PDA

View Full Version : Fudge disaster!! Recipe ideas needed please

tod64
25th August 2009, 14:18
Made some vanilla fudge yesterday after much nagging from DD2. Knew that temperature was important but all did not go well as thermometer seemed a bit erratic (it is quite old!) so, the fudge has not set!

We now have a large sticky mass of very, very soft fudge that tastes yummy but can only be eaten with a spoon!

Thought it may be a good idea to try and use some of it to make a cake or something so that it is easier to use up.

Does anyone have a recipe that this would be good to use with?

Thank you.

frexy
25th August 2009, 14:20
Made some vanilla fudge yesterday after much nagging from DD2. Knew that temperature was important but all did not go well as thermometer seemed a bit erratic (it is quite old!) so, the fudge has not set!

We now have a large sticky mass of very, very soft fudge that tastes yummy but can only be eaten with a spoon!

Thought it may be a good idea to try and use some of it to make a cake or something so that it is easier to use up.

Thank you.

You could resoften it, mix in some icing sugar and use it as frosting on a cake.

Zaul
25th August 2009, 14:22
How about stirring a little through a tub of Vanilla Ice Cream??

microjan
25th August 2009, 14:26
i have never used a thermonmeter always used the drop a little in cold water method,
you could try re boiling again

pookienoodle
25th August 2009, 14:30
turn it into millionare shortbread maybe?
make shortbread in a tray and bake but pour this on ten minutes before its finished cooking,cool then spread with melted chocolate and cool again.
It may work?
I would be tempted to re boil it .

tod64
25th August 2009, 14:39
Good ideas, thanks. Sounds like an afternoon of experimenting is coming up.

:):):)

mhoc
25th August 2009, 14:39

Thank you.

Just some very nice vanilla ice cream and spoon it over the top. You should have in the freezer either Ben and Jerrys (use the 1 mailing MOCS) or some Carte Dor (on offer in various stores and use your 30p MOCs from the GFS) or even HD that we dont talk about anymore :D

Addy
25th August 2009, 15:11
Fudge is easy to get wrong, after many attempts I can just about tell when it's ready, it takes a heckofalot more boiling than you'd think. If you do reboil it, keep an eye on it as it'll be ready quite quickly. I've overdone it that way sometimes and then it goes too hard and isn't so nice.

mhoc
25th August 2009, 16:35
It all sounds like such hard work, why not just buy a bag in Tesco?

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Shopping/FindProducts.aspx?Query=%20vanilla%20fudge&SortBy=3

Hector
25th August 2009, 17:59
i have never used a thermonmeter always used the drop a little in cold water method,
you could try re boiling again

I second that

kaydee
26th August 2009, 18:15
Why we are on the subject of Fudge has anyone made liquorice fudge. Cant seem to find the receipe anywhere. Thanks

Highland_Lass
26th August 2009, 18:30
How did it turn out? What did you do with it? I'd have done as a couple of others have said reboil it. I always use the cup of cold water method - of course you need to test it dozens of times til it's right (only joking but I do cos I love it when it's just turning sticky).