PDA

View Full Version : Tesco gift cards on Ebay - why???

weimaranermerlin
2nd July 2009, 18:04
I have a Tesco gift card to the value of 30 which I was thinking on putting on Ebay. I was doing some research to find out how long I should make the listing, etc when I came across this listing:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170350260176&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&salenotsupported

Can anyone explain to my as to why someone is bidding so much above the value of the actual card??? :confused:

fluffybunny2
2nd July 2009, 18:05
because the buyer is probably going to claim non-receipt and claim their money back (and keep the giftcard)

weimaranermerlin
2nd July 2009, 18:17
that's reassuring! NOT! I will include guaranteed delivery.

Thanks.

Dominic
2nd July 2009, 18:26
Can you not simply spend it yourself? If a genuine buyer is allowing postage and a bit of profit to make it worth buying, and you are paying listing and final value fees, you'll be lucky to clear 20. Me I'd just go and spend it!!!!

bootsalebargains
2nd July 2009, 18:29
I buy gift cards & will pay face value as I am on benefits & if I sell something & transfer any money from paypal to my bank the benefits epople want to know where it's come frm and can affect the benefits. If I buy gift cards using paypal funds they are non the wiser

Freebird
2nd July 2009, 18:30
Or swap it with your nice mate who has loads of mocs for you......she'll even buy the coffees! :D

weimaranermerlin
2nd July 2009, 19:30
Can you not simply spend it yourself? If a genuine buyer is allowing postage and a bit of profit to make it worth buying, and you are paying listing and final value fees, you'll be lucky to clear 20. Me I'd just go and spend it!!!!

I'd love to but things are a bit tight ATM so I am trying to spend as little as possible (yes, I am pry one off the peeps who went broke on the MP points haul and spent for more than I could afford! Now I'm "paying" for it! Lesson learned!) and my Tesco bill these days rarely goes above 20 if that....

I buy gift cards & will pay face value as I am on benefits & if I sell something & transfer any money from paypal to my bank the benefits epople want to know where it's come frm and can affect the benefits. If I buy gift cards using paypal funds they are non the wiser

Ahh I see! very clever!

Or swap it with your nice mate who has loads of mocs for you......she'll even buy the coffees!

Since when are you spending that much at Tesco? :eek: I think I have to take you shopping to my stores! LOL
BTW,did you say Mocs???? And Coffee??? Chocolate?? Yummmm! Saturday???

Marmaduke
2nd July 2009, 20:20
I'd love to but things are a bit tight ATM so I am trying to spend as little as possible (yes, I am pry one off the peeps who went broke on the MP points haul and spent for more than I could afford! Now I'm "paying" for it! Lesson learned!) and my Tesco bill these days rarely goes above 20 if that....

The gift card doesn't need to be spent all at one time does it? I thought they just deducted your total from it and then you could use the remaining amount the next time you shopped there.

VeryTrying
2nd July 2009, 20:20

Thanks for that :) I've looked at the auctions and wondered why anybody would pay nearly fully value - now it makes sense.

zoebusher
2nd July 2009, 20:24
There is also another reason, if someone is under investigation by ebay I think they cannot draw funds out of their paypal account, but they can still buy things, this is a way of laundering out the money.

happy shopper jan
2nd July 2009, 20:54
Use gift cards to pay for petrol if you have a car as its something you would have to pay for anyway. I always do and they always take them without any problem.

weimaranermerlin
2nd July 2009, 21:06
Use gift cards to pay for petrol if you have a car as its something you would have to pay for anyway. I always do and they always take them without any problem.

Now I did NOT think of that! I think you just solved my prob! Thanx! :)

Freebird
2nd July 2009, 22:06
Darn....there go my hopes of shifting these mocs...lol. Sat good.....same place as last time? :D

angelic
3rd July 2009, 08:27
There is also another reason, if someone is under investigation by ebay I think they cannot draw funds out of their paypal account, but they can still buy things, this is a way of laundering out the money.

If a seller is under investigation/in a dispute, their PayPal account is frozen.

They can't use any money in the balance to buy, can't receive any money from any sales and can't withdraw to their bank either.

navara
3rd July 2009, 08:34

With the risk of being shot down in flames is that not benefit fraud???????

mummum123
3rd July 2009, 09:02
it sounds like benefit fraud to me although think if I was on benefits I would look to try and make a bit on the side too as the benefits people are expected to live on are daft, and I am one of the most honest people I know.

Not that i am condoning benefit fraud just saying I can see why people feel the need to make a bit extra

WHITEGUINEAPIG
9th July 2009, 13:51
i think that we all do what we can to get by

navara
9th July 2009, 14:01
i think that we all do what we can to get by

True but benefit fraud shouldn't be one

Made in Devon
9th July 2009, 14:10
I think fraud is too strong a word...... Hubby and I spent about 18 months on benefits, after redundancy when the children were young. There were a few occasions when money was so tight, near Xmas and birthdays that we sorted out old toys, books, clothes etc and had a few car boot sales to raise some extra cash. Is there anything wrong in that? Ebay didn't exist then, but surely it is the same thing ?

navara
9th July 2009, 14:26
I think fraud is too strong a word...... Hubby and I spent about 18 months on benefits, after redundancy when the children were young. There were a few occasions when money was so tight, near Xmas and birthdays that we sorted out old toys, books, clothes etc and had a few car boot sales to raise some extra cash. Is there anything wrong in that? Ebay didn't exist then, but surely it is the same thing ?

If it's something that was originally bought for use by yourself then sold on probably not but if you buy and then sell for a profit yes.If you are using a paypal account to hide the transactions then the answer again must be yes.In my original post I did say "at the risk of being shot down in flames"

bootsalebargains
10th July 2009, 07:28
With the risk of being shot down in flames is that not benefit fraud???????

You are right that it can be classed as benefit fraud if you buy to make a profit. I sell my little girls clothes that are too small and buy more which was ok as I didn't make enough for it to affect my benefit but I can see that some would do it as a business.

bootsalebargains
10th July 2009, 07:32

I've got told if you do more than 6 boot sales in 1 year you have to declare it as it is classed as income. I was shocked at this, luckily I only do the 1

mhoc
10th July 2009, 07:36
I was watching an ebay sale yesterday for a 10 halford gift card and it went for just over 7 - wish Id' had a go at that, a Halfords card would have been very useful.

Dominic
10th July 2009, 10:32
Going back to earlier debate re benefit 'fraud' etc...

Surely it all comes down to 'where is your line'....

:behindsofa:

WHITEGUINEAPIG
10th July 2009, 14:19
I was watching an ebay sale yesterday for a 10 halford gift card and it went for just over 7 - wish Id' had a go at that, a Halfords card would have been very useful.

i think you can get halfords vouchers on cokezone (get wombling:))