PDA

View Full Version : stolen goods - wot do i do now?

kwebst
28th April 2009, 12:30
Hi Guys,
Need a bit of advice here. Bought some thomas cook worldwide holiday vouchers on ebay on my mastercard through paypal to pay for my holiday. Turns out they were stolen. Who do i aim to get money back from?
1. ebay for listing stolen goods
2. paypal
3. mastercard
I am in touch with the police so will be getting their involvement.
who should i really go to first as anything i put in an email seems to get an automated response.
cheers

holliemon
28th April 2009, 12:31
no advice but hope you get it sorted

Freebird
28th April 2009, 12:38
Your first stop is paypal, raise a dispute and raise it NOW. And escalate it immediately. Say in the appropriate section that you've been advised the vouchers are stolen. If you don't get your money back through paypal, you can then raise a chargeback through your credit card company. If police are involved and you have a crime ref number, also input this into your paypal claim. I would imagine paypal will rule in your favour pretty quickly.

Grace & Favour
28th April 2009, 12:44
First Question - - are you sure they're stolen? - who told you? - Who do they belong to?
2ndly - as FB says - IF you're sure they're stolen - raise the query with PayPal
3rdly - Tell teh Police
4thly - Tell your Credit Card Company

Freebird
28th April 2009, 12:53
First Question - - are you sure they're stolen? - who told you? - Who do they belong to?
2ndly - as FB says - IF you're sure they're stolen - raise the query with PayPal
3rdly - Tell teh Police

Good point G&F - should have added to only do this if you're sure they're stolen.

angelic
28th April 2009, 13:16
3rdly - Tell teh Police

Good point G&F - should have added to only do this if you're sure they're stolen.

Difficult to respond without an answer to this question which G&F has asked.....how do you know they are stolen and who told you they are stolen?

Can you give the Ebay auction number please?

I would have expected the police to advise you if they are involved? What have they told you to do?

kwebst
28th April 2009, 14:36
hi guys,
When i went to thomas cook to pay the holiday they log them into the computer. The voucher codes would not clear, so they had to phone the thomas cook voucher code office who told them they had been listed as stolen. After looking at this site i managed to get a phone number for ebay ( a very rare thing!) and they have been very good and have said that if what i say checks out then they will refund me the full amount within 3 -5 days. They say to deal with them and not paypal. I shall email them tonight with all the details after the police have been and i get a case number. Its for 800 so its a lot of dosh.Thanks for your help - i'll keep you posted.
cheers

Grace & Favour
28th April 2009, 15:12
Well done for keeping cool and handling it like this Kwebst . . .

I'll be fascinated to learn how it all goes for you !!!!!!

kwebst
30th April 2009, 20:50
Right then, latest is that the police were at the house last night and say they are going to raise a fraud enquiry about this. Never heard anything from ebay until early this morning when the full amount for the transaction was transferred into my paypal account. As you can imagine i have put in motion to transfer the whole lot to my bank account immediately!
Many thanks for posting the ebay telephone number - i couldn't have done without you guys. Hats off to abay too - within 48hours of the complaint, the money is in my paypal account.
cheers
kwebst

dingaling
30th April 2009, 21:19
Right then, latest is that the police were at the house last night and say they are going to raise a fraud enquiry about this. Never heard anything from ebay until early this morning when the full amount for the transaction was transferred into my paypal account. As you can imagine i have put in motion to transfer the whole lot to my bank account immediately!
Many thanks for posting the ebay telephone number - i couldn't have done without you guys. Hats off to abay too - within 48hours of the complaint, the money is in my paypal account.
cheers
kwebst

Phew!! Well done for getting it sorted, hope they catch the people concerned.

Freebird
30th April 2009, 22:46
That's an incredible result - I've never before heard of ebay refunding anyone on a purchase. They're usually at pains to point out that they are "just a venue". Count yourself very lucky there - well done.

Grace & Favour
30th April 2009, 23:19
cheers
kwebst

Seriously chuffed for you Kwebst!

Maybe the worm is turning at last!!!!!

angelic
1st May 2009, 08:48
You are so lucky, really pleased for you - I also have never heard of Ebay dealing with a refund and doing so at such speed.

Please can I ask -
What was the value of the vouchers you bought?
Did you give Ebay a crime number?
Were they aware of the problem with other buyers?

I am just interested to understand why Ebay acted so quickly.

Freebird
1st May 2009, 09:28
I'd be interested to hear that too, OP.

How long ago did you buy them and did others buy lots too? Has the seller been NARU'd?

We're fascinated as it usually takes at least 30 days for a claim - 2 is amazing.

Beej
1st May 2009, 15:52
hi guys,
When i went to thomas cook to pay the holiday they log them into the computer. The voucher codes would not clear, so they had to phone the thomas cook voucher code office who told them they had been listed as stolen. After looking at this site i managed to get a phone number for ebay ( a very rare thing!) and they have been very good and have said that if what i say checks out then they will refund me the full amount within 3 -5 days. They say to deal with them and not paypal. I shall email them tonight with all the details after the police have been and i get a case number. Its for 800 so its a lot of dosh.Thanks for your help - i'll keep you posted.
cheers

For Freebird & Angelic!

angelic
1st May 2009, 20:13
Thanks Beej :)

I was hoping the OP had come back to answer the questions Freebird and I have asked as there is something far from right with his claims.....
If he would be good enough to answer the questions we have asked it would be most interesting and enlightening....

kwebst
3rd May 2009, 07:23
Hi Guys,
I' not sure either why they coughed up so quickly. I think it was because i was actually able to speak to someone on the phone and then she gave me an email address to which i had to put everything down in writing. At that point i had an incident number with the police. I think it was because thomas cook were able to prove that the vouchers were stolen and that i had got the police involved immediately. I bought 800 worth of vouchers for 700. I received 16 50 vouchers of which 11 turned out to be stolen. Ebay have refunded me the 700 not 550 which i am entitled to but once i have the money in my bank account i'll sort that out. The transaction took place on 5/4/09 so i don't know if there were queries on his account before then. I am surprised that ebay have been so quick to act.
But it was all down to me getting that phone no off this web site!
cheers!
k

Grace & Favour
3rd May 2009, 07:45
kwebst - -

I think it's fair to say that we're all absolutely delighted for you . .

