PDA

View Full Version : does anything keep spiders away?

muppet11
6th September 2009, 09:42
we have just been given a wooden playhouse for our daughter and everytime she sees a spider she comes running out!

now i know marigolds keep certain flys away from plants because of the smell and wondered if anything put spiders off?

hydro
6th September 2009, 09:48
Ther only thing I know is flies and I'd rather the spiders!!!

vikki
6th September 2009, 09:51
I wish there was something good - I'm a complete scaredy cat so will be watching this thread with interest :rolleyes:

frexy
6th September 2009, 09:57
we have just been given a wooden playhouse for our daughter and everytime she sees a spider she comes running out!

now i know marigolds keep certain flys away from plants because of the smell and wondered if anything put spiders off?

Somewhere in my deepest thopughts Horsechestnuts springs to mind.

Anyway not hard to try,putting them on windowsills was the idea but you could thread them on string and hang them in your playhouse,great fun for your daughter to help with.
Hope it works but at least its the right time of year to try.

MissMolly
6th September 2009, 11:27
I was gonna suggest horsechesnuts too (Conkers) :D

As well as threading them onto a string - put some in each corner?

Good luck
x

Gizmos
6th September 2009, 11:29
lemon pledge - apparently spiders dont like lemon

charlie
6th September 2009, 11:39
I buy spider stop spray from betterware....works a treat, qiute a strong smell that they dont like..just googled it and amazon sell it too

Gizmos
6th September 2009, 11:41
whts the ingredients in it charlie?

charlie
6th September 2009, 11:42
hang on will have a look

charlie
6th September 2009, 11:43
theres no list of ingredients on the label?? thats odd...here is the link to amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=spider+stop&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=2390613176&ref=pd_sl_388g1yssjz_b

dune
6th September 2009, 11:58
Can you borrow an old lady?

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly.
I dunno why she swallowed that fly,
Perhaps she'll die.

There was an old lady who swallowed a spider,
That wiggled and wiggled and tickled inside her.
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly.
But I dunno why she swallowed that fly -
Perhaps she'll die.

There was an old lady who swallowed a bird;
How absurd, to swallow a bird!
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider
But I dunno why she swallowed that fly -
Perhaps she'll die

There was an old lady who swallowed a cat.
Imagine that, she swallowed a cat.
She swallowed the cat to catch the bird ...
But I dunno why she swallowed that fly
Perhaps she'll die

There was an old lady who swallowed a dog.
What a hog! To swallow a dog!
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat...
Perhaps she'll die.

There was an old lady who swallowed a goat.
Just opened her throat and swallowed a goat!
She swallowed the goat to catch the dog ...
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat.
Perhaps she'll die.

There was an old lady who swallowed a cow.
I don't know how she swallowed a cow!
She swallowed the cow to catch the goat...
She swallowed the goat to catch the dog...
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat...
Perhaps she'll die.

There was an old lady who swallowed a horse -
She's dead, of course.

rainbowhope
6th September 2009, 12:04
..must be a common problem--when my girl was 2--got her a big plastic outdoor house and it was constantly full of spiders...so much so-- I had to just get rid of it.

Better than a roach motel I guess.

Dolly Daydream
6th September 2009, 12:29
There is also a spray we got from the vets for fleas and other creatures, we sprayed it around the whole house and we were spider free for about a year

DIVA1977
6th September 2009, 12:36
theres no list of ingredients on the label?? thats odd...here is the link to amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=spider+stop&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=2390613176&ref=pd_sl_388g1yssjz_b

scroll down says " contains natural horse chestnut extract"

kirsty's mam
6th September 2009, 12:54
Aye, I would try the conker method!

Jules_2005
6th September 2009, 13:23
I use conkers... it works

princesskerry
6th September 2009, 13:42
We have our plastic house on the patio outside and dont really have this problem so maybe thats the answer. We had a large black furry body house spider in the bathroom the other day and I was so scared so I know how you guys feel.

pookienoodle
6th September 2009, 13:43
I like spiders but O.H doesn't,has anyone else notice we have really large spiders this summer?
a couple of times O.H has shouted me to "relocate" one and it has shocked me how large it is.

