PDA

View Full Version : Compost Bin??

princess_poppet
26th March 2007, 16:44
Does anyone know where the cheapest place is to get a composter / compost bin??

Thank you in advance :clap2:

Maverick
26th March 2007, 16:47
Hi PP,
The council normally do a scheme that enables you to get them cheap, give them a call.
Other than that there is a website that my council uses, will look it up and let you know, they are delivered to your home.
B and Q are wuite cheap or you can make your own very easily, as a heap rarther than a bin but works just as well.

Grace & Favour
26th March 2007, 16:49
I must admit - I contacted our council, (they often have offers on such things) - however, they had none on offer at the time, so I bought three used plastic dustbins from them . .and simply cut the bottom off (with a jigsaw - but a hot knife would work too) and they work absolutely fabulously!

princess_poppet
26th March 2007, 17:02
thanks guys will phone the council if that fails will dry the bin option G&F

clockwatcher
26th March 2007, 17:04
We sometimes get offers on rainwater butts too, usually on a leaflet with compost bins.

princess_poppet
26th March 2007, 17:17
phoned the council and they gave me a tel no for Blackwall to phone! They sell me a compost convector 330 for 10 and a kitchen 7 ltr caddy for 2 with 1 discount if i order it online!

Thank you guys XX

Grace & Favour
26th March 2007, 17:29
It was nothing - just a load of rot really!

Maverick
26th March 2007, 17:51
yup thats the same company my council use, although we get charged more!
Well done PPXXX

tiger
26th March 2007, 19:41
There must be a lot of plastic containers around that just get scrapped. When we had the plant nursery we used to get given large tubs to use for water. They had come from an engineering works. The best water butts we ever had were from two brothers who had been given the job of disposing of them from a jam factory. They were very strong plastic and had lids. The brothers made a profit, we made a profit and our customers had very cheap rainwater butts.

princess_poppet
26th March 2007, 19:57
I want a water butt too any one know where to get a cheap or modified one of those too

Grace & Favour
26th March 2007, 19:58
Were they the big blue ones Tiger - about 4'6" high?

Grace & Favour
26th March 2007, 19:59
I want a water butt too any one know where to get a cheap or modified one of those too

I discovered the best place last year was (of all places) Wilco - - they beat the price of our Council supplies hands down . . (I think a 120 gallon one was about 19 ish)

Gizmos
26th March 2007, 20:03

Tesco had some good ones in last year that I saw reduced to 5 in the end - complete with lid/tap etc

princess_poppet
26th March 2007, 20:12
cheers G&F and Giz will take a look

Gizmos
26th March 2007, 20:13
oh and try your local WaterBoard as well

princess_poppet
26th March 2007, 20:15
ohhh might try that! I asked the council but they could only help with the composter and i got another recycling box out of em too

tiger
26th March 2007, 20:22
Were they the big blue ones Tiger - about 4'6" high?
The ones from the engineering works were, but the jam factory ones were grey.

M3chanical_animal
26th March 2007, 21:12
I cant wait to have a garden so I can start storing water and having a compost bin!

tiger
26th March 2007, 21:13
I cant wait to have a garden so I can start storing water and having a compost bin!
and grow some plants? :lol:

Gizmos
26th March 2007, 21:35
can you not get an allotment M3?? that would be a good way to start

M3chanical_animal
26th March 2007, 21:35
oh yeah and them too hehe - mainly I want a garden for the cats - they have been house cats all their lives so I know they could never roam free as they are not aware of dangers but we really want to fence our garden so that the cats can come in and out of the house as they please but cant get any further than our garden - that way they can enjoy the outside and I dont have to worry about them (I'm a terrible worrier about my cats - they why I have house cats - our family had lots of cats who were killed on the roads or coming home injured and it always really upset me)

M3chanical_animal
26th March 2007, 21:37
can you not get an allotment M3?? that would be a good way to start

I'm going to do some investigating on this one - cheers Giz! OH would be up for that as well.............

Gizmos
26th March 2007, 21:41
I'm going to do some investigating on this one - cheers Giz! OH would be up for that as well.............

the one we used to have was huge - about 4 times as big as usual (I thought twice as big but apparently I know nothing!). Always too much food for us and to be honest a standard plot would be fine and easy to manage especially if working full time etc

ohsobusy
26th March 2007, 21:42
I quite like the sound of those wormery ones. Has anyone had any experience of these?

Gizmos
25th April 2007, 19:34
http://www.recyclenow.com/home_composting/in_your_area/in_your_area.html

find out if there are offers on compost bins in your area - type in post code - looks like this in in partnership with the local councils

eg Cumbria
http://www.recyclenow.com/home_composting/in_your_area/scheme_authorities/cumbria.html

you also get a free 7ltr kitchen caddy

Beej
30th April 2007, 23:36
Do you get a free kitchen caddy, my postcode only came up with a discounted one at 2?

