PDA

View Full Version : Phishing Emails

BritBrat
19th July 2009, 09:54
I have been getting quite a few Ebay Phishing Emails recently so beware you don't click any links in one.

Do you mean phishing?

I did yes, thanks.

Floosy
19th July 2009, 09:56
Do you mean phishing?

Dominic
19th July 2009, 09:58
Sorry being nit picking but its 'phishing'

I must admit I am very cagey re bank and ebay emails, tend to delete them regardless, but often get an Argos one with links in and don't think twice! However I guess the point is they want you to login so no point in sending an Argos one with a link elsewhere I suppose?

Just musing and thinking aloud, lol.

DaisyChain
19th July 2009, 10:02
PayPal ones for me saying I've been suspended !

Also Amazon , also saying my seller acc is suspended !

Mostly full of typos and poor wording so easy to spot but not all

Floosy
19th July 2009, 10:04
I usually get them for every single bank going, bar the one im with lmao...

Dominic
19th July 2009, 10:05
I love the ones purporting to be from Abbey, Barclays, Halifax etc urging me to log in..... a bit difficult if you haven't actually got an account with them!!!

**Oi Floos stop stealing my lines!!!!!!!!!!**

points reaper
yes i have had quite a few saying they are from ebay about a new confirmation you have to click.
please remember to go into your ebay account to see if you have genuine emails from ebay

DaisyChain
I usually get them for every single bank going, bar the one im with lmao...

Ditto :lol: ......... and usually one after the other

icho
19th July 2009, 10:06
Usually the phishing paypal ones i have had start with Dear Member etc where genuine ones address me by name.

Floosy
19th July 2009, 10:07
Britbrat Im going to have to ask...

Would you like some bait and hooks?:p

DaisyChain
19th July 2009, 10:09
Britbrat Im going to have to ask...

Would you like some bait and hooks?:p

Floosy, you should know never to take the 'bait' with these :D

BritBrat
19th July 2009, 10:35
If you have your own domain name Email and even if you don't with some others you can put anything before the "@" sign.

Why do I tell you that?

Well say you give your bank "NatWest" your email address it would be NatWest@mydomainname.co.uk then all you have to do is look at the Email address it was sent to and if not yours you know it is spam/phishing.

Get the idea, I have been doing this for years with a Freeserve account.

The other advantage is you can filter them out into boxes or even delete them from the server without ever downloading them or seeing them.

samwsmith1
19th July 2009, 17:23
If you have your own domain name Email and even if you don't with some others you can put anything before the "@" sign.

Why do I tell you that?

Well say you give your bank "NatWest" your email address it would be NatWest@mydomainname.co.uk then all you have to do is look at the Email address it was sent to and if not yours you know it is spam/phishing.

Get the idea, I have been doing this for years with a Freeserve account.

The other advantage is you can filter them out into boxes or even delete them from the server without ever downloading them or seeing them.
You can do this with gmail/google mail as well, you just add a + after your normal email.
E.g. your normal email is yourname@googlemail.com but you can do yourname+anythingyoulike@googlemail.com

I get some spoofs from paypal and ebay, for paypal forward it to spoof@paypal.com and for ebay forward to spoof@ebay.com. Also get emails from all banks but the bank i'm with, even had them from the bank of america before.

andylaine
19th July 2009, 17:31
Usually the phishing paypal ones i have had start with Dear Member etc where genuine ones address me by name.

just be a bit careful with the ones addresssed to you by name aswell though. a while ago I had one allegedly from paypal addressed to my full name inviting me to click on a link to accept a payment. I didnt click on the link but went into paypal to see if there was a pending payment and there wasnt. reported it to paypal and they replied a couple of days later to say it was a phishing email and they had taken appropriate action.

BritBrat
19th July 2009, 21:23
You can do this with gmail/google mail as well, you just add a + after your normal email.
E.g. your normal email is yourname@googlemail.com but you can do yourname+anythingyoulike@googlemail.com

I get some spoofs from paypal and ebay, for paypal forward it to spoof@paypal.com and for ebay forward to spoof@ebay.com. Also get emails from all banks but the bank i'm with, even had them from the bank of america before.

I never knew that, big thanks.

Learning something new is always a good thing.

If you would like a Gmail account (yourname@gmail.com) I can still make them even though they are banned here.

But most good names will be gone.

Irishsmurfy
19th July 2009, 21:36
I never knew that, big thanks.

Learning something new is always a good thing.

If you would like a Gmail account (yourname@gmail.com) I can still make them even though they are banned here.But most good names will be gone.

Gmail a/cs are banned here?? Sorry BritBrat but what do you mean lol?? I know I'm a bit dizzy - I always thought googlemail and gmail was the same thing :o

BritBrat
19th July 2009, 21:44
Gmail a/cs are banned here?? Sorry BritBrat but what do you mean lol?? I know I'm a bit dizzy - I always thought googlemail and gmail was the same thing :o

Try and make a @gmail.com account.

You won't be able to but I can.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2007/01/8741.ars

samwsmith1
20th July 2009, 02:45
Try and make a @gmail.com account.

You won't be able to but I can.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2007/01/8741.ars
How? or is your account registered to the us?

Just wondered, as I know if you have an @googlemail.com you can also use @gmail.com all goes into the same inbox, And vice versa.

BritBrat
20th July 2009, 09:00
How? or is your account registered to the us?

Just wondered, as I know if you have an @googlemail.com you can also use @gmail.com all goes into the same inbox, And vice versa.

I have invites from before it was banned on a gmail.com account so I use a proxy and send myself an invite.

Then I make the account.

Yes registered to the US I think.

penfold
20th July 2009, 10:56
I received a phising mail this morning, supposedly from HMRC about a tax refund :rolleyes:

Yeah, and pigs might fly :bounce:

BritBrat
20th July 2009, 17:11
Some must get caught or they would not keep doing it.

A little reminder now and then does no harm.