FastlaneJo
6th September 2009, 13:44
Just whole conkers? Do you have to cut them in half or anything?

TIA

frexy
6th September 2009, 13:51

TIA

A bit dfificult to cut in half but try piercing them with a skewer then hang them up, you should get more flavour coming thro that way.
My grandkids had a bucketful last year so then would just put bowls of them wherever needed

Jules_2005
6th September 2009, 14:26
I use them as decoration in bowls or piles around the house

j9mcl
6th September 2009, 15:44
We get ones like this in the house all the time

Janine

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e79/j9mcl/100_0411.jpg

hotpot4
6th September 2009, 16:11
j9mcl ew ew ew - not nice :(

I was reading in my bed the other night when one ran across the pillow right next to me :shocked:. It wasn't that big thank God but not nice.

Cognitive Behavioural therapy works quite well for arachnaphobia - I can vouch for it. I used to be really bad but am alot better now but still not cured. What scares me is when they run or when you catch sight of one unexpectedly

Zaul
6th September 2009, 16:24
I was about to say you could perhaps wipe the inside down with citronella oil if they dont like lemon but after reading throught the posts I have another idea. :D

On the Amazon page theres also this particular item-perhaps your daughter would love a play with one of these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spider-Bug-Buster/dp/B000LW1SWG/ref=sr_1_8/276-0733467-4167751?ie=UTF8&s=garden&qid=1252246579&sr=8-8
I would and I dont might spiders at all though I dont particularly like the feeling of holding a thick legged one iyswim.
Wasps now-thats another matter entirely :bolt:

Luctongirl
6th September 2009, 18:09

MissMolly
6th September 2009, 18:24

TIA

A bit dfificult to cut in half but try piercing them with a skewer then hang them up, you should get more flavour coming thro that way.
My grandkids had a bucketful last year so then would just put bowls of them wherever needed

sorry Jo, but that really made me laugh - can just imagine you trying to cut one in half!!

FastlaneJo
6th September 2009, 19:36
sorry Jo, but that really made me laugh - can just imagine you trying to cut one in half!!

Well when you play conkers & whack them the crack quite easy & smash to smithereens so can't imagine it would be that difficult!!

frexy
6th September 2009, 19:42
Well when you play conkers & whack them the crack quite easy & smash to smithereens so can't imagine it would be that difficult!!

Ahh but did you soak yours in vinegar or just bake them :p

Unintended Muse
7th September 2009, 00:00
Note to self - go conker hunting!

The house spiders are early this year and huge. We've never seen so many and OH has had to "relocate" a good few.

I HATE spiders and DD is the same. So what new pets does OH have???? 4... count 'em.. 4 tarantulas! All different types. At the moment they are indoors, but he knows he has to get they rehomed to his shed VERY soon.

Our cat loves bug hunting, but unfortunately only goes after things that fly and seems wary of spiders.

muppet11
7th September 2009, 08:51
thank you for all the replies, looks like i am odd conker hunting soon, when do they fall?

vikki
7th September 2009, 09:39
They are falling now muppet, mostly on my car :rolleyes:

pammy
7th September 2009, 10:39
why dont spiders like conkers??

I have a downstairs loo and they seem to love it in there, my dd wont go in there. I hoover them out every couple of days and they reappear :mad:
that photo sent shivers down my spine.

there does seem to be a lot this year!

goodevans
7th September 2009, 17:30
We get ones like this in the house all the time

Janine

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e79/j9mcl/100_0411.jpg

OMG :eek:!!! :shocked::shocked::shocked:

I'm terrified of them but don't like to kill them so try to be brave and trap in a glass and remove :o But I don't think I'd be brave enough to tackle something that size !:scared: :bolt:

Thankfully a lot decide to appear late after I've gone to bed and DH is the only one up and has to evict them! I don't think he's that keen himself ;)

frexy
7th September 2009, 19:30
why dont spiders like conkers??

I have a downstairs loo and they seem to love it in there, my dd wont go in there. I hoover them out every couple of days and they reappear :mad:
that photo sent shivers down my spine.

there does seem to be a lot this year!

