PDA

View Full Version : crumble recipe

kerryo
1st September 2009, 15:14
just come back from my sil and have loads off cooking apples, havent made crumble myself for ages (usually use the pack mix) does anyone have a quick and simple recipe

cheers

Deedee
1st September 2009, 15:23
http://www.cookuk.co.uk/cake/apple-crumble-recipe.htm

***Covers eyes and chants "I didn't see that, I didn't see that" Weight loss thread -- I swear I didn't see that!

S.K.
1st September 2009, 15:26
OMG! Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! *drool* :bounce:

That homemade crumble looks lush! Mmm, hot Apple Crumble & cream is my absolute fave dessert! Hungry now :pout:

kerryo
1st September 2009, 15:37
think ive enough to make enough crumble for everyone :)

Hector
1st September 2009, 16:23
Why not add some blackberries to the apples, plenty around in the hedgerows at the moment.

snailsontour
1st September 2009, 19:42
yummmmm that crumble sure does look good - although lazy old me goes for Tesco luxury crumble mix - and at 35p is a bargain!

*debbie*
1st September 2009, 19:48
Anyone know what I do wrong with my crumbles - the topping always go so sold, even the dog has to work at chewing it!! I don't compact it down, so I dunno....:(!

jejawill
1st September 2009, 20:02
Buy the ready made crumble mix from Tescos and add some sugar on top,we had it y-day & it was yum.Its in the aisle where all the cake mixes are

Second Born
1st September 2009, 20:33
You can always stew some of your cooking apples and freeze them to make crumbles later in the winter. I peel, core and slice the apples and then cook them with just enough water to stop them sticking to the pan. No exact times - usually just heat them up until the water boils and then turn off the heat and leave the lid on the pan until cold.

I generally freeze 1lb batches and 2lb batches, which gives a choice of a small or large crumble or the option to mix 1lb of apples with 1lb of blackberries or other fruit.

Just thaw the fruit out when you want to make crumble.

webboes
1st September 2009, 21:05
You could also make apple sauce and freeze it for Christmas. Peel, core and slice apples. I then stew the apples with sugar to taste and freeze in ice cube trays. Once frozen, tip out into freezer bags and store in the freezer, removing the required cubes as and when needed.

HTH
Webboes
:)

*debbie*
1st September 2009, 22:24
I freeze my apples (well, my Mum's really!) on open trays. I peel core and quarter them, dropping them into some cold water and lemon juice while I do the rest of them - there are usually loads - and then put them (minus water!) onto baking trays and freeze them overnight. In the morning just put them into bags and store them in the freezer.

We tried stewing them but ended up with too mushy apples to make good pies, and by trial and error have found this works well. I usually take them out of the freezer when I begin making the pastry, so they are well on the way to being defrosted before the pie goes in the oven.

Enjoy your pies, crumbles, stews, sauses, cakes etc, etc!

kerryo
1st September 2009, 23:30
had some yummy crumble for my pudding tonight, some left if anyone wants any, lol

cheers all, will freeze the rest tomorrow:)

holliemon
2nd September 2009, 11:55
Why not add some blackberries to the apples, plenty around in the hedgerows at the moment.

that sounded a good idea when I saw them walking the dog to-day so I have collected lots. Not really a good idea in fitflops and the only container I had was a clean dog bag.

NOW do I wash them and put them straight in with the apples to cook or do the blackberries need less cooking.

Also does anyone know how much diabetic sugar to use and I usually guess and sometimes it works out and others not so good.

any help please

kenziekoo
2nd September 2009, 12:22
always use brown sugar, and pear crumble is by far the best i have ever tasted!!!!

Second Born
2nd September 2009, 14:50
that sounded a good idea when I saw them walking the dog to-day so I have collected lots. Not really a good idea in fitflops and the only container I had was a clean dog bag.

NOW do I wash them and put them straight in with the apples to cook or do the blackberries need less cooking.

Also does anyone know how much diabetic sugar to use and I usually guess and sometimes it works out and others not so good.

any help please

I always use slightly stewed apples (see my previous post) so they are already a little soft (not mushy!). I just chuck the blackberries and stewed apple in together, sweeten with a little sugar, add the crumble topping and bake.

Not sure how much diabetic sugar you would use, but I'll try and hook out my crumble recipe later and let you know how much regular sugar I use.

holliemon
2nd September 2009, 15:00
Thanks I have a receipe for normal sugar crumble but diabetic sugar is so light - i will just guess as normal.

Second Born
2nd September 2009, 21:10
Apple and Blackberry Crumble

Fruit filling:
450g lightly stewed apple slices (just beginning to go a little soft, not mushy!)
450g blackberries
50-75g sugar, depending on your tastes ( I use 50g)

Crumble topping:
150g plain flour
100g butter
75g light brown sugar
2tbs water

Preheat the oven to 200C or gas mark 6.

