband did. My husband has told me the item was perfect. The scratchs are now on the handle bars but cosmetic and not very visable so I have assumed he missed them or they happened in transit. On these grounds I have fully refunded you and relisted the buggy detailing the scratchs.
I also note before purchasing you asked me to reduce the price to 240 including postage and I refused. After purchasing you questioned whether the receipt was included - it was not listed as included and I advised it was not. I offered for you to cancel the transaction but suggested you did so before I arranged a courier. You advised you still wanted the buggy.
Once the buggy arrived you advised me the handle bars were scratched. Initially I asked for a photo but then changed my mind and agreed to refund the buggy. I do not know how the scratchs arrived on the buggy.
Regarding the paypal fees - I consulted a forum where I was advised I could have refunded you through the link where you paid and neither of us would have paid fees and I passed this information to you hoping it may help you in the future.
I have not refunded a buyer through paypal before so was not sure of the correct way of doing so.
I have apologised for your disappointment, refunded in full and wished you well.

Darkangel709
25th April 2009, 08:42
Did you get the goods back though?

Waterfall
25th April 2009, 08:45
Did you get the goods back though?

Yes I organised and paid for courier both ways. I am about 60 out of pocket :(

princesskerry
25th April 2009, 09:19
Do you think she purposely made these scratches to get out of the sale?
I wonder if she has seen the same item cheaper, it seems strange that she was so keen on the sale she tried to negotiate the price and still bought it at the higher price when you refused. She must have really really wanted it, until she maybe saw it elsewhere cheaper.
It sounds like so much hassle, this puts me off selling on ebay even more.

Waterfall
25th April 2009, 09:33
Do you think she purposely made these scratches to get out of the sale?
I wonder if she has seen the same item cheaper, it seems strange that she was so keen on the sale she tried to negotiate the price and still bought it at the higher price when you refused. She must have really really wanted it, until she maybe saw it elsewhere cheaper.
It sounds like so much hassle, this puts me off selling on ebay even more.

The truth is I dont know how the scratchs got there. I think she wanted the receipt but accepted it without then found a buyer that was willing to supply one. She told me all other seller provided one that is why she assumed I did. I am going to watch her feedback (5 at the moment) to see how much she paid. I have found most people on ebay to be really nice but there is always the odd one :rolleyes: Maybe we should have an 'ebayers we have blocked' thread so we can listed our blocked ebayers so others can do the same if they wish.

angelic
25th April 2009, 10:45
Buyer also bought another Quinny item (listed as brand new) and saved over 80 on M/care RRP according to the listing.

The cynic in me makes me wonder if the request for the receipt ties up to this other purchase and she intended returning both items to a store.....
If she did try this and was refused (quite likely with no receipt) she would be looking to return the buggy to you IYSWIM.

Although the ID was only registered this year, I am very surprised at a newbie with 5 feedback being so au fait with Ebay to know to ask for a refund?

Waterfall
26th April 2009, 18:34
She has left me a negative :mad:

penfold
26th April 2009, 18:40
She has left me a negative :mad:

Don't let it bother you.....I know whenever I see a neg from a newbie I just ignore it.

Can you still reply to a neg? I would just leave a factual reply basically stating what happened and other buyers (and indeed sellers) will see it for what it was :(

Waterfall
26th April 2009, 19:06
Anger has got to me and I have said that I believe that she damaged the buggy to force a return. I called ebay helpline yesterday and I will call them again tomorrow to see if they can get the neg removed. Trouble is the buggy is listed again with the scratches. Hope it doesnt put people off :( :(

Freebird
26th April 2009, 19:19
You can't get the neg removed I'm afraid - not unless she has mentioned a paypal dispute or said something slanderous about you in the neg. I agree that she appears very au fait with ebay for a newby....and that I too would always disregard negs from newbies. Leave a calm, factual follow-up and put it down to experience.

Waterfall
26th April 2009, 19:22
I have replied to the neg saying I think she damaged to force a return. Should I leave a positive for her with a negative message? I am sooo cross :mad:

Freebird
26th April 2009, 19:26
NO! A negative positive is definite grounds for removal by ebay and a slap on the wrists for you. Don't be tempted, especially as she seems to know what she's doing. I can totally understand that you're angry, but it isn't worth the aggro.

