PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair - Car Seats

colman
2nd June 2009, 09:00
We have flown with Ryanair lots of times previously, but this year i noticed that you have to pay for car seats, we have never paid for them before to take them on board, has anyone travelled recently and paid or not paid...thanks everso x

Maverick
2nd June 2009, 09:22
They are really cracking down, your not even allowed a bag of duty free unless its your only hand luggage or will fit in to your permited hand luggage, so I suspect if they say you have to pay, you have to pay.
There was talk of obese passengers paying more, and paying for the Loo, but these have been discounted for now!

Dominic
2nd June 2009, 09:26
Am obviously being a bit tick here..... Why would you want to take a car seat on board? It would take a lot to get out of the car and be huuuugggeeeee!!! Or are we talking baby seats?

Maverick
2nd June 2009, 09:28
The ones for kiddies Dom!
Colman you can normally hire them from the car hire companies? May be better than lugging it about?

colman
2nd June 2009, 12:09
we only need our booster seats, they can 5 euros a day for each so effectively 10 a day for both, or 10 to take them with ryanair so its more cost effective to take them...

A friend of my OH's had an argument regarding his baggage recently as he had gone over the limit allowed, he argued his point, saying that an obese person standing in the queue weighed more than him and therefore he shouldn't have to pay for his excess luggage....he didn't have to pay any more!!! I think he had a point...

ayjayays
2nd June 2009, 15:34
just been on todays lunchtime news,ryanair lost so much money that they are going to charge for loos,possibly a pound a pee!!,they have to install new loos first though,will take a year or so

mum1964
2nd June 2009, 15:51
Dont see them actually charging for the toilet means people will be less inclined to buy a drink on board. Think they may have to do some very strong market research before they go down that line.

Dominic
2nd June 2009, 15:53
just been on todays lunchtime news,ryanair lost so much money that they are going to charge for loos,possibly a pound a pee!!,they have to install new loos first though,will take a year or so

Hmmmm.... surely this is going to put more people off and add to a rather 'peed off' atmosphere on board, and therefore reduce takings even more??!

princesskerry
2nd June 2009, 15:56
Dont see them actually charging for the toilet means people will be less inclined to buy a drink on board. Think they may have to do some very strong market research before they go down that line.

Thats fine, you will just find people holding the door open for the next person. Thats what I would do, I'm one of those people that give away parking tickets too if they have time left on them.

Grace & Favour
2nd June 2009, 16:32

This will likely lead to a cancellation of all their Inter-continental flights - - to be replaced by the new Incontinent flights

Dominic
2nd June 2009, 16:38
Thats fine, you will just find people holding the door open for the next person

Not sure this would work..... depends on the locking mechanism... if the 1 unlocks it and allows you lock it once then open then would holding it open allow the next person to lock it again?

holliemon
2nd June 2009, 16:49
it works in public lavs - on the odd occasion I have had to use them

Emmamed
2nd June 2009, 17:18
if planes are like resturants, i think thers a law which says you have to provide toilets when selling drink/food, i could be wrong though and misunderstand it

colman
3rd June 2009, 21:21
can't see that they would charge to pee, like someone said no one would drink anything or they will pee in a bottle!!!

Polo
3rd June 2009, 22:21
I'd pee on the seat.... and you'll find others will too, and what about people with medical conditions who have to go......

Ryanair, tsk tsk, puts me off flying with them again...

Dominic
4th June 2009, 10:03
I'd pee on the seat.... and you'll find others will too, and what about people with medical conditions who have to go......

Ryanair, tsk tsk, puts me off flying with them again...

yeeuuccchhh you wouldn't???? No tell me you wouldn't????? Yeuch!

Maverick
4th June 2009, 12:01
Not as bad as being charged for every pound your body is overweight! How embarassing would that be!

Emmamed
4th June 2009, 12:22
Not as bad as being charged for every pound your body is overweight! How embarassing would that be!

its discrimination, same as it is with my OH having to pay to be comfortable and have extra leg room seats with being 6ft4

lisa
4th June 2009, 12:29
We were on a Ryanair flight to Dublin last year with my 3 yr old DD, literally just as the seatbelt light came on for landing she said I need a wee, so I said to my husband who was in the aisle seat just take her it's only just gone on, it'll be at least 10-15mins before we land.

He got to the loo with DD only to be told by a very grumpy stewardess to sit down and she physically blocked him from going into the loo.

So he put his point across to the stewardess who was not budging, he came back to his seat with DD, I was fuming but sat there with DD for a while just saying to her hold it a bit longer it wont be long.

Some 15mins later we went into land he got metres from the ground and took off again, he made an announcement stating due to gusting winds he had not been able to land and would have to cirlce for the next available slot.

So my husband got up again with DD to again be told to sit down, by this time she was saying I cant hold it anymore, a couple behind us saw what was going on and had a large coffee cup handed it over and said is this any use to you? we greatfully accepted it a proceeded to help my DD to balance over the cup so she could at last wee.

I held the cup of wee until we had landed and upon exit from the plane handed the cup of wee to the grumpy stewardess, her expression was priceless.

Now I understand safety proceedures but the light had only just come on and she's 3 years old. What was more of a safety risk her sitting on a loo 10 mins before landing or her balancing on the seat over a coffee cup?

And on another flight Ryanair from Stansted to Newquay just before boarding the stewardess was checking our passports before letting us through the gate and I handed her mine and my daughters passport together, she said you should only be showing your own passport, I said but my daughters only 3, she said she should be showing the passport herself, I just gave her a look and carried on through the gate.

As we were walking down the tunnel to board another passenger came up behind me and said did I just hear that right that your daughter is supposed to look after her own passport, we both agreed how ridiculous it was and I commented to my husband on the way home "I wonder if she thought about what she had said and felt silly about it?" I dunno it appears from my experience that Ryanair staff have no common sense, no offence to other Ryanair employees I'm sure your not all so dim!!

Khufu
4th June 2009, 12:45
We just came back from Shannon to Manchester, where they wouldn't let me hold a magazine in my hand as i boarded the plane - it had to go in my hand luggage - how childish, and annoying for other passengers as I struggled to get it out again once boarded.

colman
17th June 2009, 09:30
we have had a slightly change of plan, we were originally going to take 4 suitcases onto the plane with us (small hand luggage sized ones) for our week away, but then we were thrown with the whole car seat thing...we have now changed it to check 1 bag into the hold (which will hold both booster seats) and all of our toiletries and any other heavy items, it means we will only be waiting for one bag the other side. Also works out cheaper to put them in a suit case than to put them on individually...

VeryTrying
17th June 2009, 11:01
I might be misremembering the disaster and upset of the last Ryanair flight I heard about but ......

If you are checking in luggage you also have to check in at the airport and NOT online. To check in at the airport costs money. The person checking in the bag cannot be the only person to check in at the airport, ALL your party have to pay to check in there.

So check ....... (that's a lot of "checks" in one paragraph)

colman
17th June 2009, 13:51
thanks VT will have a look...

VeryTrying
17th June 2009, 16:13
They seem to have changed the rules in May

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/your_say/article5881843.ece

Does this mean that you now have to pay 5 per person per leg just to check in online? That makes it 40 per trip for a family of four :eek: And don't forget to print out your boarding card, because if you need to get one at the airport it will cost you 40 each.

I didn't think that checking in was an optional extra, so why are they charging for it?

Emmamed
17th June 2009, 16:40
ryanairs weight limit for cases is also reduced to 15kg

colman
17th June 2009, 18:47
i think this will be the last time we fly with ryanair, they seem to be a real pain in the **** for travelling with now...easyjet is so much easier...