Its either the smell they give off or a residue of some sort.
however it was probably their mother being killed when one fell on her head! and the baby spiders saw it happen.:rolleyes:

madline
8th September 2009, 11:29
glad i'm not the only one having trouble with HUGE spiders this year. went to bed a couple of nights ago and there were THREE on the second step down from the top. i pole vaulted over them but then realised that they were too close to my bedroom for me to sleep in comfort. had to get a large bowl and paper to take them outside 1 by 1. god can't they move fast!!! lots of panics as 2 of them escaped at certain times...one when the paper blew into my face and i just threw the lot down, yuk, yuk, yuk. but the BIGGEST one was in my toddlers bedroom and it ran behind the 4 poster bed. hubby was dealing with this one and not wanting to move the bed i was instructed to get the hoover. now, it is a vax but the spider was hanging on sooo tight, it wouldn't suck it up so unfortunately it HAD to die. i once saw a program about house spiders. they removed and took a large one right to the end of the large overgrown garden and followed it with the cameras... straight back into the house!!!!

muppet11
8th September 2009, 14:42
i always remember this rhyme from when i was a kid

if you want to live and thrive
let a spider run alive

and now i find it very very hard to kill spiders!

rainbowhope
8th September 2009, 15:05
..I had a pet house spider when I was a teenager....used to feed it flies....

and one day my sister walked by and hit it with her glamour magazine !!!!

madline
10th September 2009, 00:33
hi muppet11, i reckon it should read....
if you want to live and thrive
see a spider...and RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!

frexy
10th September 2009, 09:46
Well they do say if there were no spiders to eat the flies then the planet would be knee deep in flies, so I ll just keep the spiders , thanks.

arniep
10th September 2009, 10:28
I REALLY should be reading this thread more closely!!!
I went in my car yesterday and there was cobwebs everywhere (car only cleaned at the weekend) I must admit I'm glad I didn't see the spider while driving otherwise I'd have crashed.
It was a beige colour, massive body (size of a 20p coin), It looked a bit like a hermit crab. I couldn't go near it, my OH had to get rid and clean out the webs.

goodevans
10th September 2009, 17:34
I REALLY should be reading this thread more closely!!!
I went in my car yesterday and there was cobwebs everywhere (car only cleaned at the weekend) I must admit I'm glad I didn't see the spider while driving otherwise I'd have crashed.
It was a beige colour, massive body (size of a 20p coin), It looked a bit like a hermit crab. I couldn't go near it, my OH had to get rid and clean out the webs.

How weird :eek:

I have never seen a beige colour spider before only the brownish garden spiders.

I am afraid you are not living up to your "tough guy" name Arnie!!! :D:D

It's not just us girls panicking over spiders then!

Hope "I'll be back" doesn't apply to this spider !!!

kirsty's mam
10th September 2009, 23:34
..I had a pet house spider when I was a teenager....used to feed it flies....

and one day my sister walked by and hit it with her glamour magazine !!!!

love it!

Scottishmum
11th September 2009, 00:01
I have a pet spider in my car too! "Incy" lives in my wing mirror, he has done for about two years now and he periodically pops out to say hello, realises we're on the move and promptly goes right back in his "house". I do have to clean the web off the mirror every now and again though. lol

SimonJB
11th September 2009, 00:08
Dysons take some beating.

frexy
11th September 2009, 09:35
Dysons take some beating.

Specially when cleaning carpets :wink:

arniep
11th September 2009, 10:46
How weird :eek:

I have never seen a beige colour spider before only the brownish garden spiders.

I am afraid you are not living up to your "tough guy" name Arnie!!! :D:D

It's not just us girls panicking over spiders then!

Hope "I'll be back" doesn't apply to this spider !!!

OH said yesterday that she didn't like the look of it as she could see hairs on it as it was that big.
Unfortunately the nicknames Arnie Palmer, he was a golfer (not that I can play) nothing to do with Arnie (the terminator)
When it comes to spiders I'm as tough as a fart in the wind :)