Take a deep breath, think positive thoughts and remember that what goes round, comes round. She'll get hers....one day. :)

Waterfall
26th April 2009, 19:32
You are right. FB and Penfold. Deep breath Large glass of wine :maldives-wine: Worse things happen than a neg on ebay :lol:

Freebird
26th April 2009, 19:34
You are right. FB and Penfold. Deep breath Large glass of wine :maldives-wine: Worse things happen than a neg on ebay :lol:

That's the spirit! :hug:

MMMMMmm wine......or spirit....:)

janedoe
26th April 2009, 20:25
TBH I think she is a seller with another account to sell with and uses this one to 'buy bargains' with the hope of selling on with more of a profit - 'buy it now' type auction, and this is why she is so au fait with ebay and was hoping to get the receipt to pass on to her 'buyer' to get the guarentee or like it has been mentioned she was trying to return the item in the hope of getting money back, but she maybe has used the item and it has got scratched in the process and has decided to try her luck getting the money back and I think I would have insisted on photo's showing the damage before refunding and not paid the return delivery, she might even be someone spiteful and bidding on PTS members items just so she can leave a neg as they can without retaliation. This is the worse thing that happened on ebay that sellers can't leave negs for the truly bad buyers. If you only have one neg per 100 sales your feedback will stay at 100% and soon it will disappear off the front page, chin up - large glass of wine and enjoy the rest of the evening. :)

angelic
26th April 2009, 20:26

Very true.....I'll have a glass of wine for you too :)

Well done for leaving a factual follow-up to the neg, in situations like this, it is sooo annoying you can't neg the buyer :mad:

Looking at her other feedback left, she left a neg for her second transaction - hardly the action of a newbie??
I also noticed she had an issue with the Quinny Carrycot she purchased...that makes me even more sure she was hoping to be able to return your buggy (and the carry cot) to a store for a refund :rolleyes:
If that is the case, good that her plan has backfired on her - Karma :D

Waterfall
26th April 2009, 20:58
Hopefully Ebay will be helpful tomorrow. I have contacted ebay yesterday to explian the situation. They were quite helpful and offered me a 20 code which they are emailing to me. I call again tomorrow. As the basis of her neg is because I didnt initially refund her paypal fees maybe they will retract as not part of the contract? Eventually I refunded everything. Anyway NZ sav blanc (3 for 10) is nice and cheap :lol:

obscure
26th April 2009, 21:17
Anger has got to me and I have said that I believe that she damaged the buggy to force a return. I called ebay helpline yesterday and I will call them again tomorrow to see if they can get the neg removed. Trouble is the buggy is listed again with the scratches. Hope it doesnt put people off :( :(

Was the box containing the buggy sealed at the handle end? The scratches on the item you have re-listed look like damage from opening the box carelessly with a knife - which I guess was done by the first buyer!!

Definitely an alias ID, I think her feedback is far too knowing for a newbie as others have said! Grrrr :mad:

princesskerry
26th April 2009, 21:28
Was the box containing the buggy sealed at the handle end? The scratches on the item you have re-listed look like damage from opening the box carelessly with a knife - which I guess was done by the first buyer!!

Definitely an alias ID, I think her feedback is far too knowing for a newbie as others have said! Grrrr :mad:

Saw the update to this and had a look and have to agree with Obscure, I think these scratches have been done when the box was opened and I dont know about anyone else but if I was buying this buggy for myself a few little scratches on the handlebar wouldn't put me off you would only need to look at the wheels to know it's unused.
It's a lovely buggy I'm sure it will sell at a really good price so I know it's annoying but just ignore this lady and put it down to experience.
Does leave a bitter taste in your mouth though.

Waterfall
26th April 2009, 21:35
Thanks for all your help and support guys :o I am going to remove the buyers name now as it gives a lot away about me if Tesco come snooping. If anyone wants to add her to their banned list pls PM me

Waterfall
2nd May 2009, 10:59
Ebay have agreed to remove the negative Queen B left, it should disappear in a few days :)

Grace & Favour
2nd May 2009, 11:19
Ebay have agreed to remove the negative Queen B left, it should disappear in a few days :)

Excellent WF - -

It's such a pity that there are so many scammers around - it takes the motivation away from selling - and such a shame that you've had the hassle of meeting some, Waterfall.

But you know what they say - - lightning never strikes thrice!!

angelic
2nd May 2009, 12:33
Great news WF....I hope your future transactions are all happy ones :)

tyroleandancer
2nd May 2009, 12:34

Great news :)