PDA

View Full Version : Grrr ... why don't people read the listings properly?

Made in Devon
28th April 2009, 21:29
I have put an ebay auction up for a friend, who isn't great with computers. The listing was for some wheel trims, BIN 275, no international postage and paypal only. Sounds simple ?? You would think so.

Anyway, they sold on Sunday afternoon, then when I tried to send the invoice it turned out to be Malaysia... I emailed and said I was prepared to send them internationally, but would get a quote from the post office the next day, and to be prepared that the postage could be nearer 50. I stated that I would not invoice until I knew the exact postage charge. Fair enough?

THEN... he emailed me and said his paypal wasnt activiated properly and could he pay by Western Union. I politely refused and said paypal only please. There is no getting through to him and now I shall have to re-list the item and go to the bother of claiming back the fees etc from ebay.

I realise there is every possibility that this seller is a scammer, he has a positive feedback of 100% but only 6 transactions... But I am not prepared to take any chances, I shall relist the item and block him from buying again. What a time waster.

zoot
28th April 2009, 21:57
Certainly relist them. If it says no international postage and then the buyer expects you to post internationally then you are completely justified in refusing to go ahead withthe transaction. Hope you do better when you relist them.

Made in Devon
28th April 2009, 22:02
Thanks Zoot, I have done so... I should be ok for claiming back fees either way, Western Union is not accepted by ebay either. It just makes me cross, as I could have had a genuine sale by now.

Freebird
28th April 2009, 22:03
Make sure you go via ebay to cancel the transaction and reclaim your final value fees. Don't give him a chance to do a mutual, go for the buyer from area you don't sell to option.

Made in Devon
28th April 2009, 22:14
Thanks Freebird, I have done that in the last five minutes.. I have relisted them for 275 and in the first five minutes someone has offered me 200.. I think I will wait a little longer

mum2-2girls
28th April 2009, 22:17
Thanks Zoot, I have done so... I should be ok for claiming back fees either way, Western Union is not accepted by ebay either. It just makes me cross, as I could have had a genuine sale by now.

Im with u MID. Especially if u get a lesser price second time round because of the time waster. So annoyin

Khufu
28th April 2009, 23:08
In response to your question - why don't people read listings properly

Because they don't have to - new rules mean buyers are always in the right no matter how irrational, intimidating, rude or illegal their behaviour is, and as a seller you have to just accept there, or do as I do now and sell via other means.

angelic
29th April 2009, 09:53
MID, you need to set your seller preferences to block any buyer from any country outside the UK on any listing you want to make a UK only sale.
If you don't, it will allow anyone anywhere in the world to bid on your auction.

You were right to be cautious, it is 99.9% certain the Malaysian buyer was about to scam you.
Never be fooled by 100% feedback....it could 100% as sellers have left feedback before realising they have been scammed or it could be a hijacked account.

Nobody should ever accept a Western Union payment for an Ebay purchase - it is not permitted to pay a seller by this method any more simply because it was a scammer's delight. You had a lucky escape...

mhoc
29th April 2009, 10:59
Thanks Freebird, I have done that in the last five minutes.. I have relisted them for 275 and in the first five minutes someone has offered me 200.. I think I will wait a little longer

Set your "best offer" figure a bit highter and do the automatically reject lower bids thing

mhoc
29th April 2009, 11:02
In response to your question - why don't people read listings properly

Because they don't have to - new rules mean buyers are always in the right no matter how irrational, intimidating, rude or illegal their behaviour is, and as a seller you have to just accept there, or do as I do now and sell via other means.

Drives me mad as well, the "what colour is it" question and the "what size" and even worse "how much is postage to the US" - people just dont seem to read beyond the title and a quick glance at the photo.

If they bothered to check my feedback they would see that I do indeed ship things to the US, Japan etc and if so the shipping rates must be in the text :der:

mhoc
29th April 2009, 11:06
I have one at the moment who bought on Sunday, an American buyer but from the name I think she is Japanese. She emailed me to say she had paid and wanted 1st class signed for postage :confused:

So I emailed back to say 1st,2nd and 1st signed for was for UK buyers and I gave her the rate for airmail small packets for US buyers. The odd thing was that she had already paid - usually they wait for me to send the invoice because you have to fill in the box for airmail small packet.

So I have refunded everything she has paid and sent a new invoice.

No response yet

dingaling
29th April 2009, 11:33
Cant you block overseas bidders? I seem to remember that from my last sale.

angelic
29th April 2009, 18:44
I have one at the moment who bought on Sunday, an American buyer but from the name I think she is Japanese. She emailed me to say she had paid and wanted 1st class signed for postage :confused:

So I emailed back to say 1st,2nd and 1st signed for was for UK buyers and I gave her the rate for airmail small packets for US buyers. The odd thing was that she had already paid - usually they wait for me to send the invoice because you have to fill in the box for airmail small packet.

So I have refunded everything she has paid and sent a new invoice.

No response yet

Did you check your buyer wasn't wanting her item posted to a UK address?

I know sometimes overseas buyers get confused with postal rates, but I have had a lot wanting items sent to UK addresses for various reasons.

Cant you block overseas bidders? I seem to remember that from my last sale.

You can block anyone from any country you chose not to sent to or can block anyone outside the UK - it is up to the seller to do so prior to uploading their auction as once it is up, it is too late.

mhoc
29th April 2009, 20:00
No reply yet, this is the message I had on Sunday evening

Hello
Thank you contact me about shipping cost.
Could you send to Royal Mail 1st Class Recorded GBP 2.80.

And we hadnt exchanged messages before. My ads clearly state 3.30 postage. Yes I wondered if she also had an English address but so far no reply.

angelic
29th April 2009, 21:36
No reply yet, this is the message I had on Sunday evening

Hello
Thank you contact me about shipping cost.
Could you send to Royal Mail 1st Class Recorded GBP 2.80.

And we hadnt exchanged messages before. My ads clearly state 3.30 postage. Yes I wondered if she also had an English address but so far no reply.

Her English does seem to back up your theory she is a Japanese lady as English doesn't seem to be her first language.

You can always run a check to see if she has bid or left feedback since Sunday to know if she might have been on a computer or not ;)
It is only a few days so I wouldn't worry until it gets top a week with no contact.