PDA

View Full Version : Runner Beans

Aardvaak
14th September 2009, 13:17
I have a glut of Runner Beans that I have grown this year.

Can someone please tell me how to freeze them?

I have googled it and some say blanch but others say don't because it makes then soft and mushy when eaten - what do you think?

Waterfall
14th September 2009, 13:24
I blanch them but just literally dip them in the water then dry and freeze :) I love runner beans :)

holliemon
14th September 2009, 13:25
We too have a glut of runner beans and I keep getting more from the neighbour. We are eating them and passing some on.

my mil does not freeze these as she says they do not freeze well or taste good after frozen.

Dolly Daydream
14th September 2009, 13:29
my Gran and Gramp always used to blanch before freezing and they always tasted great hun (great childhood memories coming back to me lol)

WELSH-DRAGON
14th September 2009, 13:42
we blanch them too, have had tonnes off our plants and will be tucking into some on Christmas Day

Welshy x

Aardvaak
14th September 2009, 13:46
Thank you for all your replies

clockwatcher
14th September 2009, 13:51
Blanch them in small batches, dry them off, freeze them in a single layer on a baking tray, then pour them into a tub or freezer bag so they don't stick together in a big lump and you can pour out as many as you want .

Aardvaak
14th September 2009, 14:01
One last question after briefly putting them in boiling water should I plunge them into cold water before drying and bagging?

Second Born
14th September 2009, 14:20
Have you thought about pickling some or making chutney? Pickled runner beans are pretty easy to do.

mmm
14th September 2009, 15:11
I was told to put them in salt water for a bit before freezing, this is instead of blanching.

Must admit Ive not tried them since Ive frozen some

jacijim
14th September 2009, 16:22
ater blanching dunk in ice cold water then dry and freeze:clapping:

Grace & Favour
14th September 2009, 17:06
One last question after briefly putting them in boiling water should I plunge them into cold water before drying and bagging?

Yes - 'tis recommended, - the sole purpose is to remove any heat and stop them cooking further

Aardvaak
14th September 2009, 18:28
Thank you everyone for your replies

frexy
14th September 2009, 20:52
They are very good in a mustard pickle, bit like picallili but made only with runner beans.

Betty Boo
14th September 2009, 22:01
I never blanche mine. I use my bean stringer to slice them up then chuck them in a bag and bung them in the freezer. I like to save some for xmas dinner. They never go mushy. :D

Mamzie
14th September 2009, 22:43
We don't blanch either, just string, slice and bag...

Unfortunately for the first year we have none due to dh being so il in spring :(

Mosaic
14th September 2009, 23:22
I never blanche mine. I use my bean stringer to slice them up then chuck them in a bag and bung them in the freezer. I like to save some for xmas dinner. They never go mushy. :D

We don't blanche ours either & they always taste great.
What's a bean stringer? Sounds as if it would save me loads of time!

Addy
15th September 2009, 00:13
Have to say my dad's runner beans never froze very well, I wonder if it depends on the variety?

frexy
15th September 2009, 09:47
Have to say my dad's runner beans never froze very well, I wonder if it depends on the variety?

Could be as mine were the same.

flossycandy
15th September 2009, 14:47
We blanched some and just froze some and they tasted the same. They dont taste as nice as they do fresh but at least it spread them out a bit.

I am just being over run with tomatoes now!!

Betty Boo
15th September 2009, 20:02
We don't blanche ours either & they always taste great.
What's a bean stringer? Sounds as if it would save me loads of time!

The bean stringer is ace. It has a small blade at the top to cut the ends of the bean, then you push the bean lengthways through the middle 3 blades and it take off the edges (the stringy bits) and cuts the bean into strips. Very quick and easy.

Looks like this one on ebay but you should be able to find them in the 1 shops

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RUNNER-BEAN-SLICER-DE-STRINGER-EASY-TO-USE-LOW-PRICE_W0QQitemZ290350209791QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_K itchen_Accessories?hash=item439a389aff&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14