PDA

View Full Version : What are my loyality points worth in terms of airline miles?

lrb76
27th August 2009, 23:50
Sorry to start another thread but I was hoping someone could tell me what all my points are worth? If you've seen my recent post I'm hoping to send DH to Thailand for his firends wedding next year.

I know little about airline schemes and have various Hotel programmes with small balances. I'm just trying to work out the best way to use them as I know some shemes let you switch between miles and points. I could do with an experts advice. Raffles/Navara please help :)

Ok here's what I have so far:

900 converted Tescodeals with an average of 600 more a month so a potential 2k+ by July 2010. Would prefer not to use these unless I have to though as I was saving them up for a romantic break together, not for DH to ****** off to Thailand on the lash using my hard earned Clubcard points that he doesnt even appreciate. Remind me why i'm trying to plan this again??!

40000 ICH priority club points (watching points breaks closely for a 5000 a night room in Thailand!)

approx 9000 bmi miles with the potential for an additional 24000 if I open a credit card
10000 Hilton points on one card
3000+ on another
3000+ Marriott rewards on my card
3000+ Marriott on DH's
3000+ Marriott brothers card

Not sure on the rules re merging these so I will try and find out.

Bare minimum in airmiles. So few I don't even know how many and no BA
miles.

500 virgin miles (I dont even know where these came from - I can only assume they were an incentive offer for joining)

DH is in uk sales now so doesn't travel much at all flight wise. Does have the odd hotel stay 3 or 4 times a year although these are sometimes booked by the company so they nab the points. I make sure he puts as much incidental spending on his card though as possible.

Average 2.5k spend per month via which ever credit card suits my my plans, between now and July 2010. Approx 25k over 10 months.

Can anyone help??

Dominic
28th August 2009, 07:34
Ok here's what I have so far:

900 converted Tescodeals with an average of 600 more a month so a potential 2k+ by July 2010.

There's say 10 months before July 2010, 600 x 10 = 6000 added to your 900 = 6900, not 2K?

Did you mean per quarter (not per month?)

I have to confess this airmiles thing baffles me totally. I think its partly because it doesn't seem to bear any relation to the actual miles so it just confuses me from the off that it might be say (this is made up!) 50,000 miles to get to America, but its not that far to America so straight away my head is fighting the conflicting data! If it was a logical calculation then I might be more able to compute.

I know loads of people have said it baffles them so it does seem to me to be unneccesarily complex.

lrb76
28th August 2009, 11:58
Yes sorry Dom, I did mean qtr not month. I've actually managed to achieve double that target in the past two qtrs thanks to the mobile offer and extra points but I was under estimating just to be safe.

That's exactly how I feel about airmiles. It's just under 6000 miles from London to Bangkok so the whole 37500 each way thing just confuses me. Especially as it's one amount with one carrier and another conversion with another. Then you've got all those zones?!

I confess geography was not my speciality at school so that doesn't help i'm sure. I was definately more of a history bod!

There's say 10 months before July 2010, 600 x 10 = 6000 added to your 900 = 6900, not 2K?

Did you mean per quarter (not per month?)

I have to confess this airmiles thing baffles me totally. I think its partly because it doesn't seem to bear any relation to the actual miles so it just confuses me from the off that it might be say (this is made up!) 50,000 miles to get to America, but its not that far to America so straight away my head is fighting the conflicting data! If it was a logical calculation then I might be more able to compute.

I know loads of people have said it baffles them so it does seem to me to be unneccesarily complex.

Gizmos
28th August 2009, 12:18
posted a link on toher thread for marriot transfer

DJES50
2nd November 2009, 01:38
Sorry to reactivate a (slightly) old thread, but it is still on page 1:

The key thing to remember when it comes to airline miles is that for spending the 'mile' bit is irrelevant.

The only connection to real miles of distance is on the earning side, when earning miles from flying.

e.g. Flying 'full fare' on an 1000 mile abc flight might earn you 1000 'abc miles', however flying discount economy might only earn you 25% of that (250 abc miles) but flying business might earn you 200% of that (i.e. 2000 'abc miles'), etc, etc. But there are other factors too.

So anyway, for SPENDING, never associate them with distance at all (think of that being the earning side).

They are all separate currencies from each other.