Put the fruit in a large shallow baking dish - a casserole dish is perfect, but it must be shallow so that the crumble topping will be spread fairly thinly over the top.

Sprinkle over your 50-75g of sugar.

Whiz the flour and butter in a food processor for a few seconds until it looks like breadcrumbs. If you don’t have a food processor, you can rub the butter into the flour with your finger tips instead.

Tip the flour and butter mixture out into a mixing bowl and stir in the brown sugar with a fork.

Sprinkle the crumb mixture with 2tbs of water and stir through lightly with the fork.

Some of the mixture will stick together to make larger crumbs. That’s fine. Don’t over mix it. An uneven mix gives a nicer crumble.

Scatter the crumb mixture loosely over the fruit. Do not be tempted to pack it down. It’s quite nice for a little of the fruit juice to seep through the crumble mixture during cooking.

Bake for about 35 minutes. The top should be crisp and golden with perhaps some juices bubbling up through the crumble topping.

This recipe works equally well with 900g of plums (you will need to stone them after weighing). Or experiment with other fruits of your choice.

holliemon
2nd September 2009, 22:03
God I'm thick when it comes to cooking - your receipe says I do nothing with blackberries but them with the softened apples and put the crumble on top - is that right

kerryo
2nd September 2009, 22:44
God I'm thick when it comes to cooking - your receipe says I do nothing with blackberries but them with the softened apples and put the crumble on top - is that right

thats fine, :)

*debbie*
3rd September 2009, 08:34
Holliemon - whenever I am cooking for my friend who uses sweetener rather than sugar I weigh out the suggested amount of sugar, than work out how many tablespoons it is. I then put that back in the packet and spoon out the same amount of sweetener. It has worked so far!

Second Born
3rd September 2009, 22:24

That's right. All you have to do is rinse the blackberries just before you want to use them (unless you don't mind finding little visitors in your crumble). Then chuck them in on top of the apples, add the sugar and chuck the crumble topping over that. Simples.

holliemon
4th September 2009, 00:35
Wont the little visitors die when you cook em

msjg
4th September 2009, 09:14
I sometimes put oats in the crumble topping.

Hibiscus
4th September 2009, 09:20
Wont the little visitors die when you cook em

yes, but who wants 'meat' in their crumble :eek: :D

holliemon
4th September 2009, 09:42
:DThey may be tasty:D

NitWit
4th September 2009, 09:53
Don't suppose anyone has a tried and tested healthy version?

kerryo
4th September 2009, 09:56
Don't suppose anyone has a tried and tested healthy version?

i often use splenda sugar in the apples and it tastes fine to me:)

NitWit
4th September 2009, 14:50
i often use splenda sugar in the apples and it tastes fine to me:)

Yeah we do the same with Half Spoon. I was just wondering if anyone had an oatie one of had done something simular with marg etc?

msjg
4th September 2009, 15:03
I never ever put sugar in the apples, the topping is sweet enough.

holliemon
4th September 2009, 15:34
My crumble is sat on top of the oven waiting to be cooked

Hibiscus
4th September 2009, 17:33
My crumble is sat on top of the oven waiting to be cooked

Sans meat I hope! :D

Second Born
4th September 2009, 21:35
Yeah we do the same with Half Spoon. I was just wondering if anyone had an oatie one of had done something simular with marg etc?

Okay, here's an oat crumble, but I won't try to claim it's healthy!

Blackberry Oat Crumble

Filling:
2lb blackberries
4oz caster sugar
2tsp cinnamon
2tbsp lemon juice

Topping:
4oz olive spread (or sunflower margarine if you donít have a stash of olive spread)
5oz light brown sugar
4oz plain flour
8oz oats
3oz hazelnuts, walnuts or almonds finely chopped

Preheat the oven to 200C or 400F.

For the filling, put the blackberries in a bowl, sprinkle with the caster sugar and mix well.

Leave for 10 minutes to let the sugar draw out the juices, then gently mix in the cinnamon and lemon juice.

Put the fruit mixture in a shallow ovenproof dish.

For the topping, melt the olive spread in a large saucepan, add the sugar and stir over a low heat until well combined.

Stir in the flour, then add the oats.

Stir in the finely chopped nuts.

Spread the topping mixture evenly over the blackberries and press down lightly.

Bake for 15-20 minutes until the topping is light gold in colour.

Iíve only ever made this with blackberries, but I imagine it would work just fine for half apples and half blackberries. If you try this, Iíd definitely use lightly stewed apples in stead of raw ones because of the short cooking time, which could leave raw apples a bit hard.

Gizmos
18th September 2009, 13:09
just seen this on bbc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/appleandblackberrycr_91197.shtml