But your case has illustrated how dangerous it can be to buy vouchers off ebay . . - that could be a timely lesson for all of us!

Freebird
3rd May 2009, 07:55
Maybe ebay are hoping to avoid any more Watchdog expose's, hence the quick action. I would imagine speaking to a human at ebay towers helped a lot too - emails just get lost in their automated "let's ignore them" system.

Another buyer being saved from leaving ebay forever because they were scammed is always good, so very well done! let's hope they get the scammer too.

:)

princessa
3rd May 2009, 08:40
Hi Guys,
I' not sure either why they coughed up so quickly. I think it was because i was actually able to speak to someone on the phone and then she gave me an email address to which i had to put everything down in writing. At that point i had an incident number with the police. I think it was because thomas cook were able to prove that the vouchers were stolen and that i had got the police involved immediately. I bought 800 worth of vouchers for 700. I received 16 50 vouchers of which 11 turned out to be stolen. Ebay have refunded me the 700 not 550 which i am entitled to but once i have the money in my bank account i'll sort that out. The transaction took place on 5/4/09 so i don't know if there were queries on his account before then. I am surprised that ebay have been so quick to act.
cheers!
k

Glad things have worked out well for you :) Have you had to hand the vouchers over to the police, or have you managed to keep the 5 that weren't stolen, which you can use yourself? Would be nice if you've got a full refund and still 250 of usable vouchers!

angelic
3rd May 2009, 19:38
Hi Guys,
cheers!
k

Thanks for coming back to update us....

I am delighted you have a refund and so quick, but am still a bit confused -

You said you the refund was for the full amount and not just the amount of the stolen vouchers?
This is not normal practice at all and as the police are involved, I would be informing them and Ebay immediately that you have been refunded too much.

Also you said you originally paid via your Mastercard - PayPal always refund to the payment source so has the money arrived back on your card?

Can I ask for the seller's ID as it would be helpful to know it so anyone else looking to buy TC vouchers will know to avoid that seller in case he/she comes back with more vouchers at a later date ;)

Freebird
4th May 2009, 09:00
Yes, it would be good to get the seller's ID so we can all avoid them.

How did you find PTS for help? Most people land on the Q&A board on ebay, which is where I usually am to try and help.

I think another bit of advice for anyone buying vouchers would be don't leave it so long to ensure they're valid - OP bought them on 5th April, but didn't discover they were stolen until ca 27th/28th. By that time, any scammer would have cleared out their paypal account, disappeared and you would normally have no chance of claiming your money back unless you paid by credit card.

kwebst
4th May 2009, 11:20
HI Guys,
Wot a lot of questions! Totally agree with everything that has been said. I left it far too long before using the vouchers and i will be extremely wary about doing this again. I have bought thousands of vouchers over the years with no problems but this will probably stop me from buying any more, its not worth it.
As to the question of have i profited from this event,yes i have. When i handed the vouchers over in thomas cook they used the 5 that were ok and kept the stolen ones to send to head office. Therefore i feel i have profited by 250 but i have told both ebay and the police and am waiting to hear back about what ebay wants to do about it. I've been totally above board with both because i don't want to profit from this - just get my 550 back. They just seemed to be in such a hurry to give me my money back-strange i know! I checked my paypal account and its listed as coming from ebay and not a refund from the seller. When i told ebay on the phone i needed 550 back and not 710, she said it was policy to refund the full amount and then sort it out later!The impression i get is that there seemed to be a bit of panic when i said that the police were involved.
The refund went into my paypal account not credited to my credit card - i'm transferring the money into my bank account.
Why did i use you guys, well i've been using this site for tescos info for a long time now and found using ebay very unuser friendly. All you get back are automated responses and when i found a phone number on this site i though you guys seemed to know what you were talking about. I appreciate your feedback because i have found this a worrying time.
For your info the seller was *Edited - G&F. The problem i have is that who's to say that this guy isn't actually innocent in all this - has he been given these from someone who either stole them or bought them elsewhere when they were stolen. I just felt i had to cover my back since technically i was put in a position where i have bought stolen goods and tried to use them in a thomas cook shop! If i hadn't told the police thomas cook would have. I've just held my hands up and said where and how i got them and then kept ebay, thomas cook and the police updated. What might have helped my case with ebay was the fact that i had 10 times the feedback he had and am all 100%.
Thats all for now but i'll keep you posted!
Cheers
kwebst

Please Note: (By G&F)
I have edited out the name of the Ebay seller - although I fully understand the interest we all have in finding the identity of the 'allegedly rogue seller' - it would be unwise to publish their details on an open forum.

Of course - if you were to contact kwebst by any other way - by PM for example - then that is your decision

kwebst
4th May 2009, 13:27
Hi
Thanks for that G&F. I listed his name because i had been asked to but was uncomfortable about it. Innocent until proven guilty - we don't know where he got them from. He could be as innocent as i in this whole matter.
cheers
kwebst

el4ine
4th May 2009, 17:58
glad you got sorted out so quickly

i had a trivial claim for 30 and ebay phoned me after i raised it with paypal and from the phone call 2 days later ebay had refunded me