Just checked your link and you get it for free, I have to pay 2, not fair:mad: :mad: :mad:

Gizmos
1st May 2007, 00:02
sorry thats not my council but find someones it is who you know and get them toget stuff for free ....

molly316
1st May 2007, 00:08
excellent idea! I already have a compost bin but I like the caddy ... in my area, you have to buy a(nother) bin and get the caddy for 2 so clearly lots of combo's to be had.

When I explained this to my OH though, he said, oh you mean a bucket! men... lol

Im guessing a nappy pail (with lid) would work just as well, but take up more space with it being round?

tiger
7th May 2007, 14:22
Has anyone any ideas for keeping vermin out of compost bins?

My bin is one of those without a bottom. I only put in the recommended items i.e. no table scraps, just simple fruit and veg peelings, cardboard and garden waste, but yesterday I found a mouse running round in there. I'm not too worried about mice as my two cats are good hunters, but I'm really worried about rats. I know there are rats everywhere, but I don't really want to be facing one when I open the compost bin, nor do I want to be helping them to breed by providing food for them.
I've got some bins with lids, that I got my DH to drill holes in the bottom, to provide drainage but keep out unwanted visitors. I've tried using them for composting, but it stays too wet and takes a long time to rot. I think I'll go back to using them though for the time being.

Gizmos
7th May 2007, 15:46
could you encircle it with a ring of small hole wire mesh?? the type that is used for rabbit hutches etc? that way the air still gets in to circulate but the holes should be too small to let mammals in

tiger
8th May 2007, 09:00
Thanks Giz,
I'll have to see what we can get. I don't fancy rebuilding it yet whilst there might still be mice in there. I'll stop using it for the time being and let it all rot down before I move it - most probably I'll get DH to move it, just in case there's anything still there. :D

dune
8th May 2007, 10:06
Has anyone any ideas for keeping vermin out of compost bins?

My bin is one of those without a bottom. I only put in the recommended items i.e. no table scraps, just simple fruit and veg peelings, cardboard and garden waste, but yesterday I found a mouse running round in there. I'm not too worried about mice as my two cats are good hunters, but I'm really worried about rats. I know there are rats everywhere, but I don't really want to be facing one when I open the compost bin, nor do I want to be helping them to breed by providing food for them.
I've got some bins with lids, that I got my DH to drill holes in the bottom, to provide drainage but keep out unwanted visitors. I've tried using them for composting, but it stays too wet and takes a long time to rot. I think I'll go back to using them though for the time being.

Its unlikely that mice or rats would live in a compost bin. They'll probably just be looking for food in there. More likely to have mice and rats under a shed or hut.
Try putting you compost bin on flag stones. Or maybe plastic mesh. If you use wire mesh try and get the plastic coated stuff. Galvanised chicken wire will rot quickly in humid and hot conditions.
And don't forget you can put your paper shreddings in there especially between layers of grass cuttings
Another good thing to put in there is errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr body fluid containing amonia (wii) ahem :o maybe once a week

tiger
8th May 2007, 12:13
Its unlikely that mice or rats would live in a compost bin. They'll probably just be looking for food in there. More likely to have mice and rats under a shed or hut.
Try putting you compost bin on flag stones. Or maybe plastic mesh. If you use wire mesh try and get the plastic coated stuff. Galvanised chicken wire will rot quickly in humid and hot conditions.
And don't forget you can put your paper shreddings in there especially between layers of grass cuttings
Another good thing to put in there is errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr body fluid containing amonia (wii) ahem :o maybe once a week

Thanks duneindex. I think I'll pass on the body fluids - pardon the pun. :o

I think the mice are probably living in the polytunnel which is next to the compost bin. I had one of the cats in there after I saw the mouse and she seemed very interested in the corner where I have a lot of pots and trays. I've got some shade netting which we used to ventilate the poly tunnel and it seems to last forever and too tough to be chewed through. I've never found any damage to it, so I think I might put some of that under and also create a flagged area.

I'm sure you're right about rats and mice living under sheds. I just don't want to make life easier for them by allowing them access to more food.

colman
8th May 2007, 13:24
could you encircle it with a ring of small hole wire mesh?? the type that is used for rabbit hutches etc? that way the air still gets in to circulate but the holes should be too small to let mammals in

thats what we did with ours Giz coz one dayi went in there and this great big rat sat staring at me, turns out the neighbour had a rats nest in his greenhouse...Got some wire mesh which i put round the bottom and its been fine ever since..