PDA

View Full Version : can a bidder buy it now after bidding?

muppet11
28th July 2009, 12:09
hi, sorry for the silly question but i have had a question from my bidder:-

i have an item that had a buy it now on it but my bidder says when he put a bid on he lost the chance to buy it now but he wants to!

can i change it?

MrsSavvy
28th July 2009, 12:11
hi, sorry for the silly question but i have had a question from my bidder:-

i have an item that had a buy it now on it but my bidder says when he put a bid on he lost the chance to buy it now but he wants to!

can i change it?

I think if you cancelled his bid it should reinstate buy-it-now and then he would have that option again.

muppet11
28th July 2009, 12:20
thank you. how do i cancel a bid?

MrsSavvy
28th July 2009, 12:23
thank you. how do i cancel a bid?

I'm sorry I can't help it's been a long time since I've sold on ebay and think I only did it once. Hopefully someone else can help. It will be in 'my ebay' somewhere sorry not much help I know.

angelic
28th July 2009, 12:25
I think you will need to end the listing and re-list as I don't think BIN will re-instate, happy to be corrected if wrong.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/questions/endlist-now.html

Worth checking prices for same/similar items before re-listing in case your buyer has maybe realised your BIN price was a bargain ;)

muppet11
28th July 2009, 12:40
i never realised that the buy-it-now disappears when a bid is made!

MrsSavvy
28th July 2009, 12:42
The buy it now will stay until reserve is met if you have a reserve. I always thought paying to have a reserve was a rip off though. May as well start the bidding at the reserve price. Buy it now has always disappeared after first bid otherwise. I started using ebay in 2001 so since then anyway.

muppet11
28th July 2009, 12:53
i didnt have a reserve price on it!

angelic
28th July 2009, 13:54
i didnt have a reserve price on it!

First bid will knock BIN price away regardless of reserve price or no reserve price.

If say you listed item at 4.99 start price and BIN price of 9.99. If a bidder places a bid of 4.99 or above, the BIN option disappears immediately.
In such a case, you could well end up with an end price over 9.99 as it would then become a straightforward auction.

muppet11
28th July 2009, 16:48
oh i see, i thought that even if you had one person making the lowest bid that the BIN would still be there for others to have the chance!

oh well, the bidder has not got back to me yet and i have 5 watchers so i think i will let it run!

thanks for all the advice xx

angelic
28th July 2009, 20:44
oh i see, i thought that even if you had one person making the lowest bid that the BIN would still be there for others to have the chance!

oh well, the bidder has not got back to me yet and i have 5 watchers so i think i will let it run!

thanks for all the advice xx

Glad you have decided to let your auction run, if your buyer was that interested he/she would have got straight back to you.

I hope your item does well for you :)

muppet11
28th July 2009, 23:09
the bidder withdrew his bid then bought the item at BIN....

madline
28th July 2009, 23:29
i sometimes put a first bid on if i want something and it has a very high b-i-n price but a low start price. that way it saves it selling before the auction ends, and i can put a higher bid in later.

muppet11
29th July 2009, 10:26
i dont think it is very fair that once a bid has been made the BIN is removed, whats the point of paying to put it on there!

Tuckerpoo
29th July 2009, 10:32
i dont think it is very fair that once a bid has been made the BIN is removed, whats the point of paying to put it on there!

It is pointless unless you put it on at a very fair price. If you put a reserve on the item the BIN stays until the reserve price is met.

TonyM69triumph
29th July 2009, 20:47
It is pointless unless you put it on at a very fair price. If you put a reserve on the item the BIN stays until the reserve price is met.

Some people also do it to try and increase the bidding, eg a car starting at 99p, then buy it now at 3k. If someone is at 2.3k, the seller is hoping they think "well its up for sale at 3k" Games:hat: